"Active Shooter" video game lets you be school shooter

One of the complaints I always hear about the NRA is that they don't care about anything but money. And this game manufacturer doesn't? At least the NRA teaches gun safety and fights in court to protect 2nd amendment rights. Is there any redeeming quality of a games that allows the player to be a school shooter? (rhetorical question).
We're not supposed to see anything questionable here.

Question it, and there is something wrong with YOU.

Which tells you a lot about where we are as a country.

One of the complaints I always hear about the NRA is that they don't care about anything but money. And this game manufacturer doesn't? At least the NRA teaches gun safety and fights in court to protect 2nd amendment rights. Is there any redeeming quality of a games that allows the player to be a school shooter? (rhetorical question).

uh, no mac.

literally everyone was saying the game was distasteful.

if literally everyone sees something questionable with the game...where does whiny mac get the impression that "we're not supposed to see anything questionable?"

You should probably consider that for a while, in a corner.

I thought at first you were interesting; I don't believe I've ever met you before. But you're sounding like one of them "very fine people" Trump was talking about in Charlottesville. I'm keeping an open mind, though.

For heaven's sake, OL, I've been here five years, off and on --- and lately quite recently. I've talked to you again and again. Many times.

But that's okay ---- MY feelings aren't hurt!
But that's okay ---- MY feelings aren't hurt!
Thank God for that, and I mean it.

Mac, you must be pleased that the gaming platform pulled the game due to public outcry. Social media has it's downside, but sometimes it actually allows good stuff to happen. A lot of good people said No way. So maybe the news isn't totally bleak.

Mac, you must be pleased that the gaming platform pulled the game due to public outcry. Social media has it's downside, but sometimes it actually allows good stuff to happen. A lot of good people said No way. So maybe the news isn't totally bleak.
Yeah, I dont know what thread or public backlash he was reading...

but pretty much EVERYONE thought it was a boneheaded game to make.

Our discussion was basically on not wanting censorship by law, and the effects of violence in entertainment......he seems to have gotten confused and mistook that for support for the game.

Based on violent crime decreasing?

I took the time out to GIVE YOU THE DATA....
I knew you'd say that. I heard you. I am comparing our culture today to what I remember as a kid and what other posters here remember about bringing their guns to school for rifle practice after school and such. A school shooting was completely undreamed of. A mass shooting was unheard of until the UT Austin Clock Tower shooting in 1966. Gunned down a flock of student nurses, if I remember right. It was 18 years until the next one, at a McDonalds in California. Then they start happening with more regularity, every couple of years. Now they're happening every year or more than once a year. This year will probably be a red letter year, considering we've already had two and it's not even June yet.

You're right that the homicide rate now is comparable to when I started grade school. Where, then, are these mass shootings coming from? That is not a figment of my imagination. And they were not around in 1960.
It's not a figment of your imagination - the error, so to speak, in your reasoning is that you're using anecdotes and deciding that culture as a whole behaves this way.

Even if there were 100 school shootings a year, our culture does not "behave this way," that's still a very OUTLIER statistic from the norm.

If you didn't impose anecdotes on everyone, i.e. fallacy of over-generalization, you'd be able to see the clearer picture.

School shootings up - overall homicide down = less violent, per capita, as a culture.
You have been trying to convince me for two days now that we are less violent a culture than we were thirty or forty years ago. To what end, G.T. Where do we go from here? Is it simply to correct me? I have looked at the stats. You aren't wrong. I am still very concerned about the increasing mass shootings that are happening in places all over the country with more and more frequency and you are saying this is not a reflection of our culture? Whose or what culture is it, then, if not ours? It may be an outlier, but it is sure making itself felt all over the country. We can't ignore it and say we're fine because we're murdering less people now than we did in 1990. You are puzzling me.
If your family has 100, 000 people in it and 5 of them like to pee in public...

is the culture of your 100,000 person family one of public pissers?

It's a disturbed thing to say that our culture is one of mass shooters . .when not only are mass shooters less than the scenario I painted above ....but 5 in 100,000 would be ALL homicides....not just school shooters, which makes it even MORE heinous to try to paint this as a "thing of our culture."

its totally not, CLEARLY. Its the culture of a handful of jerkoffs out of 320 fuckin MILLION people....NOT of everyone else.
If it's not our culture, why are we coming up with GTA and Active Shooter and why is shooting people such a staple of the entertainment industry? What would you call it? Just because you don't LIKE them doesn't mean they aren't ours, G.T. We gotta own them and we gotta figure out what to do about them.
Then its the entire worlds culture. The ENTIRE world, OL. Violent video games are LOVED ALL OVER THE WORLD.
And yes, the culture of those that have less mass shootings than we do.
Explain that. With logic, of course ;)

It's not a figment of your imagination - the error, so to speak, in your reasoning is that you're using anecdotes and deciding that culture as a whole behaves this way.

Even if there were 100 school shootings a year, our culture does not "behave this way," that's still a very OUTLIER statistic from the norm.

If you didn't impose anecdotes on everyone, i.e. fallacy of over-generalization, you'd be able to see the clearer picture.

School shootings up - overall homicide down = less violent, per capita, as a culture.
You have been trying to convince me for two days now that we are less violent a culture than we were thirty or forty years ago. To what end, G.T. Where do we go from here? Is it simply to correct me? I have looked at the stats. You aren't wrong. I am still very concerned about the increasing mass shootings that are happening in places all over the country with more and more frequency and you are saying this is not a reflection of our culture? Whose or what culture is it, then, if not ours? It may be an outlier, but it is sure making itself felt all over the country. We can't ignore it and say we're fine because we're murdering less people now than we did in 1990. You are puzzling me.

It's a disturbed thing to say that our culture is one of mass shooters . .when not only are mass shooters less than the scenario I painted above ....but 5 in 100,000 would be ALL homicides....not just school shooters, which makes it even MORE heinous to try to paint this as a "thing of our culture."

its totally not, CLEARLY. Its the culture of a handful of jerkoffs out of 320 fuckin MILLION people....NOT of everyone else.
If it's not our culture, why are we coming up with GTA and Active Shooter and why is shooting people such a staple of the entertainment industry? What would you call it? Just because you don't LIKE them doesn't mean they aren't ours, G.T. We gotta own them and we gotta figure out what to do about them.
Whoa -

So you're willing to say that this millionth of a fraction of mentally ill idiots - speaks for our entire culture?

I just hope that you know how preposterous that actually is.

If one kid swears in my Kylie's kindergarten class, I wouldn't even call that 1 in 25 the "culture of the class," unfairly....let alone it being one in tens of millions.

This is not an accurate perspective, by any means, of the situation. It's actually quite crazy to think of it in those terms.

Even if 1% of our "culture" were homicidal school shooters, we'd have 3 million 200 school shooters. That broad-brush crap doesn't stand to reason.
G.T., I'm not the one who's crazy here. You can't just say a growing number of disturbed individuals in this country are not part of our culture. No, of course saying our culture has to own them doesn't mean everyone thinks like them or is disturbed or psychopathic like them. I know you personally didn't produce Cruz; neither did I. But he grew up right here in this US of A .
So did Nathan bedford forrest. So did A shitload of serial killers that raped and ate their victims. Does that mean its our culture?

I knew you'd say that. I heard you. I am comparing our culture today to what I remember as a kid and what other posters here remember about bringing their guns to school for rifle practice after school and such. A school shooting was completely undreamed of. A mass shooting was unheard of until the UT Austin Clock Tower shooting in 1966. Gunned down a flock of student nurses, if I remember right. It was 18 years until the next one, at a McDonalds in California. Then they start happening with more regularity, every couple of years. Now they're happening every year or more than once a year. This year will probably be a red letter year, considering we've already had two and it's not even June yet.

You're right that the homicide rate now is comparable to when I started grade school. Where, then, are these mass shootings coming from? That is not a figment of my imagination. And they were not around in 1960.

Then its the entire worlds culture. The ENTIRE world, OL. Violent video games are LOVED ALL OVER THE WORLD.
I've been rooting around and found this article, which blows my theory and several others about the "people problem" out of the water. Unfortunately for you, it pretty persuasively argues for our easy access to guns as the only actual factor that sets us apart from other countries as far as gun homicides go.
We both lose.
Gun Violence: Is It a People Problem?

I've been rooting around and found this article, which blows my theory and several others about the "people problem" out of the water. Unfortunately for you, it pretty persuasively argues for our easy access to guns as the only actual factor that sets us apart from other countries as far as gun homicides go.
We both lose.

We all have the same culture. The entire world. This isnt an American thing. The entire planet is obsessed with violence on the tele.

Whoa -

So you're willing to say that this millionth of a fraction of mentally ill idiots - speaks for our entire culture?

If one kid swears in my Kylie's kindergarten class, I wouldn't even call that 1 in 25 the "culture of the class," unfairly....let alone it being one in tens of millions.

This is not an accurate perspective, by any means, of the situation. It's actually quite crazy to think of it in those terms.

Even if 1% of our "culture" were homicidal school shooters, we'd have 3 million 200 school shooters. That broad-brush crap doesn't stand to reason.
G.T., I'm not the one who's crazy here. You can't just say a growing number of disturbed individuals in this country are not part of our culture. No, of course saying our culture has to own them doesn't mean everyone thinks like them or is disturbed or psychopathic like them. I know you personally didn't produce Cruz; neither did I. But he grew up right here in this US of A .
So did Nathan bedford forrest. So did A shitload of serial killers that raped and ate their victims. Does that mean its our culture?
I don't believe we can simply say "They're bad so they're not one of us." They are one of us. If you look up "What is culture?" you will receive about 10 different, hazy definitions at once.
Rather than say "It's not our culture that produces so many gun murderers each year," tell me what our culture IS, then.

We both lose.

We all have the same culture. The entire world. This isnt an American thing. The entire planet is obsessed with violence on the tele.
Read it.

Whoa -

I don't believe we can simply say "They're bad so they're not one of us." They are one of us. If you look up "What is culture?" you will receive about 10 different, hazy definitions at once.
Rather than say "It's not our culture that produces so many gun murderers each year," tell me what our culture IS, then.
They are/were Americans. That was not my point.
If you understood your point more, you would understand mine.

Whoa -

I can play that game, too, TN, but I'm not going to. You want to talk, I'm ready. You want to start telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, forget it.

We both lose.

Read it.
I read a little bit of it. I dont care to hear about how ridding the country of guns is the only solution.
"make it harder to get guns illegally" :rofl:

Whoa -

I can play that game, too, TN, but I'm not going to. You want to talk, I'm ready. You want to start telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, forget it.
I used your own argument against you.
Are we a culture that rapes and eats each other?

No, we shoot each other.

Whoa -

Obviously, you'd look for norms to describe a group's culture.

Being a school shooter is not normal, therefore it's not our Culture but instead an OUTLIER.

No, we shoot each other.
geez louise...

Whoa -

Obviously, you'd look for norms to describe a group's culture.

Being a school shooter is not normal, therefore it's not our Culture but instead an OUTLIER.
.004% of the country is a transexual, which is more than gun homicide
I guess transexualism is our culture! :badgrin:

Instead of being somewhat glad that we're doing SOMEthing right, in becoming a less violent culture, we are focused on a Political Hot topic and instead of being mad at Murderers in general now, we are going to focus on their tool of choice, of the minute.

I bet if the Vegas shooter took a mac truck through the center of that concert crowd going 45mph, he would have killed as many folks and then we'd have to have a serious discussion regarding Mac Trucks instead of the brain-state of a human that makes them want to mass-kill folks.

Should we even SELL pressure cookers, though? Or the nails and shrapnel that goes inside of them?

Stop having concerts or marathons, or going to school?????

Because simply changing the weapons of choice isn't the answer to stopping people from wanting to kill. These arguments lack the intellectual DEPTH it would take to decipher the root causes, here.

It's not our culture, because it's statistically rare.
It's not only guns that mass-kill folks - and it's impossible to completely eradicate mass murder weapons with automobiles, bombs, etc..

What should we talk about?

Forum List

Back