Actor’s homophobia made her commercially toxic, tribunal told

Too bad Britain doesn't have Freedom of Speech.

Oh, wait,

that only works if you are a minority.
Freedom of speech doesn’t mean there aren’t repercussions for what you say. And last I checked, the theatre group isn’t the government. Personally I wouldn’t want to work with a hate filled pos.

you also give up some of your freedom of speech when your words reflect on your employer.

funny how trumpkins only care about free speech when it’s filled with hate. I don’t recall the radical right defending The Dixie Chicks.

whiny angry white males are pathetic
White folk aren't chucking gays off roofs, that's brown folk.
Most of thenhomophobic murders in Europe is carried out by recently arrived Arabs and Africans.
White folk are the nicest people on the planet if you think about it.

Oh, wait,

It's not a matter of Freedom of Speech. It's a matter of lack of professionalism.

She was hired to play a gay character. She said she didn't read the script and didn't realize the character was supposed to be gay. (You'd think that would be the first thing you'd do as an actor or actress, but never mind.) She then complained about her job on social media, which will probably get you fired in any profession.
Which has nothing to do with the statement that Britain DOES NOT HVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
What has actually happened here that would not have happened in the US ? I am genuinely interested in this.

A couple of weeks ago there were reports of Capitol rioters being sacked after being identified by their employers. Surely that is a freedom of speech issue and suggests that we have similar boundaries?

wrong your government criminalizes free speech we don't.
Nobody is being criminalised for their views. The issues here are commercial and operational. It would be no different in the US. American workers would be sacked if their activities meant that they couldnt,or wouldnt, do the job that they were hired to do. That's standard in any contract of employment.

Oh, wait,

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean there aren’t repercussions for what you say. And last I checked, the theatre group isn’t the government. Personally I wouldn’t want to work with a hate filled pos.

you also give up some of your freedom of speech when your words reflect on your employer.

funny how trumpkins only care about free speech when it’s filled with hate. I don’t recall the radical right defending The Dixie Chicks.

Most of thenhomophobic murders in Europe is carried out by recently arrived Arabs and Africans.
You dont have a link for that.Why do you make things up ?

Oh, wait,

It's not a matter of Freedom of Speech. It's a matter of lack of professionalism.

She was hired to play a gay character. She said she didn't read the script and didn't realize the character was supposed to be gay. (You'd think that would be the first thing you'd do as an actor or actress, but never mind.) She then complained about her job on social media, which will probably get you fired in any profession.
Which has nothing to do with the statement that Britain DOES NOT HVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
What has actually happened here that would not have happened in the US ? I am genuinely interested in this.

A couple of weeks ago there were reports of Capitol rioters being sacked after being identified by their employers. Surely that is a freedom of speech issue and suggests that we have similar boundaries?

Nobody is being criminalised for their views. The issues here are commercial and operational. It would be no different in the US. American workers would be sacked if their activities meant that they couldnt,or wouldnt, do the job that they were hired to do. That's standard in any contract of employment.
The reality in Britain is that speech can be a reason to jail someone, or are you going to deny that?

Oh, wait,

The reality in Britain is that speech can be a reason to jail someone, or are you going to deny that?
I am not aware of any but I suspect that you have some dusty example. However you are moving from the original example. Do you accept that you posted shite ?

I really dont understand why she is suing the theatre. I do suspect that some fundie group is financing this.

Tommys view -- She should take her backward beliefs and fuck off back under a rock.
Is refusing to play the part of a fag homophobic?

She did accept the role.

Oh, wait,

Why should it??
i've heard loads of actors complaining about roles they had to play, and how they found it difficult.
You can't force people to like your lifestyle.

Oh, wait,

A link for what??

Oh, wait,

A link for what??

Your ridiculous claims.

Lets see... what happens in Britain if a person peacefully quotes the bible and calls homosexuals an abomination? What happens in Britain if a person points out that Islam is a violent religion and supports terrorism?

Oh, wait,

A link for what??

Your ridiculous claims.
So you think it's Dutch men beating up gays in Amsterdam??
Do you think it's young German men attacking gays in Berlin??
Or Englishmen cutting the throats of gays in Reading??
If you do, then you're incredobly naive.

Lets see... what happens in Britain if a person peacefully quotes the bible and calls homosexuals an abomination? What happens in Britain if a person points out that Islam is a violent religion and supports terrorism?

Why would anyone do that?

I think she has a right not to accept homosexual roles and to say her religion opposes it.

Oh, wait,

A link for what??

Your ridiculous claims.
So you think it's Dutch men beating up gays in Amsterdam??
Do you think it's young German men attacking gays in Berlin??
Or Englishmen cutting the throats of gays in Reading??
If you do, then you're incredobly naive.

We are talking about a young actress who signed on to play Celie in the Color Purple.

Oh, wait,

Why should it??
i've heard loads of actors complaining about roles they had to play, and how they found it difficult.
You can't force people to like your lifestyle.

She didn't say the role was difficult....

Oh, wait,

Ms Omooba may consider herself to be part of a minority but that is irrelevant in this instance.

She was hired to play a lesbian character and refused to do so. That leaves the theatre with a big problem.

They should sue her for wasting their time and money.

Your linked article said that she was fired for a facebook post from 2014, not for refusing to follow directions.

Either you are confused, or the article is very poorly written.

To be clear, if she accepted a role and then refused to play it, that would be on her. The question then becomes, why did she accept the role.

But, the facts as presented, it seems she was just sacked for having the wrong thoughts.

In what context ?
doesn't matter, in the US no one goes to jail for saying that no matter where or why.

Forum List

Back