Admitting you're gay warrents a call from the president?

I'm not seeing this as big news and I'm not seeing it worthy of a phone call by a President.

As a citizen, president, basketball fan, and champion of equal rights - the president had every right to call.

Collins paves way for gay athletes | Comcast

This stems from many things — religious beliefs, misunderstanding, ignorance, fear, simple hate. This is what Jason Collins has thrust himself into, what, in part, he has beckoned by being the first to raise his hand.

Ok so can someone tell me the ignorance angle on this? Do people not know why they think homos are wrong? Does it really have to be spelled out to people like this?

A nobody basketball player admits he's gay on Facebook and suddenly it's national news? And it's followed up with a call from the president?

Seriously?

We are so fucked as a nation.

He's made himself a target for Republican and right wing hate. We know how deep that runs. And he's black too? That makes him a hero.

You got any proof of what you post?

This whole Jason Collins thing is kind of bullshit. If you know me, you know I'm fiercely pro-LGBT rights. But this whole thing is just a marginal over the hill basketball player trying to grab some notoriety and maybe one last contract.

I called it a month ago when all the buzz of leagues bracing for the potential of the first gay player and I called it that a marginal player who likely doesn't have a lot of business prospects will be the first to come out to get all the potential money and get a place in history. That's exactly who Jason Collins is.

At the end of the day, I don't understand how what a guy likes to put his dick impacts his basketball ability. If being a homosexual made you a better basketball player the Thunder would've had a championship already.

Last edited:
A nobody basketball player admits he's gay on Facebook and suddenly it's national news? And it's followed up with a call from the president?

Seriously?

We are so fucked as a nation.
Obama might have asked him out for a date .

Why not call a cancer center to declare support?
Why not support jobs?
Why not support science?

This is a stupid thing to come out for.

This whole Jason Collins thing is kind of bullshit. If you know me, you know I'm fiercely pro-LGBT rights. But this whole thing is just a marginal over the hill basketball player trying to grab some notoriety and maybe one last contract.

I called it a month ago when all the buzz of leagues bracing for the potential of the first gay player and I called it that a marginal player who likely doesn't have a lot of business prospects will be the first to come out to get all the potential money and get a place in history. That's exactly who Jason Collins is.

At the end of the day, I don't understand how what a guy likes to put his dick impacts his basketball ability. If being a homosexual made you a better basketball player the Thunder would've had a championship already.

It is kind of a big deal. I saw Martina Navritilova on a clip saying she came out 30 years ago and still nobody has ever admitted they are gay in major sports.

This guy has talked about it being a giant weight being lifted from his shoulders. It was important for him to say it out loud. What if someone outed him one day? Then the stigma is still there, he did it his way and on his terms.

I congratulate him.

It is kind of a big deal. I saw Martina Navritilova on a clip saying she came out 30 years ago and still nobody has ever admitted they are gay in major sports.

That's because it pretty much kills his marketability for endorsements. How many straight guys are going to buy products endorsed by a gay athlete? almost none, I guarantee you. I can just see the kiddies on the playground giving one of the gang a hard time over his fag sneakers or his pansy shoes.

That's because it pretty much kills his marketability for endorsements. How many straight guys are going to buy products endorsed by a gay athlete? almost none, I guarantee you. I can just see the kiddies on the playground giving one of the gang a hard time over his fag sneakers or his pansy shoes.

Thus the stigma I mentioned in my post. It shouldn't matter this much whether someone is gay. Kids have committed suicide over the kind of bullying you speak of, it has to stop. Jason was courageous.

320768_590223361002204_2037123403_n.jpg

Unless you think every gay person in the world who does not announce their sexual preference in a national magazine is a coward I do not see how you can claim this guy is courageous. Do you expect him to face prison, serious bodily injury, or death because he announced he is gay? What the fuck makes what he did any more courageous than walking across the street?

Seriously? Let's be just slightly honest. It's not a life or death situation, at least we will hope. At the same time, it is actually a big step in the sports world. Not recognizing that shows ignorance.

Is it? Or is the big deal in the minds of small minded bigots?
:clap2:

He should be focusing on jobs, rebuilding this country and getting to mars. Anything else isn't worth talking about.

Forum List

Back