Advice for a simple man, please.

If members show no courtesy for my rep, I stop reping them..I figure they're just freeloading takers..:beer:

If someone repeatedly doesn't thank me or acknowledge my reps to them, in any way, I feel they are trying to tell me something, e.g., they don't want my reps, so I stop repping them and and find someone who does. :D There are many good posts and posters here.

A good point, but it can be difficult to remember. That's where the simple part comes in. :redface::razz:

So...you weren't giving rep for rep's sake? But rather for a notion of a pat on the back?

Among other things courtesy shows good character, my kinda people.

However...if the post was worthy and deserved rep in your opinion, why wouldn't that be good enough...to give without expecting to receive?

You know something Jan? There is "one" person at this site, that I "thank very" often and rep, too, even though I have never heard back from her in any way. The reason I continue to show her my appreciation, is 99% of anything she has ever posted, I agree with completely and I like her style and the way she states her well-informed thoughts. It's amazing.

It doesn't bother me in the least that I never hear back from her. I think she is so enlightened on just about any topic, she doesn't care one way or another about reps or thanks. She has given out very few "thanks" to anyone. She is just here to share opinions and facts and I am grateful. I have also learned much from her and that is another reason I continue to show her my gratitude.

I think she is great and she posts often and I race to read anything she says.

"We don't agree with the opinions of others; we simply agree with our own opinions expressed by others."

Last edited:
Who is she, if you don't mind saying?

One person comes to mind, but I think she always says thanks. Then again..maybe she doesn't. I don't really pay much attention on who thanks for me rep or not. I get side tracked easily anyway, so never remember who does and who doesn't. :)

Last edited:
Among other things courtesy shows good character, my kinda people.

However...if the post was worthy and deserved rep in your opinion, why wouldn't that be good enough...to give without expecting to receive?

You know something Jan? There is "one" person at this site, that I "thank very" often and rep, too, even though I have never heard back from her in any way. The reason I continue to show her my appreciation, is 99% of anything she has ever posted, I agree with completely and I like her style and the way she states her well-informed thoughts. It's amazing.

It doesn't bother me in the least that I never hear back from her. I think she is so enlightened on just about any topic, she doesn't care one way or another about reps or thanks. She has given out very few "thanks" to anyone. She is just here to share opinions and facts and I am grateful. I have also learned much from her and that is another reason I continue to show her my gratitude.

I think she is great and she posts often and I race to read anything she says.

"We don't agree with the opinions of others; we simply agree with our own opinions expressed by others."

Now that's giving rep for rep's sake...thinking a post is worthy In some way. Now...by worthy what I really mean is that the post in some way hit home with me in one way or another. I've given rep for funny comments, music choices, a well thought out opinion, etc. I don't really expect anything in return...it's more about the giving.

I don't know...we're all different and have different motivations...but indeed rep can be manipulated.

It oughta be in the song somewheres...
:cool:
Simple Man
by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Mama told me
When I was young
Come sit beside me
My only son
And listen closely
To what I say
And if you do this it'll help you some sunny day (Oh yeah)

Oh take your time
Don't live too fast
Troubles will come
And they will pass
Go find a woman
And you'll find love
And don't forget son, there is someone up above

And be a simple kind of man
Oh be somethin' you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son, if you can?

Forget your lust
For the rich man's gold
All that you need
Is in your soul
And you can do this
If you try
All that I want for you my son, is to be satisfied
[| From: Song Lyrics |]

Oh won't you do this for me son, if you can? (Oh yes I will)

Boy don't you worry
You'll find yourself
Follow your heart
And nothing else
And you can do this, oh babe, if you try

Baby be a simple, be a simple man
Oh be somethin' you love and understand...

SIMPLE MAN Lyrics - LYNYRD SKYNYRD

Since we're on the topic of reputation, please allow me to entertain another question.

Is it allowed to create a thread with the purpose of generating reputation for all?

That sounds like it would be fun.
icon_smile_2cents.gif

Since we're on the topic of reputation, please allow me to entertain another question.

Is it allowed to create a thread with the purpose of generating reputation for all?

icon_smile_2cents.gif

There used to be a free rep thread awhile ago. I can't remember what happened to it anymore.

icon_smile_2cents.gif

Yes, it is allowed. Others here have done so, so I do not see why you can not either. :)

It oughta be in the song somewheres...
:cool:
Simple Man
by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Mama told me
When I was young
Come sit beside me
My only son
And listen closely
To what I say
And if you do this it'll help you some sunny day (Oh yeah)

Oh take your time
Don't live too fast
Troubles will come
And they will pass
Go find a woman
And you'll find love
And don't forget son, there is someone up above

Forget your lust
For the rich man's gold
All that you need
Is in your soul
And you can do this
If you try
[| From: Song Lyrics |]

Oh won't you do this for me son, if you can? (Oh yes I will)

Boy don't you worry
You'll find yourself
Follow your heart
And nothing else
And you can do this, oh babe, if you try

Baby be a simple, be a simple man
Oh be somethin' you love and understand...

SIMPLE MAN Lyrics - LYNYRD SKYNYRD

[ame=http://youtu.be/EN8GLfOecOY]Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man HQ (lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

Posted this on the first page luv....((((uncle ferd)))) :)

My advice.....use the positive rep button only. Understand that most of the neg rep you get will be due to the fact that somebody is butthurt. It is their way of admitting defeat.

I often give positive rep to let someone know that they are an idiot. I can't tell you how many times I have been accused of making a mistake by the habitually confused dummies.

The little colored "pills" and stars I don't pay much attention to. The only thing that "matters" is the Rep Power. Take that number and compare it to the number of post someone has made and you have the real reputation. For instance if someone has 800 rep power and 8000 posts, and someone else has only 400 points but has only 2000 posts...the guy with 400 points has a better reputation.
Some only look at the Rep power, but the real number is the rep points divided by number of posts.
Just my 2 cents.

You have 1238 rep points. If you repped me, I would gain 1238 points from you. How does this have anything to do with your posts?

What he's saying has certain validity. The rep to post ratio does say a lot about how well a person is regarded.
Take you, for instance. You have 7,688 posts and a rep power of 1,452 giving you a rep to post ratio of 5.3, in other words 1 rep power point for every 5.3 posts. (A decent ratio, by the way)
Mine is 2.9 posts per rep point.
Rdean's is 114.1
Freedombecki's is 2.5
bodecea's is 30.1
AquaAthena's is 1.4 (truly Goddess-like)

I'm confused on this reputation thing, to be honest with you.

These things "
reputation_green.gif
" are a bit confusing. It's a point of reputation. You can get quite a few of them and they're indicators of one's rep. However, there's also this: "Rep Power: 49." I just got +repped twice, and that number didn't change, but I got a few more of those green bar thingies.

Also, I see this message on my CP above Rep notifications: "48551 point(s) total." It was at around 4,000 or so a day or two ago.

How does this all work, please? :redface:

Just PM a moderator and opt out.

I'm confused on this reputation thing, to be honest with you.

These things "
reputation_green.gif
" are a bit confusing. It's a point of reputation. You can get quite a few of them and they're indicators of one's rep. However, there's also this: "Rep Power: 49." I just got +repped twice, and that number didn't change, but I got a few more of those green bar thingies.

Also, I see this message on my CP above Rep notifications: "48551 point(s) total." It was at around 4,000 or so a day or two ago.

How does this all work, please? :redface:

Just PM a moderator and opt out.

Why would you tell him to do that?

Forum List

Back