Afghan villagers though Bergdahl was covert operator

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
"The Washington Post has reached Afghan villagers who spotted Bergdahl shortly after he slipped away from his base. To them, it’s clear something was wrong with the American. And he seemed to be deliberately heading for Taliban strongholds, they say.
“It was very confusing to us. Why would he leave the base?” said Jamal, an elder in the village of Yusef Khel, about a half-mile from the American military installation. (Like many Afghans, he goes by only one name). “The people thought it was a covert agenda – maybe he was sent to the village by the U.S.”
Locals remember Bergdahl walking through the village in a haze. They later told Afghan investigators that they had warned the American that he was heading into a dangerous area.
“They tried to tell him not to go there, that it is dangerous. But he kept going over the mountain. The villagers tried to give him water and bread, but he didn’t take it,” said Ibrahim Manikhel, the district’s intelligence chief.
“Why would an American want to find the Taliban?”

Why, indeed...

Exclusive: Afghan villagers recall when Bergdahl stumbled into their midst - The Washington Post

"The Washington Post has reached Afghan villagers who spotted Bergdahl shortly after he slipped away from his base. To them, it’s clear something was wrong with the American. And he seemed to be deliberately heading for Taliban strongholds, they say.
“It was very confusing to us. Why would he leave the base?” said Jamal, an elder in the village of Yusef Khel, about a half-mile from the American military installation. (Like many Afghans, he goes by only one name). “The people thought it was a covert agenda – maybe he was sent to the village by the U.S.”
Locals remember Bergdahl walking through the village in a haze. They later told Afghan investigators that they had warned the American that he was heading into a dangerous area.
“They tried to tell him not to go there, that it is dangerous. But he kept going over the mountain. The villagers tried to give him water and bread, but he didn’t take it,” said Ibrahim Manikhel, the district’s intelligence chief.

Why, indeed...

Exclusive: Afghan villagers recall when Bergdahl stumbled into their midst - The Washington Post

And watch this be covered up. The troops I heard on with Hannity heard the radio chatter about an American seeking out the Taliban.

This guy is a scumbag.

Because he wasn't. He's just run of the mill Taliban Douche.

Why, indeed...

Doesn't it seem a little curious as to why he was described as "walking in a haze" and it was only a half mile from the installation. Now, I don't know the terrain that he had to traverse, but say it was grueling, why would he turn down "bread and water"?

If he was in a bad place mentally or physically wht not go to his superior.
One of the guys talking to Hannity today was the company "Doc"...he stated Bergdahl never spoke about his family, and seemed distant, albeit he never went to the 'Doc' with any issues.

I am also of the understanding that he was rejected by the French Foreign legion...so he joined the Army...

Bowe Bergdahl is released after being the only U.S. soldier held by Taliban | Mail Online

Even Bergdahl’s devoted parents admit he made for a highly unconventional soldier. They home-schooled the boy, instilling in him their Christian values. He was outdoorsy, able to shoot a .22 rifle and ride a horse by the age of five. Later, he travelled around Europe and applied to join the French Foreign Legion but was turned down, reportedly because recruiters doubted his mental stability. Instead, he joined the U.S. Army, but from the start he kept apart from other soldiers, whom he saw as ill-disciplined and hopeless.

Why, indeed...

Doesn't it seem a little curious as to why he was described as "walking in a haze" and it was only a half mile from the installation. Now, I don't know the terrain that he had to traverse, but say it was grueling, why would he turn down "bread and water"?

When have you ever heard of a Taliban lunatic who wasn't in a haze?

He turned down bread and water because among the Taliban, once you accept food/water (or give it) from a person, they are your family and you are obliged to protect them.

He was planning on turning over information to the Taliban...and do you know what they do to people who provide succor to Americans? If he went to them after being helped by the villagers they plan to kill, he would have been killed along with them as one of them.

Last edited:

Why, indeed...

He turned down bread and water because among the Taliban, once you accept food/water (or give it) from a person, they are your family and you are obliged to protect them.

He was planning on turning over information to the Taliban...and do you know what they do to people who provide succor to Americans? If he went to them after being helped by the villagers they plan to kill, he would have been killed along with them as one of them.

He is an American soldier, if he was a HOSTAGE of the Taliban, how can he be Taliban?

I haven't heard of that custom; I'm not sure what you are saying is accurate. I have heard of the custom that if the villagers give you food and water, they are obligated to protect you (see Marcus Luttrell's book Lone Survivor).

Your last paragraph is conjecture, I think that there is a lot more to the story that we are hearing. Maybe he has some good intel for us.That said; if in fact he did desert, he should be subject of Court Martial for it, if in fact he did feed information to the Taliban he should be tried for Treason.

Either kosher is pushing a lie by The Washington Post (no surprise) or Bergdahl apparently was nutso.

Yeah I wonder if the American Troops who searched for him (and died) were made aware of Bergdahl's mental state.

Their parents were told they were hunting for a Taliban operative.

and all of those guys are loons.

He is an American soldier, if he was a HOSTAGE of the Taliban, how can he be Taliban?

I haven't heard of that custom; I'm not sure what you are saying is accurate. I have heard of the custom that if the villagers give you food and water, they are obligated to protect you (see Marcus Luttrell's book Lone Survivor).

Your last paragraph is conjecture, I think that there is a lot more to the story that we are hearing. Maybe he has some good intel for us.That said; if in fact he did desert, he should be subject of Court Martial for it, if in fact he did feed information to the Taliban he should be tried for Treason.

I've read the book.

Pashtunwali: "Melmastia (hospitality) - Showing hospitality and profound respect to all visitors, regardless of race, religion, national affiliation or economic status and doing so without any hope of remuneration or favour. Pashtuns will go to great lengths to show their hospitality."

Nanawatai (asylum) - ...this refers to the protection given to a person against his or her enemies. People are protected at all costs; even those running from the law must be given refuge until the situation can be clarified....A notable example is that of Navy Petty Officer First Class Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of a US Navy SEAL team ambushed by Taliban fighters. Wounded, he evaded the enemy and was aided by members of the Sabray tribe who took him to their village. The tribal chief protected him, fending off attacking tribes until word was sent to nearby US forces."

Pashtunwali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They take it very seriously.

Last edited:
Oh..and...he wasn't a hostage. He was a "hostage".

I'd bet money he didn't want to come back to the US.

Forum List

Back