After 54 Years, The U.S. And Cuba Formally Restore Ties

Unbelievable. Obama befriending Islam and communists.

But no, he loves America.

If we can have diplomatic relations with China and the Saudis, why shouldn't we with Cuba
I don't recall China and the Saudis being overrun by a soviet puppet communist regime in the height of the Cold War, cutting off a very popular preexisting trade with the US and prompting isolation from the rest of the free world while starving their people.
For that, obama rewards the Castro's with more US money.
Impeach this hack president before we become Cuba II.

I'm pretty much not leaning one way or other on this one. If it leads to a resurgence of American mobster movies, well that would tip the scale to the plus side.

If we can have diplomatic relations with China and the Saudis, why shouldn't we with Cuba
I don't recall China and the Saudis being overrun by a soviet puppet communist regime in the height of the Cold War, cutting off a very popular preexisting trade with the US and prompting isolation from the rest of the free world while starving their people.

Prompting isolation form the rest of the free world ?

I don't think so. The entire free world was trading with Cuba all along..The American governments embargo denied only America and nobody else.

I'm pretty much not leaning one way or other on this one. If it leads to a resurgence of American mobster movies, well that would tip the scale to the plus side.

I've kinda had my fill of gangster movies to be honest with you. Zombie & vampire movies too, for that matter.

Prompting isolation form the rest of the free world ?

I don't think so. The entire free world was trading with Cuba all along..The American governments embargo denied only America and nobody else.
They only traded with the Castro's, not Cuba.

I have dibs on the used car franchise!!!!!!!!!!!
Good idea!

I'll bet there are some exceptionally good mechanics in cuba who could do very well here in the U.S. restoring and preserving oldies. Every time I watch a documentary about Cuba I see nothing but beautifully restored cars from the '50s and '60s, cars that I would like to own in preference to some of the newer ones.

I own a 1995 Cadillac Sedan DeVille which is in 95% mint condition. 76k miles, forest green, ivory leather interior, spotless inside and out. It is better-looking than the vast majority of new cars and it rides like a sailboat on calm water. The problem is Blue Book value is only $2,500, which is a damn shame because the car is worth at least $25,000 to me because that's how much it would cost for something equal to it in appearance, comfort and performance,

I see a lot of ads from people wanting to buy "clunkers," which I believe are posted by people who want to ship them to Cuba for sale to the amazingly good mechanics and body restorers there. I wonder how the wall coming down between us and Cuba will affect the automobile aspect of commerce between us. I wonder if we'll start seeing a lot of fully restored classics from the '50s and '60s.

Good idea!

I'll bet there are some exceptionally good mechanics in cuba who could do very well here in the U.S. restoring and preserving oldies. Every time I watch a documentary about Cuba I see nothing but beautifully restored cars from the '50s and '60s, cars that I would like to own in preference to some of the newer ones.

I own a 1995 Cadillac Sedan DeVille which is in 95% mint condition. 76k miles, forest green, ivory leather interior, spotless inside and out. It is better-looking than the vast majority of new cars and it rides like a sailboat on calm water. The problem is Blue Book value is only $2,500, which is a damn shame because the car is worth at least $25,000 to me.
I see a lot of ads from people wanting to buy "clunkers," which I believe are posted by people who want to ship them to Cuba for sale to the amazingly good mechanics and body restorers there. I wonder how the wall coming down between us and Cuba will affect the automobile aspect of commerce between us. I wonder if we'll start seeing a lot of fully restored classics from the '50s and '60s.
I'm expecting the History Channel to produce an 'American Pickers in Cuba' episode very soon.

Good idea!

I own a 1995 Cadillac Sedan DeVille which is in 95% mint condition. 76k miles, forest green, ivory leather interior, spotless inside and out. It is better-looking than the vast majority of new cars and it rides like a sailboat on calm water. The problem is Blue Book value is only $2,500, which is a damn shame because the car is worth at least $25,000 to me.
I'm expecting the History Channel to produce an 'American Pickers in Cuba' episode very soon.
Very likely.

There is a potential gold mine there.

So I guess Cuba is now ready to pay for all the property they seized from American Citizens and Companies.

Absolutely! And as soon as the money comes in, the USA will pay back Spain, for having taken it all away from them!

That was via a treaty at the end of a war. Nice attempt at equivalency, but it doesn't float.

Neither did the battleship Maine, but that wasn't Spain's fault!

Again, another dodge at actually addressing the issue.

Speaking of "dodge", I would love to pick up a 1960 model from Havana!

I actually had one. You know you'll need several acres to park it, right?
It's hard to believe we used to ooze around in barges that big. My GF at the time called my car "the Behemoth".

Absolutely! And as soon as the money comes in, the USA will pay back Spain, for having taken it all away from them!

That was via a treaty at the end of a war. Nice attempt at equivalency, but it doesn't float.

Neither did the battleship Maine, but that wasn't Spain's fault!

Again, another dodge at actually addressing the issue.

Speaking of "dodge", I would love to pick up a 1960 model from Havana!

I actually had one. You know you'll need several acres to park it, right?
It's hard to believe we used to ooze around in barges that big. My GF at the time called my car "the Behemoth".

Pogo,
For several years, I drove a 1960 Buick Electra;

1960 Buick Electra 225 Hardtop - 10995 maplewood Mn -1 Pictures Images Photos Photobucket

I ended up selling it, and buying a 1959 Cadillac;

Last edited:

Forum List

Back