Alabama Legislators Approve Bill Requiring School Prayer Every Morning

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Out of curiosity, how would these people feel if the City of Dearborn, Michigan, which has a large Muslim population, passed an ordinance requiring all children to spend 15 minutes in Islamic prayer every morning at school?

A key committee in Alabama's House of Representatives has pushed through a bill requiring teachers and students at all of the state's public schools to spend 15 minutes every morning in Christian prayer, even though a majority of legislators present say they opposed the measure.

Alabama, of course, is a churchin' state, ranked the "2nd most religious state" behind its neighbor, Mississippi. Alabama is also home to Roy Moore, the state Supreme Court chief justice who fought to keep a massive stone sculpture of the Ten Commandments in the state court building.

But that stand seems lukewarm next to the current House measure's planned compulsion of religion among captive pupils.

Alabama, as always political news from there is a showcase in inbred stupidity.

Congress Shall Make No Law Respecting An Establishment of Religion or prohibiting the free excerise thereof.

I often wonder what part of "No State Sponsered Religion" the Righties do not understand.

I guess this means that the Wicans and Pagans in Alabama can worship their version of their religion in school as well?????

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Steve Hurst, R-Munford, would require teachers to spend no more than 15 minutes in the first class of each day to read, verbatim, opening prayers said before a meeting of the U.S. House of Representatives or the U.S. Senate.

Well when they're the same prayers uttered in congress it makes things a bit more complicated. Maybe it's time to revisit Congress' practices?

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Steve Hurst, R-Munford, would require teachers to spend no more than 15 minutes in the first class of each day to read, verbatim, opening prayers said before a meeting of the U.S. House of Representatives or the U.S. Senate.

Well when they're the same prayers uttered in congress it makes things a bit more complicated. Maybe it's time to revisit Congress' practices?

High time apparently. Letting the RW Christian Taliban have an inch is only an encouragement for them to take a mile. Never will they be happy until they turn the whole country into a fucking Sunday school hell where we all get treated like empty-headed children.

Out of curiosity, how would these people feel if the City of Dearborn, Michigan, which has a large Muslim population, passed an ordinance requiring all children to spend 15 minutes in Islamic prayer every morning at school?

A key committee in Alabama's House of Representatives has pushed through a bill requiring teachers and students at all of the state's public schools to spend 15 minutes every morning in Christian prayer, even though a majority of legislators present say they opposed the measure.

Alabama, of course, is a churchin' state, ranked the "2nd most religious state" behind its neighbor, Mississippi. Alabama is also home to Roy Moore, the state Supreme Court chief justice who fought to keep a massive stone sculpture of the Ten Commandments in the state court building.

But that stand seems lukewarm next to the current House measure's planned compulsion of religion among captive pupils.

i find it interesting that the righeingnuts are looking to relitigate all the issues already settled by the court.

i guess they think they've poisoned the court enough where they have a shot at it.

That will never pass constitutional muster and they know it. It's just grandstanding.

A private religious school, no problem

Did any of these State Legislators ever go to law school and study the history of Con Law?

It's almost as if they know nothing about SCOTUS precedent.

That will never pass constitutional muster and they know it. It's just grandstanding.

Grandstanding! What a great word to describe most of what Republicans are about these days! I'm totally using that I hope you don't mind :tongue:

If Alabama wishes to pass a law permitting prayer in school then so be it. If you don't like it, move to some other atheistic state, better yet, pack up your liberal pathetic ass and move out of this country.

When I was in grade school we had to pray also, I didn't really pay attention to what they said and was busy looking around..

15 minutes of prayer in the morning, every morning?

The kids will probably rise up and slaughter the faculty and staff.

If Alabama wishes to pass a law permitting prayer in school then so be it. If you don't like it, move to some other atheistic state, better yet, pack up your liberal pathetic ass and move out of this country.

You realize that word is incorrect according to the bill they are trying to pass, right. They are trying to REQUIRE it.

But....if it DOES pass, I think we should submit a prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Or better yet, a prayer of thanks to Odin for saving us from Ragnorok.

Last edited:
When I was in grade school we had to pray also, I didn't really pay attention to what they said and was busy looking around..

Good point, they finally struck down school prayer when I was in fourth grade, I can't say any of us was especially devout first thing in the morning when the ass paddling principal came on the intercom and preached at us for ten minutes.

I assume they want Muslim, Jewish, and Buddhist students to listen to 15 minutes of Christian prayer, or will they provide all religions with prayers appropriate for them?

Forum List

Back