aley, other AGs demand CDC study on gun violence

We should be studying gun violence.

Healey, other AGs call for CDC study of gun violence - The Boston Globe

President Obama, Senator Edward J. Markey, and other Democrats have pushed for years to lift the restriction, saying it has effectively squelched almost all CDC research into firearm deaths and injuries.

The original sponsor of the amendment, Jay Dickey, a former Republican congressman from Arkansas, has also said he regrets the measure.
Waist of money, but libtards love wasting our money on stupid useless stuff.
Waste

It doesn't matter how many studies are done regarding gun violence. There are approximately 80 million private citizens who legally own approximately 300 million firearms. The vast majority of the owners are safe with their firearms and no threat to others. That said, in conversations with other firearms owners at firing ranges, to a person, they all agreed that no matter what laws were implemented, they weren't turning over their weapons. This means that millions of legally owning individuals would fight a war to keep them. The bloodshed in Afghanistan has gone on for years by thousands of backwards illiterate people armed with AK-47's, handguns, RPG's and rigged IED's. The bloodshed here would be much worse and drag on for many more years than what has gone on in Afghanistan.

2aguy already posted the bias exhibited by the CDC 'research'

This is par for the course. Establish the conclusion you want, then publish some trumped up data that corroborates it, which isn't science. Then begin eroding the rights or pushing the cause, claiming it's based on science or hard data or evidence or whatever, when in reality it is not.

Now scream 'liar' or use some other shaming tactic on anyone that questions the legitimacy of the 'findings' and just keep that echo chamber going until it becomes ingrained as 'fact'

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth"
Lenin would be proud.

Gun grabbing lefties don't give a rats ass about human lives. That is the biggest lie here. They ONLY care about taking guns from people. If they actually cared about human lives they would be calling for investigations into why we are so violent. Forget about the tool used, why do so many have murder on their minds? You take away the tool and they just find another tool.

Guns do not cause depression, if we want to find out why so many are killing themselves let's find out what is causing the depression.

But no, the left doesn't want to do that. Like the mentally deficient morons that they are, they blame the tool. It's simply because it's the tool they are after and they aren't interested in helping anyone.
Actually, this "leftie" does want to do exactly that. And there is no reason except saving human lives that gun control is being advocated. The evil government plotting to take away our freedoms and exterminate us is not here.

Bull shit. The very fact that you people don't care to investigate the "why" and instead concentrate on the "how" proves that you don't give a shit about lives and it is only about disarming people. If you cared at all, you would ask why we are so violent, and why we have such a problem with depression. But you don't ask those questions do you?

You can lie all you want to. No one is fooled.
Don't tell me what I think or what I care about. I don't accuse you of being dishonest or unfeeling--why must you make everyone who disagrees with you have some basic failing of human nature? Is that they only way to win your argument?

I not only accused you, I proved it.

President Obama, Senator Edward J. Markey, and other Democrats have pushed for years to lift the restriction, saying it has effectively squelched almost all CDC research into firearm deaths and injuries.

The original sponsor of the amendment, Jay Dickey, a former Republican congressman from Arkansas, has also said he regrets the measure.
Waist of money, but libtards love wasting our money on stupid useless stuff.
Waste
I might have money around my waist:)

All shootings: Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured [those figures exclude suicide]. Those figures are likely to rise by several hundred, once incidents in the final week of the year are counted.

As of December 23, a total of 12,942 people had been killed in the United States in 2015 in a gun homicide, unintentional shooting, or murder/suicide.

Above, from two separate sites. I apologize for being off by 3,000 people; it was not intentional. I'm sure I saw that number in a study somewhere. So, 13,000 people are killed by guns each year in the US, excluding suicide, not 16,000. Call the fucking cops and have me arrested.

The gun violence archive lies.........you can't trust anti gun cites...they have to lie to boost their numbers...the actual numbers for 2015 haven't been released yet.......

This is from the FBI table 8, 2014....8,124 gun murders.......

All shootings: Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured [those figures exclude suicide]. Those figures are likely to rise by several hundred, once incidents in the final week of the year are counted.

As of December 23, a total of 12,942 people had been killed in the United States in 2015 in a gun homicide, unintentional shooting, or murder/suicide.

Above, from two separate sites. I apologize for being off by 3,000 people; it was not intentional. I'm sure I saw that number in a study somewhere. So, 13,000 people are killed by guns each year in the US, excluding suicide, not 16,000. Call the fucking cops and have me arrested.

And the problem with the gun violence archive....

Why the "Gun Violence Archive" Is Flawed From the Start - The Truth About Guns

The front page of their website provides a real-time count (so they say) of deaths (broken out to highlight “children”), injuries, and other evil uses of firearms. Perhaps surprisingly, they include a “Defensive Use” number as well. The purpose is clear: they are trying to make the argument that, on balance, there are far more criminal and tragic uses of guns than defensive uses. But the problem is that their methodology will never accurately reflect the defensive use number.

The issue is that they are depending on media reports and police blotters for their information. While that might seem reasonable to the lay person, the fact of the matter is that the disparity in the reporting of defensive gun uses versus murders and shootings is so great as to make any analysis based on that data impossible. The old admonition “if it bleeds it leads” is as true as it’s ever been, so virtually every shooting and gun-related death gets reported on the news and is reported to the police. But defensive gun uses? Frequently nothing happened. It’s doubtful that there would even be a police report about many of the incidents, let alone a mention in the news.

Let’s take that a step further. What percentage of defensive gun uses even get reported to the police? Every single person I know who has had a DGU hasn’t reported it — they simply walked away and got on with their lives, thankful for the iron on their side. The problem with the GVA’s assumption is that they believe every single DGU will be reported, and the fact of the matter is that they won’t be.

The Do Nothing GOP Congress really enjoy the checks they get from the NRA. Nothing will happen...

The Do Nothing GOP Congress really enjoy the checks they get from the NRA. Nothing will happen...

The NRA is about 63rd for political donations......left wingers fill up most of the other 62...and they are all anti gun....

And they don't know what they are talking about.......typical government drones....

Why Congress Cut The CDC’s Gun Research Budget

Firstly, CDC was not banned from doing the research. In fact, CDC articles pertaining to firearms have held steady since the defunding, and even increased to 121 in 2013.

CDC very recently released a 16-page report that was commissioned by the city council of Wilmington, Delaware, on factors contributing to its abnormally high gun crime, and methods of prevention. The study weighed factors such as where the guns were coming from, the sex of the offenders, likeliness of committing a gun crime, and how unemployment plays a factor.

In other words it studied, the environment surrounding the crime.
This did not go over well with some in the media, who were disappointed it didn’t implicate firearms as a cause and not an effect. Kate Masters of VICE.com wrote, “If the CDC wasn’t going to consider the role of firearms in Wilmington’s gun crimes, why do the study at all?” That sounds an awful lot like, “If you have nothing bad to say about guns, then don’t say anything.”

And the truth.........

CDC Leaders Admit They Want to Ban Guns

In the late ’80s and early ’90s, the CDC was openly biased in opposing gun rights. CDC official and research head Patrick O’Carroll stated in a 1989 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association, “We’re going to systematically build a case that owning firearms causes deaths.” This sounds more like activist rhetoric than it does scientific research, as O’Carroll effectively set out with the goal of confirmation bias, saying “We will prove it,” and not the scientific objectiveness of asking “Does it?”

‘It used to be that smoking was a glamour symbol — cool, sexy, macho. Now it is dirty, deadly — and banned.’

O’Carroll went on to deny he had said this, claiming he was misquoted. However, his successor and director of the CDC National Center of Injury Prevention branch Mark Rosenberg told Rolling Stone in 1993 that he “envisions a long term campaign, similar to tobacco use and auto safety, to convince Americans that guns are, first and foremost, a public health menace.”

He went on to tell theWashington Post in 1994 “We need to revolutionize the way we look at guns, like what we did with cigarettes. It used to be that smoking was a glamour symbol — cool, sexy, macho. Now it is dirty, deadly — and banned.”

CDC leaders were not shy about their intentions of banning guns from the public. Sure enough, they acted on their desires.

In October 1993, The New England Journal of Medicine released a study funded by the CDC to the tune of $1.7 million, entitled “Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home.” The leader author was Dr. Arthur Kellermann, an epidemiologist, physician, and outspoken advocate of gun control.
In the study, Kellerman concluded that people who kept guns in their homes were 2.7 times more likely to be homicide victims as people who don’t. Major media outlets, such as the New York Times, still cite these statistics.

Unreliable Gun Research

However, the research was beyond flawed. For one, Kellermann used epidemiological methods in an attempt to investigate an issue dealing with criminology. In effect, this means he was treating gun violence the same as, say, the spread of West Nile, or bird flu.

Furthermore, the gun victims he studied were anomalies. They were selected from homicide victims living in metropolitan areas with high gun-crime statistics, which completely discounted the statistical goliath of areas where gun owners engage in little to no crime.

Other factors that lent to the study’s unreliability were: It is based entirely on people murdered in their homes, with 50 percent admitting this was the result of a “quarrel or romantic triangle,” and 30 percent said it was during a drug deal or other felonies such as rape or burglary; it made no consideration for guns used in self-defense; it provided no proof or examples that the murder weapon used in these crimes belonged to the homeowner or had been kept in that home.

---------------

And this is a good point...

Furthermore, the gun victims he studied were anomalies. They were selected from homicide victims living in metropolitan areas with high gun-crime statistics, which completely discounted the statistical goliath of areas where gun owners engage in little to no crime.
I didn't even bother to read your blather this time. Of course you disapprove of a study that might actually get to some of the root causes of gun violence. Heaven forfend some of the root cause might be too many handy guns on the street. The CDC realizes 16,000 people a year losing their lives to guns (not suicide) is a health epidemic.

Where did you get that number...gun murder is at 8,124 from the FBI table 8...........for 2014, and accidental gun deaths from the CDC for 2014 is 586....in a country with over 357,000,000 million guns.....

You don't realize that the CDC actually did what you say they can't do and they did it last year in 2015......they studied gun violence...and found out that social pathologies made young thugs shoot each other........
Where did I get that number? From one of your numerous posts, I'm sure. The fact that you can come up with a study with totally different numbers underscores my point that you play with numbers depending on your mission.
There haven't been 16 k murders in YEARS.

The NRA is about 63rd for political donations......left wingers fill up most of the other 62...and they are all anti gun....

The fact is Republican congressmen are paid by the. NRA to NOT do their jobs.

I think I can save the Government millions of dollars. Gun violence is caused when a Human Being pulls a trigger. Hope that helps. :thup:

And this....

1. The CDC studied laws throughout the country, and found: “In summary, the Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence.” http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr5214.pdf

Forum List

Back