Alger Hiss: American Hero...

It's the same old stuff where radical leftists play games and pretend that Senator McCarthy was the enemy but they don't actually endorse communism. The left relies on the last fifty years of sub-standard education and low information blog orientated stupids to try to portray communism in a pleasant non threatening light. Hiss was not tried as a spy because the statute of limitations had expired. The Verona transcripts confirm that he was an agent of the USSR. There were so many Russian spies in the FDR administration that they probably outnumbered the Kremlin staff. For all his faults Harry Truman tried to do the right thing by exposing the communist menace but the pop-history manages to blame the unpleasantness of the communist era on a single republican senator while portraying the failed administration as a success.

I am not a radical lefty.
I require evidence and go by The United States Constitution which says what?
A defendant is presumed innocent.
A defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
A defendant NEVER has to prove ANYTHING at trial.
The ENTIRE burden of proof is on the government to prove EACH AND EVERY element of their case and the defendant does not have to offer anything.
So tell us what evidence did McCarthy offer and who did he convict?
BTW, Truman backed Hiss and believed him to be INNOCENT.

We believe you, your not a radiocal lefty, whatever you despite what you post, and I hail to the credentials you site, being a lawyer and all you are the only good the country has produced and we all bow to your superior intelligence.

Thank you so much for teaching us the basics, like a person is innocent until proven guilty, of course in this case of alger hiss, who is still innocent despite the courts you make an extreme profit from. Yes, those courts are right all the time when they involve you, so you obviously know when they make a gross error so I bow to your superior utopian judgement

Hiss was a spy. The Verona transcripts confirm it. The question is why the radical left still plays a coy game about communism.

I'm bettin' that folks noticed that you couldn't deny that the 13 items in the post documented the kinship of Liberals and communists.

Busted.

Was, in fact, so painful that, in your post, you hid behind the Liberal "we."

Who elected you to speak for them?

Maybe your pals in the 'nervous hospital'?

It is only Communism is the eyes of a paranoid conservative, and not a very bright one at that.

Just finished reading Andrew McCarthy's spirited defense of Diana West's "American Betrayal" and saw the relevance to this post.....

"Communist espionage not only distorted American war decisions but, far more significantly, eroded the pillars of Western civilization: the capacity to reason based on firm convictions about right and wrong, and to grasp that good cannot align with evil without losing its way.American Betrayal is not a history of World War II. It is a neon-flashing admonition that we either reinforce those pillars or resign ourselves a very different, dissipated America."
Red herrings by Andrew C. McCarthy - The New Criterion

This, I believe, is what you fail to understand.

You should think for yourself more, and not present opinions as facts.

It's the same old stuff where radical leftists play games and pretend that Senator McCarthy was the enemy but they don't actually endorse communism. The left relies on the last fifty years of sub-standard education and low information blog orientated stupids to try to portray communism in a pleasant non threatening light. Hiss was not tried as a spy because the statute of limitations had expired. The Verona transcripts confirm that he was an agent of the USSR. There were so many Russian spies in the FDR administration that they probably outnumbered the Kremlin staff. For all his faults Harry Truman tried to do the right thing by exposing the communist menace but the pop-history manages to blame the unpleasantness of the communist era on a single republican senator while portraying the failed administration as a success.

I am not a radical lefty.
I require evidence and go by The United States Constitution which says what?
A defendant is presumed innocent.
A defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
A defendant NEVER has to prove ANYTHING at trial.
The ENTIRE burden of proof is on the government to prove EACH AND EVERY element of their case and the defendant does not have to offer anything.
So tell us what evidence did McCarthy offer and who did he convict?
BTW, Truman backed Hiss and believed him to be INNOCENT.

We believe you, your not a radiocal lefty, whatever you despite what you post, and I hail to the credentials you site, being a lawyer and all you are the only good the country has produced and we all bow to your superior intelligence.

Thank you so much for teaching us the basics, like a person is innocent until proven guilty, of course in this case of alger hiss, who is still innocent despite the courts you make an extreme profit from. Yes, those courts are right all the time when they involve you, so you obviously know when they make a gross error so I bow to your superior utopian judgement

I am not a lawyer.
Jury trial Moe. A jury heard the case and prosecutors brought it.
Civics 101. I am sure a local community college near you teaches it.
Good to see you admit you have NO evidence whatsoever.

Where are the names of the 205 communists sports fans?
You good folks are just like the liberals.
Easily manipulated to believe anything and everything that matches your partisan ideology.
With NO facts whatsoever to back it up.
Where are the 205 names? EVIDENCE?

Maybe Hiss was a communist spy.
But there was no evidence he was.
Whittaker Chambers was the ONLY witness to claim he was in the first trial and he first denied that Hiss was a spy.
Hiss testified before a House committee he was not a communist or a spy.
Chambers says he was a communist before that same committee.
Hiss was never indicted for espionage because the statute of limitations had run. Why did they allow it to run? He was indicted and tried on 2 counts of perjury.
Chambers admits at trial he lied many times under oath relating to this matter including lies about dates and other facts.
First trial deadlocked hung jury even with the Cold War scare in America the evidence was so pitiful.
Second trial prosecution brings in a citizen about to be deported who the Judge would not allow to testify in the first trial because his story was so bogus. Cold War hysteria forced 2nd Judge to allow her testimony. After the trial even though she was an admitted communist spy and liar she was allowed to stay in the US. Jury finds Hiss guilty OF PERJURY.
He receives five years which is unheard of for a perjury conviction especially when the ONLY witnesses were admitted liars.
Tail Gunner Joe 2 weeks later makes his first speech about all the communists in government.
Geez, only a dumb ass goes for this crap.

As usual, you reveal yourself to be an ignorant buffoon.

1. ".... original source archives that have come to light in recent years suggest that, if anything, McCarthy understated the breadth of Soviet infiltration. These include the revelations by the former KGB Chief Oleg Gordievsky, who in conjunction with the Cambridge intelligence expert Christopher Andrew, began exposing the scope of Soviet penetration in 1990, even before the USSR collapsed; the U.S. intelligence community’s Venona decryptions that began becoming public in the mid-1990s and were summarized in breathtaking detail by Herbert Romerstein and Eric Breindel; the investigative work of Jerrold and Leona Schecter, who traced the flow of Venona revelations into the Truman White House, beginning as early as 1945; the former KGB archivist Vasily Mitrokhin, who smuggled his files out of Moscow in 1992 (and who, in conjunction with Christopher Andrew, found astonishing the apathy of American historians regarding the KGB’s influence operations); the groundbreaking scholarship of John Earl Haynes and Harvey Klehr on the history of Communist espionage and the mulish determination of the academy not to notice it; the voluminous evidence of American treason on Moscow’s behalf amassed by Allen Weinstein and Alexander Vassiliev; the files of FBI investigations and congressional hearings on Communist infiltration that have recently been declassified; and so on.

2. No American in history has undergone as thoroughgoing a character assassination as McCarthy. So successful has the campaign been that one senses from some quadrants on the Right both acceptance of the shopworn narrative that, in his zeal, McCarthy profoundly harmed the cause of anti-Communism and apprehension that any whiff of sympathy for McCarthy will doom conservative credibility. On the latter point, no allowance is made for the strong case that McCarthy was overwhelmingly correct about the Communist threat—especially, the outrage that known and reasonably suspected Communists continued to work in high-ranking government positions for years after being identified as such.

3. Communist espionage not only distorted American war decisions but, far more significantly, eroded the pillars of Western civilization: the capacity to reason based on firm convictions about right and wrong, and to grasp that good cannot align with evil without losing its way.... we either reinforce those pillars or resign ourselves a very different, dissipated America."

I've read the books mentioned in #1 above......have you?

You remain a moron screaming to be relevant.

Stick to your first job.....lawn jockey.

You know I am right so all you have to come back with are insults.
The evidence was so overwhelming that Hiss was a communist spy he was convicted of PERJURY.
Wow, a perjury conviction for an alleged communist spy.
And you are naive and gullible enough to believe otherwise. McCarthy depended on the naive and gullible like you. You believe anything and do not require any evidence.
Perjury conviction. :lol::lol::lol:
My job has taken me to half the states in this country and around the world as a licensed private detective with over 3000 criminal cases under my belt.
Only a dumb ass believes Hiss was a communist spy. And that would be you and everyone else that believes that. EVIDENCE is required and they had NONE.
Same with McCarthy. All hot air which is all you require.
I beat low information citizens like you daily in my work. Lazy law enforcement, fat detectives that spend half their days at the doughnut shops, politicians posing as prosecutors and corrupt politicians that prey on naive citizens like you with their public relations "causes" like McCarthy. I win most all the time, you lose.
This nation was founded ON the presumption of innocence, innocent until proven guilty, the defendant NEVER has to prove a damn thing and Hiss was NEVER proven guilty.
Sad day in this country when ignorant citizens ignore the Constitutional guarantees mentioned above in favor of a partisan political demagogue like McCarthy and the supporters of the Hiss witch trial which ended in what?
A PERJURY CONVICTION.

I didn't insult you.....I described you.

Dunce.

I guess Eisenhower was also a communist spy as he was the one that exposed Joe as the fraud he was when Joe started his claims that The United States Army was filled with commies.
Am amazed that you good folks believe this stuff.

Eisenhower was not a communist...but was less than correct on all aspects of this issue....

1. In 1953, President Eisenhower appointed veteran diplomat Charles E. "Chip" Bohlen (a protégé of Harry Hopkins) to become US ambassador to Moscow. The appointment was unsuccessfully contested by Senate anti-Communists as a continuation of Rooseveltian appeasement policies. Evans, "Blacklisted By History," p. 478-490.

a. In commenting on how pervasive Soviet propaganda was in America, Bohlen wrote that with many in government, that "these feelings were so strong that one could hardly say it was cold in Russia without being accused of being anti-Soviet." Bohlen, "Witness to History, 1929-1969."

2. As President, Eisenhower tried to shut down McCarthy's investigations.
"American Betrayal," West, p. 63.

You remain an ignorant buffoon.....even after my failed attempts to educate you.
I don't know what you take to make you so stupid....but it really works.

I guess Eisenhower was also a communist spy as he was the one that exposed Joe as the fraud he was when Joe started his claims that The United States Army was filled with commies.
Am amazed that you good folks believe this stuff.

".... Joe started his claims that The United States Army was filled with commies."

Try to be more accurate in your slanders.....

Even after the scandal of the Rosenberg cell emerging from the Army, the Army was still employing security risks. Beginning in early 1953, after a whole year, Army intelligence issued urgent warnings about Captain Irving Peress, reports stating that Peress was an active member of the Communist Party, that he was “very disloyal and untrustworthy.”
Arthur Herman, Joseph McCarty: Reexamining the Life and Legacy of America’s Most Hated Senator, p. 248

He was thought to be organizing a Communist cell on the Army base. His company commander wanted him dismissed on grounds of national security.
David Oshinsky, A Conspiracy So Immense, p. 366-367

Instead the Army promoted him to Major! McCarty exposed the Army’s stupidity in dealing with Peress.
The result? Honorable discharge.
And McCarty was attacked by Vermont Republican Senator Flanders, stating the Peress was merely “a pink dentist in New Jersey.”

OK....Homo habilis discovering his opposable thumbs says what?

1. ".... original source archives that have come to light in recent years suggest that, if anything, McCarthy understated the breadth of Soviet infiltration. These include the revelations by the former KGB Chief Oleg Gordievsky, who in conjunction with the Cambridge intelligence expert Christopher Andrew, began exposing the scope of Soviet penetration in 1990, even before the USSR collapsed; the U.S. intelligence community’s Venona decryptions that began becoming public in the mid-1990s and were summarized in breathtaking detail by Herbert Romerstein and Eric Breindel; the investigative work of Jerrold and Leona Schecter, who traced the flow of Venona revelations into the Truman White House, beginning as early as 1945; the former KGB archivist Vasily Mitrokhin, who smuggled his files out of Moscow in 1992 (and who, in conjunction with Christopher Andrew, found astonishing the apathy of American historians regarding the KGB’s influence operations); the groundbreaking scholarship of John Earl Haynes and Harvey Klehr on the history of Communist espionage and the mulish determination of the academy not to notice it; the voluminous evidence of American treason on Moscow’s behalf amassed by Allen Weinstein and Alexander Vassiliev; the files of FBI investigations and congressional hearings on Communist infiltration that have recently been declassified; and so on.

2. No American in history has undergone as thoroughgoing a character assassination as McCarthy. So successful has the campaign been that one senses from some quadrants on the Right both acceptance of the shopworn narrative that, in his zeal, McCarthy profoundly harmed the cause of anti-Communism and apprehension that any whiff of sympathy for McCarthy will doom conservative credibility. On the latter point, no allowance is made for the strong case that McCarthy was overwhelmingly correct about the Communist threat—especially, the outrage that known and reasonably suspected Communists continued to work in high-ranking government positions for years after being identified as such.

3. Communist espionage not only distorted American war decisions but, far more significantly, eroded the pillars of Western civilization: the capacity to reason based on firm convictions about right and wrong, and to grasp that good cannot align with evil without losing its way.... we either reinforce those pillars or resign ourselves a very different, dissipated America."

The evidence was so overwhelming that Hiss was a communist spy he was convicted of PERJURY.
And you are naive and gullible enough to believe otherwise. McCarthy depended on the naive and gullible like you. You believe anything and do not require any evidence.
My job has taken me to half the states in this country and around the world as a licensed private detective with over 3000 criminal cases under my belt.
Only a dumb ass believes Hiss was a communist spy. And that would be you and everyone else that believes that. EVIDENCE is required and they had NONE.
I beat low information citizens like you daily in my work. Lazy law enforcement, fat detectives that spend half their days at the doughnut shops, politicians posing as prosecutors and corrupt politicians that prey on naive citizens like you with their public relations "causes" like McCarthy. I win most all the time, you lose.
This nation was founded ON the presumption of innocence, innocent until proven guilty, the defendant NEVER has to prove a damn thing and Hiss was NEVER proven guilty.
Sad day in this country when ignorant citizens ignore the Constitutional guarantees mentioned above in favor of a partisan political demagogue like McCarthy and the supporters of the Hiss witch trial which ended in what?
A PERJURY CONVICTION.

I didn't insult you.....I described you.

Dunce.

You describe and insult others instead of providing evidence that Hiss was a communist spy.
Because you know you are only show with lip stick, tight pants and high heels on.
Does not work for me sweetie as they were lined up around the corner.
You did not even know Hiss WAS NEVER charged with being a communist spy.
You claim he was one when no one ever charged him with being one.
And claim I am the dunce.

Wham it zero on set, EP team to group, KO team on the squares and 4th string D on the ready.

"205 communists have infiltrated the State Department"
And he NEVER listed the 205.
Such a great American. He claimed to know there were 205 communists in the State Department and NEVER told anyone who they were.

"Expert estimates now peg the number of Americans assisting Soviet intelligence agencies during the 1930s and 1940s as exceeding five hundred. Not one Aldrich Ames. Not two Rosenbergs. Not five “magnificent” Cambridgers. More than five hundred willing and variously able American traitors, many operating at the very highest levels of the federal government, with who knows how many more in support roles. This was a national security fiasco of a magnitude that has never, ever entered national comprehension."
Andrew McCarthy, Ibid.

Did you notice the word 'comprehension' in the quote.....

...that doesn't apply to you.

Maybe Hiss was a communist spy.
But there was no evidence he was.
Whittaker Chambers was the ONLY witness to claim he was in the first trial and he first denied that Hiss was a spy.
Hiss testified before a House committee he was not a communist or a spy.
Chambers says he was a communist before that same committee.
Hiss was never indicted for espionage because the statute of limitations had run. Why did they allow it to run? He was indicted and tried on 2 counts of perjury.
Chambers admits at trial he lied many times under oath relating to this matter including lies about dates and other facts.
First trial deadlocked hung jury even with the Cold War scare in America the evidence was so pitiful.
Second trial prosecution brings in a citizen about to be deported who the Judge would not allow to testify in the first trial because his story was so bogus. Cold War hysteria forced 2nd Judge to allow her testimony. After the trial even though she was an admitted communist spy and liar she was allowed to stay in the US. Jury finds Hiss guilty OF PERJURY.
He receives five years which is unheard of for a perjury conviction especially when the ONLY witnesses were admitted liars.
Tail Gunner Joe 2 weeks later makes his first speech about all the communists in government.
Geez, only a dumb ass goes for this crap.

A PERJURY CONVICTION.

Can you please provide credible sources backing your assertion that Hiss was not a commie spy? Lets not get bogged down in the legalities of Hiss' trial. A trial that took place in 1950!!! Are you aware that much has come to light since 1950????? Or are we to ignore the new information and stay stuck in 1950????

If you have sources that prove Hiss was NOT a commie spy, lets see them.

Uh, who was it that after the Fall of the Iron Curtain appealed in every way possible with written, oral and 3rd party correspondence with everyone and anyone in the post Soviet Communist Russian government to search their records for ANY evidence that would show he was a communist spy?
Alger Hiss.
In 1999 a landmark ruling released ALL of the grand jury proceedings in the Hiss case and in 2001 ALL of the executive sessions of the long defunct House Committee of Un-American Activities including materials that date to the very start of the Hiss case in 1948 were released.
All of it and none of you have read a word of any of it.
I have read ALL of it.
Because you do not want to know that there is NO evidence you refuse to educate yourself.

Hiss was a spy. The Verona transcripts confirm it. The question is why the radical left still plays a coy game about communism.

LOL, no they don't.
Wild guesses are not evidence.
Try again.

You can LOL all you want to but #6 of the Verona transcripts identifies agent ALES as arriving in Moscow in 1945 by private plane which coincides exactly with Hiss travels after the Yalta conference. A high ranking Russian KGB defector positively identified Hiss as agent ALES in 1988. The question still stands about why the radical left is so coy about communism.

Uh, who was it that after the Fall of the Iron Curtain appealed in every way possible with written, oral and 3rd party correspondence with everyone and anyone in the post Soviet Communist Russian government to search their records for ANY evidence that would show he was a communist spy?
Alger Hiss.
In 1999 a landmark ruling released ALL of the grand jury proceedings in the Hiss case and in 2001 ALL of the executive sessions of the long defunct House Committee of Un-American Activities including materials that date to the very start of the Hiss case in 1948 were released.
All of it and none of you have read a word of any of it.
I have read ALL of it.
Because you do not want to know that there is NO evidence you refuse to educate yourself.

Then it would appear that many experts and informed sources are lying...including the CIA.

The Alger Hiss Case
UNCLASSIFIED

A Half-Century of Controversy
The Alger Hiss Case (U)
John Ehrman
It has been 50 years since Alger Hiss was convicted of perjury for denying that he had been a Soviet spy, but his case continues to fascinate and stir controversy. The reasons for this are not surprising. The case had all the elements of a fine drama: compelling characters, accusations of treason, unusual evidence, the launching of a presidential career, and enough inconsistencies and ambiguities to leave the issue of guilt or innocence in doubt for decades. Indeed, when the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, one of the first goals of historians was to gain access to Moscow's archives and settle the question. Although no specific file on Hiss has been released from the KGB or GRU archives, enough material has been found in other files--in Moscow, Eastern Europe, and Washington--to enable historians to write several new works that leave almost no room for doubt about Hiss's guilt. These developments also have significant implications for the intelligence professional today.
https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol44no5/html/v44i5a01p.htm

Now we know the CIA lies a lot, but why would they lie about Hiss?

Last edited:
Such a great American. He claimed to know there were 205 communists in the State Department and NEVER told anyone who they were.

"Expert estimates now peg the number of Americans assisting Soviet intelligence agencies during the 1930s and 1940s as exceeding five hundred. Not one Aldrich Ames. Not two Rosenbergs. Not five “magnificent” Cambridgers. More than five hundred willing and variously able American traitors, many operating at the very highest levels of the federal government, with who knows how many more in support roles. This was a national security fiasco of a magnitude that has never, ever entered national comprehension."
Andrew McCarthy, Ibid.

"Experts estimate" :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Who are these so called "experts" You?
Start with the 205 Joe claimed he had the names in his pocket.
Who are the 205?
You are beyond weak. You have nothing. You would not last 10 seconds in my world where facts have to be proven.

A PERJURY CONVICTION.

Can you please provide credible sources backing your assertion that Hiss was not a commie spy? Lets not get bogged down in the legalities of Hiss' trial. A trial that took place in 1950!!! Are you aware that much has come to light since 1950????? Or are we to ignore the new information and stay stuck in 1950????

Hate to inform you Moe but under the law your rank hearsay that he was a spy is not evidence of anything.
The rule of law is that YOU have to prove he was a communist spy.
And to date you have offered NO evidence whatsoever.
Hell Moe, Hiss was NOT EVEN CHARGED with being a communist spy. Why?
Because they had NO evidence he was one.
To date Hiss is PRESUMED INNOCENT of being a communist spy.
Something about THE RULE OF LAW, not men and their various and changing like the wind religious and partisan political opinions.
The United States Constitution puts the burden 100% on YOU to prove he was a communist spy.
An interesting document. I suggest you read it as well as the grand jury proceedings and all the executive sessions of the House Un-American Activities committee.
Or remain in the dark with NO evidence to base your opinions on.

A PERJURY CONVICTION.

Hate to inform you Moe but under the law your rank hearsay that he was a spy is not evidence of anything.
Something about THE RULE OF LAW, not men and their various and changing like the wind religious and partisan political opinions.
The United States Constitution puts the burden 100% on YOU to prove he was a communist spy.
An interesting document. I suggest you read it as well as the grand jury proceedings and all the executive sessions of the House Un-American Activities committee.

Hey Moe, please respond to my previous post.

Hey Moe, please respond to my previous post.

Show me some evidence.
I have collected evidence over the years in many fraud, embezzlement and related cases that sent people to prison.
ALL of them required EVIDENCE.
Show me the evidence he was a communist spy.
Where is it.
Maybe, could have been does not cut it.

Andrew McCarthy, Ibid.

"Experts estimate" :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Who are these so called "experts" You?
Start with the 205 Joe claimed he had the names in his pocket.
Who are the 205?
You are beyond weak. You have nothing. You would not last 10 seconds in my world where facts have to be proven.

"Who are these so called "experts" You?"

You should have that A.D.D. looked into.....

This, from post #44....not that long ago....

1. ".... original source archives that have come to light in recent years suggest that, if anything, McCarthy understated the breadth of Soviet infiltration. These include the revelations by the former KGB Chief Oleg Gordievsky, who in conjunction with the Cambridge intelligence expert Christopher Andrew, began exposing the scope of Soviet penetration in 1990, even before the USSR collapsed; the U.S. intelligence community’s Venona decryptions that began becoming public in the mid-1990s and were summarized in breathtaking detail by Herbert Romerstein and Eric Breindel; the investigative work of Jerrold and Leona Schecter, who traced the flow of Venona revelations into the Truman White House, beginning as early as 1945; the former KGB archivist Vasily Mitrokhin, who smuggled his files out of Moscow in 1992 (and who, in conjunction with Christopher Andrew, found astonishing the apathy of American historians regarding the KGB’s influence operations); the groundbreaking scholarship of John Earl Haynes and Harvey Klehr on the history of Communist espionage and the mulish determination of the academy not to notice it; the voluminous evidence of American treason on Moscow’s behalf amassed by Allen Weinstein and Alexander Vassiliev; the files of FBI investigations and congressional hearings on Communist infiltration that have recently been declassified; and so on."

Experts.

And, relative to you, I'm an expert, too.
As I stated in the earlier post, I've studied most of the authors listed.

And I asked if you had....
...the question was rhetorical....you're reading is probably Bazooka bubble gum wrappers....

True?

Dolt.

Forum List

Back