Alzheimer's and Euthanasia, a Poll

Should the law outlaw euthanasia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I might support a living will in which a person makes the choice based on they just wouldn't want to be in that state. It's the last part of your post that makes me cringe...I do not want our culture to evolve into one which the elderly feel obligated to check out based on not "becoming a burden to their family". I also don't want it to be accepted for younger people to feel entitled to being resentful if an elderly family member didn't want to make that choice, as if to look down upon them for "being selfish".

In our living will (revocable trust) both my wife and I agreed on a a DNR, which we gave to our health provider. I have no interest in living out my life in a bed unable to function and dependent on others for basics [in fact I told my adult kids of our choice and asked them after my demise to spread my ashes on a ball field where I spent my youth, along with the ashes of my dog who loved playing catch).

My (our) choice is not one of obligation to anyone but ourselves, I love life but not so much that I want to spend my final days in bed, needing a bed pan, and my meals delivered via an IV.

That is a reasonable decision that I can respect...I just do worry about the elderly feeling pressured to make such choices because it becomes the norm. I think it should remain a moral struggle for good reason...families should support what the individual desires, even if they don't agree.
<you have to spread some reputation around before giving Sherry some more>

Wisely said.

Of course, Alzheimer's Disease isn't the only terminal illness, but what if you someday you were stricken with this ailment and no longer had the ability to make personal decisions about your future?

Today, being of sound mind (well, I'm not speaking to CrusaderFrank, Willow Tree, Warrior or Stephanie) would you choose to end your life before becoming a burden to your family?
No. I have saved for my final years in a nursing home if need be. I believe the end of my life is in God's hands. He will take me when he is good and ready.

Of course, Alzheimer's Disease isn't the only terminal illness, but what if you someday you were stricken with this ailment and no longer had the ability to make personal decisions about your future?

Today, being of sound mind (well, I'm not speaking to CrusaderFrank, Willow Tree, Warrior or Stephanie) would you choose to end your life before becoming a burden to your family?
No. I have saved for my final years in a nursing home if need be. I believe the end of my life is in God's hands. He will take me when he is good and ready.

I'd rather be dead than in a nursing home.

Speaking of soundness of mind, I'd be willing to pull your plug and put us all out of our misery. Do you want to have it written up in legal form or do you want me to do it?

I might support a living will in which a person makes the choice based on they just wouldn't want to be in that state. It's the last part of your post that makes me cringe...I do not want our culture to evolve into one which the elderly feel obligated to check out based on not "becoming a burden to their family". I also don't want it to be accepted for younger people to feel entitled to being resentful if an elderly family member didn't want to make that choice, as if to look down upon them for "being selfish".

In our living will (revocable trust) both my wife and I agreed on a a DNR, which we gave to our health provider. I have no interest in living out my life in a bed unable to function and dependent on others for basics [in fact I told my adult kids of our choice and asked them after my demise to spread my ashes on a ball field where I spent my youth, along with the ashes of my dog who loved playing catch).

My (our) choice is not one of obligation to anyone but ourselves, I love life but not so much that I want to spend my final days in bed, needing a bed pan, and my meals delivered via an IV.

A standing DNR order is different than euthanasia.

I don't support euthanasia, too easy to be manipulated into murder for personal gain. It also makes it easier to allow policies to be mandated that intentionally cull the herd.

And that's my point. Why does the State decide where and when I choose to die? Why would I need to sneak out to the garage and put a garden hose from the tail pipe into my car? I'd much prefer going as my dog did surrounded by her family and simply go to sleep after the vet put a needle in her paw. Yeah, we all cried, but to watch her in pain, unable to play ball or even walk without pain to the 'sandbox" was worse.

We need to go beyond removal of life support and use an end of life injection

Allowing a terminal patient to starve to death, dehydrate or gasp for breath till they expire is a cruel way to end a life

Speaking of soundness of mind, I'd be willing to pull your plug and put us all out of our misery. Do you want to have it written up in legal form or do you want me to do it?

LOL, mea culpa, I left you out when I noted the four stooges above. Sorry, I'm sure any attention you get you find welcome. In the future I'll try to remember you. Maybe you might post something of substance one day and be less forgettable.

LOL, mea culpa, I left you out when I noted the four stooges above. Sorry, I'm sure any attention you get you find welcome. In the future I'll try to remember you. Maybe you might post something of substance one day and be less forgettable.

When you raise the standard of your's, I'll do likewise.

The Alzheimers years would be the most lucid of a liberals life. why would we want to take that away from them?

i think as long as you are making up your own mind it is fine. it should not be left up to the government to make that decision for you

Tough call this.

I don't want to live in a world where people feel a social, economic or familial pressure to terminal their own life.

That is a recipe for disaster.

On the other hand, what choice is more personal in life than hour at which one decides it is time to shuffle off this mortal coil.

I think, weighing the pros and cons, I err on the side of tradition.
does that mean you'd prefer to be fed by through a tube and have your ass wiped by someone else all because of a belief?

Last edited:

I'd rather be in a nursing home for ten years than cause local cops to come into my blood-spattered bathroom, throw up, and be haunted by the horrors of what they saw at the sight of a suicide. Nobody should have to clean something like that up so a family won't see it, then carry the sight of it in their mind for life. Nope. Not right. And yep. It matters.

I'd rather be in a nursing home for ten years than cause local cops to come into my blood-spattered bathroom, throw up, and be haunted by the horrors of what they saw at the sight of a suicide. Nobody should have to clean something like that up so a family won't see it, then carry the sight of it in their mind for life. Nope. Not right. And yep. It matters.
cutting your wrists is the only option you could think of?
a clean option would be to fire up your bbq in the house and close all the windows.
no fuss no muss.

There's a big difference between living and being alive.

When my time comes, I'd like to know that I can at least check out with dignity and on my own terms.

No one is saying that you have to get an operation if you don't want. No one is making anyone take the medication. I see this as leaving one's life in God's hands. However, being poisoned, shot in the head, drowned, having a bag placed over one's head are all forms of murder. Killing one's self is a form of playing God and trying to tell God who is boss... Allowing nature to take its course isn't.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between living and being alive.

When my time comes, I'd like to know that I can at least check out with dignity and on my own terms.

No one is saying that you have to get an operation if you don't want. No one is making anyone take the medication. I see this as leaving one's life in God's hands. However, being poisoned, shot in the head, drowned, having a bag placed over one's head are all forms of murder. Killing one's self is a form of playing God and trying to tell God who is boss... Allowing nature to take its course isn't.

God is not always merciful in how he takes us

There is no need to make a patient suffer, starve or gasp for air in order to die

A standing DNR order is different than euthanasia.

I don't support euthanasia, too easy to be manipulated into murder for personal gain. It also makes it easier to allow policies to be mandated that intentionally cull the herd.

And that's my point. Why does the State decide where and when I choose to die? Why would I need to sneak out to the garage and put a garden hose from the tail pipe into my car? I'd much prefer going as my dog did surrounded by her family and simply go to sleep after the vet put a needle in her paw. Yeah, we all cried, but to watch her in pain, unable to play ball or even walk without pain to the 'sandbox" was worse.

Asked and answered. It's too ripe for manipulation. If you want to make the choice on your own, swallow a bottle of Oxycodone.

There comes a time to say goodbye

Prolonging the inevitable does not help

This is such a difficult question.... I would say yes in a heartbeat......but I am too afraid of the spiritual consequences.... I feel that it is not right to take your own life......

I don't know what to say...I can only pray death will be swift and easy for me when it comes.

Forum List

Back