Alzheimer's and Euthanasia, a Poll

Should the law outlaw euthanasia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd rather be dead than in a nursing home.
I'd rather be in a nursing home for ten years than cause local cops to come into my blood-spattered bathroom, throw up, and be haunted by the horrors of what they saw at the sight of a suicide. Nobody should have to clean something like that up so a family won't see it, then carry the sight of it in their mind for life. Nope. Not right. And yep. It matters.

Actually the local police don't clean up, nor does the Coroner. There are private sector businesses who do the work, once the crime scene is released. All of which can be obviated by the Oregon Law allowing Death with Dignity:

"From the act's passage through 2011, a total of 935 people have had prescriptions written and 596 patients have died from ingesting medications prescribed under the act. The average age of the 596 patients who died from ingesting medication was 71, with 80.9 percent of patients suffering from malignant neoplasms (cancer). Of the 596, 51.7% were male (48.3% female); 44.7% had a Baccalaureate degree or higher; 45.7% were married; primary end of life concerns were loss of autonomy (90.9%), inability to make life enjoyable (88.3%), and loss of dignity (82.7%)."

Quote from this link:

Oregon Ballot Measure 16 (1994) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the pay is pretty good if you got the stomach for it

Tough call this.

I don't want to live in a world where people feel a social, economic or familial pressure to terminal their own life.

That is a recipe for disaster.

On the other hand, what choice is more personal in life than hour at which one decides it is time to shuffle off this mortal coil.

I think, weighing the pros and cons, I err on the side of tradition.
does that mean you'd prefer to be fed by through a tube and have your ass wiped by someone else all because of a belief?

I came into the world just like that, am I don't recall being put off by it.

I'll let you know when it's over if I'd have changed anything.

Of course, Alzheimer's Disease isn't the only terminal illness, but what if you someday you were stricken with this ailment and no longer had the ability to make personal decisions about your future?

Today, being of sound mind (well, I'm not speaking to CrusaderFrank, Willow Tree, Warrior or Stephanie) would you choose to end your life before becoming a burden to your family?

Actually you could end your life anytime you choose "before becoming a burden on your family". The question is whether you would want someone to murder you after you became a burden on your family.

Murder is a criminal offense. Dying with assistance and with dignity is entirely different. One would think that a Libertarian would support a patients choice. It's those who profit by keeping a dying person alive who oppose assisted suicide, and those who believe such an action is a sin. The real sin is keeping the patient alive when s/he knows they are terminal and are in pain, both physically and emotionally.

It comes down to patient choice and the wishes of the family. If the patient has made clear his preferences, then a panel of doctors should review the charts to determine if the conditions of the directive are being met.
Pulling the plug is cruel and forces the patient to die gasping for air or from lack of food or water. Give them an injection to end their suffering

I work with elderly people, most of whom are in various stages of dementia and/or Alzheimer's. It's a sad situation, very emotionally draining, and you do what can be done in the way of comfort and care. So many elders are dumped into nursing homes only to be forgotten by family and friends ... few to no visitors for some of them.

Euthanasia should be outlawed. No one, and certainly no government, should ever decide who lives and who dies. It's one of the great worries of Obamacare - denial of medical procedures and/or treatment by a board of bureaucrats is a great worry of elders. (I've already received an official informational notification/opinion questionnaire to be returned to Congress.) This "Medical Rationing Board" is accountable to no one and would have the power to decide whether a person is worth staying alive. In other words, those decisions are taken out of the patient/doctor realm altogether. I'm going to object to every damned question on the thing.

There is now an almost standard question at all medical facilities and doctors' offices - "Do you have an AMD (Advanced Medical Directive) aka a living will and/or a Power Of Attorney?" If so, they want a copy of it for their files; if not, you are encouraged to get it. By having these documents, you are setting forth your wishes as to end of life preferences and someone to authorize those preferences to be carried out.

Tough call this.

I don't want to live in a world where people feel a social, economic or familial pressure to terminal their own life.

That is a recipe for disaster.

On the other hand, what choice is more personal in life than hour at which one decides it is time to shuffle off this mortal coil.

I think, weighing the pros and cons, I err on the side of tradition.
does that mean you'd prefer to be fed by through a tube and have your ass wiped by someone else all because of a belief?

I came into the world just like that, am I don't recall being put off by it.

I'll let you know when it's over if I'd have changed anything.
sweet dodge..

I work with elderly people, most of whom are in various stages of dementia and/or Alzheimer's. It's a sad situation, very emotionally draining, and you do what can be done in the way of comfort and care. So many elders are dumped into nursing homes only to be forgotten by family and friends ... few to no visitors for some of them.

Euthanasia should be outlawed. No one, and certainly no government, should ever decide who lives and who dies. It's one of the great worries of Obamacare - denial of medical procedures and/or treatment by a board of bureaucrats is a great worry of elders. (I've already received an official informational notification/opinion questionnaire to be returned to Congress.) This "Medical Rationing Board" is accountable to no one and would have the power to decide whether a person is worth staying alive. In other words, those decisions are taken out of the patient/doctor realm altogether. I'm going to object to every damned question on the thing.

There is now an almost standard question at all medical facilities and doctors' offices - "Do you have an AMD (Advanced Medical Directive) aka a living will and/or a Power Of Attorney?" If so, they want a copy of it for their files; if not, you are encouraged to get it. By having these documents, you are setting forth your wishes as to end of life preferences and someone to authorize those preferences to be carried out.
you did know insurance companies already do what you say the government will do.

you did know insurance companies already do what you say the government will do.

Which ones?

Use real examples.

Which ones?

Use real examples.
mine ...blue shield of California...
a panel decides what drugs and what treatment is the most cost effective for them..disregarding the doctors suggestions..
an EXAMPLE: I had to wait three years for a pacemaker/defibrillator that would prevent the type arrhythmia I got from chemotherapy... GOOD ENOUGH?

Actually you could end your life anytime you choose "before becoming a burden on your family". The question is whether you would want someone to murder you after you became a burden on your family.

Murder is a criminal offense. Dying with assistance and with dignity is entirely different. One would think that a Libertarian would support a patients choice. It's those who profit by keeping a dying person alive who oppose assisted suicide, and those who believe such an action is a sin. The real sin is keeping the patient alive when s/he knows they are terminal and are in pain, both physically and emotionally.

My concern is for the victims of those that profit by killing someone for profit. Advanced directives should be sufficient for your concerns.

and there you have it...in a nut shell.....profit in killing loved ones.....

yall really have this weird view of alz...my mother is very good to go physically....she walks daily....etc...her mind is gone...not her body...

YOUR LIVING WILLS ETC AND ALL THOSE LEGAL DOCUMENTS ARE GOOD ONLY AS LONG AS YOUR LOVED ONES GO WITH THE WILLS ETC...IF NOT...THEY ARE JUST PIECES OF PAPER....NOTHING MORE....I HAD THEM ALL..AND STILL WENT TO COURT.....

i had to have mom declared incompetent something neither she nor i ever wanted me to have to do...but i had to do it to keep her siblings from moving her and taking her money...they wanted her to change all paper work including her will....granted they had not seen her in two years but suddenly knew what was best for her....

that was two days of hell in court and i will never forget that or forgive..well so far no forgiveness...

no one wants to go into a home or assisted living...i dont care how much you dress it up...its still the same....i wished i had had other options but i could not take care of her 24/7 and that is what she needs....and she is not in the latter stages....yep its gonna get worse...

i have two emotions when i leave mom now days.....

if it has been a good visit ...a good day....i leave with an odd peace of knowing this could be a good day for my mom to die.....

if she is flat screaming at me....i leave with the express hope.....that she does not die with that bad feeling between us...

both feelings are an extreme hell for me...

and i have already made a pact with the one person i can trust enough to do it.....
simply feed me narcotics till i die....another friend who had aids went that way....two cups of pills....one will stop the pain for a while...both will stop it forever.....done while he was strong enough to decide and do it himself....

connery i wonder which of us has put a greater burden on our sons?

Of course, Alzheimer's Disease isn't the only terminal illness, but what if you someday you were stricken with this ailment and no longer had the ability to make personal decisions about your future?

Today, being of sound mind (well, I'm not speaking to CrusaderFrank, Willow Tree, Warrior or Stephanie) would you choose to end your life before becoming a burden to your family?

Make a living will. If I end up severely incapacitated I will make it clear that I want my life to be ended, if it is legal.

Be careful there. You are already severely incapacitated!

wow this question has hit rather close to home with me...as i have said in the past....mom has a living will....mom says in that will...once she has dementia...severe stage to with hold all medical treatment including meds...no feeding tube etc...my mother was a very strong willed and determined woman...born and raised born who managed by hard work and make the buffalo on the nickel shit in her hand...she achieved her goals....she was well dressed, well spoken great since of humor...she was also cruel, hatefilled and vengeful to the max...now she has indian alh. where she has forgotten everything but the grudges....mom is dead..she has been.....

now i got this smelly mean ass little alien...who gives me the skunk eye more than anything else...she is legally blind but knows my damned shirt tail is showing below my hoodie and takes great offense...i have to look right to take her smelly ass out...lol....she is a happy little thing for the most part...has her dove ice cream and little mints hidden behind her huge ass tv screen...she no longer reads nor writes...the other day...she was all happy about the new tv shows on .....and wanted me to watch the last of the new shows....i watched 30 minutes of the 'big valley' wondering how old that show really was....everything old is literally new to her again...she will say..."i have never seen that" at common things...but my point is...its easy to say this and that...cause most people have no real concept of the stages of alz and how it robs the person and the family but its not that easy just to say.....let her go...take her off her meds....let the diabetes run wild inside her...let her kidneys shut down...i have gotten a dnr ..that is as far as i will go and i only got that cause after her heart attack i opted for the 'conservative treatment' and they pretty much said...that means a dnr...

i guess my point is...yes the one you know..dies with dementia...but there are glimmers of that person even inside the smelly little alien...and that kinda keeps you going...plus its just not as easy to let a person die in real life as it is in cyber life

You have no problem wishing death on me.

o my bad...i thought this was a thread about a poster who has claimed to be dying for a while now....but yet lives on lol....my bad

You are a vile, subhuman, ape. There are others for which I do not care to search.

would you choose to end your life before becoming a burden to your family?

A resounding "YES" to the question. I would choose to end my life before becoming a burden to myself, as well.

I like the Oregon Death with Dignity Act:

On October 27, 1997 Oregon enacted the Death with Dignity Act which allows terminally-ill Oregonians to end their lives through the voluntary self-administration of lethal medications, expressly prescribed by a physician for that purpose. The Oregon Death with Dignity Act requires the Oregon Health Authority to collect information about the patients and physicians who participate in the Act, and publish an annual statistical report.

Death with Dignity Act

would you choose to end your life before becoming a burden to your family?

A resounding "YES" to the question. I would choose to end my life before becoming a burden to myself, as well.

I like the Oregon Death with Dignity Act:

On October 27, 1997 Oregon enacted the Death with Dignity Act which allows terminally-ill Oregonians to end their lives through the voluntary self-administration of lethal medications, expressly prescribed by a physician for that purpose. The Oregon Death with Dignity Act requires the Oregon Health Authority to collect information about the patients and physicians who participate in the Act, and publish an annual statistical report.

Death with Dignity Act

Suicide of a loved one is one of the greatest burdens, and it also makes those loved one a suicide risk because it confers a type of permission. I have seen so much over the years, that the last thing I would do is deliberately end my life. I have a Living Will and will fight this disease with every weapon except a heart/lung transplant. I just think a transplant is gross. There is an article that someone sent me that states medical providers get the least end of life care because they know there is no point. I don't think refusing extraordinary measures is the same as suicide, and I don't think that hurts the family the way a suicide does. I would just never choose suicide because it ends your pain but spreads it out the all those who love you. It simply isn't a fair or equitable choice. Just my perspective from 25 years of dealing with suicidal people.

wow this question has hit rather close to home with me...as i have said in the past....mom has a living will....mom says in that will...once she has dementia...severe stage to with hold all medical treatment including meds...no feeding tube etc...my mother was a very strong willed and determined woman...born and raised born who managed by hard work and make the buffalo on the nickel shit in her hand...she achieved her goals....she was well dressed, well spoken great since of humor...she was also cruel, hatefilled and vengeful to the max...now she has indian alh. where she has forgotten everything but the grudges....mom is dead..she has been.....

now i got this smelly mean ass little alien...who gives me the skunk eye more than anything else...she is legally blind but knows my damned shirt tail is showing below my hoodie and takes great offense...i have to look right to take her smelly ass out...lol....she is a happy little thing for the most part...has her dove ice cream and little mints hidden behind her huge ass tv screen...she no longer reads nor writes...the other day...she was all happy about the new tv shows on .....and wanted me to watch the last of the new shows....i watched 30 minutes of the 'big valley' wondering how old that show really was....everything old is literally new to her again...she will say..."i have never seen that" at common things...but my point is...its easy to say this and that...cause most people have no real concept of the stages of alz and how it robs the person and the family but its not that easy just to say.....let her go...take her off her meds....let the diabetes run wild inside her...let her kidneys shut down...i have gotten a dnr ..that is as far as i will go and i only got that cause after her heart attack i opted for the 'conservative treatment' and they pretty much said...that means a dnr...

i guess my point is...yes the one you know..dies with dementia...but there are glimmers of that person even inside the smelly little alien...and that kinda keeps you going...plus its just not as easy to let a person die in real life as it is in cyber life

o my bad...i thought this was a thread about a poster who has claimed to be dying for a while now....but yet lives on lol....my bad

You are a vile, subhuman, ape. There are others for which I do not care to search.

how funny asking why you are not dead is not the same as wishing you were dead now is it?

and i am still waiting for you to explain how i am wiccan but that is just more of your lies....

how funny asking why you are not dead is not the same as wishing you were dead now is it?

and i am still waiting for you to explain how i am wiccan but that is just more of your lies....

Why don't you go beg to be a mod. Then you can ban me. O wait. They don't have a ban button for yourself.

Forum List

Back