Amend Florida's 'stand your ground' law, says lawyer for Markeis McGlockton's family

Have you ever used your weapon to dissuade someone w/o shooting?

• Total voters
Again, The dead pusher was measuring up a massive kick to down fat mans head. hitching up pants, leering down, advancing. The Gun came out just before. Pusher then began to drift, they (she was out of car heading for back) had planned to hit him front an back. Prove me wrong.
Fire when he begins to approach you....not while he is backing away

Again, The dead pusher was measuring up a massive kick to down fat mans head. hitching up pants, leering down, advancing. The Gun came out just before. Pusher then began to drift, they (she was out of car heading for back) had planned to hit him front an back. Prove me wrong.
When you have been shoved down violently it is a reasonable anticipation that more violence will come and that you are at a disadvantage. Again, the white guy was running his mouth at the time he was physically assaulted!

If this is the same parking lot shooting incident I'd call it a clean shoot.

The shooter confronted someone for illegally parking.

He was assaulted.

He defended himself from further aggression.

Would I have confronted a man for parking in a HC spot w/o a tag?

Fuck no. You won't even see me confront or interfere in a serious crime unless I know that failing to act will result in serious injury or death to someone I know to be an innocent victim. Otherwise my role as a citizen is to observe and report the incident to authorities. The liability involved is far too great of a risk to be a "hero".

It is the responsibility of every citizen to keep their hands to themselves. If you don't want to get shot, do not push, slap, shove or even "get in the face of" another citizen who is merely irritating you.

Blacks don't understand that.

When confronted they immediately start raving and resort to violence.

See we don't have a right to confront them when they are breaking the law.

They don't even think law enforcement should confront them.

Crump was never the sharpest knife in the drawer. I have no idea how he passed the bar.

Under what circumstances an aggressor can claim self defense is first year criminal law stuff.
Stand your ground means might makes right

Once a fight starts, you can use your gun to resolve it
No troll, it means you don't have to run when a criminal attacks you. That is all it means.

And what if you are the one who initiated the confrontation?

You can start a fight, then pull your gun and fire, claiming you feared for your life and stood your ground
If the white man had an obligation to end this peacefully then sodid the black man. When someone is merely running his mouth you have choices! Shoving him violently is not an acceptable choice is it?

When you have been shoved down violently it is a reasonable anticipation that more violence will come and that you are at a disadvantage. Again, the white guy was running his mouth at the time he was physically assaulted!

OK? I think? I would never approach any parked car in a parking rage incident. Especially with kids in the car. But this idiot did and decided to argue.

What would happen to the fat man busybody w/o a Gun? Kicked? Ran over? Head smashed to pavement? All of above? Gun saved his fat butt.

OK? I think? I would never approach any parked car in a parking rage incident. Especially with kids in the car. But this idiot did and decided to argue.

What would happen to the fat man busybody w/o a Gun? Kicked? Ran over? Head smashed to pavement? All of above? Gun saved his fat butt.
Right! White guy should not have been running his mouth but the physical assault on his person was a crime! Right?

Yes! He could have been kicked ran over or even had his head smashed on the pavement. Hence the stand your ground law applies! He was reasonably in fear of death or severe bodily injury!

Lawyer Benjamin Crump said Thursday that "it's still ludicrous" that a person can be an aggressor in a confrontation and then claim self-defense.

by Erik Ortiz / Jul.26.2018 / 4:48 PM ET / Updated Jul.26.2018 / 5:57 PM ET

McGlockton attorney speaks out against 'stand your ground'
Jul.26.201802:28

A prominent civil rights attorney on Thursday demanded Florida lawmakers amend the state's "stand your ground" law to prevent the person shown to be the aggressor in a confrontation from claiming immunity.

Lawyer Benjamin Crump joined the family of Markeis McGlockton, the 28-year-old father of three fatally shot by another man in a Clearwater parking lot, and argued there is enough evidence for state prosecutors to bring charges against the shooter.

"It's still ludicrous how you can claim you have fear for your life, yet you approach and start the confrontation with the individuals," Crump said at a news conference outside the Pinellas County Justice Center.

He also called for state legislators to take up stricter gun responsibility laws. Florida has some of the most lax gun laws in the nation, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, a California-based organization started by former congresswoman Gabby Giffords.
The problem is not with the stand your ground law, it's the fact that in order for it to work properly they're relying on what is essentially an "honor" system that is being abused by individuals who have failured to complay with the requirements for the lethal use of force they've employed.

Too many of the individuals involved in committing these offenses initated the confrontation I'm sure bolden by the fact that they were carrying. Additionally, several bad rulings set precedence that from all appearances is next to impossible to undo.

As I've indicataed before, they teach you what to do and say in the training classes required for obtaining a concealed carry permit (state "I was in fear for my life") but they also teach you under what set of circumstances you can legally draw your weapon without it being considered brandishing and what level of threat allows you to respond with deadly force. And picking a fight just so that you can pull your weapon and shoot someone is not a valid legal basis but more importantly, that's not self-defense. In many cases It's the cowardly act of any individual who is unable to distinguish between an actual threat and an injury to their ego.
Told ya....they are willing to perpetrate an injustice to advance a political goal and stir the race hate..

Told ya....they are willing to perpetrate an injustice to advance a political goal and stir the race hate..
This is just about race to you? Nothing to do with an abuse of the stand your ground laws?

So if I'm walking down the street and some guy grabs my ass or breasts I can justifiably shoot to kill him because I was in fear that a sexual assault was imminent?

This is just about race to you? Nothing to do with an abuse of the stand your ground laws?

So if I'm walking down the street and some guy grabs my ass or breasts I can justifiably shoot to kill him because I was in fear that a sexual assault was imminent?
Is grabbing your ass and breasts assault?

Crump was never the sharpest knife in the drawer. I have no idea how he passed the bar.

Under what circumstances an aggressor can claim self defense is first year criminal law stuff.

The McGlockton shooting had nothing to do with the Florida stand your ground law. It was either self defense or manslaughter. When one is laying on their back on the ground, fleeing is not an option.

If he grabbed your ass or your tits, he has already assaulted you. If you reasonably believe that he intends to do you further harm, then yes, you can shoot him. if he ceases the assault after the grab, then you cannot shoot him. Kick him in the balls would be a good alternative.

Epitaph for slain black dude in Florida. 'I fought the law and the law won' You may disagree with the law but in the end....the law rules.

“Amend Florida's 'stand your ground' law, says lawyer for Markeis McGlockton's family”

Needless to say, that’s not going to happen.

If he grabbed your ass or your tits, he has already assaulted you. If you reasonably believe that he intends to do you further harm, then yes, you can shoot him. if he ceases the assault after the grab, then you cannot shoot him. Kick him in the balls would be a good alternative.

In order to be justified to use deadly force under the law of self defense--- one much reasonably believe their life is in danger and or that they may suffer grievieous bodily harm.
If you believe you were about to be raped and can convince the jury of that then you would probably be exonerated.

But if the jury thinks the guy just wanted a cheap feel then you are in trouble.

Anytime someone uses deadly force their actions come under a microscope ...the investigators must be convinced you acted appropriately or they will reccomend that charges be filed. The jury must be convinced by your argument or you will face jail time. So one must think very quickly and very accuraetly in such situations...and if you make the wrong decision you will suffer the consequences. Bottom line: the use of deadly force is not something to take lightly. The only time you should use it is when you really believe your life is in danger or you are about to suffer grievious bodily harm..

Last edited:
“Amend Florida's 'stand your ground' law, says lawyer for Markeis McGlockton's family”

Needless to say, that’s not going to happen.

Exactly as it has been shown the majority of the people like that law and anyone with common sense should like that law.

Why should you be required to flee as in run away or retreat just because someone attacked you. If someone comes up to you and violently knocks you to the ground...would you attempt to get up and run away? especially if you had a pistol in your pocket? Whilst you were attempting to get up your attacker could easily follow up with a kick to your head and he might not stop with one kick. Would you want to take that gamble?

Lawyer Benjamin Crump said Thursday that "it's still ludicrous" that a person can be an aggressor in a confrontation and then claim self-defense.

A prominent civil rights attorney on Thursday demanded Florida lawmakers amend the state's "stand your ground" law to prevent the person shown to be the aggressor in a confrontation from claiming immunity.

Lawyer Benjamin Crump joined the family of Markeis McGlockton, the 28-year-old father of three fatally shot by another man in a Clearwater parking lot, and argued there is enough evidence for state prosecutors to bring charges against the shooter.

"It's still ludicrous how you can claim you have fear for your life, yet you approach and start the confrontation with the individuals," Crump said at a news conference outside the Pinellas County Justice Center.

He also called for state legislators to take up stricter gun responsibility laws. Florida has some of the most lax gun laws in the nation, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, a California-based organization started by former congresswoman Gabby Giffords.
The problem is not with the stand your ground law, it's the fact that in order for it to work properly they're relying on what is essentially an "honor" system that is being abused by individuals who have failured to complay with the requirements for the lethal use of force they've employed.

Too many of the individuals involved in committing these offenses initated the confrontation I'm sure bolden by the fact that they were carrying. Additionally, several bad rulings set precedence that from all appearances is next to impossible to undo.

As I've indicataed before, they teach you what to do and say in the training classes required for obtaining a concealed carry permit (state "I was in fear for my life") but they also teach you under what set of circumstances you can legally draw your weapon without it being considered brandishing and what level of threat allows you to respond with deadly force. And picking a fight just so that you can pull your weapon and shoot someone is not a valid legal basis but more importantly, that's not self-defense. In many cases It's the cowardly act of any individual who is unable to distinguish between an actual threat and an injury to their ego.

There is no problem with the Stand Your Ground laws...anti gunners hate them because it keeps them from prosecuting innocent victims who use guns to stop rape, robbery and murder.

There are 17 million people carrying guns in this country....Stand Your Ground is a tiny number of shootings each year... you don't know what you are talking about..

As actual research shows, those people who carry guns are more law abiding than the average citizen and more law abiding than even sworn police officers.

Anti gunners hate guns and this is a fake issue to allow them to go after gun owners.

And you think most CCW holders attended law school?

If they did, it still wouldn't stop them from reciting the right words to apply the stand your ground law.

And reciting words does not protect them if they shot without justification you moron. In order for Stand Your Ground to apply you have to actually meet all other standards for self defense...you just don't have to prove your innocent to a prosecutor if you don't run away.....before, you twit....if a prosecutor could make up a story that you could have run away instead of actually having to defend yourself....you went to jail.....that is why Stand Your Ground was created...

Left wingers want people to quietly submit to rape, murder and robbery and if they don't, they will be punished.

Forum List

Back