America agrees with Trump: New poll reveals 58% think 'professional athletes should be req. to stand

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
It looks like the NFL is fighting a battle it can't win. It's only a matter of time until the owners submit.

America agrees with Trump: New poll reveals 58% think 'professional athletes should be required to stand during the anthem at sporting events'

• September 25-26 Reuters/Ipsos poll found 57 per cent of adults don't think the NFL should fire kneeling players
  • 58 per cent agreed with President Donald Trump saying that 'professional athletes should be required to stand during the anthem at sporting events'
  • The poll gathered responses from 1,622 people, including 628 Democrats and 583 Republicans
  • Of respondents 85 per cent almost always 'stand in silence' when the national anthem is played at an event and 74 per cent put their hand over their heart

It looks like the NFL is fighting a battle it can't win. It's only a matter of time until the owners submit.

America agrees with Trump: New poll reveals 58% think 'professional athletes should be required to stand during the anthem at sporting events'

• September 25-26 Reuters/Ipsos poll found 57 per cent of adults don't think the NFL should fire kneeling players
  • 58 per cent agreed with President Donald Trump saying that 'professional athletes should be required to stand during the anthem at sporting events'
  • The poll gathered responses from 1,622 people, including 628 Democrats and 583 Republicans
  • Of respondents 85 per cent almost always 'stand in silence' when the national anthem is played at an event and 74 per cent put their hand over their heart

Count me in

-Geaux

It only works if people stay away from the stadium and turn off their TV's. It could even get worse if people target sponsors, we will see how serious people are about this backlash.

Consider that Colin K is not back in the league when so many teams are weak and could use a better QB, even as backup. It illustrates that they are worried about this kneeling issue. Now that it hasn't stopped and ratings continue to slide, there is a much bigger risk here. They made it far worse by going after Trump rather than focusing on the issue Colin had began kneeling for. It is going to cost them many more fans now.

If, sponsors withdraw, if owners feel their TV deal is going to be worth alot less, than I imagine the following process could occur:

- Owners demand in private that players stand.
- Goodell is canned to bring in a tougher Commissioner.
- New Commissioner probably tries to play both sides, possibly suggest that those players who don't want to stand for the anthem can remain in the locker room, knowing full well when only 2-3 do this per team it will not gain traction.
- Then, escalating to fines and suspensions for any player who disrespects the anthem or flag on the field which will basically eliminate any public display of disrespect to the flag, the nation and the military in particular.

Trump is correct when he stated that Goodell had done a horrible job at dealing with this issue. What's worse than fans who don't care are fans who become apathetic about the sport. That would force everything down in value, from tickets to TV rights, and of course, players salaries.

It would also be a boon to college football at least in the short term.

Go ahead and get a law passed then.

If you're not going to fire them for not standing...how are you going to make them stand?

Forced patriotism doesn't seem a little, oh I don't know, fascist to anyone?

How about a new Amendment to the Constitution. No flag burning, players and fans are required to stand during the National Anthem, even those at home. Fines and jail time (or deportation?) for those who do not comply?

</sarcasm>

How about a new Amendment to the Constitution. No flag burning, players and fans are required to stand during the National Anthem, even those at home. Fines and jail time (or deportation?) for those who do not comply?

</sarcasm>

Oh yeah, almost forgot, include that third stanza in the song too.

:argue:

The NFL selectively chooses which of their rules to enforce! For example, the Dallas Cowboys wanted to wear a decal on their helmets to honor the five Dallas police officers who were killed while protecting a "Black Lives Matter" protest for their first exhibition game. The NFL said no, because it would violate their rules. The NFL does, however, also have a rule regarding the national anthem. The team is supposed to be on the field before the anthem is played, stand and hold their helmets in their left hand! Had they enforced this rule with Colin Kappernick last year, this wouldn't still be an issue. Apparently, the owners and players are too dumb to understand why the NFL has lost attendance and viewership since last year, and that they are in danger of killing the goose that lays the golden egg!

(A) I'm not sure why we play the national anthem before professional sporting events. If they just stopped doing it (with no publicity), it wouldn't bother me in the least.

(B) The playing of the National Anthem has become a tribute to veterans and soldiers. Maybe because there is a lot of military participation in the ceremony in recent years, some of which is actually paid for by the military services as "advertising."

(C) America TODAY owes a tremendous debt to current military personnel, because THEY DO WHAT MOST AMERICANS ARE TOO SELFISH AND COWARDLY TO DO. In the past when we had a military draft, the military represented all of us, but now they are our paid defenders.

(D) Hence, the National Anthem should not be disrespected - it is NOT a political statement. It is an expression of honor and respect to both the country and to the military, past and present.

(E) Just as important, the BASIS OF THESE PROTESTS is, to be kind, extremely dubious. Despite pockets of racial prejudice, and sporadic incidents of police misconduct toward "Blacks," Black people fare better in the U.S. than any place else in the world, including their native lands in Africa. The U.S. taxpayer has given trillions to Blacks in various forms, mainly in the ill-advised and ill-conceived War on Poverty. To protest that this country treats Blacks badly is outrageous, and to have millionaire athletes voicing the protests is...beyond belief.

(F) I would stop going to NFL games, but I would never waste my money on one anyway, so I can't do that. Don't watch 'em. Don't read about 'em in the newspaper. Couldn't care less.

I'm outraged! Every entertainer in America should engage in political activism while performing for the customers!

'America agrees with Trump: New poll reveals 58% think 'professional athletes should be req. to stand'

Democrats / snowflakes are claiming '58%' is 'Electoral College' but that they / the NFL is winning the 'Popular Vote'.

:p

Despite my opinion, I say let the players kneel/sit if they want to. It's a fad. They will get tired of it. They also may get concerned when they see the roots of their paycheck ( fans) taking their own knee or sitting out entire games. Money talks and bullshit walks.

I don't recall the "Groper in Chief" proclaiming that the owners should "make them stand"

I recall him calling them son of bitches and using his trademark signature term, petty as it seems in the light of the real problems in the world today, right now.

Go ahead and get a law passed then.

We don't need or want a law passed. We'll just make the owners and players pay for their offensive behavior financially. The owners are going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions, and several players have already lost endorsements. You see, sponsors don't think athletes who insult the country, and thereby their fans, are good for their business.

DKvFEnkUQAEJTnJ.jpg:large

Forum List

Back