America dumbs down

"The U.S. is being overrun by a wave of anti-science, anti-intellectual thinking. Has the most powerful nation on Earth lost its mind?"

America dumbs down: a rising tide of anti-intellectual thinking

Xenophobia, bigotry, homophobia must be hardwired at some level--because I think we should have outgrown all the 1950's-1960's red scare masking prejudice hate we see today.

Why don't you work on overcome the hate give out? Then maybe you can lecture others about it.

Be the solution to the problem instead of just blaming others for it.

Funny...I have repeatedly been called "elitist" on these forums, ostensibly because I hold a doctorate and have progressive views...
Regardless that I am the daughter of penniless immigrants and worked hard for everything...
Our prez also had a humble start and had to work hard to get ahead...and is endlessly slammed as "elitist"...
Why is it that those who show intellect and ability to succeed "from scratch" against odds... to realize the "American Dream" from humble beginnings... garner such resentment?
..Resentment and hatred From the same fools that admire those who inherit wealth and privilege for their "starts"...like Trump, Romney and the Bushes...
The latter are the true elitists...as are the politicians who serve lobbyists and BIG MONEY rather than actually working for the folks that elect them.
America is not only being "dumbed down"...It's being bought and sold endlessly by those that have the money to control and repress information... And LIE, LIE, LIE...
It's so easy to lie to the ignorant and misinformed...especially when the lies are laced with hatred and resentment generating factoids...to get them to vote and act against their own well being...and that of the underprivileged.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Last edited:
Funny...I have repeatedly been called "elitist" on these forums, ostensibly because I hold a doctorate and have progressive views...
Regardless that I am the daughter of penniless immigrants and worked hard for everything...
Our prez also had a humble start and had to work hard to get ahead...and is endlessly slammed as "elitist"...
Why is it that those who show intellect and ability to succeed against odds and to realize the "American Dream" from humble beginnings...garner such resentment?

As Santorum said, its 'elitist snobbery' to want an educated country.

Meanwhile, elitist Obama was saying people should be able to get the education they want and need.

So, Santorum was correct when he said, they 'would never have the elite smart people on their side'.

Jeri,

I think most folks in our generation were self starters. I started working every day after school in the 9th grade, and never stopped. My parents never gave me a dime after that, not even for clothes or lunch money. Frankly. a clarinet would have been so far out of my reach that it never would have even occurred to me. The first time I ever wore clothes that were not handed down from my older brother was when I was 17 years old. Yet, LBJ and Nixon gave me a serious incentive to work my way through college. They offered me a job in Vietnam, if I preferred it.

[MENTION=42404]Vandalshandle[/MENTION]

I was working from age 10 and after I left the dishwashing job I became a hostess at a restaurant and I was still underage. I didn't own a clarinet. I couldn't afford it because I gave all my money to my mother for rent. I had a school band issued instrument and they didn't have clarinets available ( of course ) so I had no choice but to play the bass clarinet. I can tell you right now I didn't carry it home most days because it was too heavy. That was when I was a bit older as I recall. It was probably 7th grade. j I remember when I carried it home I would drag it part of the way. On the ground. That probably wasn't good for the case but it was heavy and I was tired. I had one pair of shoes and there was a buckle missing off one of the shoes. I had one pair of Levis which I was permitted to buy while working once and I shared those with my brother. We shared them odd /even days. True story. So one day my brother goes to school and this kid in the bathroom wants him to surrender his lunch money. This kid didn't realize the kids in my family didn't get lunch money. We got an apple and a small sandwich with peanut butter. That was our lunch every single day. So this kid insists my brother has lunch money! My brother insists he does not! The kid knifes my brothers back pocket slashing it all the way down the outer pocket. The material was so thick it didn't cut my brother. To this day my brother says your levis saved my butt! lol... We've got some stories to look back on. - Jeri

Last edited:
I'm glad you went to college, Vandal. I didn't. Although I wasn't offered a job in Vietnam to motivate me either. [MENTION=42404]Vandalshandle[/MENTION]

Why is it that those who show intellect and ability to succeed against odds and to realize the "American Dream" from humble beginnings...garner such resentment?

I don't resent you. I have friends who hold doctorates. I'm proud of them for their success. It's alot of hard work. You should be proud of your accomplishments, Dr. D.

Jeri,

I think most folks in our generation were self starters. I started working every day after school in the 9th grade, and never stopped. My parents never gave me a dime after that, not even for clothes or lunch money. Frankly. a clarinet would have been so far out of my reach that it never would have even occurred to me. The first time I ever wore clothes that were not handed down from my older brother was when I was 17 years old. Yet, LBJ and Nixon gave me a serious incentive to work my way through college. They offered me a job in Vietnam, if I preferred it.

I was working from age 10 and after I left the dishwashing job I became a hostess at a restaurant and I was still underage. I didn't own a clarinet. I couldn't afford it because I gave all my money to my mother for rent. I had a school band issued instrument and they didn't have clarinets available ( of course ) so I had no choice but to play the bass clarinet. I can tell you right now I didn't carry it home most days because it was too heavy. That was when I was a bit older as I recall. It was probably 7th grade. j I remember when I carried it home I would drag it part of the way. On the ground. That probably wasn't good for the case but it was heavy and I was tired. I had one pair of shoes and there was a buckle missing off one of the shoes. I had one pair of Levis which I was permitted to buy while working once and I shared those with my brother. We shared them odd /even days. True story. So one day my brother goes to school and this kid in the bathroom wants him to surrender his lunch money. This kid didn't realize the kids in my family didn't get lunch money. We got an apple and a small sandwich with peanut butter. That was our lunch every single day. So this kid insists my brother has lunch money! My brother insists he does not! The kid knifes my brothers back pocket slashing it all the way down the outer pocket. The material was so thick it didn't cut my brother. To this day my brother says your levis saved my butt! lol... We've got some stories to look back on. - Jeri

lol Jeri...U went thru some tough times as well...and kept ur sense of humor!
Don't know what I'd do without mine...

"The U.S. is being overrun by a wave of anti-science, anti-intellectual thinking. Has the most powerful nation on Earth lost its mind?"

The U.S. is being overrun by a wave of anti-science, anti-intellectual thinking.

That's what happens when the US is overrun by a wave of anti-science, anti-intellectual liberals.
Unfortunately. It doesn't help either, when Republicans are on a crusade against education and healthcare spending. US rankings in the OECD are an embarrassment.

The U.S. is being overrun by a wave of anti-science, anti-intellectual thinking.

That's what happens when the US is overrun by a wave of anti-science, anti-intellectual liberals.
Unfortunately. It doesn't help either, when Republicans are on a crusade against education and healthcare spending. US rankings in the OECD are an embarrassment.

When liberals waste education and healthcare spending, we all lose.

^ Doubtful that this one even knows what "ostensibly" means.

It is also doubtful that it has been called "elitist" at all, although, to the extent it may have gotten that label once or twice, it is probably not related to to the fact that it allegedly has a doctorate.

And "progressive" views are just liberal views under a less clear name.

One is not labeled an elitist for simply holding liberal or "progressive" views. One may be labeled an elitist for holding certain elitist views, though.

Jeri,

lol Jeri...U went thru some tough times as well...and kept ur sense of humor!
Don't know what I'd do without mine...

My story is different from Vandals in one regard. My grandparents were wealthy but my mom was estranged from them over a dispute. Had I remained in Manhattan with them I would have had a very privledged life. They owned a corner block skyscraper in Manhattan and a nice waterfront property on a private beach which I lived in as a small child. My entire experience was un- necessary - but I suppose God thought otherwise. My cousins had a completely different childhood and I'm happy for them. I would not want them to have lived what I lived through. Pride is a terrible thing and some people are cursed with it. They wouldn't ask for help if you set them on fire.

About the sense of humor.... I do have a sense of humor! I think everyone should have one of those!! :eusa_angel:

Surfer Satan

When Disney released its visionary cybersurfing-themed film "Tron" (1982), audiences became more aware of a modern era socio-intellectual trend of celebrating 'matrix money.'

The modern era Jack the Ripper is the elusive Internet hacker.

:afro:

tron.jpg

Attachments

• tron.jpg
    tron.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 92

Forum List

Back