Zone1 American after living abroad

Glad the dude reminded me about another gun I want to buy. I have more than 10 but need at least 15.

I did just fine without a college degree. It's a total myth that you have to go to college to get a good paying job.

again, you are an old fart and a lot has changed since you youth.

I don't believe that identifying with your profession is a uniquely American thing. I was a builder and a craftsman my entire adult life and I still identify as that because it is what I am.

You do not have to believe it, does not change the fact it is true.

So tell me what to all these euro foreigners tell you when you ask them ? Is it something like "Oh I have a job but my true calling is making people laugh by making fart noises"?

I do not deal much with people from Europe, one place I have not visited much. But even there it is less normal to ask someone what they do, as it is not really important unless you are working with/for them.

Things like family and hobbies and other things are more important than what they do to earn a living. it is a far better mindset.

I never said the US was the best at anything. But I believe I would not have achieved what I did anywhere else.

Have you travelled/lived much outside of the US?

again, you are an old fart and a lot has changed since you youth.

You do not have to believe it, does not change the fact it is true.

I do not deal much with people from Europe, one place I have not visited much. But even there it is less normal to ask someone what they do, as it is not really important unless you are working with/for them.

Things like family and hobbies and other things are more important than what they do to earn a living. it is a far better mindset.

Have you travelled/lived much outside of the US?

Not really. In fact the skilled trade's jobs are are in high demand right now.

I've travelled and I have yet to go anywhere that I would rather live than on my now 18 acres of land that is bordered on two sides by national forests. I'll never be able to get that in some foreign country and still have all the conveniences and amenities I do in this country.

I've travelled and I have yet to go anywhere that I would rather live than on my now 18 acres of land that is bordered on two sides by national forests. I'll never be able to get that in some foreign country and still have all the conveniences and amenities I do in this country.

You are correct you will not. As they say (to paraphrase) one man's heaven is another man's hell.

I have lived where we are now for 12 years, the longest I have ever lived in the same area my entire life, by far. The idea of living in just one place till I die sounds just awful to me.

You are correct you will not. As they say (to paraphrase) one man's heaven is another man's hell.

I have lived where we are now for 12 years, the longest I have ever lived in the same area my entire life, by far. The idea of living in just one place till I die sounds just awful to me.
Lots of places are only worth a visit.

Then you move on to the next one. I am so ready to move from where we are it is not even funny. Was ready to move 6 years ago.
If you go to France, try to speak French and they default to English, but if you don't initially attempt to speak French, they plead ignorant and can't understand you. Whereas Spain and in the Canary Islands, they fall over themselves to try their English straight away.

Go to the UK and Germany, costs £0 in medical costs to have a baby.

If Denmark is deemed to have the best education system, other countries should just simply copy it. Despite America's education system being high, students consistently score lower in maths and science than students from many other countries. The cause is down to funding not keeping pace with inflation.

If you go to France, try to speak French and they default to English, but if you don't initially attempt to speak French, they plead ignorant and can't understand you. Whereas Spain and in the Canary Islands, they fall over themselves to try their English straight away.

Go to the UK and Germany, costs £0 in medical costs to have a baby.

If Denmark is deemed to have the best education system, other countries should just simply copy it. Despite America's education system being high, students consistently score lower in maths and science than students from many other countries. The cause is down to funding not keeping pace with inflation.

France is not on my list of places to visit, very few countries in Europe are.

American education funding has more than kept up with inflation, the amount we spend is not the problem, it is how it is spent

Golfing Gator I've been to America quite a number of times, mainly because I had a great aunt live there. She died some 15 to 20 years ago. I have her American passport.

So the times I've been to the US, only seen one gun, and that was in a holster of a female policewoman. She posed so we could take a photo. Everywhere seem fine, cars just coast along, it's a rat race in the UK. We weren't struck on the food, so we made our own meals at the villa, just shopped at Publix.

And two things Americans were fascinated by were, our English accents and Sherlock Holmes. My knowledge of Sherlock Holmes is zero, lol, but we kept getting quizzed about it.

France is not on my list of places to visit, very few countries in Europe are.

American education funding has more than kept up with inflation, the amount we spend is not the problem, it is how it is spent

Just that in this link in pointed out that funding hadn't kept up with inflation.

In general, I think state education in most countries, includes the UK, sucks.

Well, kinda had to work out which part of the forum to start this thread.

Basically, the American in this video has been living abroad for 12 years and he covers such areas as Health, Education, Guns, Freedom and so on. Actually, quite a few areas of the "US Discussion" part of the forum.

Not only I found what he had to say interesting, but also the comments. And as I read the comments, I can relate to how these match the posters comments on USMB who are from outside of America.

Now, there's a chance this thread will move from this part of the forum, but I thought it was the most appropriate place.

Would be interesting to hear what you guys think. I know that many will just diss the video without watching it, but I'm sure there should be the odd useful post.

I found his thoughts on Freedom, Health Care, and Education very interesting.

He contradicted him bigly in the first 2 minutes relative to freedom saying the USA is #15 (like to see who sponsored this list) then talked about how almost all countries one does not have the freedom to own guns lol. Another caveat there is a massive difference being single living abroad making a living working remotely vs. having kids in the local public schools, competing in the local job market etc. 99% of these people are nomadic, no ties, no kids. Also having the most people locked up isn't clamping down on freedom if you did the crimes. And mass shooting are not unique to USA, I can post dozens from Mexico.

Golfing Gator I've been to America quite a number of times, mainly because I had a great aunt live there. She died some 15 to 20 years ago. I have her American passport.

So the times I've been to the US, only seen one gun, and that was in a holster of a female policewoman. She posed so we could take a photo. Everywhere seem fine, cars just coast along, it's a rat race in the UK. We weren't struck on the food, so we made our own meals at the villa, just shopped at Publix.

And two things Americans were fascinated by were, our English accents and Sherlock Holmes. My knowledge of Sherlock Holmes is zero, lol, but we kept getting quizzed about it.

I have no issues with guns at all. I have multiple. I do not shoot them as much as I used to as I hate cleaning them these days

He contradicted him bigly in the first 2 minutes relative to freedom saying the USA is #15 (like to see who sponsored this list) then talked about how almost all countries one does not have the freedom to own guns lol. Another caveat there is a massive difference being single living abroad making a living working remotely vs. having kids in the local public schools, competing in the local job market etc. 99% of these people are nomadic, no ties, no kids. Also having the most people locked up isn't clamping down on freedom if you did the crimes. And mass shooting are not unique to USA, I can post dozens from Mexico.

Do you consider Mexico a peer nation?

The Freedom Index List is made up of a number of indices that countries are analysed/scored against. If you Google Freedom Indices, you can find out which ones America contributed to.

I think America is 15th.

As for guns -

There are 195 countries with a total population of 8 billion

There are 17 countries that ban guns with a total population of 138,734,651

8.7% of countries with 1.73% of the world's population banned guns

There are 5 countries that are classed to have tyrannical governments, only 2 have banned guns

I know, this is funny, some believe Freedom is just based on the Right to Bear Arms, I kid you not.

And if you take many nations, most are gun free zones, as in, you don't carry them in public, just for private property, gun ranges etc..

This guy is a dumbass.
Amanda Rae on YouTube is an American living in the UK. She has many videos on the US and UK. Go see if she's a dumbass too.

Is there any American living abroad on YouTube that you don't find to be a dumbass, or is everyone who doesn't conform to your criteria a dumbass??

Well, kinda had to work out which part of the forum to start this thread.

Basically, the American in this video has been living abroad for 12 years and he covers such areas as Health, Education, Guns, Freedom and so on. Actually, quite a few areas of the "US Discussion" part of the forum.

Not only I found what he had to say interesting, but also the comments. And as I read the comments, I can relate to how these match the posters comments on USMB who are from outside of America.

Now, there's a chance this thread will move from this part of the forum, but I thought it was the most appropriate place.

Would be interesting to hear what you guys think. I know that many will just diss the video without watching it, but I'm sure there should be the odd useful post.

I found his thoughts on Freedom, Health Care, and Education very interesting.

I've been living outside the US for 35 years and mostly disagree with him.

Do you consider Mexico a peer nation?
Of course it is. The 2 peer nations to the USA are Mexico and Brazil. Large populations, all in the Americas. How can anyone compare the USA to white Euro countries anymore? You are a lefty Gator right? You celebrate mass illegal importation of Earth to the USA which almost is zero Euros. The non white populations of Mexico and Brazil are about the same as the USA.

The Freedom Index List is made up of a number of indices that countries are analysed/scored against. If you Google Freedom Indices, you can find out which ones America contributed to.

I think America is 15th.

As for guns -

There are 195 countries with a total population of 8 billion

There are 17 countries that ban guns with a total population of 138,734,651

8.7% of countries with 1.73% of the world's population banned guns

There are 5 countries that are classed to have tyrannical governments, only 2 have banned guns

I know, this is funny, some believe Freedom is just based on the Right to Bear Arms, I kid you not.

And if you take many nations, most are gun free zones, as in, you don't carry them in public, just for private property, gun ranges etc..
Those lists don't mean shit. There is 1 gun store in Mexico, yet a gazillion guns. Brazil used to have tight gun laws, fees, etc., stuff that law abiding people had to follow. The gangs in the favelas have an arsenal of weapons.

Forum List

Back