American Dentist Identified As Killer Of Famed Lion In Zimbabwe

Calm down, guys. It was 100% the fault of his guides.

Dude hunts lions and rhinos with a BOW AND ARROW. That's a bad*ss dude....I'd have a beer with him. Too bad he's being persecuted for the mistake of his guides.

This beautiful creature killed so that this scumbag can feel like a man. This type of stuff makes me sick to my stomach.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55b78e38e4b0a13f9d1a1d0

An American dentist with an affinity for killing rare wildlife using a bow and arrow has been identified as the man who shot and killed Zimbabwe's most famous lion earlier this month, local officials claim.

Dr. Walter Palmer, a dentist working in Bloomington, Minnesota, is said to have paid $55,000 to hunt the 13-year-old lion, named Cecil, according to a report from The Telegraph. The animal was allegedly lured with meat out of Hwange National Park -- a protected area that bans hunting -- into an adjacent hunting zone where he was shot with an arrow. The lion was then followed for 40 hours before he was ultimately killed with a rifle.

The Zimbabwe tourism department also sent out a tweet early Tuesday identifying Palmer as the man who killed Cecil, using the hashtag #illegalhunt.

The fact that this asshole wounded that magnificent animal and caused it to suffer needlessly for 40 hours is abhorrent. I don't mind hunting, it actually helps support the animals against poachers etc. However, if they did indeed bait the lion away from the preserve, this guy needs to be prosecuted and driven into bankruptcy.

You guys need to start waking up. This report again, like the others is another hoax.

The name of the killer is PALMER....One of the renowned features of a lion is the Paws....in human terms, it's the palm, hence Palmer.

Another make believe story courtesy of your friendly MSM.

I wish we could put threads on ignore. I just got my blood pressure down. It ain't any more.

I think his hobby sucks, but not so much that him and his employees should be intimidated. Americans go overseas to do worse things than that.

Yup. pretty much.

Although in this particular case, if a crime was committed, as some are suggesting, the hunter should stand trial, or whatever it is they do down there.

Ok, I'll play along and pretend this story isn't another MSM hoax.

Earlier I posted a link to the book "The Lions of Tsavo". I've read it. Great book.

Here's the thing. Colonel Patterson used a .303 Enfield using the new smokeless powder load for the .303, a 215 grain soft nosed cartridge. Excellent man stopper. Good for medium game too. Superlative cartridge for the time.

It also turned out to be a terrible lion stopper. No better than the spears the Africans use or the bow and arrow "Palmer" used.

Anyone here have any objections to the spears Africans use for hunting lions?

2AE7E38F00000578-3177303-Walter_Palmer_left_from_Minnesota_is_believed_to_have_shot_and_k-a-20_1438092983979.jpg

He looks jewish.

Has the media said the name of the synagogue he attends yet?
Boy, you sure do think about jews a lot.

Earlier I posted a link to the book "The Lions of Tsavo". I've read it. Great book.

Here's the thing. Colonel Patterson used a .303 Enfield using the new smokeless powder load for the .303, a 215 grain soft nosed cartridge. Excellent man stopper. Good for medium game too. Superlative cartridge for the time.

It also turned out to be a terrible lion stopper. No better than the spears the Africans use or the bow and arrow "Palmer" used.

I wouldn't go up against a (wild ) male African lion with anything less then a grenade launcher set for full auto.

People are crying over a frigging smelly wild animal -- meanwhile 2500 PRECIOUS and SACRED human lives were destroyed today in America's abortion mills ...

2500 human babies slaughtered! And you guys are crying over some cat ?

I wouldn't go up against a (wild ) male African lion with anything less then a grenade launcher set for full auto.

Colonel Patterson shot a few other lions other than the two lions that ate 135 railway workers. I think the book said he had to use 16 .303 cartridges on one of them. It was at night though. He probably wasn't able to shoot straight.

16 shots means he had to reload 3-4 times ...IN THE DARK too. With a pissed off lion circling him.

I

Colonel Patterson shot a few other lions other than the two lions that ate 135 railway workers. I think the book said he had to use 16 .303 cartridges on one of them. It was at night though. He probably wasn't able to shoot straight.

16 shots means he had to reload 3-4 times ...IN THE DARK too. With a pissed off lion circling him.

Not me. Not in a million years. I'd be to afraid.

I

Not me. Not in a million years. I'd be to afraid.

There was a movie made about it. The Ghost and the Darkness. W/ Val Kilmer. Good flick.

Although I guessed the right tactic to take against the lions in like the first 5 minutes of the movie. I kept yelling at the screen the whole movie, Don't do THAT...do THIS. lol

And he finally did it in like the last 15-20 minutes of the movie. Killed the lions. Saved the railway. The End.

Minnesota continues producing garbage:
1. A wrestler for a governor.
2. A Muslim Congressman.
3. Walter Palmer.

Jesus Christ people. He paid 55,000 dollars to be able to hunt the darn thing. That money goes towards keeping poaching down and everything else ....you should be thanking this man.

How much money have you spent to protect these animals?

He just spent enough money to protect way more than one lion. I know I will get red from the ignorant people but it's true. Without these big game hunters there is no money to protect from poachers.

Zimbabwe wants more money. They have another lion they think he might be interested in.

This one $65,000, but a good price for a repeat customer with money, $100,000.

Jesus Christ people. He paid 55,000 dollars to be able to hunt the darn thing. That money goes towards keeping poaching down and everything else ....you should be thanking this man.

How much money have you spent to protect these animals?

He just spent enough money to protect way more than one lion. I know I will get red from the ignorant people but it's true. Without these big game hunters there is no money to protect from poachers.

Zimbabwe wants more money. They have another lion they think he might be interested in.

This one $65,000, but a good price for a repeat customer with money, $100,000.

He is an unethical hunter when he makes the animal suffer for that long. And I can guarantee you he didn't track it for 40 hours. That was left to the trackers and maybe a PH. The dentist was snug in his camp sipping gin and tonic and regaling his companions with tales of virility. None of which are true.

Mr Gracie said he read somewhere on the news that the two trackers have been arrested.

There's a massive USA link to the trophy hunting over there in Zimbabwe.

An American and her daughter own a reserve especially for trophy hunting.

The fat cat pals of theirs pay huge bucks to go over and slaughter endangered animals.

They have fbook pages.

Google trophy hunting...you'll find the sites, names, addresses...

It's a massive USA business renting those lands and hauling back 'trophies'.

Legal loopholes are abundant so this can happen and remain 'legal' even if highly immoral in today's endangered society of trophy animals.

Either way trophy hunting when done legally is the only thing keeping these reserves open. In countries where trophy hunting is illegal the populations of these animals are decimated, because no one pays to protect these animals from poachers. So really these guys are way better than any of the PETA people running rampant on this thread.

I know it's counter-intuitive buts it's the truth.

Like I said, I have no problem with ethical trophy hunting. But, if the reports on this particular hunt are true it was far from ethical, and in fact criminal.

The incident is not Palmer’s first brush with authorities.

In 2008, he pleaded guilty in federal court in Wisconsin to misleading a federal agent in connection with the hunting of a black bear. Two years earlier, Palmer had killed a bear near Phillips, in Price County. That location was 40 miles outside of the zone where he held a permit to hunt bear.

Palmer and others transported the bear carcass to a registration station inside the allowed hunting zone, according to court documents, and at the station, he falsely certified that the bear had been killed in the legal zone. Facing a maximum penalty of five years in prison, Palmer was sentenced to one year’s probation and fined nearly $3,000.

In the spring of 2003, Palmer was convicted in Otter Tail County in western Minnesota and paid a small fine for fishing without a license, a misdemeanor.

And in 2009, Palmer agreed to a settlement with the Minnesota Board of Dentistry over allegations that he sexually harassed a receptionist. She alleged that Palmer made comments about her breasts, buttocks and genitalia.

Without admitting guilt, Palmer settled and paid $127,500 to the woman, who also was his patient.

The settlement included references to his bear-hunting conviction and “substandard record keeping.”

Poaching charges

The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe said Tuesday that a local guide and a farm owner are facing poaching charges and that they are expected in court Wednesday.

“Both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt,” the joint statement said. It did not address any legal consequences for Palmer.

Forum List

Back