🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Americans Like To Watch Trash!

Reality shows are very cheap. No matter how few watch them, they can still make money because they cost almost nothing to make.

Reality TV is cheaper to produce, more profitable for the networks. They figured this out when the writers went on strike several years ago. Bottom line only MBAs, stockholders, and marketing majors screw us again.

Play this. It is basically a gritty adult version of Star Wars.

masseffect_04_745x440.jpg

masseffect_03_745x440.jpg

masseffect_03_745x440.jpg

masseffect_01_745x440.jpg

That's why the Gorilla from Wasilla is so poular. It really is like driving past a car accident and not wanting to look but OMG, did you see what she's done now? Except for sarah, I don't watch cartoons and I've never played even one video game. Well, there was that one night when I played Pac Man for about 4 minutes.

Seriously, I agree. Our TV really is a Vast wasteland of reality shows and the WWW. Movies suck. The most popular TV show is nothing but the very same story every single week with lots of bloody whacking of the "walking dead".

Whatever happened to a good story, solid acting and a real plot?
The Americans
Bones
Castle
Chicago Fire
Da Vinci's Demons
Elementary
the Knick
Masters of Sex
Perception
to name a few......

Oh I agree and you named a couple I routinely watch.

But still - most American TV is smelly garbage.

It just is.
you watch the Knick dont you Ludd?....

I throughly enjoyed The Clone Wars. I could care less if it's a cartoon. If its a good story its a good story. Some of my favorite shows are cartoons. Archer and Bob's Burgers is funny as a hell. Avatar, The Last Airbender is brilliant television.

Most of the new shows created now days are crappy reality shows. Why do Americans like to watch stuff like this? Can't we have a serious show for once? I would like a show that involves these serious themes.

-political intrigue
-political corruption
-war
-genocide
-any serious topic

I really liked the Clone Wars. Even for a franchise as big as Star Wars the Clone Wars cartoon was aimed at an older audience. It was on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. There were even episodes that involved political corruption.

Epguide301.png

The country is to PC and sensitive for shows that deal with those type of themes one of the greatest shows of all time in my opinion is All in the Family that show would never make broadcast TV in today's PC enviromnet maybe on HBO or Showtime though.

"Television" and "trash" are inseparable. It's the nature of the medium. A two dimensional box that tells you to "sit down, shut up, and now I'm going to fill your mind with impressions I dictate". This is to make your mind jello so it's nice and vulnerable to watch a commercial to sell you Jello. Trash has always been an integral part of TV and always will be. It's incapable of honesty or deep thought or anything subtle. It's capable of sensual imagery and completely superficial emotionally-based bullshit, and that's it.

Walk into a room where people are watching TV sometime and instead of joining them looking at the screen, watch the watchers. Notice what you see: hypnotized drones sitting back, passive sponges, obediently ingesting whatever the box tells them. Knowing that, the producers of the content will contrive the cheapest, least informative, most emotional bullshit htey can hook you with, because the whole purpose of TV is a propaganda tool to sell you commercials, which in turn are propanganda to incite you to go out and buy shit you don't need (nobody has to tell you what you do need).

tumblr_mhcs7kPGyd1qkml81o1_500.jpg

The description "vast wasteland" was coined in 1961. It's the nature of the beast. It needs to go yesterday.​

You've pretty much just echoed Ray Bradbury's sentiments regarding his thematic intention with the novel Fahrenheit 451. When he was awarded his Pulitzer Prize from Columbia University in 2007, for some strange reason, Columbia wouldn't allow him to address the audience at the ceremony. Probably because Bradbury scoffed at the left's idea of Fahrenheit 451 being a portent of fascist totalitarianism.

"It wasn't", he told a Ventura, California 50th anniversary Fahrenheit 451 reissue book-signing party...where I was in attendance. He told the audience that his intention with the novel was to target the monster called television; the lengths to which humanity's most insidious propaganda organ would go, to ensure that the big screen on the wall was the only source of visceral stimulation for all the gelatinous proles hooked on its aura.

That's what the book burning was all about -television's attempt at absolute control of propaganda dissemination. Biting the hand that fed him? Maybe. But the man wrote more than 500 novels, short stories, screenplays, and television scripts in his long career. He had very little regard for what television had become.

Lefties in the audience were gobsmacked. But let's not get too condescending here. How many of us go through the absolute heebie-jeebies when our ISP is down, when our umbilical connection to the web is cut? Talk about withdrawal.

"Television" and "trash" are inseparable. It's the nature of the medium. A two dimensional box that tells you to "sit down, shut up, and now I'm going to fill your mind with impressions I dictate". This is to make your mind jello so it's nice and vulnerable to watch a commercial to sell you Jello. Trash has always been an integral part of TV and always will be. It's incapable of honesty or deep thought or anything subtle. It's capable of sensual imagery and completely superficial emotionally-based bullshit, and that's it.

Walk into a room where people are watching TV sometime and instead of joining them looking at the screen, watch the watchers. Notice what you see: hypnotized drones sitting back, passive sponges, obediently ingesting whatever the box tells them. Knowing that, the producers of the content will contrive the cheapest, least informative, most emotional bullshit htey can hook you with, because the whole purpose of TV is a propaganda tool to sell you commercials, which in turn are propanganda to incite you to go out and buy shit you don't need (nobody has to tell you what you do need).

The description "vast wasteland" was coined in 1961. It's the nature of the beast. It needs to go yesterday.​

About programming -

- watch a child watch TV. Its scary.

They are big, thirsty sponges and many who gripe about the nanny state let TV do their babysitting.

What's even more eye-opening is meeting and interacting with a child who has never seen television. The difference jumps out at you immediately. You think, "oh so this is what being alive looks like".

If ADHD is a real thing I think I know where it's coming from.

nothing to watch , movies used to be good with SHOGUN , LONESOME DOVE , JEREMIA JOHNSON , [tv shows like] Hill Street Blues , Neuhart , Mary Tyler MOORE ,WKRP IN Cincinatti , Wild Wild West , Waltons and only 3 stations so everyone knew when it was coming on and families got pizza and whatever for the movie at home . History channel was good , I say WAS good because now its terrible with revisionist history and Pawn wars or cooking shows . I probably get 100 channels , watch about 3 news channels and that's it . Do look for movies but even those are terrible . Yep , woe fer me !!!!!!!!!

You've pretty much just echoed Ray Bradbury's sentiments regarding his thematic intention with the novel Fahrenheit 451. When he was awarded his Pulitzer Prize from Columbia University in 2007, for some strange reason, Columbia wouldn't allow him to address the audience at the ceremony. Probably because Bradbury scoffed at the left's idea of Fahrenheit 451 being a portent of fascist totalitarianism.

"It wasn't", he told a Ventura, California 50th anniversary Fahrenheit 451 reissue book-signing party...where I was in attendance. He told the audience that his intention with the novel was to target the monster called television; the lengths to which humanity's most insidious propaganda organ would go, to ensure that the big screen on the wall was the only source of visceral stimulation for all the gelatinous proles hooked on its aura.

That's what the book burning was all about -television's attempt at absolute control of propaganda dissemination. Biting the hand that fed him? Maybe. But the man wrote more than 500 novels, short stories, screenplays, and television scripts in his long career. He had very little regard for what television had become.

Lefties in the audience were gobsmacked. But let's not get too condescending here. How many of us go through the absolute heebie-jeebies when our ISP is down, when our umbilical connection to the web is cut? Talk about withdrawal.

Well now you've piqued my curiousity. I've never seen the book or read the movie.

Our internet dependence cuts deep, point well taken, but I don't quite see them as similar -- on the internet you're still in control and with enough content can go fetch any kind of info you want -- far more unlimited. I really don't find myself melting down at those times, I just make the call to the ISP and then figure, "time to play some music" or something else creative.

The perils of TV, besides sitting you down like a sponge and dictating your senses, is that that shuts off the imagination. That's why radio will always be a superior medium. Watch a movie on TV and all the tiniest details are scripted by somebody else and spoon-fed. Listen to the same piece as a radio drama and your own imagination engages to create what this character looks like, what the room looks like, what the action looks like-- infinitely more creative on both ends. Good mental exercise. Physical too because you're not pinned to one spot -- you can walk around and do other things besides become an indolent wart on the barcalounger.

Not nice to shut off the imagination.

What book burning are you talking about here?

"Television is called a medium because it's so rarely well done" --- Ernie Kovacs

What book burning are you talking about here?

You haven't read Fahrenheit 451? Book-burning is the subplot throughout.

Well now you've piqued my curiousity. I've never seen the book or read the movie.

Our internet dependence cuts deep, point well taken, but I don't quite see them as similar -- on the internet you're still in control and with enough content can go fetch any kind of info you want -- far more unlimited. I really don't find myself melting down at those times, I just make the call to the ISP and then figure, "time to play some music" or something else creative.

The perils of TV, besides sitting you down like a sponge and dictating your senses, is that that shuts off the imagination. That's why radio will always be a superior medium. Watch a movie on TV and all the tiniest details are scripted by somebody else and spoon-fed. Listen to the same piece as a radio drama and your own imagination engages to create what this character looks like, what the room looks like, what the action looks like-- infinitely more creative on both ends. Good mental exercise. Physical too because you're not pinned to one spot -- you can walk around and do other things besides become an indolent wart on the barcalounger.

Not nice to shut off the imagination.

I wonder if you are this contemptuous of stage acting?

nothing to watch , movies used to be good with SHOGUN , LONESOME DOVE , JEREMIA JOHNSON , [tv shows like] Hill Street Blues , Neuhart , Mary Tyler MOORE ,WKRP IN Cincinatti , Wild Wild West , Waltons and only 3 stations so everyone knew when it was coming on and families got pizza and whatever for the movie at home . History channel was good , I say WAS good because now its terrible with revisionist history and Pawn wars or cooking shows . I probably get 100 channels , watch about 3 news channels and that's it . Do look for movies but even those are terrible . Yep , woe fer me !!!!!!!!!

Try Netflix.

Forum List

Back