Animal rights in Christianity

anwin

Jul 27, 2015
India
Hi everyone,

The Abrahamic Religions generally tend to regard animals and all other creatures as mere accessories created as their food and for their convenience. So...vegetarianism and animal rights don;t seem to figure very highly in the list of an orthodox Christian. Jews offer burnt animal flesh as offerings to their God. Muslims practice ritual killing of sheep and goats during Bakrid.

Even Christians don't seem to believe that they should practice vegetarianism. Some Christians I have spoken to seen to regard vegetarianism as rather quaint. Some even regard eating meat as compulsory to Christians.

Any views?

anwin

Hi everyone,

The Abrahamic Religions generally tend to regard animals and all other creatures as mere accessories created as their food and for their convenience. So...vegetarianism and animal rights don;t seem to figure very highly in the list of an orthodox Christian. Jews offer burnt animal flesh as offerings to their God. Muslims practice ritual killing of sheep and goats during Bakrid.

Even Christians don't seem to believe that they should practice vegetarianism. Some Christians I have spoken to seen to regard vegetarianism as rather quaint. Some even regard eating meat as compulsory to Christians.

Any views?

anwin

Jew, when there was a temple, distributed the meat to the poor. Blood, hair and the parts that cannot be eaten by jewish law is the 'burnt' part.

I like the way Mary Daly (former nun) described Christianism -- "the worship of everything that is dead".
There's the old "dominion over the earth" thing too. That sort of black-white dichotomy has been responsible for a ton of damage.

Compulsory -- that's interesting. Never heard that one.

I'm not a veg but I did give up beef and pork a million years ago, partly because it's an inefficient use of land.

When our dog and our cat die, I will be filled with remorse. Later, I'll celebrate their demise knowing the money we'll save by them being dead.

I've lost my grandparents, both my parents, and a brother.

You think I'll give two shits about a dog and a cat? :dunno:

Fuck that "rainbow bridge" bullshit.

When our dog and our cat die, I will be filled with remorse. Later, I'll celebrate their demise knowing the money we'll save by them being dead.

No animals at your house Mr. H?

A dog and a cat. Can't you read? :slap:

"You think I'll give two shits about a dog and a cat?" and celebrating their demise for a little money saved does not specify to me that you actually have a dog and cat. Just sounded too snarky for someone that I used to like to read their postings.

"You think I'll give two shits about a dog and a cat?" and celebrating their demise for a little money saved does not specify to me that you actually have a dog and cat. Just sounded too snarky for someone that I used to like to read their postings.
Git some snark, nark. :slap:

Yeah money is that tight around here.

You must be a White Republican.

You heard God "dominion over the earth" go nuts! You'd think maybe he meant to show a little restraint, but.... No.... Let's put millions in cages they can't turn around in.

Money has been so tight here have not had Internet here since 2009. The well pump froze when the sheriff told the local propane guy he could tank our paid for propane and the tank off of our property shortly after he and his goons raided the place. Everything froze from the well through and into and throughout the house so anyhow no running water since then. We collect water in containers when it rains and bucket water from the well when necessary. I thank the Lord that we have had electricity since we moved back down here in 2008 but I sure have wondered some times if they would not be shutting that off (by the grace of God that was also paid). I could not pay for the medication for my big two pound baby dog after he had a heart attack but again I was graced and the neighbor a mile away who is a vet took care of him anyhow because she knew how much I loved him. He lived four years more than any of his litter mates. People dumped 13 pups nearby and I did not have the money to feed them so I took all the noodles and rice I had in the cupboards and cooked it up for they would not starve. Leash trained them and started finding homes for them at the local grocery parking lot. There I discovered I could get what the meat department threw out each day to feed the animals (fed the dumped starving cats also. Store manager started giving me outdated food so gave it to others that I found that needed the food). I vote for who I believe is the best candidate not by party. We live on very little here now and have day by day since the banksters and other crooks went after us in 2001-2002. My papa used to help when things were really tough with property taxes but he passed away about three years ago (he was a firm Democrat but would also vote for who he thought was the best candidate). White, black, brown, yellow, it really makes no difference as far as I am concerned, it may to others though.

Money has been so tight here have not had Internet here since 2009. The well pump froze when the sheriff told the local propane guy he could tank our paid for propane and the tank off of our property shortly after he and his goons raided the place. Everything froze from the well through and into and throughout the house so anyhow no running water since then. We collect water in containers when it rains and bucket water from the well when necessary. I thank the Lord that we have had electricity since we moved back down here in 2008 but I sure have wondered some times if they would not be shutting that off (by the grace of God that was also paid). I could not pay for the medication for my big two pound baby dog after he had a heart attack but again I was graced and the neighbor a mile away who is a vet took care of him anyhow because she knew how much I loved him. He lived four years more than any of his litter mates. People dumped 13 pups nearby and I did not have the money to feed them so I took all the noodles and rice I had in the cupboards and cooked it up for they would not starve. Leash trained them and started finding homes for them at the local grocery parking lot. There I discovered I could get what the meat department threw out each day to feed the animals (fed the dumped starving cats also. Store manager started giving me outdated food so gave it to others that I found that needed the food). I vote for who I believe is the best candidate not by party. We live on very little here now and have day by day since the banksters and other crooks went after us in 2001-2002. My papa used to help when things were really tough with property taxes but he passed away about three years ago (he was a firm Democrat but would also vote for who he thought was the best candidate). White, black, brown, yellow, it really makes no difference as far as I am concerned, it may to others though.
And when there was no crawdad, you ate sand.

High the memory. :thup:

Hi everyone,

The Abrahamic Religions generally tend to regard animals and all other creatures as mere accessories created as their food and for their convenience.

What's wrong. The problems of today come not from Saint Francis who preached the birds, his sisters and brothers, or who defended the rights of the wolves and tried to find a way how citizens and wolves - civilisation and nature - are able to live together. The problems of a soulless world started with people like Descartes who saw in animals only little machines.

So...vegetarianism and animal rights don;t seem to figure very highly in the list of an orthodox Christian. Jews offer burnt animal flesh as offerings to their God. Muslims practice ritual killing of sheep and goats during Bakrid.

Any views?

anwin

Let me say it this way: If in your idea of the paradise on Earth would live only vegetarians any longer here on this planet, then I'm sure this human beastings would use all their morals, culture, techniques, knowledge and idiocy to abort all lions, tigers, eagles and even the sweet barbaric hetchhoges from this planet.

But let me ask something too, as a kind of critics to this critics from me: Why had Jesus no lamb on pessach but offered himselve instead of the lamb? Do we really know all possible answers yet?

Last edited:
Vegetarians are healthier and generally superior beings compared to dead animal chewers.

Vegetarians are healthier and generally superior beings compared to dead animal chewers.

No - vegetarians are not Nazis. And Hitler was by the way not a vegetarian - he only said so on reasons of propaganda. And why not to make it like god and to become human?

Last edited:

No - vegetarians are not Nazis. And Hitler was by the way not a vegetarian - he only said so on reasons of propaganda. And why not to make it like god and to become human?

Adolf Hitler s Vegetarianism Last Surviving Food Tester Margot Woelk Confirms Meat-Free Lifestyle

Hitler was not a Vegetarian so there was nothing what someone could call "Hitler's Vegetarianism". He was inconsequent. Only because he was interested in Hinduism for example you could also not call him Hindu. And someone is also not able to call Mahatma Ghandi a bad man, because he tried to speak with Hitler.

Last edited:
Since you brought it up........ the Bible commands us to take care of the animals under our care. Its a signs of a righteousness.
..... (see Proverbs 12:10). Even the animal of an enemy was to be treated kindly: “If you come across your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to take it back to him” (Exodus 23:4). One reason God commanded His people to rest one day out of seven was so their animals would be refreshed (see Exodus 23:12).

In fact, the Bible says we must never treat any part of God’s creation with contempt.
When we do, we are indirectly treating our Creator with contempt. Instead, God calls us to be stewards or trustees of His creation, and the Bible reminds us that we are responsible to Him for the way we treat it. When we ignore it we not only hurt God’s creation but we also hurt ourselves.
Nothing but common sense and basic decency, although not always an easy thing to do with fellow humanoids lol

Ftr, there are many people from all faiths and non faiths who are genuine and care for all living things.

Biblically however, God calls us to put Him first in our lives. He loves us, and our greatest calling is to respond to his love by opening our hearts and lives to His Son, Jesus Christ.

I like the way Mary Daly (former nun) described Christianism -- "the worship of everything that is dead".
There's the old "dominion over the earth" thing too. That sort of black-white dichotomy has been responsible for a ton of damage.

Compulsory -- that's interesting. Never heard that one.

I'm not a veg but I did give up beef and pork a million years ago, partly because it's an inefficient use of land.

Ive gone back and forth with not eating certain foods. One thing seems to hold true ...if its man made its probably bad for you. Food that is convenient, mass produced and processed ...yuk.

Since you brought it up........ the Bible commands us to take care of the animals under our care. Its a signs of a righteousness.
..... (see Proverbs 12:10). Even the animal of an enemy was to be treated kindly: “If you come across your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to take it back to him” (Exodus 23:4). One reason God commanded His people to rest one day out of seven was so their animals would be refreshed (see Exodus 23:12).

In fact, the Bible says we must never treat any part of God’s creation with contempt.
When we do, we are indirectly treating our Creator with contempt. Instead, God calls us to be stewards or trustees of His creation, and the Bible reminds us that we are responsible to Him for the way we treat it. When we ignore it we not only hurt God’s creation but we also hurt ourselves.
Nothing but common sense and basic decency, although not always an easy thing to do with fellow humanoids lol

Ftr, there are many people from all faiths and non faiths who are genuine and care for all living things.

Biblically however, God calls us to put Him first in our lives. He loves us, and our greatest calling is to respond to his love by opening our hearts and lives to His Son, Jesus Christ.
You mean His gofer, Jesus Christ.
So what you're saying is that all meat eaters are sinners in the bible's eyes. Got it.

You mean His gofer, Jesus Christ.
So what you're saying is that all meat eaters are sinners in the bible's eyes. Got it.

>>>I personally dont like the thought of hurting or eating any animal...but I do. Veggies & fruits are obviously healthier.

We all are sinners and all sin is equal. Getting to much into rituals and sacrifice takes away from Christ and puts things back on individual works. I guess if its a personal thing one wants to do, its ok..as long as you dont get lost in "one has to do it".
this is the best I could find from what I know and goes along with the warning below. Its not a subject I've heard talked a lot about.

Colossians 2:20-23. people had begun thinking that this self-imposed asceticism could somehow contribute to their salvation and had begun turning away from trusting in Christ. They had more faith in their unchristian works.

Forum List

Back