Another $1,500 on my car

If you enjoy working on your car or cars it's really not any worse than buying that 100k bass boat.
Right, but that would fall into the "money to burn" category. That would mean you find value in doing the hobby. I get that.

I have spent probably $10,000 on remote control vehicles. I will never get a single dime out of it. I just enjoy it.

Shit happens at 100k
Yep. Especially nowadays. And the higher end the vehicle, the worse it is, surprisingly enough. Like, BMWs. They are not made to go 100K+ miles without basically requiring an engine and transmission rebuild. This is a slight exaggeration over the entire sample of their cars, but it is true of far too many of them to ignore.

Search in youtube for mechanics warning people not to buy BMWs. There are literally thousands.

You aren't keeping up with the tech in your home garage. Not happening. Cost and training are prohibitive. It would not be cost or time efficient, unless you are a licensed mechanic with a storefront who is using the equipment all day every day. Otherwise, you are voiding your own warranty and those of everyone else. And probably doing a second rate job at that.

When your vehicle is under warranty, there is no need to do your own repairs.

Well, you just said it.....if the basic is up you can't void your warranty by working on the vehicle.......and there would be no need to repair anything covered under the powertrain warranty.
Yes, true, but get it right. Don't fuck up the belts, etc. Keep your receipts from your oil changes. Etc.

Belts aren't covered under PT.....I let the dealer do my OC's...
Right. Neither are engines, when the pulleys and cranks fail and warp due to fucking it all up. Just get it right. If you want to take that on,more power to you.

20-30 years ago, I took care of my own vehicles. Now I let the manufacturer take care of them. I couldn't do much anymore.

Right. Neither are engines, when the pulleys and cranks fail and warp due to fucking it all up. Just get it right. If you want to take that on,more power to you.

20-30 years ago, I took care of my own vehicles. Now I let the manufacturer take care of them. I couldn't do much anymore.

Most vehicles can go up in the 200,000 mile area these days.

I used to also....too much crap rolling around and such.

If it gets to the point it needs new tires, trade it in on a newby.

Most vehicles can go up in the 200,000 mile area these days.

I used to also....too much crap rolling around and such.

If it gets to the point it needs new tires, trade it in on a newby.
Maybe they can. But they don't. Unless it's highway miles chiefly. How many 20 year old cars on the road today? This number is expected to decrease, too, I think.

It just gets prohibitive to fix them, economically.

If you enjoy working on your car or cars it's really not any worse than buying that 100k bass boat.
It ain’t my fault !!
My dad was a wuss and taught me zero

I got into fighting because I had no idea how to defend myself and I am always alone

Forum List

Back