Another 18 Deaths of Vets in VA, Investigation Ongoing

PHOENIX (AP) — In a new revelation in the growing Veterans Affairs' scandal, the organization's acting head says that an additional 18 veterans whose names were kept off an official electronic VA appointment list have died.
from the article

I shudder to think how many more will be found. I just hope Gibson gets this turned around quickly. At least he appears proactive at this point, even visiting the facilities, as well as with the families.

Veterans Affairs secretary says 18 vets left off waiting list have died » Naples Daily News

In a way, I thank you for this. I have been trying to weed through all news reports, since mid March.

McCain and Saunders are getting involved, I hope they both will take this as a critical issue, and DEMAND answers from all in the VA, including seek tough sanctions against individuals, if found negligent. Neither political party gets a pass with me, nor do Bush OR Obama.

Last edited:
I shudder to think how many more will be found. I just hope Gibson gets this turned around quickly. At least he appears proactive at this point, even visiting the facilities, as well as with the families.

Veterans Affairs secretary says 18 vets left off waiting list have died » Naples Daily News

In a way, I thank you for this. I have been trying to weed through all news reports, since mid March.

McCain and Saunders are getting involved, I hope they both will take this as a critical issue, and DEMAND answers from all in the VA, including seek tough sanctions against individuals, if found negligent. Neither political party gets a pass with me, nor do Bush OR Obama.
Yeah, this needs to stay at the forefront

Granny says, "Dat's right - lock `em up an' throw away the key...
:eusa_clap:
Feds weighing criminal charges related to VA wait-time scandal
June 9, 2014 ~ WASHINGTON — The inspector general of the Department of Veterans Affairs said Monday that potential criminal cases related to the department’s nationwide patient wait-list scandal are being reviewed by federal prosecutors.
The IG is investigating 69 VA facilities for criminal, civil and administrative wrongdoing after revealing late last month that scheduling abuses implemented to mask long wait times for health care are systemic within the veteran health care system, Acting Inspector General Richard Griffin said during a hearing before House lawmakers. Earlier in the day, the scope of the crisis became more apparent when the VA released its own audit showing more than 57,000 veterans have been waiting more than three months for care appointments. The audit blamed a lack of providers and an “overly complicated” scheduling process for the breakdown in timely care at 731 hospitals and clinics nationwide. “I think it comes down to accountability of senior leadership out in these facilities,” Griffin said before the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee. “Once somebody loses their job or is criminally charged, that will be the shot heard around the system.”

The IG has discovered that in many cases, staff would game the system by giving veterans the first available appointment date — up to six months in the future — despite their requests for an earlier visit and then mark the appointment as the desired date, which would then appear in the VA computer system as no wait, Griffin said. Staff also would schedule patients for visits months into the future, then cancel the appointment two weeks before and reschedule for the same date so it appeared to fall within the VA’s goal of 14-day wait times, he said. The IG and Department of Justice are now discussing whether such practices rise to the level of criminal activity, Griffin said. “You have to work your way back up the supervisory chain to find out who put out that order, and that’s what we are having to do,” he said. “Maybe if people do start getting charged, maybe somebody will say, ‘I don’t want to take the fall for somebody farther up the food chain who told me to do this.’”

The VA audit released Monday showed that about 70 percent of the 731 VA facilities reviewed used off-the-books patient waiting lists at least once, and management pressured staff in some cases to manipulate appointments to make waits appear shorter, the audit confirmed. The VA rushed out the audit under pressure from Congress and veteran groups. The findings provide the first detailed look — at least from the department’s own perspective — at patient wait times at individual facilities since allegations in April that up to 40 patients died awaiting care at a Phoenix VA hospital. Philip Matkovsky, assistant deputy veterans affairs under secretary for health for administrative operations, apologized to the public and to veterans during testimony Monday night before House Veterans’ Affairs Committee and said the audit marked a turning point for the department. “We saw this as the opportunity, the opportunity for us to do a reset,” Matkovsky said.

MORE

Granny says, "Dat's right - lock `em up an' throw away the key...
:eusa_clap:
Feds weighing criminal charges related to VA wait-time scandal
June 9, 2014 ~ WASHINGTON — The inspector general of the Department of Veterans Affairs said Monday that potential criminal cases related to the department’s nationwide patient wait-list scandal are being reviewed by federal prosecutors.
The IG is investigating 69 VA facilities for criminal, civil and administrative wrongdoing after revealing late last month that scheduling abuses implemented to mask long wait times for health care are systemic within the veteran health care system, Acting Inspector General Richard Griffin said during a hearing before House lawmakers. Earlier in the day, the scope of the crisis became more apparent when the VA released its own audit showing more than 57,000 veterans have been waiting more than three months for care appointments. The audit blamed a lack of providers and an “overly complicated” scheduling process for the breakdown in timely care at 731 hospitals and clinics nationwide. “I think it comes down to accountability of senior leadership out in these facilities,” Griffin said before the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee. “Once somebody loses their job or is criminally charged, that will be the shot heard around the system.”

The IG has discovered that in many cases, staff would game the system by giving veterans the first available appointment date — up to six months in the future — despite their requests for an earlier visit and then mark the appointment as the desired date, which would then appear in the VA computer system as no wait, Griffin said. Staff also would schedule patients for visits months into the future, then cancel the appointment two weeks before and reschedule for the same date so it appeared to fall within the VA’s goal of 14-day wait times, he said. The IG and Department of Justice are now discussing whether such practices rise to the level of criminal activity, Griffin said. “You have to work your way back up the supervisory chain to find out who put out that order, and that’s what we are having to do,” he said. “Maybe if people do start getting charged, maybe somebody will say, ‘I don’t want to take the fall for somebody farther up the food chain who told me to do this.’”

The VA audit released Monday showed that about 70 percent of the 731 VA facilities reviewed used off-the-books patient waiting lists at least once, and management pressured staff in some cases to manipulate appointments to make waits appear shorter, the audit confirmed. The VA rushed out the audit under pressure from Congress and veteran groups. The findings provide the first detailed look — at least from the department’s own perspective — at patient wait times at individual facilities since allegations in April that up to 40 patients died awaiting care at a Phoenix VA hospital. Philip Matkovsky, assistant deputy veterans affairs under secretary for health for administrative operations, apologized to the public and to veterans during testimony Monday night before House Veterans’ Affairs Committee and said the audit marked a turning point for the department. “We saw this as the opportunity, the opportunity for us to do a reset,” Matkovsky said.

MORE

Thanks for posting this. Good to hear. Hope they do, they were playing with peoples lives here.

Forum List

Back