🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Another blatant Constitutional violation

Thugs?

No.

Security?

Yeah.

If he started chanting a Muslim prayer..I am pretty sure you would have wanted him shot.

Not at all.
ALL religions have rights.

But I can go one better......

To the OP:
If the student was orating on the wonders of homosexuality and abortion would you be so adamantly against his speech?
Those things go against my religion, yet I would not fault the kid for speaking of these issues

Bad analogy. Homosexuality and abortion are not religions.

They go directly opposite from my religious beliefs.
Using your logic, behind the OP, I should have the right to not be offended by someone speaking on the good points of such behavior.

You're still struggling with the "NO LAW", hunh?!

But when I say I have no problem with the student reciting the prayer in the school hallway, you ignore it because it doesn't fit into your rabid rants. Some christians think that having to follow the rules that we all have to follow is persecution of christians. That's bullshit.

If the student chose any other topic, then by you it would be fine, but the second religion is involved as a TOPIC, not a requirement, it becomes taboo.

So some saying they took inspiration from the sunrise for thier academic success could say it, but someone who said they were sucessful due to thier deep personal relationship with God would be censored.

That is infringment on free exercise. That is persecution of those with religous beliefs.

Why, in this case is the lords prayer nothing more than a poem? If he wanted to recite a poem it wouldnt be an issue, but the second religion is involved, even though the government is NOT ENDORSING IT, people get SO SO offended.

More nonsense.

The case law clearly indicates that schools indeed have the right to control student speech in the context of an official school function, such as graduation. The student sustains no First Amendment infringement.

So a student of 18 years old is now controllable by the government, just because someone gets butthurt over a prayer.

Christian fundamentalists and conservatives in general, like to couch the First Amendment's Establishment Clause as being "hostile to religion," while ignoring the First Amendment's Free Exercise Clause because it does not suit their purpose. Enforcement of the Establishment Clause is not being "hostile to religion." You may choose to characterize it as such, but it simply is not. All the Establishment Clause is doing, is preventing YOU from forcing YOUR religious views on me via the public sector. You can come come to my front door all you want and try to tell me I need religion, so long as you are acting in a private capacity. That's not violating anything except my personal space, and there are ways of handling that. Just don't try and use governmental platforms to do it.

A student at commencement, who chooses to inject religion into their talk, is a sticky point. Is he speaking for himself, or the school? Is the school deemed to be "behind" what he is saying? I don't know how this works in actual practice, but I think that most schools will want a preview of any valedictorian talk and will tell the valedictorian that religious references are off base. What happens when the valedictorian goes out on his own and ignores his instructions? I think it at least should let the school off the hook. They can't control a "rogue valedictorian." I think, most of the time, valedictorians will be smart enough to leave religion out of it. They should.

Show me where the studen'ts speech forced you to pay a tithe, or recognize a specific religion as the official US religion, or made you join the church he belonged to. That is ESTABLISHMENT of a national religion. Allowing someone to invoke God during their valerditorian speech, as long as the school did not FORCE the person to do it is in no whay endorsement or establishment of religion, just like allowing people to put a manger in a public space is not endorsement of relgion, or having a cross on public land is not endorsement of religion. Especially if these displays are paid for 100% in private.

Again, the overall goal is the removal of religous expression from the public commons, so basically Atheism becomes the de facto established religion.

Nonsense.

Establishment Clause jurisprudence applies only to government and law/policy making entities, and only when government seeks to conjoin itself with religion in a manner offensive to the Constitution.

Religious expression is allowed in all venues, public and private, provided religion concerning the former is not sanctioned by official government decree. The only goal with regard to First Amendment case law is to keep church and state separate in accordance with the Framers’ original intent.

And as already correctly noted, ‘atheism’ is not ‘religion,’ it’s ignorant idiocy to believe otherwise.

Atheism is most surely a religion, as it is a professed belief in no deity. Agnosticism is closer to "no relgion" as it is not caring if there is a god or not.

Holy fuck, just how stupid are you? No one said he couldn't mention god.

Really? just what do you think the pre-clearance was about?

And by your logic, he shouldnt be able to. What is a prayer except a poem about God?

You're still not getting it. Talking ABOUT religion is OK as I have already said a few times. Leading the audience to PRACTICE it by reciting a prayer with him is not.

So now the people in the crowd have to be gagged, less some atheist gets butthurt over a prayer being said?

Just look at you, denying expression to people all over the place. how fascist.

First, the only position I've stated here is that lack of religious expression does not equal atheism.

Who cares?

Reality exists, regardless of what "position" you take. You can take the position that birds have gills, but it doesn't mean that they do.

Next, I haven't seen any atheistic speech being promoted in place of religious speech in government.

I've not seen any religious speech "promoted" in place of atheist speech. What the Taliban demands is the NO UTTERANCE of a blasphemous nature - promoting a power greater than government - be permitted on sacred government ground.

Forget promoted, this is about a high school student who dared utter a prayer - which brought you of the Taliban out in force.

You simply demand that the implied violence of government be used to silence ideas that run contrary to your own - such is the way of you of the Taliban.

Last, the portion of your post I put in bold states that atheism has been established as the state religion. I find that funny, both because it is obviously not the case, as well as because atheism is not a religion.

You can feel free to show evidence of atheism having been established as the state religion, if you like. You can also feel free to show any evidence that I enforce any type of speech on anyone (excepting the little girl who I nanny :lol:).

Many Christians also claim that theirs is not a religion - that it is the truth and therefor above religion.

I don't care about their silly claims, or yours, reality is independent of ecumenical goals.

I support liberty - you seek to crush liberty - thus we clash.

If the student chose any other topic, then by you it would be fine, but the second religion is involved as a TOPIC, not a requirement, it becomes taboo.

So some saying they took inspiration from the sunrise for thier academic success could say it, but someone who said they were sucessful due to thier deep personal relationship with God would be censored.

That is infringment on free exercise. That is persecution of those with religous beliefs.

Why, in this case is the lords prayer nothing more than a poem? If he wanted to recite a poem it wouldnt be an issue, but the second religion is involved, even though the government is NOT ENDORSING IT, people get SO SO offended.

More nonsense.

The case law clearly indicates that schools indeed have the right to control student speech in the context of an official school function, such as graduation. The student sustains no First Amendment infringement.

So a student of 18 years old is now controllable by the government, just because someone gets butthurt over a prayer.

How would you react if you were a student in a public school and the valedictorian delivered a graduation speech that was devoted to an argument about why there is no God and encouraging everyone in the audience to become atheists?

More nonsense.

How would you react if you were a student in a public school and the valedictorian delivered a graduation speech that was devoted to an argument about why there is no God and encouraging everyone in the audience to become atheists?

I wouldnt care. I havent been to church in years. However by your rules he wouldnt be able to as he is espousing a religion in his speech, although atheists would beg to differ.

We are dealing with valerdictorians here, the best of the best in the high school world, and who are usually of majority (i.e. adults). That we require them to screen thier cumulation of thier pre academic college career is sad actually.

Finally, how is the valerdictorian either saying a prayer, or referencing God as his source of inspiration (both would probably be rejected by the school over fear of atheists being butthurt) the same as active advocation and preaching of atheism, which is what you are talking about. (FYI, I dont care about either, but there is a difference)

The valedictorian at my nieces graduation a couple of years ago gave a speech devoted to the fraud religion of Global Warming. We all survived it.

But, we are not Taliban and have no urge to silence ideas we disagree with.

The valedictorian at my nieces graduation a couple of years ago gave a speech devoted to the fraud religion of Global Warming. We all survived it.

But, we are not Taliban and have no urge to silence ideas we disagree with.

Lol. rep coming in once i can give it to ya again.

You don't quite grasp what an analogy is, do you?

Because Atheism is the established state religion, you view any contrary utterance, such as that which was made by this student, to be blasphemy.

I guess you are as stupid as you appear to be. The absence of religion is not equal to atheism but I doubt that fact will sink into your thick skull very soon because it would take away your reason for foaming at the mouth over nothing.

I'll bite, exactly how does your position vary from the Taliban? Other than the obvious that the Taliban enforces Islam only and you enforce Atheism only speech?

First, the only position I've stated here is that lack of religious expression does not equal atheism.

Next, I haven't seen any atheistic speech being promoted in place of religious speech in government.

Last, the portion of your post I put in bold states that atheism has been established as the state religion. I find that funny, both because it is obviously not the case, as well as because atheism is not a religion.

You can feel free to show evidence of atheism having been established as the state religion, if you like. You can also feel free to show any evidence that I enforce any type of speech on anyone (excepting the little girl who I nanny :lol:).

I just bought a new refrigerator from Sears and God is not mentioned even once in the operating manual so according to Uncensored's "logic", it is an atheist refrigerator. Damn Sears for trying to take God out of everything!!!

I guess you are as stupid as you appear to be. The absence of religion is not equal to atheism but I doubt that fact will sink into your thick skull very soon because it would take away your reason for foaming at the mouth over nothing.

Whimper off bolded boi, you've had your ass handed to you.

You are engaged in a war against civil liberty and seek to silence the views of others - you are simply the American Taliban.

Not at all.
ALL religions have rights.

But I can go one better......

To the OP:
If the student was orating on the wonders of homosexuality and abortion would you be so adamantly against his speech?
Those things go against my religion, yet I would not fault the kid for speaking of these issues

Bad analogy. Homosexuality and abortion are not religions.

They go directly opposite from my religious beliefs.

So what? They are still not religions so your argument fails.

Using your logic, behind the OP, I should have the right to not be offended by someone speaking on the good points of such behavior.

You're still struggling with the "NO LAW", hunh?!

Apparently you are.

Whimper off bolded boi, you've had your ass handed to you.

You are engaged in a war against civil liberty and seek to silence the views of others - you are simply the American Taliban.

I notice you avoided addressing the contradiction I pointed out in your "logic". I'm done with you, Mr. Troll.

I notice you avoided addressing the contradiction I pointed out in your "logic". I'm done with you, Mr. Troll.

The only "logic" you of the Taliban offer is logical fallacy. Yours is a stream of straw man, red herring, and equivalency fallacy. You STILL cannot provide a "right" that is infringed by a student saying a prayer at graduation. I've asked repeatedly for the article and section - or amendment, where this right is listed. You cannot justify your assault on the 1st amendment and fall back to ad hom as your only argument.

The crux of that religion thingy is whether a reasonable person would believe that the state is choosing/mandating one religion over another. Hell if I can recall the case, but there was one a while back which held that if the students choose to pray at their own commencement that is OK, but it is not OK if the faculty or administration makes the decision to pray because they work for the state.

Maybe [MENTION=43021]legaleagle_45[/MENTION] will happen along and jog my memory. I just can't recall which case it was.

Forum List

Back