Another example of the best gov't money can buy, as long as you have plenty of money.

Do you think that laws enacted by states to protect consumers should be abandoned?

That is not the question. Tesla could be registered as a dealer. But Texas requires that they sell thru local franchises or dealerships. That is not protecting the consumer. That is protecting the auto dealers.
It's having a physical presence in the state. If a FFL license holder sells a gun to an out of state consumer, the gun must be picked up at an in state licensed dealer. Why are cars different?

The reason they won't have a physical presence in the state is because the state will not allow them to sell their cars directly.

If this law were not in place, they would have a physical presence in the state.

Do you think that laws enacted by states to protect consumers should be abandoned?

That is not the question. Tesla could be registered as a dealer. But Texas requires that they sell thru local franchises or dealerships. That is not protecting the consumer. That is protecting the auto dealers.
It's having a physical presence in the state. If a FFL license holder sells a gun to an out of state consumer, the gun must be picked up at an in state licensed dealer. Why are cars different?

The reason they won't have a physical presence in the state is because the state will not allow them to sell their cars directly.

If this law were not in place, they would have a physical presence in the state.
They have no presence because they won't open a dealership. Toyota has dealerships in Texas. They sell all the cars they want. Same with Ford and Volkswagon. Why does Tesla refuse? Should they have special treatment because they sell Liberal cars?

They have no presence because they won't open a dealership. Toyota has dealerships in Texas. They sell all the cars they want. Same with Ford and Volkswagon. Why does Tesla refuse? Should they have special treatment because they sell Liberal cars?

Special treatment?? How the hell is allowing a company to sell what they manufacture "special treatment"?

They want to be allowed to do business without undo interference. I thought that was a hallmark of conservative gov't?

Why do you want less gov't interference and less needless regulation except in this situation?

The state of Texas requires that all automobile manufacturers who sell cars in Texas maintain a dealership network in their state.
Toyota does. Ford does. Mercedes does. Cadillac does. Ferrari does. What is so fucking special about Tesla?

Special treatment?? How the hell is allowing a company to sell what they manufacture "special treatment"?

They want to be allowed to do business without undo interference. I thought that was a hallmark of conservative gov't?

Why do you want less gov't interference and less needless regulation except in this situation?
I personally don't like the law but now you can see why people oppose gay marriage.

The state of Texas requires that all automobile manufacturers who sell cars in Texas maintain a dealership network in their state.
Toyota does. Ford does. Mercedes does. Cadillac does. Ferrari does. What is so fucking special about Tesla?

Why does Texas do that? For the consumer? No. They do it because the dealers pay the state legislatures to make it a law.

There is no good reason the state should TELL a business that they cannot sell their own wares, but must use a franchise.

And who do you think pays for the dealership?? The consumer does.

From the viewpoint of Tesla it comes down to how many cars will they be selling and overhead of maintaining a dealership. Makes sense when your selling a car very few can afford. The argument predicated on consumer protection is nothing more than a veiled attempt to extort revenue. As for maintenance and customer care that boils down to Tesla and how they plan to maintain customer base and reputation.

Why does Texas do that? For the consumer? No. They do it because the dealers pay the state legislatures to make it a law.

There is no good reason the state should TELL a business that they cannot sell their own wares, but must use a franchise.

They do it so that Texas residents have in state recourse to force manufacturers to honor warranties and contracts and because they have the right to license businesses that serve the people of Texas.
Of course Libs don't believe states have any rights they don't approve of. Tough shit!

From the viewpoint of Tesla it comes down to how many cars will they be selling and overhead of maintaining a dealership. Makes sense when your selling a car very few can afford. The argument predicated on consumer protection is nothing more than a veiled attempt to extort revenue. As for maintenance and customer care that boils down to Tesla and how they plan to maintain customer base and reputation.
I'm betting that Tesla could sell as many cars in Texas as Lamborghini, yet Lambo maintains discrete dealerships in Houston and Dallas.
and you can order a new Lamborghini in any of at least 15 VW/Audi dealerships.

They do it so that Texas residents have in state recourse to force manufacturers to honor warranties and contracts and because they have the right to license businesses that serve the people of Texas.
Of course Libs don't believe states have any rights they don't approve of. Tough shit!

Oh please. Spare me the "you liberals don't..." nonsense.

Are you saying that a written warranty could not be enforced unless the company has a presence in the state? But you are arguing against a presence in the state.

And the warranty is written by Telsa, not the franchise dealership.

I'm betting that Tesla could sell as many cars in Texas as Lamborghini, yet Lambo maintains discrete dealerships in Houston and Dallas.
and you can order a new Lamborghini in any of at least 15 VW/Audi dealerships.

Lamborghini chooses to do business that way. Tesla wants to be the point of sale and the point of contact for maintenance and repairs. Why is that an issue? Why does Texas, great bastion of conservative business, want the gov't to be able to tell a business who can and cannot sell their product?

Lobby to change the law. Not just for Tesla, but for everyone. Let me sell guns to people in Massachusetts. Let me sell alcohol to people under 21. Let me carry a concealed weapon without a permit.... States have the right to pass laws to protect the interest of their residents. The fact that you don't like the fact that an electric car manufacturer has to abide by the same laws as manufacturers of gas guzzlers is irrelevant.

Lobby to change the law. Not just for Tesla, but for everyone. Let me sell guns to people in Massachusetts. Let me sell alcohol to people under 21. Let me carry a concealed weapon without a permit.... States have the right to pass laws to protect the interest of their residents. The fact that you don't like the fact that an electric car manufacturer has to abide by the same laws as manufacturers of gas guzzlers is irrelevant.

The fact that I think the law is teh goc't ridiculously over-reaching and needlessly interfering is what matters. I have not said anything about changing a law specifically for Tesla. You invented that. You are defending a state gov't placing undo regulations on a business. Perhaps you are more liberal than you thought, since you insist that Texas knows what is best for you and how you should do your car buying. They insist on adding another layer between the manufacturer and you. Somehow you think that is a good thing?

The fact that I think the law is teh goc't ridiculously over-reaching and needlessly interfering is what matters. I have not said anything about changing a law specifically for Tesla. You invented that. You are defending a state gov't placing undo regulations on a business. Perhaps you are more liberal than you thought, since you insist that Texas knows what is best for you and how you should do your car buying. They insist on adding another layer between the manufacturer and you. Somehow you think that is a good thing?
If the government is over reaching re. Tesla, it is over reaching re. laws prohibiting interstate weapons sales, concealed weapons permits, selling alcohol to those under 21 and all sorts of other state laws, many of which you likely agree with. This one, you don't. Tough shit. Let Tesla set up dealership agreements in Texas or work to get the law changed. There will be no more selective enforcement once the current administration is turned out. Get used to it.

Ernie, your posts are getting stupider and stupider. Seriously. I just read back scratching my head to see wtf is going on in your head, and I just found it:

"Liberal cars" ....

Liberal....... cars.
:cuckoo:

Ernie, your posts are getting stupider and stupider. Seriously. I just read back scratching my head to see wtf is going on in your head, and I just found it:

"Liberal cars" ....

Liberal....... cars.
'Getting'?

"Liberal cars" ....

Liberal....... cars.
'Getting'?

Well I did say stupider....

Ernie's usually one of the more lucid thinkers here, even when he's wrong. But this emotional meltdown's a train wreck.

Forum List

Back