Another school shooting....time to arm the teachers?

The much needed discussion on gun-control.

Yes?

They aren't decreasing, their increasing. In both frequency and verocity.

An elementary school...that's a new low.

And BTW, the answer ain't arm everyone...we're not going back to the cowboy days of the wild, wild West.

Gun control is not the answer. I do not mean to impune these atrocities in any way, but sometimes "shit happens". I hope I never live in a world where EVERYTHING can be controlled, the good, the bad or the ugly.

actually that shit happens mostly just in america, cause you dont have gun laws and the rest of the free world does

I would agree with you, but you're wrong.

Countries with the strictest gun-control laws also tended to have the highest homicide rates (Violence, Guns and Drugs: A Cross-Country Analysis, Jeffery A. Miron, Department of Economics, Boston University, University of Chicago Press Journal of Law & Economics, October 2001.)

According to the U.N., as of 2005, Scotland was the most violent country in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be assaulted than in America. Violent crime there has doubled over the last 20 years. 3% of Scots had been victims of assault compared with 1.2% in America. (Scotland tops list of world's most violent countries, The Times, September 19, 2005)

According to "Minutes of Evidence" (Colin Greenwood, Select Committee on Northern Ireland Affairs, January 29, 2003), “... the major surveys completed in the
past 20 years or more provides no evidence of any relationship between the total number of legally held firearms in society and the rate of armed crime. Nor is there a relationship between the severity of controls imposed in various countries or the mass of bureaucracy involved with many control systems with the apparent ease of access to firearms by criminals and terrorists.”

And lastly, many of the countries with the strictest gun control have the highest rates of violent crime. Australia and England, which have virtually banned gun ownership, have the highest rates of robbery, sexual assault, and assault with force of the top 17 industrialized countries. (Criminal Victimization in Seventeen Industrialized Countries, Dutch Ministry of Justice, 2001)

And then there's the pesky little fact that the worst school shooting did not occur in America, but in Russia.

Last edited:
You people need to stop with the hyperbole. Arming teachers is not a solution. Gun control is not a solution either.

An armed teacher could have shot this perp dead after he shot his first few victims. Lives could have been saved. That is part of a solution.

Because your average teacher is so confident with a handgun...?? FUCK are you stupid.

Just shut your stupid pie hole, you dumb old fuck.

18 children were killed because of idiots like you.

Not sure if this is all factual but:

It is being reported the now dead gunman is in his 20s, was buzzed in, was wearing camo pants and was heard arguing with someone before he started walking from classroom to classroom shooting. Reports are an entire kindergarten class was gunned down.

24 and a parent, had a vest on as well.

Uh, a trained person shooting back would either wound, kill or scare off the shooter before the police get there some 10-30 minutes later.

Someone having no threat against them while the police drive to the scene gets to kill as many people they want until they run out of bullets.

You people need to stop with the hyperbole. Arming teachers is not a solution. Gun control is not a solution either.

No.

By your logic, we'll have to discuss outlawing a lot of things...

Cause of death, Count, % of children

Motor vehicle 4,550 46.2%
Drowning 2,102 17.4%
Fire/burn 482 10.6%
Suffocation 250 5.5%
Pedestrian, Other 145 3.2%
Other Land Transport 144 3.2%
Fall 98 2.2%
Poisoning 81 1.8%
Natural/ Environment 73 1.6%
Firearm 72 1.6%
Other Transport 68 1.5%
Struck by or Against 67 1.5%
Other Spec., classifiable 62 1.1%

Center for Disease Control, 2001, All Races, Both Sexes, Ages: 1-14

If motor vehicles are a leading cause of death, maybe we should pass laws requiring licensing, making cars safer, banning people from driving, making roads safer....Wait, we are already doing that

But try to make gun violence less likely and you are not a real American

If you make it so anyone not a felon or a mental case (proven
0 can walk into a DMV after the age of 18 and get a gun liscence, and be able to carry one on the street I would be all for it.
there are laws on the book which can revoke or suspend drivers licenses for many reasons. they vary by state since states issue license.

this is for GA

- Homicide by vehicle.
- Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used.
- Using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude an officer.
- Fraudulent application for a license or fictitious use of a license.
- Hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident.
- Racing.
- Operating a motor vehicle with a revoked, canceled, or suspended registration.
- Felony forgery relating to an Identification document.

- Refusal to take a chemical test in conjunction with an arrest for DUI.
- Conviction for driving without insurance.
-- If convicted for driving while license is suspended, the customer's driver's license will be further suspended for six months.
- Failure to appear in court or respond to a traffic citation, your license may be suspended indefinitely.
- Any violation of the Georgia Control Substance Act.
- DDS is authorized to suspend your license if its records or other evidence shows that you have accumulated 15 - points within 24 months under the point system, including violations committed out of state. Select for information on Points and Points Reduction.
- A conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

are you saying we should have similar laws for guns?

And yet so few of them are misused, explain that. A child is more likely to be beaten to death by a caretaker or be killed by a plastic bag or bedding, than a person with a gun.

That is comforting

There RW goes again. See how he ignores what you asked him?

"And yet so few of them are misused, explain that."

This is what he did all day yesterday on this thread:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/267428-watching-boehner-news-conference-now.html#post6489934

Thanks for doing it yet again...twice today alone. :clap2:

rightwinger = ZERO credibility.
is gun violence against children and more or less severe than gun violence against adults?

Who gives a shit?

This is America. If you want a handgun, shotgun or AK-47 to shoot your way to glory you are welcome to it

We almost have a gun for every man, woman and child in America.....why are we surprised when they are used?

And yet so few of them are misused, explain that. A child is more likely to be beaten to death by a caretaker or be killed by a plastic bag or bedding, than a person with a gun.

That is comforting

Got to have a little perspective. Facts are what they are.

It is being reported the now dead gunman is in his 20s, was buzzed in, was wearing camo pants and was heard arguing with someone before he started walking from classroom to classroom shooting. Reports are an entire kindergarten class was gunned down.

What a sad tragedy...

I hate to jump to conclusions, but I wonder if this guy was a gamer (played those violent shooting games).
I have never liked those games..

Just a thought.

My prayers go out to the people involved. That goes out to police and medical personnel as well.
That has got to be the toughest crime scene to work.
I couldn't do it.

The much needed discussion on gun-control.

Yes?

They aren't decreasing, their increasing. In both frequency and verocity.

An elementary school...that's a new low.

And BTW, the answer ain't arm everyone...we're not going back to the cowboy days of the wild, wild West.

We will all shudder and say how bad it is.

But we are not even allowed to discuss gun violence in this country. It almost cost Bob Costas his job for even mentioning it. We have accepted unrestricted access to guns in this country. There are 270 million in circulation

We will just accept this shooting like we accept all others and wait till the next one

Then we will just shrug our shoulders again

Unrestricted access? Lie much? There are THOUSANDS of laws on the books detailing who can and can not buy firearms, to include waiting periods and restrictions. As well as laws on what punishment will be meted out for those that use them. All more laws do is restricted law abiding citizens from their rights as protected by the second amendment.

It's comforting to know that the answer to these sorts of disasters are posted here on the Internet so soon after they occur.

I hope your business fails. Soon.

Why are you such a bitch? Such hate in your life. Must suck to be so despicable

You politicized a tragedy, you're a sick fuck.

I haven't politicized anything you twit. My thread is the same as Marcs. Its an open discussion of current events. And my wish for Obama to visit was earnest. They need to know the nation is with them and his presence would achieve that.

Meanwhile YOU continue to be a hateful spineless bitch.

Reports are that they have found a dead body in the home of the shooter's mother in Newtown. They have his name but are not reporting it yet.

24 and a parent, had a vest on as well.

Wonder if an armed officer could have even taken him out, much less a kindergarten teacher.

This is getting more horrible by the minute.

I tried to get thru an entire news report w/o tearing up & can't do it.

This sucks!

when weed eater attacks because one of the leading causes of violence in the nation we can have that discussion.

By your logic, we'll have to discuss outlawing a lot of things...

Cause of death, Count, % of children

Drowning 2,102 17.4%
Fire/burn 482 10.6%
Suffocation 250 5.5%
Pedestrian, Other 145 3.2%
Other Land Transport 144 3.2%
Fall 98 2.2%
Poisoning 81 1.8%
Natural/ Environment 73 1.6%
Firearm 72 1.6%
Other Transport 68 1.5%
Struck by or Against 67 1.5%
Other Spec., classifiable 62 1.1%

Center for Disease Control, 2001, All Races, Both Sexes, Ages: 1-14

If motor vehicles are a leading cause of death, maybe we should pass laws requiring licensing, making cars safer, banning people from driving, making roads safer....Wait, we are already doing that

But try to make gun violence less likely and you are not a real American

Not at all true. We require background checks, a waiting period, an age requirement, registration, certain weapons are illegal or require jumping through hoops just to get.

We have controls in place.

Tragedies like this are hard to bear. The thought of losing young kids to a madman is so vile and shocking that no one can really wrap their mind around it.

From what I gather this is a domestic possibly a child custody dispute that has gone horribly wrong.

Our forefathers knew that tragedies could occur from time to time involving guns. The second amendment is number two right behind free speach and freedom of the press because they felt so strongly about it.

This is clearly the worst massacre of this nature. There will be others sometime down the line. It is one of the terrible costs of citizens having weapons. Those of us that believe in the 2nd amendment are grieving no less than those that oppose it.

You of faith should just pray for the souls of the lost and wounded and I will continue my faith in the constitution of this country.

What a sad tragedy...

I hate to jump to conclusions, but I wonder if this guy was a gamer (played those violent shooting games).
I have never liked those games..

Just a thought.

My prayers go out to the people involved. That goes out to police and medical personnel as well.
That has got to be the toughest crime scene to work.
I couldn't do it.

For those who are reading this and believe in the power of prayer please pray for these children, the adults and all those working this horror.

The trauma, both physical and emotional, will affect these people for years to come.

These are such very little children. I have tears in my eyes. This is not suppose to happen to our children.

Forum List

Back