Another school shooting....time to arm the teachers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqbv-aqoao&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I say yes. Of course proper precautions should be taken but lets allow administration officials to protect the children and themselves.

I hate to say this, but there are teachers out there that I think are the last people in the world that should have guns around children. I think most teachers would be more than capable of having a gun in the room and nothing ever happening, but do you want to risk that your grandchild's teacher is not the one that "snaps" next?

Kids can be pretty hard on teachers and push them to the limit and you want to put a gun in their reach at the crucial moment? If you ask me, you need to think that through more.

Immie

kids might be more respectful to a teacher that has an open carry :D

There is that! :D

However, I was no terror, but I was no angel either. I don't think as a kid, I would have even considered that as a problem. Remember, kids think that they are immortal. Also, I don't think we were talking about open carry... like that would ever pass!

Immie

Last edited:
Another school shooting. Time to arm the teachers?

No, it’s time not to grasp for idiotic ‘solutions.’

Seriously.

We have another tragedy due to guns.

Right wing solution? We need more guns.

Astounding.

We have over 16$ TRILLION in debt.

Left wing solution? We need to spend more.

Astounding.

On the other hand, the only way to stop a lunatic/criminal illegally using a firearm is with ...wait for it...another firearm! Not so astounding, just logical.

Of course, we could take the UK or Australian route and confiscate civilian firearms but unfortunately, that only caused violent and gun crime to skyrocket.

So, what's your solution?

I tell you, if I owned a shopping mall or movie theater, the FIRST thing I would do is hired armed security guards. The SECOND thing I would do is put up signs saying, "Gun owners are welcome to carry in this establishment". Hell, I might offer discounts for customers with a firearm and a valid license for it.

Yep. Chicago has some of the most strict gun control laws in the country, but has one of the most violent record re gun crimes. So they are in the process of letting citizens lawfully carry. Will it make a difference? If the gun control advocates are not successful in reversing the new law, it will be really interesting to watch. Is the new law being so hotly contested because some fear it WILL significantly reduce gun crime?

Police say about 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 3, a man walked into Modern Nails at 2645 E. Second St. and asked a female employee if she wanted to buy some diamonds. The man walked toward the front desk area and the woman replied that she had no money to buy diamonds.
A witness said the man then reached into his coat pocket and began to take out a silver-colored pistol.

At that moment, a woman who was getting her nails done reached into her purse and got her own firearm. Police say the man never fully raised the gun and left the building after seeing the customer had her weapon out.
Casper Police: Nail salon customer packs heat, gunman leaves

Conversely, you have to hunt long and hard to find an instance of gun crime committed by anybody packing a visible weapon—legal in New Mexico for instance though few do—or anybody packing a legally licensed concealed weapon.

But does anybody believe that 20 kindergarteners and 7 staff would be dead today at the Sandy Hook school if a half dozen or so teachers had weapons and were trained in how and when to use them?

Yeah, crossfire would've made the situation much better.

Twenty-seven people are dead, most of them children. You're going to have to explain to me how you think the situation was improved by everyone in the school being unarmed.

"The kids are dead, but by God, at least they were all killed by the lunatic gunman!"

He was misusing logical analogy as you are misdefining what it is.

:badgrin: By me saying I think it's dumb to have guns in the classroom you think I want the military to be disarmed? And then you say I have idiotic logic. Why don't you let the adults handle this conversation.
He was making an analogy not being literal, you meathead.
No, I'm reading the analogy exactly right....And it's spot on.

I hate to say this, but there are teachers out there that I think are the last people in the world that should have guns around children. I think most teachers would be more than capable of having a gun in the room and nothing ever happening, but do you want to risk that your grandchild's teacher is not the one that "snaps" next?

Kids can be pretty hard on teachers and push them to the limit and you want to put a gun in their reach at the crucial moment? If you ask me, you need to think that through more.

Immie

Police officers receive extensive background checks and psychological evaluation before they are issued a firearm. There would be no problem with doing the same with any teachers who volunteered to be armed while on duty.

The firearms should be safely secured so that the teacher can get to them quickly but the students cannot. Any teacher who took a secured firearm out of its hiding place for any reason other than such an emergency as happened yesterday would of course be subject to immediately firing.

So to address your concern, there is no reason to think teachers are likely to be any more mentally unbalanced that professional security people. And I would think the risk to my child would be much less with a weapon in the hands of his/her teacher than it would be with a crazed gunman loose in the school and no means of stopping him.

Many, if not most people, who have guns are trained on how to use them and how to treat them safely. Would it surprise you to find out that Adam Lanza was trained in how to use them safely? It would not surprise me at all. From what I have heard, people who knew him are shocked that he would have done this. He simply snapped!

As to whether or not teachers would be anymore mentally unbalanced than professional security people, does it matter? You don't think professional security people can simply snap?

And as to the final bit about your child being safer with a teacher than a crazed gunman... well, first the chances of the teacher actually being able to stop him... remember, the guns are locked up and in this case I understand it was two classes in one room... how do you expect the teacher to get to the "gun cabinet", unlock the cabinet, prepare the weapon to fire (especially since the chances are very great that they would be required to keep the ammunition in a separate location) and shoot the assailant before he kills all the students and the teacher? Follow that up with the fact that a gun in the "home" school in this case, is more likely to hurt or kill a loved one than an intruder and I think you are opening up the floodgates to disaster rather than protecting the children.

Immie

So you devise a system that keeps the weapon away from the kids but the teacher can get to and utilize quickly. It wouldn't be rocket science. I can't believe that American technology is so rusty they couldn't figure out how to do it. But yesterday, I can't imagine any of us would not have wholeheartedly supported any teacher who managed to gun down the gunman before he murdered all those kids.

Police officers receive extensive background checks and psychological evaluation before they are issued a firearm. There would be no problem with doing the same with any teachers who volunteered to be armed while on duty.

The firearms should be safely secured so that the teacher can get to them quickly but the students cannot. Any teacher who took a secured firearm out of its hiding place for any reason other than such an emergency as happened yesterday would of course be subject to immediately firing.

So to address your concern, there is no reason to think teachers are likely to be any more mentally unbalanced that professional security people. And I would think the risk to my child would be much less with a weapon in the hands of his/her teacher than it would be with a crazed gunman loose in the school and no means of stopping him.

Many, if not most people, who have guns are trained on how to use them and how to treat them safely. Would it surprise you to find out that Adam Lanza was trained in how to use them safely? It would not surprise me at all. From what I have heard, people who knew him are shocked that he would have done this. He simply snapped!

As to whether or not teachers would be anymore mentally unbalanced than professional security people, does it matter? You don't think professional security people can simply snap?

And as to the final bit about your child being safer with a teacher than a crazed gunman... well, first the chances of the teacher actually being able to stop him... remember, the guns are locked up and in this case I understand it was two classes in one room... how do you expect the teacher to get to the "gun cabinet", unlock the cabinet, prepare the weapon to fire (especially since the chances are very great that they would be required to keep the ammunition in a separate location) and shoot the assailant before he kills all the students and the teacher? Follow that up with the fact that a gun in the "home" school in this case, is more likely to hurt or kill a loved one than an intruder and I think you are opening up the floodgates to disaster rather than protecting the children.

Immie

So you devise a system that keeps the weapon away from the kids but the teacher can get to and utilize quickly. It wouldn't be rocket science. I can't believe that American technology is so rusty they couldn't figure out how to do it.

Three words... "Child Proof Caps", or is it two words "Child-proof caps"? Kids can open most easier than adults! :)

Immie

I tell you, if I owned a shopping mall or movie theater, the FIRST thing I would do is hired armed security guards. The SECOND thing I would do is put up signs saying, "Gun owners are welcome to carry in this establishment". Hell, I might offer discounts for customers with a firearm and a valid license for it.

Yep. Chicago has some of the most strict gun control laws in the country, but has one of the most violent record re gun crimes. So they are in the process of letting citizens lawfully carry. Will it make a difference? If the gun control advocates are not successful in reversing the new law, it will be really interesting to watch. Is the new law being so hotly contested because some fear it WILL significantly reduce gun crime?

Police say about 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 3, a man walked into Modern Nails at 2645 E. Second St. and asked a female employee if she wanted to buy some diamonds. The man walked toward the front desk area and the woman replied that she had no money to buy diamonds.
A witness said the man then reached into his coat pocket and began to take out a silver-colored pistol.

At that moment, a woman who was getting her nails done reached into her purse and got her own firearm. Police say the man never fully raised the gun and left the building after seeing the customer had her weapon out.
Casper Police: Nail salon customer packs heat, gunman leaves

Conversely, you have to hunt long and hard to find an instance of gun crime committed by anybody packing a visible weapon—legal in New Mexico for instance though few do—or anybody packing a legally licensed concealed weapon.

But does anybody believe that 20 kindergarteners and 7 staff would be dead today at the Sandy Hook school if a half dozen or so teachers had weapons and were trained in how and when to use them?
If they would have had a few plain clothes officers or deputized volunteers with concealed carry permits, it may have stopped this cat when he shot the glass out and entered into the principles office, otherwise never to get beyond that point before hopefully being wounded badly enough, that he could have been taken into custody alive afterwards.

More importantly, HE WOULD HAVE KNOWN that there were armed people in the school, and he'd have gone to play out the last violent, bloody scene of his life somewhere else.

And yes, I would prefer that he hadn't shot up any place at all, but since that apparently wasn't an option, I would at least like to take schools off that list of "Possible Places to Shoot People" that violent crazies all seem to have.

Immie

So you devise a system that keeps the weapon away from the kids but the teacher can get to and utilize quickly. It wouldn't be rocket science. I can't believe that American technology is so rusty they couldn't figure out how to do it. But yesterday, I can't imagine any of us would not have wholeheartedly supported any teacher who managed to gun down the gunman before he murdered all those kids.

Sure, that teacher would have been a hero, but then chances are good that the teacher in question would never have accomplished the heroic deeds you speak of without getting him/herself killed and maybe others.

I don't see your scenario as having a snowball's chance in Hell of happening. The guy didn't walk up to the room, knock on the door, say, "excuse me, I am stepping out and in 35 seconds I will return and kill all the children and teachers in the room". Unfortunately, I suspect those poor children were dead before one of the teachers could even have made it to her desk let alone find her keys to unlock the drawer in which the gun would have been stored.

Immie

Whatever.

Your "point" was pointless, as any kind of crossfire would likely have ended in far fewer deaths than the slaughter that in fact occurred.

And just as easily some retard who fancies himself as Rambo could've added to the body count through crossfire and stupidity. Also that same idiot could ice a kid through an accidental discharge just having the gun in the classroom. Your crystal ball isn't the only one in the world.

You will excuse me, I hope, if I am less afraid of some hypothetical teacher "who thinks he's Rambo adding to the body count" than I am of the very NOT-hypothetical crazy gunman shooting up a school because he knows everyone there is unarmed and helpless. I'm not interested in what ANYONE'S crystal ball is throwing up about what MIGHT happen. I'm concerned about what actually DID happen, and keeps happening.

Actually, I don't give a fart in a wind tunnel whether you excuse me or not, because you're an ass clown who's more interested in his kneejerk hatred of guns than he is in practical solutions for school safety.

And no, disarming all of America is NOT a practical solution.

Do you honestly think a possible stray bullet aimed at the murderer would in any way be worse than 20 little kids and 7 of their teachers/administrators gunned down in cold blood?

Yes, he does. He thinks the most important thing we need to protect against is some imaginary "teacher who thinks he's Rambo", rather than the very REAL crazed gunmen who keep shooting up our schools.

Do you honestly think a possible stray bullet aimed at the murderer would in any way be worse than 20 little kids and 7 of their teachers/administrators gunned down in cold blood?

That stray bullet could've resulted in 21 little kids and 7 of their teachers/administrators gunned down in cold blood.

Of course, there's no way to know whether or not there would have even BEEN a "stray bullet". We DO know, however, that there actually WERE twenty-seven bullets that no one was able to stop because ass clowns like you are too busy "protecting" against hypothetical stray bullets.

By your logic, the police should never be allowed to use THEIR guns to stop crazed gunmen, either, because someone MIGHT be hit by a "stray bullet" in the "crossfire". What really matters is preventing the deadly crossfire!

Immie

Foxy

the technology is already there.

The firearm is kept unloaded with the speed loader or magazine in a different pocket.

There are also thumb break holsters that make gun snatching much more difficult.

Imaginine a kid snatching an unloaded gun and trying to fire it ! :D:D

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but do you think there'd be less people applying for teaching positions if applicants knew they'd be required to have a gun in the classroom or be required to attend firearms training as part of their formal training?

Forgive me if I wasn't privy to whatever stupid conversation you had prior to posting, but who ever said ANYTHING about requiring all teachers to carry guns or undergo firearms training?

False analogy. The military accepts friendly fire as a real event and trains for it. Over and over. Civilians don't do that.

Wrong. Some do and there is no reason others can't. Firearms can and should begin in school

Immie

Sure, that teacher would have been a hero, but then chances are good that the teacher in question would never have accomplished the heroic deeds you speak of without getting him/herself killed and maybe others.

I don't see your scenario as having a snowball's chance in Hell of happening. The guy didn't walk up to the room, knock on the door, say, "excuse me, I am stepping out and in 35 seconds I will return and kill all the children and teachers in the room". Unfortunately, I suspect those poor children were dead before one of the teachers could even have made it to her desk let alone find her keys to unlock the drawer in which the gun would have been stored.

Immie

According to the initial reports, this gunman emptied his magazine, stopped, RELOADED, and resumed shooting. Do you honestly think he would have accomplished all those murders if others in the school had been armed? Sure the gunman could have taken out the first teacher and then started on the kids. In fact that is probably the way it happened. But I guarantee you he wouldn't have killed them all in that classroom or done any damage anywhere else if teachers and administrators had been armed. And the teacher in that classroom would have been ready and waiting after he heard the initial shots in the administrative offices.

I appreciate your concerns Immie, but I'll take my chances with the teacher any day of the week before I'll take my chances that a crazed gunman intent on murder will show any compassion of any kind.

I say yes. Of course proper precautions should be taken but lets allow administration officials to protect the children and themselves.

Okay folks, on top of your duties of educating these children so they can develop skills needed to usher them into life as an adult, you are also a security guard tasked with facing off against armed assailants.

In case you missed it, you unspeakably vile piece of subhuman garbage, teachers are ALREADY being tasked with facing off against armed assailants. And they're currently being asked to do it with no weapons of their own.

Why don't you try asking the teachers at Sandy Hook whether they would have preferred to be armed? You know, the ones who lived through it.

I usually agree with you Grampa but not in this case. Protection of the children in the schools should be the only thing we are talking about today, but it should be done by specially trained law enforcement professionals and there should be at least 2 in each school. It should be federally funded and start Monday morning. The whole program could have been funded just from the waste of 1/2 a billion dollars on Solyndra.

Where do you suppose we're going to come up with "specially-trained law enforcement professionals" in those numbers in that short an amount of time? And why is it that you think only "law enforcement professionals" can be "specially trained"? You talk about them as though you think they aren't regular people, drawn from the regular population . . . just like teachers are. Why can't we just give teachers training in gun safety and handling firearms? They're already IN the schools, in large numbers.

Immie

Truth. Why not hire teachers with concealed carry training and permits. Even if they were all required to have them it is unlikely more than a few would do so on any given day.
As has been said-it's not recket science and if a teacher is too dumb to learn how to handle and use a firearm safely he/she is too dumb to be teaching my kids anyway. Or driving a car for that matter.

Immie

Seems to me that if I can't trust a teacher with a gun, I shouldn't be trusting him or her with my child.

If you ask me, you need some therapy for this pathological belief that all people are one stress headache away from becoming mass murderers.

Immie

kids might be more respectful to a teacher that has an open carry :D

There is that! :D

However, I was no terror, but I was no angel either. I don't think as a kid, I would have even considered that as a problem. Remember, kids think that they are immortal. Also, I don't think we were talking about open carry... like that would ever pass!

Immie

Given that teachers manage not to "snap" and slap the shit out of annoying kids, I don't think they're any more likely to "snap" and shoot them.

But then, I don't go through life with the belief that everyone around me is a ticking time bomb I have to be terrified of, either.

Forum List

Back