Anthony Johnson - The Father of US Slavery

However you were dead wrong because Hugh Gwyn is the person who legally first owned a slave you dumbass. :lol:
Hugh Gwynn was not.
The first slave owners were African.

Not in the British colonies. And, yes, you wrote the legal precedent for slavery of African Americans was started by a African immigrant to the US against another African immigrant who was supposed to be an indentured servant, but got a court order that turned him into a slave. The precedent had already been set.

Don't lie, you get caught.
I wrote nothing about blacks owning slaves in the Americas.
I wrote that if blacks find slavery so terrible, why did they invent it?
Slavery was and still is an African concept.
Why liberals always ignore this is amusing.
Slavery is a good thing except when the slaves are black?

Show me where I wrote that, you vile lying scumbag ?

Hugh Gwynn was not.

Not in the British colonies. And, yes, you wrote the legal precedent for slavery of African Americans was started by a African immigrant to the US against another African immigrant who was supposed to be an indentured servant, but got a court order that turned him into a slave. The precedent had already been set.

:lol: :lol:

The Sumerians were the first civilization and they had slaves....were they black?

Lonestar_Logic and ghook: you don't get "just once more" with your debunked nonsense.

Colonia and American slavery was overwhelming perpetrated by whites.

Whites were the first slave owners in the British colonies, including those in Canada and Bahamas and Barbadoes.

A few non-whites over the centuries owned some slaves in the colonies and America.

The Civil War was caused by the slave owners' desire to continue buying ad selling and owning humans.

I know what libs will combat this with. They won't care that the story quoted the actual case that set the legal precedent. They will instead attack WND as racist (doesn't matter a black man wrote the article.

I digress. The father of US slavery was Anthony Johnson a black land owner in the New world in the 1600s. Back then most of the poor settlers (mostly white, but some black) came over as indentured servants. Indentured servants were like slaves, but not quite slaves. Back then indentured servatude was legal, but slavery was not.

Anthony Johnson acquired another black man by the name of John Carson as an indentured servant. Carson term of servitude was up and he wanted his land and freedom, so Johnson took him to court stating he was acquired as a slave not an indentured servant. The court sided with Johnson and the first slave (of any race) was created in the US. This court ruling was used as a means to bring other slaves to the US and the US slave trade was born.

One needs to stop and think for a minute. What if this black man didn't bring this case? Would we have had slavery in the US? Maybe not. We might have kept up the indentured servitude system. In fact, the peasants of any society are always against slavery. First, slaves take jobs they would have worked (since they do not cost any wages and they can be beaten into working harder) and second, they never benefit from their work, because they are too expensive to own.

Father of U.S. slavery was a black man
The Virginia Company, however, changed the rules. They would now allow anyone to pay a person’s transportation to the colony in exchange for a period of indentured servitude, subject to certain caveats. Under the new rules, knowledge of a skill of any kind was not included in this contract and whoever paid the cost of passage would receive the 50 acres of land for each passage purchased. Indentured servants would now get nothing but a trip and often found themselves without rights or freedom. As one white indentured servant, Thomas Best, wrote from Virginia in 1623, “My master Atkins hath sold me for 150 pounds sterling like a damned slave.”

Indentured servants, especially whites, could (and often did) slip away, become part of another settlement and simply disappear. A permanent, economically beneficial solution for the elites was sought and implemented.

Note: The Bible points out a common failing and path to social injustice: “The love of money is the root of all evil.” Nothing against money per se, but the love of same precipitates activities that generate misery; not a high endorsement for a concept it is supposed to propagate and undergird. (As an aside, the overwhelming majority thinks the Bible is a religious book designed to promote religion. In actuality, there are seven references to religious/religion in the Bible, and six of them are negative.)

Here, history takes a bizarre turn. When I came upon this one particularly astonishing bit of information, I was flabbergasted.

Part of the problem with facts is they can cause discomfort when they do not conform to our preconceived notions. Not once had I ever heard so much as a whisper of this, and it flew in the face of everything I knew – everybody knew – about the origins of slavery in the English colonies. Talk about political incorrectness!

Remember the aforementioned Anthony Johnson? He raised livestock, prospered and as was customary with prosperous landowners, indenturing one black and several white servants. Johnson had sued in court and won several cases, but one case in particular would set the stage for a dramatic shift in the workforce. There are several reports as to the origin of this landmark case, which would indelibly change the American cultural landscape and impact relationships between blacks and whites for centuries.

One report says John Casor, a black indentured servant, “swindled” Johnson out of the remainder of his servitude. Another says the family convinced Johnson to free Casor. Still another says Casor “convinced” a white neighbor, Robert Parker, that he was being illegally detained. Whatever the reason, Johnson was not satisfied with the status quo and took Casor and Parker to court, alleging that Casor had not been obtained as a servant, but as a slave.

Understand the true significance of this case. Johnson was not suing to have John Casor fulfill some measure of a debt of servitude. Instead, he insisted the court grant his petition that “he had ye Negro for his life.” He was claiming the services of John Casor for the remainder of Casor’s natural life. To my knowledge, there is no earlier record of judicial support given to slavery in Virginia except as a punishment for crime. Anthony Johnson was asking the court to award him John Casor (who had committed no crime) as a slave.

Parker and one other influential landowner, both white, sided with Casor. However, the court ruled for Johnson. In the original language taken from the original documents is the decision of the county court:

“Court of Northampton; Eight Mar, Anno1654:
Whereas complaint was this daye made to ye court by ye humble peticion of Anth. Johnson Negro ag[ains]t Mr. Robert Parker…”

I needed to read it slowly and in modern English:

“Whereas complaint was this day made to the court by the humble petition of Anthony Johnson, Negro, against Mr. Robert Parker that he detains one John Casor, a Negro, the plaintiff’s servant under pretense that the said John Casor is a freeman. The court seriously considering and maturely weighing the premises do find that the said Mr. Robert Parker most unrightly keeps the said Negro John Casor from his rightful master Anthony Johnson, as it appears by the Deposition of Capt. Samuel Goldsmith and many probable circumstances. Be it therefore the Judgment of the court and ordered that said John Casor, Negro, shall forthwith be turned into the service of his said master, Anthony Johnson, and that the said Mr. Robert Parker make payment of all charges in the suit and execution. (Eighth March, Year 1654)”

This is apparently the first legal sanction of slavery (not for a crime) in the New World.

Johnson – who had himself been captured in Angola and brought to America as an indentured servant – was a black man.

From evidence found in the earliest legal documents, Anthony Johnson must be recognized as the nation’s first official legal slaveholder.

The father of legalized slavery in America was a black man.

John Rolfe was the first slave owner...he purchased blacks from a Portuguese vessel that came to Jamestown.

There were Black slaves even before that but the first hard evidence was John Rolfe who was the official recorder for Virginia. I always thought it was a Dutch ship but I will recheck my sources.

Grooms strikes again to the Illogical loneman.

Robert Grooms writes for the Barnes Review

The Barnes Review is a bi-monthly magazine founded in 1994 by Willis Carto, dedicated to historical revisionism such as Holocaust denial.

No one in historical circles takes him seriously. He is a JOKE.

These are his sources.

Prove they're a joke.

1. The American Negro: Old World Background and New World Experience, Raymond Logan and Irving Cohen New York: Houghton and Mifflin, 1970), p.72.

2. Black Masters: A Free Family of Color in the Old South, Michael P. Johnson and James L. Roak New York: Norton, 1984), p.64.

3. The Forgotten People: Cane River's Creoles of Color, Gary Mills (Baton Rouge, 1977); Black Masters, p.128.
4. Male inheritance expectations in the United States in 1870, 1850-1870, Lee Soltow (New Haven, 1975), p.85.
5. Black Masters, Appendix, Table 7; p.280.

6. Black Masters, p. 62.

7. Information on the Ellison family was obtained from Black Masters; the number of slaves they owned was gained from U.S. Census Reports.

8. In 1860 South Carolina had only 21 gin makers; Ellison, his three sons and a grandson account for five of the total.

9. Neither Black Nor White: Slavery and Race Relations in Brazil and the United States, Carl N. Degler (New York, Macmillan, 1971), p.39;
Negro Slavery in Louisiana, Joe Gray Taylor (Baton Rouge, 1963), pp. 4041.

10. Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877, Eric Foner (New York; Harper & Row, 1988), p. 47; pp. 353-355.
We've been through this before, little dawgie.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/race-...9-are-blacks-americans-too-8.html#post3297859

One data point. Manipulation of numbers, No historian takes the takes Grooms seriously.

Not going to debate long-since debunked bullshit with you again. You're not worth it.

When have you debunked the census?

NEVER!!

Go ahead and keep your head planted firmly up your ass.

Lonestar_Logic and ghook: you don't get "just once more" with your debunked nonsense.

Whites were the first slave owners in the British colonies, including those in Canada and Bahamas and Barbadoes.

A few non-whites over the centuries owned some slaves in the colonies and America.

The Civil War was caused by the slave owners' desire to continue buying ad selling and owning humans.

Source?

You claimed I wrote something , care to show where?
You shit sucking liar!

Hugh Gwynn was not.

2 things wrong with your stance. You cant prove Africans "invented" slavery without admitting European civilization is based on all the sciences and philosophy Africa discovered and invented before Europeans invaded. Lets see some documentation on that. The other thing is that slavery in the US will go down as the worst sort of slavery there ever was and you cant say it was worse because black people made it so. Whites did that.

:lol: :lol:

The Sumerians were the first civilization and they had slaves....were they black?

Shit sucker^^^^^^^
Liar.

2 things wrong with your stance. You cant prove Africans "invented" slavery without admitting European civilization is based on all the sciences and philosophy Africa discovered and invented before Europeans invaded. Lets see some documentation on that. The other thing is that slavery in the US will go down as the worst sort of slavery there ever was and you cant say it was worse because black people made it so. Whites did that.

Why are there still slaves in Africa?

I think it's because white men aren't there to free them.

Oh and who was is that fought to free the slaves and to give blacks voting rights... Here's a hint: It wasn't black men.

You shit sucking liar!

You don't get "just once more."

You were earlier corrected, shown your errors, and if you don't like it. Tuff.

The worst part of slavery was its inception.
The sciences and philosophy of Africa entered Europe via African colonization and raiding for slaves.
Europe was under attack by Moroccan and the Punic people's in the west and the Danakil in the east long before any European civilizations invaded Africa.
Slavery was the purpose of these incursions.

Hence the term Slavic.
The slave people!!

You shit sucking liar!

You don't get "just once more."

You were earlier corrected, shown your errors, and if you don't like it. Tuff.

Corrected in a post I did not make. You vile lying shit sucking liberal diseased rat of a foul shit stain.
Liar.

The sciences and philosophy of Africa entered Europe via African colonization and raiding for slaves.
Europe was under attack by Moroccan and the Punic people's in the west and the Danakil in the east long before any European civilizations invaded Africa.

Hence the term Slavic.
The slave people!!

So you do recognize that Africa is the source of all the knowledge the Europeans claim they discovered?

Hence the term Slavic.
The slave people!!

So you do recognize that Africa is the source of all the knowledge the Europeans claim they discovered?

Not all.
Let's say nuclear power?
Which African invented that?
Penicillin?
The use of electricity?

Slavery was an African idea exported to Europe via African aggression.

Hence the term Slavic.
The slave people!!

Not all.
Let's say nuclear power?
Penicillin?
The use of electricity?

All the concepts used to developed nuclear energy was developed by the Egyptians and also reflected in the fact a supposedly primitive tribe in Africa named the Dogon already knew about.

Imhotep was the worlds first known genius and was an advanced doctor who Hippocrates admired greatly and learned from. The discovery of penicillin was an accident BTW not an invention.

The concepts of electricity are reflected in Egypt but not at all widely known. Lots of the symbols for electronics oddly look like Egyptian hieroglyphics signs for the same concepts like the symbol for the Ohm and the symbol for the battery.

Source?

Already provided. You don't get "just once more".

Source?

Already provided. You don't get "just once more".

Liar, you attributed a comment to me, I never made such a comment.
Show the post or admit your lie.
This is not a just one more.
It's a just once.
You made a statement, back it up.
Shit stain.

Not all.
Let's say nuclear power?
Penicillin?
The use of electricity?

All the concepts used to developed nuclear energy was developed by the Egyptians and also reflected in the fact a supposedly primitive tribe in Africa named the Dogon already knew about.

Imhotep was the worlds first known genius and was an advanced doctor who Hippocrates admired greatly and learned from. The discovery of penicillin was an accident BTW not an invention.

The concepts of electricity are reflected in Egypt but not at all widely known. Lots of the symbols for electronics oddly look like Egyptian hieroglyphics signs for the same concepts like the symbol for the Ohm and the symbol for the battery.

So why didn't they have nuclear power?
Why was it first implemented elsewhere?
Dope!!
All Africa gave the world was barbarism, slavery and violence.

Not all.
Let's say nuclear power?
Penicillin?
The use of electricity?

So why didn't they have nuclear power?
Why was it first implemented elsewhere?
Dope!!
All Africa gave the world was barbarism, slavery and violence.

Who says they didn't have it or something even better?

Who told you that it was first implemented elsewhere?

Seems like you've change your mind now after admitting Egypt/Africa gave the world its knowledge. :lol:

Forum List

Back