Any righties on the 3rd Coast wanna tell me how great oil is?

A lot of conservatives like to say they're all for common sense. In response to this tragedy, to a lot of liberals it's common sense to call for more restrictive regulation....but the response I'm seeing from so many on the right is still "regulation r bad".

Why can't this be a topic where the two sides come together?

No amount of regulations will stop accidents from happening. That's just plain old common sense. The more regulations you make the more costly it will be to help supply this nation with oil, you'll pay higher prices at the pump and it could even force some oil companies to abandon exploring the gulf for oil altogether, while China and other countries who are not burdened by nonsensical regulations, will continue to drill. Which still puts our shores at risk for another potentially catastrophic oil spill. Common sense would tell you that, that is not a good.

If what you're saying is true...we shouldnt have laws at all. No consumer protection laws...no criminal code. I mean hell, it's going to happen anyway!

That gauge could have been mandated. Yes, I know the efficacy of that gauge has been called into question, but at the very least it COULD have helped possibly. Its COMMON SENSE to try to spend $500,000 vs the billions that are going to be paid now.

And posts like yours are why I wonder if the conservatives should just all become anarchists and libertarians. No regulations seems to be your thing.

Hey at least my avatar hasn't jumped the shark biatch!

house-shark1-425x240.png

:lol:

Yours is pretty ghey, though...

Gay? LOL! Up until a few decades ago, if my avatar and his tribe and another Mardi Gras Indian tribe ran into each other on the street on Mardi Gras day, the result would often be serious bodily injury and even death, involving the use of not only fists but often blades.

All of this heavy violence stopped under the guidance Big Chief Tootie Montana. Now instead of actually involving themselves in combat, its more of a show of force instead of actually using it.

Meet de boys on the battlefront......

Of course, people who have never really experienced New Orleans have a hard time understanding the culture and were the ones making asinine statements like:

"Let's just turn it into an "adult Disneyland type of place!"

or

"Let's just fill the damn thing and start over."

After the storm.

"Defend NOLA"

My wife was an undergraduate admissions counselor for Tulane after Katrina and actually kept a log of the stupid stuff some people would say to her as she tried to recruit a class after the storm. (Though most people were wonderful.)

Why don't you drink some oil? Isn't it good stuff? So why not drink it?

I have other information for you....

A few days ago they had a night where everyone in the world was supposed to turn out their lights for an hour.

You know what I did to celebrate? I turned on every light bulb in my house, garage and shed. I also let my truck and car idle for an hour.

Until you bastards quit telling me how to live my life, I will continue to celebrate in my own way.

See that's just childish and knee-jerk reactionary. Nanny nanny boo boo!

No, childish is not taking personal responsibilty and allowing the government to dictate every apsect of your life from how to raise your children to what you can eat. Childish is demanding governmental cradle to grave entitlements.

My wife was an undergraduate admissions counselor for Tulane after Katrina and actually kept a log of the stupid stuff some people would say to her as she tried to recruit a class after the storm. (Though most people were wonderful.)

What do I need to do to get a copy of that?

Last edited:
A lot of conservatives like to say they're all for common sense. In response to this tragedy, to a lot of liberals it's common sense to call for more restrictive regulation....but the response I'm seeing from so many on the right is still "regulation r bad".

No amount of regulations will stop accidents from happening. That's just plain old common sense. The more regulations you make the more costly it will be to help supply this nation with oil, you'll pay higher prices at the pump and it could even force some oil companies to abandon exploring the gulf for oil altogether, while China and other countries who are not burdened by nonsensical regulations, will continue to drill. Which still puts our shores at risk for another potentially catastrophic oil spill. Common sense would tell you that, that is not a good.

If what you're saying is true...we shouldnt have laws at all. No consumer protection laws...no criminal code. I mean hell, it's going to happen anyway!

That gauge could have been mandated. Yes, I know the efficacy of that gauge has been called into question, but at the very least it COULD have helped possibly. Its COMMON SENSE to try to spend $500,000 vs the billions that are going to be paid now.

And posts like yours are why I wonder if the conservatives should just all become anarchists and libertarians. No regulations seems to be your thing.

No what I'm saying is that more regulations will not prevent accidents. Do you realize how many regulations oil companies already must follow? You can't even work on an offshore rig without a background security check that's approved by MARSEC.

Regulations can be a benefit but over-regulation can be detrimental.

As a conservative, I also do my duty of creating minority killing hurricanes, dispensing mercury and arsenic into water supplies near schools, introduce crack into minority neighborhoods, take money from seasoned citizens, beating up gays periodically, make threatening gestures at rallies and sometimes I even spit on creeps in congress.

Just doing my part.

What do I need to do to get a copy of that?

Probably a night out and lots of drinks, but we aren't in NOLA anymore. I think she stored it with our other stuff at my parent's house that is hours away from us.

I am really proud of the work she and her peers did. They managed to make a class after the Hurricane and it kept Tulane viable. Tulane is the largest employer in the city and was/is instrumental in helping the city after the storm. I feel like she is one of many un-sung heroes after the storm, though she's never considered herself that.

Cowen took some heat after the storm, but the moves he made were needed to save the university and, by proxy, the city. Loyola has had a much rougher time after the storm.

"Scott Cowen for President of the Universe"

No what I'm saying is that more regulations will not prevent accidents. Do you realize how many regulations oil companies already must follow? You can't even work on an offshore rig without a background security check that's approved by MARSEC.

1. I agree regulations can be both helpful and oppressive. Let's take the Federal Code. Right now there are over 10,000 different federal crimes/infractions ...so many that there's no accurate accounting of how many there are.

2. Just because there are a lot of laws/regulations doesnt mean that more or less are necessary for the profitable, fair, and safe practice of this industry. Saying...omg there are a TON already...that doesnt prove that there are enough already.

3. regulations CAN POSSIBLY stop accidents. depends on which regulation and what it covers. to say that there are no needs for federal or state-level protections via law is simply ludicrous.

And that's the intent...isn't it? Nice post. Say? I wanna know where Spidey was during this?

[SNIP]

Australia saw an accident similar to the Deepwater Horizon spill (but smaller in scale, obviously) just last year. The plan to contain that leak required drilling a new, separate oil well at a diagonal angle to intersect the spewing one (not unlike tapping an overloaded pipe to relieve some of the pressure).

[/SNIP]

And funny? Isn't that what BP is doing now to stem this one? BP is taking responsibility for it. But for some NOT good enough. WE have to cease drilling...lower our standard of living...-Or Else-.

SOURCE

1. I agree regulations can be both helpful and oppressive. Let's take the Federal Code. Right now there are over 10,000 different federal crimes/infractions ...so many that there's no accurate accounting of how many there are.

2. Just because there are a lot of laws/regulations doesnt mean that more or less are necessary for the profitable, fair, and safe practice of this industry. Saying...omg there are a TON already...that doesnt prove that there are enough already.

3. regulations CAN POSSIBLY stop accidents. depends on which regulation and what it covers. to say that there are no needs for federal or state-level protections via law is simply ludicrous.

What regulation would you like oil producers to adhere to?

Hey at least my avatar hasn't jumped the shark biatch!

house-shark1-425x240.png

:lol:

Yours is pretty ghey, though...

Gay? LOL! Up until a few decades ago, if my avatar and his tribe and another Mardi Gras Indian tribe ran into each other on the street on Mardi Gras day, the result would often be serious bodily injury and even death, involving the use of not only fists but often blades.

All of this heavy violence stopped under the guidance Big Chief Tootie Montana. Now instead of actually involving themselves in combat, its more of a show of force instead of actually using it.

No, not "gay"... "ghey"...

and you're still a fucking hypocrite sucking on the BigOil teat...

Maybe you can have a bake sale or two to help you out...

At least we've gotten to this stage - where hopefully you can agree with the three points above.

Answering your question:

How about the MMS proposed regulations for starters

Now I'm going to credit you with being able to read a URL and can guess that you'll attack the source. The actual rule is what you should focus on, if you want to stay on point. Not an attack on the source.

I'm also going to say that stricter monitoring of the cementing process needs regulating.

From 1969 to 2003 alone, there were at least 49 oil spills in California, some seeping 20,000 gallons into waters frequented by endangered birds. What part of "needing more policing" doesn't sink in for some people.

The mantra of "more regulation = automatically bad" is tired, old, and just plain wrong.

If I concede that over regulation is bad can someone please at least concede that some regulations are good? Holy hell.

Last edited:

At least we've gotten to this stage - where hopefully you can agree with the three points above.

Answering your question:

Now I'm going to credit you with being able to read a URL and can guess that you'll attack the source. The actual rule is what you should focus on, if you want to stay on point. Not an attack on the source.

I'm also going to say that stricter monitoring of the cementing process needs regulating.

From 1969 to 2003 alone, there were at least 49 oil spills in California, some seeping 20,000 gallons into waters frequented by endangered birds. What part of "needing more policing" doesn't sink in for some people.

The mantra of "more regulation = automatically bad" is tired, old, and just plain wrong.

If I concede that over regulation is bad can someone please at least concede that some regulations are good? Holy hell.

Do you have any idea how many regulations oil producers must follow? You can scream and shout for more regulations but I'm telling you no amount of regulations will eliminate accidents.

Answering your question:

Do you have any idea how many regulations oil producers must follow? You can scream and shout for more regulations but I'm telling you no amount of regulations will eliminate accidents.

The only regulations some agree with unfortunately are those that will regulate an industry OUT of existence. This is the road some are on.

Answering your question:

These proposed items are already in place in the merchant marine industry and are known as SMS. All merchant marine vessels, including government operated vessels that adhere to USCG standards which were switched over from about the 2005-2008 time frame, are now required to make this program mandatory. Now it seems they want to place all MODU's under the same procedures, make it mandatory to comply and tailor standardized procedures to the unique operations associated with them. I think this is a good idea. The SEMS as it's called will standardize all work processes so that no matter which MODU workers go to the procedures are exactly the same. It establishes a program where a regulatory body will come in and inspect the rigs, their safety equipment and then submit findings to the appropriate authorities. It does NOT however address what types of safety equipment should or shouldn't be installed on these rigs.

What is the status of these rule changes?

The right doesn't want to "come together" - their #1 goal is to keep America divided.

It would certainly make sense to me to halt all deep water offshore drilling for now, until safety measures can be instituted to ensure this does not happen again.

its painfully obvious to me and everyone with a brain that BP and/or one of the other companies involved simply failed to analyze the failure modes of this rig. BP has had its arms up for days like "we dunno what to do, we're going to try different things" - they had no plan at all for shutting down the well in an event like this.

So, are you saying Nawlins should be shut down until they get a real flood plan for hurricanes? Seems like the mayor and the governor during Katrina, just held their hands up in Baton Rouge and said...........we dunno what to do, we're going to try different things, it's all George Bush's fault, he hates black people!

Forum List

Back