Any Vietnam era vets on this forum?

Yes spitting occurred and much more than people realize. Any who buy into are as deluded as far right reactionaries are about commies under their bed.

---- Yes Virginia, Vietnam Vets were spit on - Broowaha

Dr. Jerry Lembcke a professor at Holy Cross, published a book in 1998 entitled "The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam" in which Lembcke asserts that Vietnam Veterans were never

Lembcke, a staunch anti-war activist, member of "Vietnam Veterans Against the War", and to this day, a leading critic of U.S. foreign policy has become the sole "academic" reference for the repudiation of the spitting myth. To say he is biased would be an understatement.

To the surprise of no one, the media and many current anti-war groups quickly accepted Lembcke's assertions in an attempt to rehabilitate an anti-war movement devoid of credibility. Unfortunately, to anyone who reads his book, Lembcke's work is flawed at every level and wouldn't be worthy of mention except that it is now the single source cited by anyone wishing to ignore historical fact and propagate Lembcke's position that Vietnam Vets were not spit on. This is exactly why the anti-war movement has no credibility with mainstream Americans: Many are against the war but few want to be lumped in with these wild eyed ex-hippies trying to convince the American people their servicemen committed war crimes and atrocities against the Vietnamese.

Read more at Yes Virginia, Vietnam Vets were spit on - Broowaha
You`re posting an opinion piece and calling it proof that people were spit on? Nobody ever claimed to be spit on until they heard Rambo say it in 1982. Opinion pieces trashing Lembcke`s work are a dime a dozen.

Having been stationed in Frisco during 'Nam, I can tell you that instances of being spat upon by Hippies were common.

Those of us stationed on the Presidio were warned not to wear our uniforms off base unless we were in our POVs driving to and from work.

And it didn't necessarily take a uniform to get ragged on, insulted, and yes, spat upon. Our GI haircuts stuck out and often received the Hippie Love Kiss.
Not one shred of evidence. No photos, news archives, police reports (no doubt that a spitter would have received a well deserved knuckle sandwich). There was virtual spitting on vets but this was done by the American Legion and the VFW.
All of your nonsense has been dismissed long ago. Run along.

As for Close Air Support - we had these beauties:

220px-A-1H_602SOS_Jun1970.jpg

Read more about them @ Hobby
I loved the A-1H Skyraider. They would fly low and slow along a perimeter and drop 250 & 500 lb bombs on Sir Charles within 50 yards of our positions. Charley was terrified of them because they were well armored and could get down in the trees and grass chasing Charley. Surprisingly they could carry more ordnance than a B-17 bomber.

The spitting incidents in SFO are an example of what happens when ignorant people blame an entire group for the actions of a few, q.v. My Lai.

I loved the A-1H Skyraider. They would fly low and slow along a perimeter and drop 250 & 500 lb bombs on Sir Charles within 50 yards of our positions. Charley was terrified of them because they were well armored and could get down in the trees and grass chasing Charley. Surprisingly they could carry more ordnance than a B-17 bomber.
Ever see one of those A-1Hs carry one of these bombs?????

A-1H_VA-25_CVA-41bomb.jpg

Gives unleashing a shitstorm on the enemy a new meaning.

Arlington, November 11, 2015 with some of the gang. On Saturday Nov,14 we celebrated the beginning of the Battle of Ia Drang Valley at LZ X-RAY. Had my baseball hat on.

We Were Soldiers Once and Young: Ia Drang Valley 1965 withLisa Soltow Brannon and 9 others at Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

November 11 · Washington, District of Columbia, DC · ·

Just received a picture from my buddy Travis. Taken at Ia Drang Alumni Banquet,11-14-2005 in Arlington,VA. Just after my Saturday night bath.

Yer a handsome and very dignified looking gent, Hossfly.
Sincerely, GoodnightGracie. :lol:

To all the Nam vets, thank you and I'm sorry you were treated so bad when arriving home.
If you were in the military during that time you didn't even have to go Vietnam to be called baby-killers.

The same motherfuckers that were spitting on us are now running the Democrap party.
I have 2 brothers in law that served and they came home, got jobs, raised families and didn`t spend decades making up stupid shit about being spit on. Do you have any proof of your allegations? Let`s have a look.
From 1965 to 1975 if you came through San Francisco International on the way back from SE Asia you got spit on and the police warned everyone beforehand if a soldier retaliated he would be arrested. No stupid shit either, Twinkles.
I came through SF in 1975 going to Treasure Island HT"A" US Navy Firefighting School. I mostly saw alot of Harri Krishnah's at the airports.

Nope....I was stationed at Pearl Harbor in 76' when a bunch of longhairs started screaming that I was a baby-killer from a speeding car. My guess they were Navy Brats too.

Everyone hated the military back then.
Your story is just one of hundreds of thousands of bullshit stories told by vets. No one has been able to prove that any of that shit happened and everybody didn`t hate the military. Everybody had a friend, relative, son, etc. in the military. What most people hated was the govt.`s policy regarding Vietnam.
How old are you? Yes, it happened. So did the baby killer bumper stickers. The left always were assholes while they enjoy the freedoms good men bled for. They don't do it now because it pissed off a whole lot of people.

I was an Vietnam era vet, 72-76.

Never saw one but I read about it in the Army Times in 1965. Pilots are innovative and a one of a kind breed.

Here's the lowdown on the pilot. He got killed in N Vietnam about 10 months later.

Brengun Item No. BRL48040 – Toilet bomb for Skyraider Review by Brad Fallen

Never saw one but I read about it in the Army Times in 1965. Pilots are innovative and a one of a kind breed.

Here's the lowdown on the pilot. He got killed in N Vietnam about 10 months later.

Brengun Item No. BRL48040 – Toilet bomb for Skyraider Review by Brad Fallen
The good die young.

He had a dangerous mission and he had a flare....and he made the best of it.

Sorry to hear he was killed.

Forum List

Back