Anybody ever clean and reinstall an O2 sensor?

Have you tried the carb cleaner on the intake yet?

Yeah, I tried that right after you mentioned it. I didn't hear a change of idle.
I know the exhaust manifold gaskets are new, too, because I put em on there.

I bummed a smoke off the neighbor and blew a bunch of smoke in the brake booster vacuum the other day, too. Nothing there. IAC valve is good. PCV is good. I replaced the intake gasket last year. So that's new. I did it right, too. No exhaust leaks. The entire fuel system is new. Everything. FPR, injectors, pump, lines, fuel sending unit. Plugs and wires are new. Cap, rotor, coil is all new.

I probably just need to install the new O2 sensor. If that don't do it, then I'll hook it up to the scanner.

This is the vette I've been restoring, btw, so that's why all the parts are new. It's pretty much been a full restoration. It's a 5.7L tuned port injection l98 motor. Don't even ask how much currency I've spent on restoring the thing. lolol. It's way, way, way more than I paid for it.

Once the exhaust cools off I'll go out and intstall the new O2 sensor and run it again this evening and see if the code 44 returns.

If it does, I suppose I'll have some tinkering around to do.

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried that right after you mentioned it. I didn't hear a change of idle.
I know the exhaust manifold gaskets are new, too, because I put em on there.

I bummed a smoke off the neighbor and blew a bunch of smoke in the brake booster vacuum the other day, too. Nothing there. IAC valve is good. PCV is good. I replaced the intake gasket last year. So that's new. I did it right, too. No exhaust leaks. The entire fuel system is new. Everything. FPR, injectors, pump, lines, fuel sending unit. Plugs and wires are new. Cap, rotor, coil is all new.

I probably just need to install the new O2 sensor. If that don't do it, then I'll hook it up to the scanner.
Yup, good chance it is the sensor. Also, one thing you may want to do to really narrow it down is swap the O2 sensors from side to side and clear the codes and see if the code goes to the other side and that will confirm it's the sensor. Not trying for overkill, just some folks wanna know exactly. However, if you put a new sensor on and that fixes it then you do know exactly@ ;)

Yup, good chance it is the sensor. Also, one thing you may want to do to really narrow it down is swap the O2 sensors from side to side and clear the codes and see if the code goes to the other side and that will confirm it's the sensor. Not trying for overkill, just some folks wanna know exactly. However, if you put a new sensor on and that fixes it then you do know exactly@ ;)

Yeah, I thought about doing that. It's a good idea. And that'd tell me for sure if it was bad.

But the right side O2 sensor actually is a giant pain in the rear end to get to. So that's not happening.

The left side is wide open.

I probably shoulda just installed the new one in the first place, but I was just genuinely curious if cleaning it would resolve the lean code. Apparently it didn't.

The sensor is probably shot on the inside.

It was the sensor. After installing the new one I haven't had a code 44 since.

I took it for a pretty good rumble, too.

Leaky master cylinder grommets next on the list of to-do. Kind of irks me since the master cylinder is new.

Forum List

Back