Anybody ever clean and reinstall an O2 sensor?

I replaced the TB gaskets earlier this spring when I cleaned the TB. I also replaced all of the vacuum hoses except for one pain in the rear end one that goes to the cruise control. That's probably dry rotted. PCV valve is new. Didn't get an EGR code, just the O2 code. So I'm assuming no EGR problems.

I did use the old gaskets on the plenum when I pulled that earlier this year, though. Could be a vacuum leak there. I had to replace the fuel pressure regulator so the plenum had to come off. I didn't replace the gaskets, just used the old ones.

I'll have to check that out. Because you're right, that would throw a lean code

Thanks, mike.

I'm kind of hoping it is the O2 sensor, though. I just went out there and looked at it and I don't even need an O2 socket, I have enough room to unplug it and put a wrench on it. I hit it with some blaster when I was out there, just in case. At least that way it's soaking.
cleaning the TB can sometimes release a bunch of gunk that can stick to the O2 sensor

I replaced the TB gaskets earlier this spring when I cleaned the TB. I also replaced all of the vacuum hoses except for one pain in the rear end one that goes to the cruise control. That's probably dry rotted. PCV valve is new. Didn't get an EGR code, just the O2 code. So I'm assuming no EGR problems.

I did use the old gaskets on the plenum when I pulled that earlier this year, though. Could be a vacuum leak there. I had to replace the fuel pressure regulator so the plenum had to come off. I didn't replace the gaskets, just used the old ones.

I'll have to check that out. Because you're right, that would throw a lean code

Thanks, mike.

I'm kind of hoping it is the O2 sensor, though. I just went out there and looked at it and I don't even need an O2 socket, I have enough room to unplug it and put a wrench on it. I hit it with some blaster when I was out there, just in case. At least that way it's soaking.
One other thing you can try is with the motor running, spray some carb cleaner around the intake where the gaskets are and if the engine speeds up, it's leaking.

you still have the plenum that gets coated with black soot,,

I did clean that plenum up really well when I had it off. It had a pretty good layer of sticky residue inside the runners. The whole inside, actually. I soaked it in a tub of diluted royal purple and it came out sparkling.

I did clean that plenum up really well when I had it off. It had a pretty good layer of sticky residue inside the runners. The whole inside, actually. I soaked it in a tub of diluted royal purple and it came out sparkling.
I would say if the o2 is easy enough to change theres no harm in cleaning it first,,

theres a big dif between a parts changer and a mechanic,,

One other thing you can try is with the motor running, spray some carb cleaner around the intake where the gaskets are and if the engine speeds up, it's leaking.

Dang, mike. That's brilliant. I never would have thought of that. Learn something new every day.

I might go out and mess around with that. I'm just sitting on here dicking around anyway. Don't really have any work left to do.

Thanks, that's clever.

Lol, the plenum does not control idle speed, increased rpm, or sending throttle angle reading to the computer. Guess ima bug out here.

I was checking codes earlier this morning and got a code 44, which indicates a lean exhaust, left O2 sensor.

If I'm going to go to the effort of removing it I may as well intall a new one, they're cheap enough anyway, but I'm just curious if anyone has ever cleaned one up and reinstalled it.

I was thinking about trying it just out of pure curiosity.
/——/ To hee Ed Volvo dealer wants $1,000 to change two O2 sensors on my 2011 C70 at 65,000 miles. They are in range but on the lower end. I’m wondering if I can do it myself now or wait for the check engine light comes on and get a local foreign car guy to do it.

I was checking codes earlier this morning and got a code 44, which indicates a lean exhaust, left O2 sensor.

If I'm going to go to the effort of removing it I may as well intall a new one, they're cheap enough anyway, but I'm just curious if anyone has ever cleaned one up and reinstalled it.

I was thinking about trying it just out of pure curiosity.
Tried it worked for a real short time. Go ahead and put in a new one.

/——/ To hee Ed Volvo dealer wants $1,000 to change two O2 sensors on my 2011 C70 at 65,000 miles. They are in range but on the lower end. I’m wondering if I can do it myself now or wait for the check engine light comes on and get a local foreign car guy to do it.
Go ahead and change both yourself it can be an aggravation to loosen them but it is worth it. On my 2011 ford ranger, I used PB Blaster on them then let it sit overnight. The Haynes Auto Repair Manual always comes in handy.

Last edited:
It's been raining since yesterday afternoon. It might let up this afternoon some time. So I didn't feel like going anywhere yesterday.

I did pull the O2 sensor, though. I had plenty of room to wrench on it, so it was out in just a couple of minutes.

It was pretty dirty. At first I didn't wanna put any kind of solvent on it so I just rubbed it down nice and good with a crisp Federal Reserve Note.

That did an okay job, a pretty good job actually, but not all the way.

So I hit it with some gun cleaner and that finished cleaning it up nicely.

As quick as it is to install and uninstall I might screw it back in and take it for a spin once the rain lets up to see if I get the code again. Just have to remember to clear the old code before I do.

I worked on cars 40 years dumbass.
so did I dumbass,, and how am I a parts changer when I just told him to try and clean and fix it without getting a new part??

might because youre a fucking idiot just trying to start shit instead of going down to the day room for daily pudding cups

Didn't work.

SES light came back on and recorded another code 44.

I'll screw the new one in later. Don't feel like messing with it now.

It was worth a shot, though, just to see.

Didn't work.

SES light came back on and recorded another code 44.

I'll screw the new one in later. Don't feel like messing with it now.

It was worth a shot, though, just to see.
Have you tried the carb cleaner on the intake yet?

Forum List

Back