Anyone know of a good .38 Spl defense round?

I have a 50's model Colt Cobra in .38 Special that has an alloy frame, so I probably shouldn't use +P ammo in it. Most of the .38 Special ammo that isn't the high-pressure stuff is just round-nosed FMJ, which isn't much of a defensive load.

An interesting note though: The Colt Cobra with the 2" barrel is the exact same model Jack Ruby used to shoot Lee Harvey Oswald.

Does anyone even make low-pressure HP rounds in .38 Special?

find7.jpg

I suggest the Federal premium 110 gr Hydra-shok. It's a non +P ammunition that should do the job for you.

81ed0e5a972140ab6d153e6f7180db80_4.jpg

38 Special Ammo - 20 Rounds of 110 Grain Jacketed Hollow-Point (JHP) by Federal

Thanks! I think that's what I was looking for.

That looks like it would hurt. A lot.

Not for long.
iu

100% energy transfer = tremendous shock. Don't quote me but I seem to recall them advertising that a 9mm Glaser round delivers as much energy to a fleshy target as a .44 mag.

A high power round goes through a fleshy target and carries its remaining energy with it. A Glaser enters and disintegrates transferring all it's energy. It goes in and doesn't come out.

The only downside I've heard discussed over using Glasers is wintertime use where your opponent might be wearing a leather jacket or many layers of clothing.

The other problem the Glaser has is if you hit them in an extremity, arm, leg, whatever, the projectile stops in the extremity. It won't punch a hole through the arm and go into the body. That can be a serious problem. They also do not penetrate multiple layers of clothing as you mention.

I have a 50's model Colt Cobra in .38 Special that has an alloy frame, so I probably shouldn't use +P ammo in it. Most of the .38 Special ammo that isn't the high-pressure stuff is just round-nosed FMJ, which isn't much of a defensive load.

An interesting note though: The Colt Cobra with the 2" barrel is the exact same model Jack Ruby used to shoot Lee Harvey Oswald.

find7.jpg
a2630e4399122621f86c2066316cfdb2.jpg

a579e899869d12584746704d23f7595d.jpg

243fae95c600138540d43b75f1a376d6_7.jpg

The other problem the Glaser has is if you hit them in an extremity, arm, leg, whatever, the projectile stops in the extremity. It won't punch a hole through the arm and go into the body. That can be a serious problem. They also do not penetrate multiple layers of clothing as you mention.

Good point. A mixed load would be prudent.

I carry one and offset my loads. First is a hollow point followed by a wad cutter.
Then another hollow point and so on.
Wad-cutter is good for punching nice clean holes in paper targets but they are a very light bullet. Better you just flatten the nose of an ordinary 158gr round nose bullet.

Have you considered purchasing a new weapon?

I have lots of newer weapons, it's just that the wife has taken a shine to this one. So I Ieave it loaded and stashed at home where she can get to it if she needs it. There are also a couple 9mm pistols in places, shotguns, and the AK, but she seems to like the .38 for the simplicity of just pointing and pulling the trigger.

Xmas is coming up.

sw_150467.jpg

Smith & Wesson 637 Airweight Pink Grips .38 Special+P priced at $553.00??

Gezus man, I don't have a money tree in my back yard. I have $20 invested in the Cobra. :laugh:

Cost of a pink grip S&W —$553.

Look on the scrote’s face when he’s gut shot with a pink handgun — Priceless

...by a helpless, defenseless little woman, to add insult on top of injury.

:laughing0301:

No one is helpless with a .38.

I have lots of newer weapons, it's just that the wife has taken a shine to this one. So I Ieave it loaded and stashed at home where she can get to it if she needs it. There are also a couple 9mm pistols in places, shotguns, and the AK, but she seems to like the .38 for the simplicity of just pointing and pulling the trigger.

Xmas is coming up.

sw_150467.jpg

Smith & Wesson 637 Airweight Pink Grips .38 Special+P priced at $553.00??

Gezus man, I don't have a money tree in my back yard. I have $20 invested in the Cobra. :laugh:

Cost of a pink grip S&W —$553.

Look on the scrote’s face when he’s gut shot with a pink handgun — Priceless

...by a helpless, defenseless little woman, to add insult on top of injury.

:laughing0301:

No one is helpless with a .38.
I witnesses a shooting with a 4 inch 38. Dropped her in her tracks.

Thanks! I think that's what I was looking for.
The one thing I forgot to mention is in addition to the Cobra's light weight it has a six round cylinder instead of the five round capacity of the S&W two-inchers, which could turn out to be a big advantage.

find7.jpg

Best there is:
49050.jpg

Magsafe 38W Handgun SWAT 38 Special Pre-Fragmented Bullet 37 GR 10 Rds | Discount Firearms USA

Forum List

Back