Aphasia

I'm just not smart enough to understand the OP's link. So I went looking for something down to my level and found this:

Aphasia is a disorder that results from damage to portions of the brain that are responsible for language. For most people, these areas are on the left side of the brain. Aphasia usually occurs suddenly, often following a stroke or head injury, but it may also develop slowly, as the result of a brain tumor or a progressive neurological disease. The disorder impairs the expression and understanding of language as well as reading and writing. Aphasia may occur with speech disorders, such as dysarthria or apraxia of speech, which also result from brain damage.

My wife suffered a severe stroke some years back and has great difficulty in expressing herself, although she does seem to understand what I say. She also has difficulty with reading and writing, although that may be in part due to her rheumatoid arthritis and some loss of hearing perhaps due to age. It must be tremendously hard for her to be unable to communicate clearly what she wants or needs, and no less so for me to figure out what I should do for her.

I'm just not smart enough to understand the OP's link. So I went looking for something down to my level and found this:

Aphasia is a disorder that results from damage to portions of the brain that are responsible for language. For most people, these areas are on the left side of the brain. Aphasia usually occurs suddenly, often following a stroke or head injury, but it may also develop slowly, as the result of a brain tumor or a progressive neurological disease. The disorder impairs the expression and understanding of language as well as reading and writing. Aphasia may occur with speech disorders, such as dysarthria or apraxia of speech, which also result from brain damage.

My wife suffered a severe stroke some years back and has great difficulty in expressing herself, although she does seem to understand what I say. She also has difficulty with reading and writing, although that may be in part due to her rheumatoid arthritis and some loss of hearing perhaps due to age. It must be tremendously hard for her to be unable to communicate clearly what she wants or needs, and no less so for me to figure out what I should do for her.
i have been hearing about Aphasia in the news. they are saying the person will have difficulty communicating or understanding what he or she hears. they say it leads to Alzheimer's. I am sorry about your wife and i pray for her and you and your family.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back