April 26, 2014: Today in the headlines

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
I do this now and again, by taking screenshots of 8-10 media outlets' front-pages on the web (all at the same time) to compare what is being reported. I opened these 10 pages at about 05:00 AM EST today and will publish them in random order, also without commentary from me. I am, however, willing to responde to any commentary or observations you all have to make. You can look and see the difference in what is being reported and how it is being reported for yourself.

1.) NBC News:

NBCHeadlines2014-04-026_zpsb51569bb.png

2.) The Washington Times:

WATimesHeadlines2014-04-026_zpsd326efce.png

3.) CNN:

CNNHeadlines2014-04-026_zpsa4f35033.png

4.) The Washington Post:

WAPOHeadlines2014-04-026_zpsa9e80da4.png

5.) The New York Times:

NYTHeadlines2014-04-026_zps0bc5c948.png

6.) ABC News:

ABCHeadlines2014-04-026_zpsd6ac4536.png

7a.) The Huffington Post:

HuffPo-EnglishHeadlines2014-04-026_zpsd669f3b9.png

(7b. will be in the first posting after the OP, you will see why)

8.) Townhall:

TownhallHeadlines2014-04-026_zpsbf878dd3.png

9.) CBS News:

CBSHeadlines2014-04-026_zps7aa29571.png

10.) Fox News:

FOXHeadlines2014-04-026_zps2ab62605.png

Last edited:
  • Banned
[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=26838]Ropey[/MENTION] [MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=45164]pacer[/MENTION] [MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION] [MENTION=36154]Roudy[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION] [MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION] [MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION] [MENTION=46804]RandomVariable[/MENTION] [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION] [MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION] [MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION] [MENTION=48060]guno[/MENTION] [MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION] [MENTION=41303]katsteve2012[/MENTION] [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] [MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION] [MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION] [MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION] [MENTION=29697]freedombecki[/MENTION] [MENTION=18905]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=3135]jillian[/MENTION] [MENTION=19170]Coyote[/MENTION] [MENTION=23239]westwall[/MENTION] [MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION] [MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION] [MENTION=41985]drifter[/MENTION] [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION] [MENTION=13805]Againsheila[/MENTION]

I wanted to invite you especially just to take a look and notice the many differences in the type of things that are being reported and how they are being reported.

I personally go to about 15 news outlets a day, browse - and then delve, and I go to as many Conservative-leaning sites as I do to Liberal-leaning sites, alongside what we generally called the "mainstream media". In other words, I have a pretty healthy diet of everything in my daily news consumption.

In the past, such threads have received OUTSTANDING commentary from people from all over the spectrum, not only about stuff that appears to be missing from one site, but to be found in abundance on another site, but also comments about format, use of graphics, story placement on a page, etc.

And in the past, I have discovered just as many enlightening and helpful comments from Conservatives as from Liberals - so nothing about this OP is supposed to be a potshot at one site or another, because for every single one of the outlets above, even the ones that lean strongly in one ideological direction, I can find at least one very, very positive thing to say and remember about that particular headline page.

See what differences you can find, ones that please you and also the ones that don't. What would you perhaps do differently? What do you expect of a good news outlet? If you could tell the Editor of said news outlet what he should change, what would you tell him? Say it here, let us know. Let's get a good conversation started on news "production", taking a very average day in the month, like April 26th, 2014, to speak about it.

Remember, we are being inundated and influenced by this stuff from all corners every day, so this kind of thing, imo, helps the process of discernment.

Have fun!

-Stat

PS. If you quote the OP, you might want to edit out the graphic http's from the screenshots that you are NOT talking about, otherwise, the postings may get very, very lonnnnnngggg.....

:lol:

Last edited:
  • Banned
You forgot the Jerusalem Post. ... :cool:

So, in spite of the nasty intent of your posting, as usual, I will give you an adult response:

Yes, I also read the JP as well as Haaretz, but I also read Al Jazeera every day. In terms of accuracy of reporting of most stuff, excluding the PA/Israeli conflict, Al Jazeera actually puts out very, very good reporting a lot of the time.

I hit about 9 other German news outlets, including ARD Tagesschau, ZDF Heute Journal, Berliner Morgenpost, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Phoenix, Deutsche Welle.

I also hit about 4 french news sites a day, including Le Monde.

I also hit the Guardian and BBC sometimes, also SKY.

But I decided to limit this thread to news sites that are primarily focused on the USA, since the bulk of the membership of USMB reads and watches mainly US-American news outlets.

Thanks for your informative and entertaining efforts.

For me the most significant "news item" of the day, that todays is my wife's birthday.

Happy birthday, honey.

Sorry. The fact that today is our daughter's 18th birthday is today's headline.

Happy birthday and many more to your wife, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for your informative and entertaining efforts.

For me the most significant "news item" of the day, that todays is my wife's birthday.

Happy birthday, honey.

Sorry. The fact that today is our daughter's 18th birthday is today's headline.

Happy birthday and many more to your wife, though.

That's a great headline in your family.

I browsed through them. Naturally I expected some to spin hard to the right or left, and some did. But what stands out for me is the way ABC News seems to worship horrible tragedies.

Yes, it's news that someone was killed, but it's too tabloid when one centers the headline on rejected prom dates or relatives of the wedding party. And so many dismal stories! I'd be suicidal if my only source for news was ABC.

I browsed through them. Naturally I expected some to spin hard to the right or left, and some did. But what stands out for me is the way ABC News seems to worship horrible tragedies.

Yes, it's news that someone was killed, but it's too tabloid when one centers the headline on rejected prom dates or relatives of the wedding party. And so many dismal stories! I'd be suicidal if my only source for news was ABC.

Yes, I've noticed that too. However, ABC uses a flash graphic that goes through a number of stories and my screenshot program snaps whatever shows up at that instant - I am not waiting for one particular story to show up.

But they do tend to put out a story with big "heart-string" value up with stories of national and international significance. I also find the extended rectangular form of the graphic to be somehow a little disturbing - it's too long and not high enough for my personal taste.

[MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION]

I did notice some of the differences in reporting as well, but relating more to formatting. To your point, I think ABC's subliminal approach is BOLD headlines on the tabloidish type news to pique public interest in some of the tragic stories, which in some csses are morbid, but do appeal to the human curiousity with the macabre.

I also looked at some archived editions and saw the same type of layout.

I usually read the news on CNN or watch it on television. Of course they appear to be more inclined to report on politically relevant issues, but the balance of what they report seems to give you just enough to get the jist of the story.

JMO

The media issue is a tricky subject, because there will always be bias in those articles.

Maybe it's part of human nature to convey events other than what they really are?

I prefer a simplistic approach of the events, without trying to spin it one way or another. Even worse is when news is fabricated. Repetitive news is boring, too, which is why I stopped watching CNN because they won't shut up about that missing plane.

News ought to be conveyed simply, briefly, fairly, and accurately.

I noticed that the right leaning news center more around politics and the things that probably interest right wingers more than anybody else....more "Enquirer" type reporting, whereas the others focused on issues worlldwide....things that are important to everybody. I don't like CNN because it seems to be too much like Faux News.

Stat, you know what is cool is to see the stories as printed in the foreign press and then compare the differences in perspectives to the US media. especially on international issues

Forum List

Back