Archaeologists Claim They’ve Discovered the Trojan Horse in Turkey

Natural Citizen

American Made
Aug 8, 2016
This is a cool story. So often what has been deemed myth has turned out to be proven as fact. Troy is one such example, going back to nineteenth century German amateur archaeologist, Heinrich Schliemann, who went against the academics of the time and proved Troy to be real.

That said, and referencing academia again who have historically deemed the trojan horse to be merely a metaphor, a Trojan horse has been found. Historians have always suggested that the image of a trojan horse was used as an analogy for a war machine, or a natural disaster.

Anyway...

''Turkish archaeologists claim they have found what they believe are pieces of the Trojan Horse. According to a report by newsit.gr, Turkish archaeologists excavating the site of the historical city of Troy on the hills of Hisarlik have unearthed a large wooden structure. Historians and archaeologists think what they have discovered are remains of the legendary Trojan Horse.

The excavations brought to light dozens of fir planks and beams up to 15 meters (49 feet) long. The remnants were assembled in a strange form, that led the experts to suspect they belong to the Trojan Horse. The wooden structure was inside the walls of the ancient city of Troy.

The structure found fits the description by Virgil, Augustus and Quintus Smyrnaeus. So archaeologists have started to consider that the discovery is indeed the remains of the subterfuge Greeks used to conquer ancient Troy.

Another discovery that supports the archaeologists’ claims is a damaged bronze plate with the inscription “For their return home, the Greeks dedicate this offering to Athena.” Quintus Smyrnaeus refers to the particular plate in his epic poem “Posthomerica.” The plate was also found on the site.

“The carbon dating tests and other analysis have all suggested that the wooden pieces and other artifacts date from the 12th or 11th centuries B.C.,” says Professor Morris. “This matches the dates cited for the Trojan War, by many ancient historians like Eratosthenes or Proclus. The assembly of the work also matches the description made by many sources. I don’t want to sound overconfident, but I’m pretty certain that we found the real thing!”

Continued - Archaeologists Claim They’ve Discovered the Trojan Horse in Turkey

Last edited:
Tell that to Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan. haha

Atilla the Hun

Napoleon

Etc

All a bunch of uppity vajayjays, if you ask me. They were subjugators whose strength was gained from the backs of others who were subservient to them. Where's the glory in that? Pft.

Last edited:

Well that's just...like...the blogger's opinion. Itself unconvincing.

Well that's just...like...the blogger's opinion. Itself unconvincing.
Well, when it is a word for word copy of an article from 7 years ago, it sounds like coprolite to me.

Especially since it starts out with "Turkish Archaeologists", then it seems it was discovered by two Americans.

And two Americans that do not even exist. There was no “Christine Morris” or “Chris Wilson” associated with Boston City College. Neither 7 years ago, or today.

You just fell for a steaming pile of crap, that is all. Which is why for decades I have been telling people to vette their sources.

Well, when it is a word for word copy of an article from 7 years ago, it sounds like coprolite to me.

Especially since it starts out with "Turkish Archaeologists", then it seems it was discovered by two Americans.

And two Americans that do not even exist. There was no “Christine Morris” or “Chris Wilson” associated with Boston City College. Neither 7 years ago, or today.

You just fell for a steaming pile of crap, that is all. Which is why for decades I have been telling people to vette their sources.

Yeah, pretty much.

It wasn't really the age of the article that makes me think it's a hoax. Heck, not even the source itself.

But the spin on the so-called archeologists does lend to a good bullshit story.

So far as the trojan horse discovery itself goes anyway.

I tend to believe most mythological figures are based on real people. I think there really was a King Arthur, Robin Hood, maybe even Paul Bunyan was real.

I tend to believe most mythological figures are based on real people. I think there really was a King Arthur, Robin Hood, maybe even Paul Bunyan was real.

This goes way back even before Joseph Campbell, but he helped to codify the concept of "world mythos".

Basically, almost all archetypes have a basis in reality. Which when examined logically can be used to point out how similar a great many different legends are.

And it goes even beyond that. To give an idea, here is a very old mythology, see if anybody can recognize it.

Two brothers who are deities. Now which brother is older often changes, but one is more favored of their "Father", so is selected to become the leader of the gods after him. The other brother is a "trickster" god. Often both hindering the other deities, especially his brother. They have a kind of "frenemy" relationship in fact. he is often seen as making fun of the other brother, trying to do things to make him look bad. He is sometimes seen as "evil", but he himself sees it as being a balance, as too much good is actually a bad thing. He does things like steal fire from the Gods and gives it to man, as well as the secrets of pottery and agriculture. And his brother still loves him, and he loves his brother, even though he is most commonly the butt of the pranks.

Now I am positive this is very familiar to any that have studied Norse mythology, or seen the MCU movies. However, I was actually not describing Thor and Loki, but Coyote and Wolf. And the comparisons between them are actually striking. Coyote even by the Indians was not seen as evil, just one who could not be fully trusted. And even if the tribe was in the American North-West, South-West, or East Coast, almost all have almost the exact same myths of Coyote. Although some instead call him Rabbit, or sometimes Spider.

Now it gets really interesting. In West and Central African folklore, the same place is held by Anansi. Most commonly a spider, but among some tribes seen as a rabbit. Many of the exact same myths about Ananasi exist as do around Loki and Coyote. And to add yet another layer, read the "Br'er Rabbit" stories. Or see the movie if you can find them. I find it sad that many consider them "Racist", as Joel Chandler Harris actually listened to the "folk tales" passed among the slaves, and tried to write down as many of them as he could in the original vernacular so they could be saved and not lost to time.

And among the slaves, the stories of Ananasi normally was in the Rabbit persona, and most of the tales of Br'er Rabbit are actually very ancient African mythology. Simply changed slightly, to fit in with the world-view of the slaves.

For those that do not know, "Br'er Rabbit" in the stories represents the slaves themselves. Br'er Fox represented the Plantation Owners. Br'er Bear was the poor "white trash" overseers that were paid poor wages by the plantation owners to exploit the slaves. In reality, it was quite revolutionary, and the stories were widely known all through the South. Even before Mr. Chandler put them to print, Robert Roosevelt (uncle of Teddy Roosevelt) had printed some of the stories in "Harper's Weekly". And the President himself in his autobiography commented on the stories himself as his mother was from Georgia.

Africa, North America, Northern Europe. And it can not be forgotten that among the Greeks, the duties of Coyote were split among Hermes and Prometheus. Once again, one of the creator gods, who then stole the "Holy Fire", and gave it to man.

I am actually also an author, and it struck me long ago how similar a great many myths are, even is a continent away and no contact was made in tens of thousands of years. Almost every culture has a "Robin Hood", "King Arthur", "Liberator", "Fire Bringer", and even a rebellious son (sometimes brother) who is forced to rule "Hell", but still seeks forgiveness.

And when thought of, is that in itself not a strange concept? Son tries to overthrow the father, yet is given lordship over another realm as important as their own? Not killed, not maimed and left to wander, but to rule another realm. A sovereign in their own right. Call him Satan, the Devil, Orcus, Pluto, Hades, Hecate, Hel, or almost any other.

And almost all are surrounded by water, and either a boat or bridge is required to cross to the "afterlife".

Yes, I believe that all were in at least some form "real". Oh, not as in Gods, but at a minimum very early pre-paleolithic events, passed into stories, then passed into legends and lore as humans spread throughout the planet. And over time morphed into what they saw in their own environment. Then on occasion, somebody recalls those old legends. How often do we hear of a "Modern Day Robin Hood"? Or see a leader-ruler compared to Arthur? Heck, Tolkien wrote extensively of it in an altered form. And Any who watch Star Wars, you are seeing George Lucas' interpretation of Joseph Campbell into a sci-fi serial format.

Probably an allegorical story, and meant to be a lesson; bribing people to sneak around opening gates of cities was an old, and effective, tactic for taking cities for thousands of years. The Muslims used it all the time, especially in their invasions of Spain.

Sorry the Jews were never in Egypt

Actually, they were. That is unquestioned.

1018316866.jpg

This is actually a rather well known and distinctive clothing style of the "Proto-Hebrews" in the time of around 2,000 BCE. In fact, Egyptian history is littered with references to their arriving, and the internal conflict with them. In fact, the clothing style is even remembered in their own writing, as the "Coat of Many Colors". Murals of the era were covered with images of them, their arrival, their living there, the conflicts with them, then their expulsion.

However, historically and ethnically, the Jews at that time were just a band of Canaanites who were themselves expelled over religious issues, and migrated to Egypt. And no, most were not made slaves, but some of them were as they also practiced slavery at the time. And they did not flee, they were ejected by the Egyptians. Then went back to Canaan, and took back their "traditional homeland" from those who remained.

But from an oral history angle, it sounds better that they went there from drought, became overlords then were enslaved, then fought for their freedom. But that is largely just propaganda added in over the roughly 1,500 years before they were finally written down.

This is actually all told in the Bible, but from their own viewpoint after thousands of years as oral history before being written down over a thousand years later. The history all matches, as does the locations and times. You just have to use the Bible as a guideline, and not the absolute truth.

And it does not even need to be that old. We in the US do it all the time ourselves. The Revolution was because we wanted Independence from a King. The Civil War was to free the slaves. WWII started when Germany invaded Poland. Germany was defeated in WWI. It is often amazing how much of what people believe of history is actually wrong.

Forum List

Back