Are religious people happier than non-believers?

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
Belonging is a very powerful need. Man is a social animal so it is only logical that being around people would be uplifting and fulfilling. It is not religion, per se - belief in God or belief in the tenets of a faith, etc. - that makes people happier. It is the fellowship and supportive relationships that provide a sense of contentment.

Here is an article you may enjoy reading. It makes some very interesting points.

"Are religious people happier than atheists?"

During the past 30 years or so, a slew of studies have suggested that religious people tend to be happier and healthier, on average, than those who describe themselves as non-religious.

In fact, some research has found that people who regularly attend religious services can expect to live an average of seven years longer than their peers who never step inside a church, synagogue or mosque.

For years these kinds of studies have been construed as bad news for the 15 percent of Americans who cite “none” as their religious affiliation. But, as Sandra Upson points out in an article this month in Scientific American Mind, non-religious individuals and atheists (for they are not necessarily the same) needn’t worry.

New research has found “that the positive effects of religion depend enormously on where you live,” writes Upson. “Religious people may be happier than their godless counterparts, but only if the society they belong to values religion highly, which not all societies do.”

In other words, the “happiness premium" that previous research has found among religious people stems not from those individuals' religious beliefs, but from the social support they receive from being part of a community of like-minded people.

Are religious people happier than atheists? | MinnPost

Copyright. Link Each Only paste a small to medium section of the material

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't read all of that but the premise that atheists don't feel like they belong to their belief is wrong.

And most who say they believe in a super being do not attend a church so that doesn't really do it either.

OTOH, I do think that religious people probably do get great comfort from their belief. But, that's because they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. They can do and say pretty much what they want and are still guaranteed a seat on the bus.

I say, go with whatever gets you through the night. If you need to believe in a magic sky fairy, go for it.

It is important to read the entire article because it discusses new research. Anyway here are some of the more important segments...

"...the positive effects of religion depend enormously on where you live,” writes Upson. “Religious people may be happier than their godless counterparts, but only if the society they belong to values religion highly, which not all societies do.”

In other words, the “happiness premium" that previous research has found among religious people stems not from those individuals' religious beliefs, but from the social support they receive from being part of a community of like-minded people."

Belief in God or gods is not a prerequisite for a pleasurable existence, although it can make life easier,” she concludes. “Socializing with like-minded people on a regular basis, and living and working in a supportive community, can offer many of the same benefits.”

Or, as one researcher told Upson: “Religion can certainly help people to be happier, but other things can help you do the same thing. A peaceful, cooperative society, even in the absence of religion, seems to have the same effect.""

Belonging is a very powerful need. Man is a social animal so it is only logical that being around people would be uplifting and fulfilling. It is not religion, per se - belief in God or belief in the tenets of a faith, etc. - that makes people happier. It is the fellowship and supportive relationships that provide a sense of contentment.

Here is an article you may enjoy reading. It makes some very interesting points.

During the past 30 years or so, a slew of studies have suggested that religious people tend to be happier and healthier, on average, than those who describe themselves as non-religious.

In fact, some research has found that people who regularly attend religious services can expect to live an average of seven years longer than their peers who never step inside a church, synagogue or mosque.

For years these kinds of studies have been construed as bad news for the 15 percent of Americans who cite “none” as their religious affiliation. But, as Sandra Upson points out in an article this month in Scientific American Mind, non-religious individuals and atheists (for they are not necessarily the same) needn’t worry.

New research has found “that the positive effects of religion depend enormously on where you live,” writes Upson. “Religious people may be happier than their godless counterparts, but only if the society they belong to values religion highly, which not all societies do.”

In other words, the “happiness premium" that previous research has found among religious people stems not from those individuals' religious beliefs, but from the social support they receive from being part of a community of like-minded people.

This information all depends on which liars made the studies.

You're right! Here's another study published April 10 [2013] in the Journal of Religion & Health which showed that "people who believe in an angry, vengeful god are more likely to suffer from social anxiety, paranoia, obsessional thinking, and compulsions."

Researchers reached this conclusion after analyzing responses of 1,426 Americans to a 2010 poll on religion. Poll respondents who indicated belief in a deity were placed in three categories -- those who believed in a punitive god, those who believed in a benevolent god, and those who believed in a deistic (uninvolved) god. Then the researchers looked at the prevalence of emotional problems in each group. What exactly did the researchers find? Symptoms of mental illness were more common among those in the punitive god group than in the deistic god or benevolent god groups. Does that mean believing in an angry god can make you crazy?
Not necessarily.

Religion & Mental Health: New Study Links Belief In 'Punitive God' To Emotional Problems

You're right! Here's another study published April 10 [2013] in the Journal of Religion & Health which showed that "people who believe in an angry, vengeful god are more likely to suffer from social anxiety, paranoia, obsessional thinking, and compulsions."

Researchers reached this conclusion after analyzing responses of 1,426 Americans to a 2010 poll on religion. Poll respondents who indicated belief in a deity were placed in three categories -- those who believed in a punitive god, those who believed in a benevolent god, and those who believed in a deistic (uninvolved) god. Then the researchers looked at the prevalence of emotional problems in each group. What exactly did the researchers find? Symptoms of mental illness were more common among those in the punitive god group than in the deistic god or benevolent god groups. Does that mean believing in an angry god can make you crazy?
Not necessarily.

Religion & Mental Health: New Study Links Belief In 'Punitive God' To Emotional Problems

I'm talking about the liars who MADE the studies, not the groups they were studying.

It's very easy to set up various test groups and make comments from your own lying perspective. If a Christian was used in studying other Christians, how do you think the results will be?

If a depressed scientist sets up a study about depression, how do you think the results will be?

If a happy go lucky atheist sets up a study on who ( theists or atheists ) is happy or not, what do you think the results will be?

All studies are set up by liars who have no idea what the Truth is.

Didn't read all of that but the premise that atheists don't feel like they belong to their belief is wrong.

And most who say they believe in a super being do not attend a church so that doesn't really do it either.

OTOH, I do think that religious people probably do get great comfort from their belief. But, that's because they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. They can do and say pretty much what they want and are still guaranteed a seat on the bus.

I say, go with whatever gets you through the night. If you need to believe in a magic sky fairy, go for it.

Bullshit, and a really ignorant response. First of all, for believers there are consequences for their behaviors, and not just on a spiritual level. Also, you're not considering the religious people who struggle with their faith and/or even feel stress by not being able to reconcile everything with God. It often takes a lot of work to maintain a healthy relationship between God, family, work, society, etc. In some ways it's a lot easier to be a non-believer.

"Are religious people happier than non-believers?"

Based upon the many people I have known from both groups, I would answer with a resounding, YES.

I'm talking about the liars who MADE the studies, not the groups they were studying.

It's very easy to set up various test groups and make comments from your own lying perspective.
Respondents were asked certain questions. The study results were based on their feedback.

I do believe that people who believe in something Higher than themselves, something beyond these bunch of bones and mortal flesh, are indeed happier.

My humble opinion. :)

just to add

It has nothing to do with Religion, but with Spirituality. Big difference.

Last edited:
I do believe that people who believe in something Higher than themselves, something beyond these bunch of bones and mortal flesh, are indeed happier.

just to add

I agree with this. Religion is a mechanical application of a set of ideals made by man, spirituality is ethereal in nature, comes from within with the guidelines set by the soul.

For me life always seems to be ass backwards so bear with me. I met the devil and his minions in this house from hell so consequently there has to be some good guys out there. Y'all can look it up on your own. We're actually known as a house from hell. On tour books it seems. How fun is that?

This house was taken over. A portal blasted thru and whoa geeze the story is your nightmare of nightmares..

This is when you go. Okey dokey. If there is a Jehovah let me see him now. And there was. Amen there was. So I believe.

just to add

I agree with this. Religion is a mechanical application of a set of ideals made by man, spirituality is ethereal in nature, comes from within with the guidelines set by the soul.

I wish more would understand the difference. It's but a prayer.

just to add

I wish more would understand the difference. It's but a prayer.

For me it is a state of being. How I conduct myself, treat others and celebrate life is a manifestation of my spirituality and is a testament to my spiritual health.

Copyright. Link Each Only paste a small to medium section of the material

Being happy or not depends on so many variables, nailing down which are in effect resulting in either answer is almost impossible. And limiting it to religious or not certainly makes it impossible. Good quote though from Jim Carrey about happiness:

"I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer." - Jim Carrey

Happiness is just an emotion that changes throughout the day. The better term would be "peace". Once you have the knowledge of God, you can be at peace no matter where you are.

One has to define happiness at first.

and one can find that the definition is not the same for those who are religious/spiritual ( never understand why is it being distinguished as it is basically the same) and atheist are glaringly opposite.

Forum List

Back