Are we so Societally Evolved as to render the Constitiution (2nd Amend.) Antiquated...

No. It's a symptom of ridiculous gun policy.
I'm not accepting the OP notion that we've somehow evolved. I don't think there's any proof we are more, or less, violent than we were in 1788. Guns are a lot more effective. LOL

Agreed. Devolved in some ways. Even wild west towns banned firearms within city limits.
yeah, the folks who view the Second as somehow special and different from other amendments tend to overlook restrictions that were in place in the 18th and 19th centuries. But those restrictions did not limit the means for law abiding citizens to defend themselves. I wish Scalia had taken an extra page or two in Heller to get to that.

What "restrictions" where those? in the 1920s you could walk into a hardware store and buy a Thompson submachine gun.
And the federal govt outlawed Thompsons for private purchase. Funny how that worked, angry obscene child.

False.

You can buy a Thompson today.

[
You said there were "restrictions in the 18th and 19th centuries." What were they?

Funny how you avoided answering my question.

Funny thing, most of the Stalinists will point out that the Earps had a gun ban in Tombstone. What they FAIL to tell you is that Judge Spicer ruled their gun ban UNCONSTITUTIONAL after the OK Corral.

My own suspicion is that they wrote it so "open to interpretation" to kick the can down the road. They had to get approval from everyone--so they wrote it in a way that all could read into it what they wanted to see.
The rest of the Constitution is clear. The way the 2nd is worded? Not so much.

The Second Amendment is perfectly worded and crystal clear.

The issues come from ignorant people who, unlike the framers of our Constitution have not a clue about the purpose of punctuation. They pretend it does not exist.

2ndAmendment-L.jpg

commassavelives-S.jpg

You people on the Alt Right are losing any cred you had.

Watch for the end of your movement when Mueller reports to the people.

When Congressman William Jefferson was caught taking bribes, did that end the Democratic Party? When Duke Cunningham was convicted did it end the Republicans? Union bosses keep getting caught stealing and racketeering but Unions aren’t discredited. So even if your fondest fantasy comes true, and Trump himself is marched out of the White House in cuffs, do you think that will end the conservative ideology?

When Nancy Pelosi is exposed as an anti union business owner, she got re-elected. When she exempted American Samoa from the minimum wage increase, was she the death of the liberal ideology?

Billy Graham is dead, does that mean evangelical Christians are extinct?

Formula 1 raced on after Ayrton Senna died in an accident on the track.

In my lifetime, the Republican Party has been declared dead many times. When Nixon resigned, it was dead. When Bill Clinton won, the Republicans were dead as a party. When Newt lost the House and resigned, it was dead.

Hollywood continues even after dozens, or even hundreds of men behave badly. The actions of one, or even a few, do not discredit an ideal, and never have. The ideal must be defeated, not just the current figurehead. Women got the vote because the idea that they were too irrational to be trusted with the vote was discredited. Segregation was defeated not by destroying some ignorant Sheriff, nor by exposing a fool of a Governor. It was discredited as a valid and rational argument.

Vietnam wasn’t lost because of a picture of a burned little girl, nor of a VC officer being executed. It was lost because the illusion of American Military might was destroyed. The lies were exposed. It wasn’t Nixon, or Ford, or LBJ.

I'm not accepting the OP notion that we've somehow evolved. I don't think there's any proof we are more, or less, violent than we were in 1788. Guns are a lot more effective. LOL

Agreed. Devolved in some ways. Even wild west towns banned firearms within city limits.
yeah, the folks who view the Second as somehow special and different from other amendments tend to overlook restrictions that were in place in the 18th and 19th centuries. But those restrictions did not limit the means for law abiding citizens to defend themselves. I wish Scalia had taken an extra page or two in Heller to get to that.

What "restrictions" where those? in the 1920s you could walk into a hardware store and buy a Thompson submachine gun.
And the federal govt outlawed Thompsons for private purchase. Funny how that worked, angry obscene child.

False.

Thompson as a company went bankrupt. The models today are semi automatic replicas.

False.

Thompson as a company went bankrupt. The models today are semi automatic replicas.

One can buy a 1945 fully automatic M1A1 today. It is not illegal to buy such a weapon. You do need a permit, but you can still buy one.

Oh, and that is a REAL assault rifle, the AR-15 is not.

Why do so many here think that the SCOTUS is the 'end and be all' authority on Constitutionality when that same body reverses its self from time to time over the years. Do people not know that those 9 justices can be removed if they mess up 'exhibit bad behavior'. They are mere mortals and capable of bias, self serving interests, petty prejudice etc. and all the other crap that the rest of us 'mere mortals' deal with. Let's not glorify what they say or what "constitutional experts" (like Obama) opine on. The Constitution doesn't really need experts anyway, it wasn't designed to be read or interpreted by experts. We had just rid ourselves from the convoluted intricacies of the Parliamentary system with a big F U the the King of England. A couple centuries later & we now need "experts" to re-write --- O, I mean interpret this document for us.
But we don't define "bad behavior" as "making decisions we disagree with." At least we don't yet.

Progressives have for decades.

False.

I really am tempted to buy one, have fired one once. It's just hard to justify a couple K on a relic when there's utilitarian technology that really should take precedence on the 'to buy list'.

False.

I really am tempted to buy one, have fired one once. It's just hard to justify a couple K on a relic when there's utilitarian technology that really should take precedence on the 'to buy list'.

It is a powerful weapon that helped defeat the Nazis, but I'm not in a war......

Well, the civil war with democrat traitors, but they aren't much of a threat....

Explain to us how we are less free today, professor.

A piece of cake. Thank former President Barack Hussein Obama.

United States Drops In Overall Freedom Ranking
CASEY HARPER
5:06 PM 08/18/2015

A new report on the freedom of countries around the world ranks the United States 20th, putting countries like Chile and the United Kingdom ahead of the U.S.

The U.S. was ranked 17th in 2008, but a steady decline of economic freedom and “rule of law” has dropped the level of freedom, according to the Cato Institute, Fraser Institute and the Swiss Liberales Institut, which created the study together.

Co-author of the report Ian Vasquez told The Daily Caller News Foundation that the steady growth of government and increased regulations of business and labor contribute to the U.S. low rating.

[...]

Based on those measures, here are the top 25 countries.

1. Hong Kong

2. Switzerland

3. Finland

4. Denmark

5. New Zealand

6. Canada

7. Australia

8. Ireland

9. United Kingdom

10. Sweden

11. Norway

12. Austria

12. Germany

14. Iceland

14. Netherlands

16. Malta

17. Luxembourg

18. Chile

19. Mauritius

And then finally..

20. United States

Just after the U.S.,

21. Czech Republic

22. Estonia

22. Belgium

24. Taiwan

25. Portugal

“The U.S. performance is worrisome and shows that the United States can no longer claim to be the leading bastion of liberty in the world,” Vasquez wrote.”In addition to the expansion of the regulatory state and drop in economic freedom, the war on terror, the war on drugs, and the erosion of property rights due to greater use of eminent domain all likely have contributed to the U.S. decline.”

United States Drops In Overall Freedom Ranking

When Congressman William Jefferson was caught taking bribes, did that end the Democratic Party? When Duke Cunningham was convicted did it end the Republicans? Union bosses keep getting caught stealing and racketeering but Unions aren’t discredited. So even if your fondest fantasy comes true, and Trump himself is marched out of the White House in cuffs, do you think that will end the conservative ideology?

When Nancy Pelosi is exposed as an anti union business owner, she got re-elected. When she exempted American Samoa from the minimum wage increase, was she the death of the liberal ideology?

In my lifetime, the Republican Party has been declared dead many times. When Nixon resigned, it was dead. When Bill Clinton won, the Republicans were dead as a party. When Newt lost the House and resigned, it was dead.

Hollywood continues even after dozens, or even hundreds of men behave badly. The actions of one, or even a few, do not discredit an ideal, and never have. The ideal must be defeated, not just the current figurehead. Women got the vote because the idea that they were too irrational to be trusted with the vote was discredited. Segregation was defeated not by destroying some ignorant Sheriff, nor by exposing a fool of a Governor. It was discredited as a valid and rational argument.

Vietnam wasn’t lost because of a picture of a burned little girl, nor of a VC officer being executed. It was lost because the illusion of American Military might was destroyed. The lies were exposed. It wasn’t Nixon, or Ford, or LBJ.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FIRST CONSERVATIVE PARTY, THE FEDERALISTS? THE NEXT ONE WOULD BE THE WHIGS.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FIRST CONSERVATIVE PARTY, THE FEDERALISTS? THE NEXT ONE WOULD BE THE WHIGS.

The names changed, the ideals really did not. Describe the difference between the Federalists and the Republicans.

What is scary is the leftwingnut version of evolution is censoring free speech also. Really weird time we live in. Fully support a background check and completion of a professional class in firearms before being able to purchase though since speech cannot penetrate the skin.

You clearly do not understand American politics. Nixon went down. If there is Russian collusion or money laundering or other such malfeasances, President Twitler will go down. You simply do not understand America.

The names changed, the ideals really did not. Describe the difference between the Federalists and the Republicans.
Federalists were true to the conservative ideal, the alt right of the GOP are not.

I think "we" could be anyone who has a dictionary and can comprehend reading at the 10th grade level.
`
Ah yes, the old "I read the constitution, therefore I'm a constitutional expert" theory. In your case, it was a coloring book.
`

And yet, neither you nor any other Marxist here has read the document. You have the ThinkProgress interpretation but no idea what is actually in the document.

Uncensored2008 yet again reveals he does not understand the Constitution, uses terms he does not understand like 'marxism', and he is hopelessly out of touch with reality.

I think "we" could be anyone who has a dictionary and can comprehend reading at the 10th grade level.
`
Ah yes, the old "I read the constitution, therefore I'm a constitutional expert" theory. In your case, it was a coloring book.
`

Well, first, I didn't say I was an expert, though I obviously understand it better than you. And as for your coloring book comment, is there anything that says, "I really have no argument." more than that sort of juvenile taunt?

Forum List

Back