Arizona Senate Passes Bill Allowing Business Owners To Refuse Service To Gays

Which business doesn't need a license?
It depends on the type of business and location. You can look it up if you're interested.
Actually businesses are places of pubic accommodation. For example here is the Arizona definition:

2. "Places of public accommodation" means all public places of entertainment, amusement or recreation, all public places where food or beverages are sold for consumption on the premises, all public places which are conducted for the lodging of transients or for the benefit, use or accommodation of those seeking health or recreation and all establishments which cater or offer their services, facilities or goods to or solicit patronage from the members of the general public. Any dwelling as defined in section 41-1491, or any private club, or any place which is in its nature distinctly private is not a place of public accommodation. "
That describes a very small percentage of businesses.
It's interesting that you left out the non-biological choice of religion which is also protected.
It's interesting that you think it's interesting.

Which business doesn't need a license?
It depends on the type of business and location. You can look it up if you're interested.
Actually businesses are places of pubic accommodation. For example here is the Arizona definition:

2. "Places of public accommodation" means all public places of entertainment, amusement or recreation, all public places where food or beverages are sold for consumption on the premises, all public places which are conducted for the lodging of transients or for the benefit, use or accommodation of those seeking health or recreation and all establishments which cater or offer their services, facilities or goods to or solicit patronage from the members of the general public. Any dwelling as defined in section 41-1491, or any private club, or any place which is in its nature distinctly private is not a place of public accommodation. "
That describes a very small percentage of businesses.
It's interesting that you left out the non-biological choice of religion which is also protected.
It's interesting that you think it's interesting.

Which business doesn't need a license? Prove it, or shut it....

Have you admitted you were wrong about what this law will do yet? If not, you have no business in lecturing anybody about anything even touching on this topic.

So what. It's called hate. This and all the other Republican duct tape fails will cement Republican failure in 2014 and 2016.

I think they take the senate in 14, but there are a lot more goper sen seats up in 16 than dems, and the dems run a sane candidate against another crazy goper senate .... There will be blood.

If the middle class wants to survive they need a clear majority of Congress in 2014.

I think another state passed something similar to this last week so this must be a trend that is catching on. I agree with this bill that if you are a business owner and believe in and live by your faith that you should be able to refuse service to whoever you want.

Arizona Senate: Business owners can cite religion to refuse service to gays
Arizona Senate: Business owners can cite religion to refuse service to gays

My big question is why would any gay person want to give anyone their business if they don't want it? Would you want your wedding catered by people who disapprove of your life? I wouldn't. I am sure there are many fine caterers and other businesses who gladly accept gay customers and I would say take your business where it's appreciated and forget the rest.

The irony of all of this is that there is nothing gayer than a big wedding with all the trimmings,

no matter who's getting married.

I own and operate a store in Arizona.
I open when and if I determine I want to, not when I am 'told' to.
I own the store, which is private property...I own it.
I open the store at MY will, not at the will of the 'public'.(that is because I own it)
You may visit my store, remember it is private property, and I can serve you or not. It is my choice, because I own the store.
I can refuse to serve you for any reason, including because you are dispruptive, scare my other customers, or simply because you look like your a gay activist. I can call the darn cops and have you removed if you won't go.
Do I routinely refuse to serve folks or toss them out? No, not as a routine, but I have thrown people out. I have had people arrested because they expressed this 'public business' BS.
that clear enough?

Arizona Senate Passes Bill Allowing Business Owners To Refuse Service To Gays

Can't blame them...a hot dog in the hands of a gay man can be dangerous...especially the foot long.

I open the store at MY will, not at the will of the 'public'.(that is because I own it)
You may visit my store, remember it is private property, and I can serve you or not. It is my choice, because I own the store.
I can refuse to serve you for any reason, including because you are dispruptive, scare my other customers, or simply because you look like your a gay activist. I can call the darn cops and have you removed if you won't go.
Do I routinely refuse to serve folks or toss them out? No, not as a routine, but I have thrown people out. I have had people arrested because they expressed this 'public business' BS.
that clear enough?

Gay's aren't protected by Arizona's Public Accommodation laws.

However tell a black person, in front of neutral witnesses, that you don't serve blacks, or a Jewish person that you don't serve Jews. But race and religion are protected under Arizona's Public Accommodation laws and and repeat the same line to the Judge whose can issue a fine or revoke your business license.

Just say'n...

.................Easy to talk big on a anonymous message board.

Should you be able to do that? Absolutely, but that isn't the law in Arizona.

>>>>

that clear enough?

However tell a black person, in front of neutral witnesses, that you don't serve blacks, or a Jewish person that you don't serve Jews. But race and religion are protected under Arizona's Public Accommodation laws and and repeat the same line to the Judge whose can issue a fine or revoke your business license.

Just say'n...

>>>>

I have never, ever refused service based on anything more than in-my-store-behavior. I have no idea if it is legal to refuse to serve based on race, it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.

However, I have tossed several people out through the years, white, black, hispanic....the cops always take them if i call them. The smart ones go before that happens.

Again, I own it. I can and do operate as i see fit. My business license will not be revoked as long as I pay my sales tax. Maybe in the "peoples republics" (the eastern states) a business can be told how to operate, but here it is on me to decide.

that clear enough?

Just say'n...

>>>>

I have never, ever refused service based on anything more than in-my-store-behavior.

Didn't say you did.

I have no idea if it is legal to refuse to serve based on race, it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.

It is (illegal that is), I linked to the law earlier in the thread. As a responsible business owner you might want to go and read it.

However, I have tossed several people out through the years, white, black, hispanic....the cops always take them if i call them. The smart ones go before that happens.

Nothing wrong with having to toss people when the need arrises.

However if you toss them out BECAUSE they are white, black, or hispanic - then you have violated the law.

Again, I own it. I can and do operate as i see fit. My business license will not be revoked as long as I pay my sales tax. Maybe in the "peoples republics" (the eastern states) a business can be told how to operate, but here it is on me to decide.

:SHRUG:

Believe as you wish. Elaine Photography probably thought the same thing in New Mexico - they lost.

Not only did they lose in lower courts organizations defended them. It went all the way to the New Mexico Supreme court who upheld costs against the photography company of over $6,000.

BTW - Do you think that New Mexico is one of those "peoples republics" (the eastern states)? I mean, I know New Mexico is to the east of Arizona, but it's not that far east.

>>>>

new mexico is more like a 'peoples republic' than az. I can believe it in NM.

Look you fascists, if you wanna determine how MY store is operated, it is very simple.
Give ME $395,000.00 and the store becomes yours to do with as you wish.
Otherwise, respect my private property as I respect yours.

new mexico is more like a 'peoples republic' than az. I can believe it in NM.

Look you fascists, if you wanna determine how MY store is operated, it is very simple.
Give ME $395,000.00 and the store becomes yours to do with as you wish.
Otherwise, respect my private property as I respect yours.

I think Public Accommodation laws should be repealed as they (IMHO) violate the property rights and free association rights of the property owner and the ability to conduct business of their personal property and their labor in a manner they choose.

However, my opinion of the what the law should be and the reality of what the law is are two different things. If you really are a business owner learning the difference might be something for you to explore.

BTW - I've been called many things in my military career and since, but "fascist" has never been one.

>>>>

Last edited:
The ruling in Elaine Photography was the correct one. If Elaine had not advertised wedding photography she could have tossed them out on their asses.

Civil rights act does not cover discrimination because of BEHAVIOR... gay is not a race or a sex..

Speaking from a legal aspect, sure it does. Religion is a BEHAVIOR... religion is not a race or a sex...

>>>>

Unless i am wearing some kind of sign about what religion I am how can anyone discriminate against me based on my religion?

Well, to be fair, there are religions that require certain modes of dress. It is also very possible for people dressed in the costumes of their native countries to be assumed to belong to the dominant religion of that country, whether they are or not.

I am hoping lots of gay men frequent these places and act straight until the check comes, then tip well and let them know they served gays.

I am hoping you figure out how many people don't actually give a shit, because this exaggerated sense of persecution is getting old.

Also, would you like to explain to me why it's perfectly okay to you for one group to get up in another's and be offensive, but it's not okay for the second group to return the favor? Why has it been okay for the gay activists to be "here, queer, and IN YOUR FACE!" in service of "raising public awareness" or whatever the fuck they think they're doing, but when it brings the inevitable backlash of people objecting, THAT is unacceptably offensive, and requires . . . even more in-your-face offensiveness in response.

What's wrong with just living and letting live? Why do you HAVE to make people do business with you and tolerate you and approve of you if they don't want to? You certainly seem outraged by the idea that YOU should be tolerant of THEM.

Some much for "love the sinner and only hate the sin".

These people are all about hate, hate, hate across the board.

Why do they continue to call themselves Christians?

Christ never said a goddamn word about Gays.

The only "man lies with man" line in the OT is taken way out of historical / cultural context.

These are the same people who used the bible to justify slavery.

These are the same people who used the bible to justify segregation.

And now they're again using to the bible to justify their own fears and insecurities.

And you are qualified in what way to tell Christians how to practice their faith, Billy Graham? Who are you again, that you erroneously believe the world is waiting with baited breath for you to share your "wisdom" on religion?

Why are people so determined to force their beliefs on others. Why does it matter if someone has a different religion, sexual orientation, race, or shoe size?

What religion says that you can't allow certain people in your store? It's not like a gay person is going to go into someone's store and try to force the owner to do some gay sacrilegious act.

Who is this law protecting?

From what?

Really? You're really unaware of gay activists targeting businesses with lawsuits for refusing to participate in their wedding ceremonies? What rock have you been hiding under, son? And why are you wasting space in a thread about a topic you haven't bothered to be informed on? Get out, get educated, and then come back.

The ruling in Elaine Photography was the correct one. If Elaine had not advertised wedding photography she could have tossed them out on their asses.

Remember back in the day... all the homo's wanted was equal treatment under the law. Weren't going to infringe on any religions or force people to do anything. They just wanted legal standing as a couple like anyone else. You know, things like taxes and visitation in hospitals, just those kind of things.

Fast forward about two years and now the same arguments we made then are coming true. They don't want equality they want special treatment your religion or feelings be damned. Equality isn't good enough, you WILL accomodate us as special people or else! F*ck your religion! F*ck your conscience! Bake me a cake or I will sue you!

Is making a business owner make you something very far from forcing the Catholic church to perform your scam of a marriage ceremony? Really? If your religious freedom is trumped by the homo agenda in business what's to keep them from going after your ceremonies? It's not far fetched at all to think there will be a lawsuit against a church very soon for not holding a gay wedding reception in their building. Not that the gays care but they can put that stick in your eye as a church member and they will do it for a sense of self rightious revenge and just to be assholes.

Just like I knew they would do.

Reload this Page Arizona Senate Passes Bill Allowing Business Owners To Refuse Service To Gays

No different than refusing to serve blacks. I love it when cons expose their bigotry and hate for everyone to see. It makes it so easy for liberals to win elections.

Is it really beyond you to comprehend defending something because it's the right thing to do, not because you personally agree with or benefit from it? Are you really that self-absorbed?

Never mind. You're a leftist, so of course you are. Forget I asked.

Q: Why do leftists have trouble comprehending standing up for a principle?

A: Because leftists have no principles.

Forum List

Back