Arizona Senate Passes Bill Allowing Business Owners To Refuse Service To Gays

There is no known teaching in all of Christianity, traceable to the Bible, that commands that a good Christian must refuse to do business with a homosexual.

Therefore the idea that such is a Christian belief is merely an invention. If one can invent 'religious' beliefs on a whim,

and then use the law to act on those 'religious' beliefs, and circumvent the rest of the Constitution in the process,

what's the point of having constitutional rights?

That probably explains why no Christian is arguing that they don't have to do business with them, and that the bill we are actually talking about here doesn't permit it to happen.

Then again, you never let inconvenient truths stop you from scaring people before, why start now?

Discrimination is the 'wrongdoing'...
So, discrimination against wrongdoing, is wrongdoing?

So, discrimination against thievery or murder or rape or perjury (other, more severe examples of wrongdoing) is wrongdoing?

Sorry... no sale.

"...Do you stand up for religious condemnation when the religion is Islam?"
I'm not a Muslim, but, it depends upon the nature and object of the condemnation.

If Muslims are rationalizing a suppression of the rights of women, I do not agree.

If Muslims are condemning homosexuality as aberration, then I do agree.

Your mileage may vary.

Even the 3% have rights

And the majority if the 97% recognize it
Indeed...

Most of the surviving mainstream religions in the world view homosexuality as an aberration and anathema...

That puts Homosexuals into a category unlike any other...

People have spin-doctored Sacred Texts to squeeze out marginal rationalizations for discriminating against other folks based upon religion or skin-color or the like...

But no such stretch of the imagination is required, to discern the absolute condemnation we find for homosexuality, either in various Sacred Texts or in mainstream interpretations and teachings...

Billions of good people, worldwide, have been taught that homosexuality is wrong, on any number of levels, and in any number of ways...

And huge, extremely large subsets of those billions believe that association with homosexuals or having dealings with homosexuals is also very wrong and akin to aiding and abetting the sinful and morally unclean...

Rights or no, you cannot legislate against such overwhelming power and expect to sustain that over time...

I also would not lean too heavily upon those popular polls related to support for Gay Marriage...

As more and more of the 97% come to understand that this is tantamount to legitimizing homosexuality, ways will be found to work around those so-called 'rights', in the narrow context of service provision...

The 3% have had a good run in recent years and won some considerable victories...

They will come to understand that the arrogance with which they continue to pursue theri agenda beyond a few basic rights is going to blow up in their faces...

But it is the fate of Men that they do not listen, while they are temporarily on top...

In this case, that King (or Queen) of the Hill status is not going to last very long...

There's too much power aligned (and aligning, and soon to align) against it, for it to last very long...

Or so it seems, to this observer...

Religious teachings would dictate that women are subservient to men. Why was that overturned as being false? How has it been sustained over time that women are not subservient even though all of these religious texts have never been "corrected" in this regard?

The same applies to blacks and other minorities. The religious texts that endorse slavery have not prevailed. The individual right to be treated equally has been demonstrated to supercede religious beliefs not matter how many billions have been indoctrinated by archaic and outdated mythology.

The same now applies to gays. The religious texts cannot be held to be the supreme law of the land over the rights of individuals to not be discriminated against. To allow that to happen means trashing the 1st amendment. Once that goes so does your right to the religion of your choice.

And to reiterate, it is not 97% who are opposed to the equality of the 3%. It is a fanatical subset who at most comprise 20% who are trying to deprive the 3% of their equal rights.

Idiots would lie about religious teachings to outlaw the practice of religion.

Wait, that is what you are doing already, isn't it?

Years ago people had been taught that blacks were sub human creatures that should not be given the rights of the majority. DISCRIMINATION is wrong, on any number of levels, and in any number of ways...

Almost right.

Discrimination is wrong, but government sanctioned discrimination, ie Jim Crow law, is downright evil. What you want is another Jim Crow era where the government gets to tell people what they can, and cannot, believe.

In other words, even if they are wrong for not going to a gay weeding to take pictures, which is debatable, you are evil for trying to force them to do it.

They are not forced to do it. They can quit the wedding photography business.

It might be evil to have to drive 55 mph on the highway, but the government doesn't force you to do it,

you can simply choose not to drive.

Let me guess, you think you made a point.

Guess what, you did, just not the one you think. In fact, you just proved everyone who has a problem with your position is 100% right.

Thank you.

There is no known teaching in all of Christianity, traceable to the Bible, that commands that a good Christian must refuse to do business with a homosexual...
Correct.

But there are mainstream teachings within most of the branches and offshoots of Christianity that DO teach that homosexuality is sinful or otherwise an aberration or unnatural or anathema.

And, folks logically and naturally take that one step further, and figure that if the practitioners of such perversity and aberration are sinful and unclean, that association with them (including doing business with them) is sinful and unclean or otherwise lending aid and comfort to the enemies of God, and goodness.

Go figure...
wink_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

The fact that we even have a law, or debate the legailty of freedom of association is pathetic in a supposedly free country. A business owner, in any state, for any reason, should be allowed to determine who they will provide services to.

But, LOLberals just love the idea of forcing people to do what they believe is right.

Educate yourselves you right wing fascists.

Do you know ANYTHING about the 1964 Civil Rights Act?

I bet I know more than you.

Not that that is a high bar. Fuck, rdean probably knows more about it than you, and all he can say is 6%.

REALLY? You can't even comprehend what 'rights' really are. To you, 'rights' are mob rule, and the HEAVY hand of government to inflict your rule. Good to know going forward...

Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism.
Barry Goldwater

"The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened."
President John F. Kennedy

It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others: or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own.
Thomas Jefferson

It. Does. Not. Do. That.

I think it does, for the reasons I've stated. But I appreciate the fact that you see it differently and I see no reason to rehash the debate.

How do you reconcile your belief with the actual facts in the example that you deleted from my post?

The actual facts of the case are that it grants special protections to religious people making decisions based on religious reasons (implicitly state-approved religions at that, because someone must judge whether such a claim represents a "legitimate" religious faith or not). It provides no such protection for non-religious people making exactly the same decisions for secular reasons. As I've said, I don't believe the intent of the first amendment is to grant special privileges to religions.

There is no known teaching in all of Christianity, traceable to the Bible, that commands that a good Christian must refuse to do business with a homosexual.

Therefore the idea that such is a Christian belief is merely an invention. If one can invent 'religious' beliefs on a whim,

and then use the law to act on those 'religious' beliefs, and circumvent the rest of the Constitution in the process,

what's the point of having constitutional rights?

That probably explains why no Christian is arguing that they don't have to do business with them, and that the bill we are actually talking about here doesn't permit it to happen.

Then again, you never let inconvenient truths stop you from scaring people before, why start now?

If you read the bill then you know that it revised the definition of a person:

5. "Person" includes any individual, association, partnership, corporation, church, religious assembly or institution, estate, trust, foundation or other legal entity.

Arizona pizzeria?s amazing response to state?s anti-gay bill* - NY Daily News
pizza23n-1-web.jpg

Rocco's Little Chicago Pizzeria wanted to let Arizona politicians know what the restaurant thinks about Senate Bill 1062.

An Arizona pizzeria is serving legislators a slice of humble pie.

Rocco’s Little Chicago Pizzeria in Tucson had a message for the politicians who supported a bill that allows business owners to refuse to serve gays and lesbians.

“We reserve the right to refuse service to Arizona legislators,” the sign read.

“Funny how just being decent is starting to seem radical these days,” the restaurant commented on Facebook.

Read more: Arizona pizzeria?s amazing response to state?s anti-gay bill* - NY Daily News

I think it does, for the reasons I've stated. But I appreciate the fact that you see it differently and I see no reason to rehash the debate.

How do you reconcile your belief with the actual facts in the example that you deleted from my post?

The actual facts of the case are that it grants special protections to religious people making decisions based on religious reasons (implicitly state-approved religions at that, because someone must judge whether such a claim represents a "legitimate" religious faith or not). It provides no such protection for non-religious people making exactly the same decisions for secular reasons. As I've said, I don't believe the intent of the first amendment is to grant special privileges to religions.

How do you separate a religious person from the average fag hater?

We now have state approved religions? The founding fathers would be appaled

Last edited:

How do you separate a religious person from the average fag hater?

Wait, I've heard this one.... with a crowbar?

There is no known teaching in all of Christianity, traceable to the Bible, that commands that a good Christian must refuse to do business with a homosexual...
Correct.

But there are mainstream teachings within most of the branches and offshoots of Christianity that DO teach that homosexuality is sinful or otherwise an aberration or unnatural or anathema.

And, folks logically and naturally take that one step further, and figure that if the practitioners of such perversity and aberration are sinful and unclean, that association with them (including doing business with them) is sinful and unclean or otherwise lending aid and comfort to the enemies of God, and goodness.

Go figure...
wink_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

The Bible was used to justify slavery. Does that argument fly, now, legally?

If Jesus were to walk the earth tomorrow, he'd tell social conservatives to go fuck themselves. They are truly the nastiest people in this country.

"If Jesus came back and saw what's being done in his name, he'd never stop throwing up."
- from Hannah and Her Sisters

Last edited:
"...And to reiterate, it is not 97% who are opposed to the equality of the 3%..."
Indeed.

The US Census Bureau estimates that 97% of the population of the US identifies as heterosexual, while 3% of the population identifies as something other than Straight.

Popular opinion in support of Gay Marriage has only reached a favorable tipping point very recently, if one looks as the poll results spanning a decade or two, and fickle opinion can range up and down by a dozen points at the drop of a hat.

And, given that many of those Straights temporarily or recently speaking-out as favoring Gay Marriage do not realize that this opens the door for a more holistic legitimization of homosexuality in society, which, had they contemplated that in advance, would have quite probably caused a great many to come down in the 'Opposed' column after all.

In the end, the 97% are in this together, and are differentiated from the 3%.

Time will sort this out, one way or another.

"...It is a fanatical subset who at most comprise 20% who are trying to deprive the 3% of their equal rights."
I have no idea where you pulled your 20% figure from but am content not to dispute it for now - it really doesn't matter much.

What does matter is that this is being perceived as the Legitimizing of Wrongdoing in many quarters, and, as such, it may very well prove unsustainable in the long run.

Again... time will sort that out.

Discrimination is the 'wrongdoing'...
So, discrimination against wrongdoing, is wrongdoing?

So, discrimination against thievery or murder or rape or perjury (other, more severe examples of wrongdoing) is wrongdoing?

Sorry... no sale.

"...Do you stand up for religious condemnation when the religion is Islam?"
I'm not a Muslim, but, it depends upon the nature and object of the condemnation.

If Muslims are rationalizing a suppression of the rights of women, I do not agree.

If Muslims are condemning homosexuality as aberration, then I do agree.

Your mileage may vary.

Stealing, murder, rape and perjury are against the law. Being gay is NOT.

All you are doing is justifying your wrongdoing...discrimination

Discrimination

1. the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this law singles out gays. In and of itself, that would likely render it as unconstitutional.

So, the law supposedly would allow people to deny service to people from a particular group due to sincerely held religious beliefs.

How about Christians denying service to Mormons because they see them as a cult?

How about Christians denying service to Jehovah's witnesses for similar reasons?

How about Christians denying service to Jews because they say they killed Jesus?

How about Muslims denying service to Christians?

Or Jews denying service to Muslims?

Or Muslims denying service to Jews?

If Christians want this law, will they be willing to accept the consequences if and when they THEMSELVES are discriminated against by people who claim they are simply exercising their sincerely held religious beliefs?

Maybe God has changed his mind about homosexuality.

Jesus changed his mind about polygamy, according to the Mormons.

Maybe God has changed his mind about homosexuality.

Jesus changed his mind about polygamy, according to the Mormons.

Apparently, Jesus didn't even much care for girls. Makes ya wonder about why he hung around with all those male apostles, doesn't it?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this law singles out gays. In and of itself, that would likely render it as unconstitutional.

So, the law supposedly would allow people to deny service to people from a particular group due to sincerely held religious beliefs.

How about Christians denying service to Mormons because they see them as a cult?

How about Christians denying service to Jehovah's witnesses for similar reasons?

How about Christians denying service to Jews because they say they killed Jesus?

How about Muslims denying service to Christians?

Or Jews denying service to Muslims?

Or Muslims denying service to Jews?

If Christians want this law, will they be willing to accept the consequences if and when they THEMSELVES are discriminated against by people who claim they are simply exercising their sincerely held religious beliefs?

Many "state approved" religions disapprove of war. They are within their religious rights to refuse service to the military

Forum List

Back