Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

In honor of Allie, I found some some dynamite bird items of embroidery and quilting today. (instead of finishing quilt) :lol:

You are really talented Becki. Where do you get the patience to do this? And do you sell your quilts?
Thanks, Bloodrock. My fibromyalgia ties me to a chair. I sit and sew and sit and mow.

edit: Oh, Bloodrock, I realized your question went unanswered. Sorry. No. I spent a career trying to sell my quilts at a profit in a small town, and I'm an introvert, not a salesperson, and I got fed up with everything about sales that is grievous to the spirit. I set myself free from that bondage by deciding to offer my quilts to God's purpose as a ministry of faith. Now, I'm free. :woohoo:

Last edited:
In honor of Allie, I found some some dynamite bird items of embroidery and quilting today. (instead of finishing quilt) :lol:

You are really talented Becki. Where do you get the patience to do this? And do you sell your quilts?
Thanks, Bloodrock. My fibromyalgia ties me to a chair. I sit and sew and sit and mow.

edit: Oh, Bloodrock, I realized your question went unanswered. Sorry. No. I spent a career trying to sell my quilts at a profit in a small town, and I'm an introvert, not a salesperson, and I got fed up with everything about sales that is grievous to the spirit. I set myself free from that bondage by deciding to offer my quilts to God's purpose as a ministry of faith. Now, I'm free. :woohoo:

That is sweet Becki. May God bless you and the work of your hands!

I stayed up late and finished the work on the Magic Carpet Postage Stamp Quilt Top. I think it's about Quilt #49. :mm:

It measures approximately 40 x 68".

Here are the final border scans:

Attachments

• $Magic Carpet Horizontal border 18 Quilt Top.jpg
    $Magic Carpet Horizontal border 18 Quilt Top.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 12
  • $Magic Carpet Verticall border 19 Quilt Top.jpg
    $Magic Carpet Verticall border 19 Quilt Top.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 13
  • $Magic Carpet Central Area 20 Quilt Top.jpg
    $Magic Carpet Central Area 20 Quilt Top.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 13

That is sweet Becki. May God bless you and the work of your hands!
Thanks for kind words, Bloodrock. The Lord is my hope and my song. Because I sure know how to mess things up. :lol:

Yesterday, I noticed my quilt files had one on red and a file on blue. No file on yellow, so I went searching. At first, it wasn't much fun because not everyone ever makes a yellow quilt. In some households, yellow is banned because if a person is called "yellow" in our culture, it means he is a coward. That's hardly fitting for the color of sunshine, the color of butter which makes cookies taste like nothing else on this planet, and just as people believe in living on the sunny side of life, which means happiness and laughter. I love yellow! It's gorgeous if you let it do its thing in a quilt, yet there is a whole group of quilters who a couple of decades ago were complaining how one little piece of yellow could make people's attention turn to that..... one little piece of yellow.

WELL, YEA-AH!
:)

So I'm putting some yellow quilts here for everyone's perusal into how much fun this color can be.​

I found someone's start on a mosaic quilt when I placed "yellow" into the search engine. I fell in love with just a glimpse of it. It has other colors than yellow, but the maker cleverly disguised them in the style of mosaic and distributed them randomly even throughout, and it's such an engaging piece, I just have to share it:​

Attachments

• $Yellow dom mod mosaic quilt structure.jpg
    $Yellow dom mod mosaic quilt structure.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 41
  • $Yellow Cigar Strips quilt.jpg
    $Yellow Cigar Strips quilt.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 51
  • $yellowdesign.jpg
    $yellowdesign.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 14
And more from my little vicarious tour of blogger's cheerful sewing room displays and museums:

1. Hearts o' Gold

2. Here comes the sun

3. Lemoyne Stars with zigzag gold sashing

Attachments

• $lemoynestarszigzagyellowbluerose81x94_20130107133421.jpg
    $lemoynestarszigzagyellowbluerose81x94_20130107133421.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 14
  • $Here comes the sun.jpg
    $Here comes the sun.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 18
  • $Hearts o gold.jpg
    $Hearts o gold.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Here's the mosaic enlarged. I just want to see it so I can refer back to it when I want some sunshine in my life. :)

Speaking of Sunshine, I found some particularly fun quilt depictions of suns on my quest for making a file in my pictures of yellow quilts that I love so and want to make charity quilts of. I have a couple of barrels of yellow fabric around here, and they are overflowing with textures and types from the forties (or earlier) on up through the recent months of printing and fabric distribution in the United States. :)

In honor of [MENTION=21954]Sunshine[/MENTION]:

Attachments

• $130712 Express Your Love Star Block.jpg
    $130712 Express Your Love Star Block.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 15
  • $Sunshine of Dresden.jpg
    $Sunshine of Dresden.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 15
  • $Yellow mosaic sun.jpg
    $Yellow mosaic sun.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 13
I'm pretty sure I'm in love with this lady's pleasing to the point of amazing mosaic quilt start that does such a beautiful management job of placing yellows with love and skill:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Here's the mosaic enlarged. I just want to see it so I can refer back to it when I want some sunshine in my life. :)

Speaking of Sunshine, I found some particularly fun quilt depictions of suns on my quest for making a file in my pictures of yellow quilts that I love so and want to make charity quilts of. I have a couple of barrels of yellow fabric around here, and they are overflowing with textures and types from the forties (or earlier) on up through the recent months of printing and fabric distribution in the United States. :)

Those are fantastic!

In honor of @Sunshine:

Those are fantastic!
Thanks, Sunshine. There were a lot more, but they were not allowed to be transferred as some quilters make very beautiful things that get published somewhere else, which makes them copyrighted. So in our little USMB gallery of gorgeous quilts, we just work with quilt artists whose main goal is making a loved one a pretty quilt, or has some fabric she thought she could put to good use in the house, like the cigar ribbon quilt above. You can't tell much about it anyway, as it sits in a museum somewhere likely, so I'll show the larger version if I can:

27213d1376584287-artful-homemade-quilts-have-a-way-yellow-cigar-strips-quilt.jpg

I won't have the "commercial mfg. markings," but the color schema is not one I've ever seen in anyone elses' except maybe one of mine back when I was making quilts for one show a year where my quilt shop was in central Wyoming. *sigh* Those were the days! I could just run over to where the yellow fabrics were upright on bolts, grab a couple I liked, put them to the cutting table and back on the shelves in less than an hour. I'd take them home and sew like a wild woman for 3 or 4 evenings, then show up to work with a new display for the front window. I tried to change them every couple of weeks to keep people from getting bored. Once in a while someone would come in and ask to see the ones we just took down, because someone called and told her about a quilt she should look at if she was going to make one for them. Small towns are like that.​

Last edited:

@freedombecki...I am amazed at the beauty your hands create. Knowing your situation you could easily sit back and let people do for you, but instead you go all out to bring joy to others. You will be rewarded. BTW...my wife is a teacher but she could have been an interior decorator. When she said she was going to paint our living room yellow I thought OMG. But it turned out to be beautiful. Yellow is such a cheerful color.

In honor of @Sunshine:

@freedombecki...I am amazed at the beauty your hands create. Knowing your situation you could easily sit back and let people do for you, but instead you go all out to bring joy to others. You will be rewarded. BTW...my wife is a teacher but she could have been an interior decorator. When she said she was going to paint our living room yellow I thought OMG. But it turned out to be beautiful. Yellow is such a cheerful color.
Mrs. Bloodrock sounds like a keeper! :)

Here's how I spent my morning--doing a mockup and getting as far as I could on getting the 24 blocks of this quilt with 9-inch squares (4x6=24) done. My quilt will not be quite at all like the gorgeous, irreplaceable cigar-strips quilt, but it is to honor those who love history and none other than Ms. Sunshine who every day fights the good fight and is loved for her spunk!

Scan #1 is what I remember of the beautiful square that is formed that looks like what quilters have traditionally called "Steps to the White House." It's not clear to me if that was the intention of the quilter who was wondering what to do with her strips or not, but to me, that effort is completely as breath-taking as any quilt has ever been, and endearing because it used something that to my knowledge is not used any more due to alleged improvements in packaging using cheaper materials.

Scan #2 is what I realized would have to go with square #1 in order to avoid a huge 2" zone of dark gold, and lend a give-and-take effect as the two blocks alternate.

Scan #3 (and part of Scan #1) are just successive steps I used when starting the quilt.

For the rest of the day, I'll be seeing if I can beat the clock on this quilt top.

Love to all on this beautiful Friday morning. Hope all good things come your way.

:huddle:

becki

Attachments

• $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 1.jpg
    $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 15
  • $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 2.jpg
    $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 15
  • $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 3.jpg
    $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 17

In honor of @Sunshine:

Mrs. Bloodrock sounds like a keeper! :)

Yes she is. Not long ago we were talking decorating with some friends. Someone asked me what color our living room was. I said yellow. My wife corrected me and said it hadn't been yellow for 2 years. Oh well. Must be my age.

The Sunshine Steps to the White House quilt is now in only 6 parts. It is coming together nicely, and I love it.

All I can show is one of the 6 junctions of four squares. They're all alike this one:

attachment.php

Attachments

• $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 4 junction of four squares.jpg
    $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 4 junction of four squares.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The Sunshine Steps to the White House quilt is now in only 6 parts. It is coming together nicely, and I love it.

All I can show is one of the 6 junctions of four squares. They're all alike this one:

attachment.php

WOW! That's sensational. Yellow makes me happy!

attachment.php

WOW! That's sensational. Yellow makes me happy!
I'm so glad, sunshine. I showed the antique quilt to my fellow moderator at another forum, and he noticed the antique quilt had a touch of red in the gold. I looked again, and he was right, it did, but it was too late. I'd already cut the light and dark yellow and gold strips. I did, however slightly remedy it by adding a definite schoolbus bright red-gold print as the inner border and a sunflower border with its own propensity toward a redder sun yellow (although not red in the true sense, but leaning that way just ever so slightly) I'm not sure the scanner did it justice, but for what it's worth, I am dedicating the quilt to you, Sunshine, for a child in our rural county whose lot it was to land with at least one parent in the local shelter for abused families. It's to honor your long career in patient care and fighting disease with all your might and helping people like me who are fighting mere pain and lethargy from fibromyalgia (and other autoimmune type diseases) to keep fighting and beating back our diseases, one symptom at a time, and winning against the odds.

Maybe the best cure is just that--lick the symptom and feel your heart saying "hip hip hooray" for the joy of victory over physical pain and other annoyances. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 5 Completed Top at Border.jpg
    $Sunshine Steps to the Whitehouse 5 Completed Top at Border.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Forum List

Back