As a felon I can not own a gun. I've never really wanted one.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Having said that with all of this madness going on over the last decade or so, were I not a felon I would likely buy a weapon for personal protection.
The ironic thing is most of these killers are not felons and able to freely buy a weapon while I, as a felon, would never use a weapon to hurt another person unless in self defense.

If you have not fucked up for five years the state of Washington restores your gun rights.
The state of Ohio allows the return of gun rights after one year of being trouble free.

Having said that with all of this madness going on over the last decade or so, were I not a felon I would likely buy a weapon for personal protection.
The ironic thing is most of these killers are not felons and able to freely buy a weapon while I, as a felon, would never use a weapon to hurt another person unless in self defense.
Have you tried expungement?

• Banned
If you have not fucked up for five years the state of Washington restores your gun rights.
The state of Ohio allows the return of gun rights after one year of being trouble free.
Not moving just to own a gun. Too well established here in Missouri.
The price I pay for being stupid in my youth.

• Banned
I engaged a lawyer a couple years back but I have terrorism convictions. Granted they are nothing like what terrorism is today but he thought the odds were slim so I didn't persue it further. Too much money with terrible odds.

Not moving just to own a gun. Too well established here in Missouri.
The price I pay for being stupid in my youth.
You ever thought about a limited pardon? I lived in Missouri (Salem) And poachers used it to get back long guns.

I engaged a lawyer a couple years back but I have terrorism convictions. Granted they are nothing like what terrorism is today but he thought the odds were slim so I didn't persue it further. Too much money with terrible odds.
It should just be a couple hundred dollars at most to file a form. And in my state you get that back if successful. Missouri expanded expungement last year according to this: Missouri expands expungement in a big way | | CCRC

I expunged a driving on suspended license from when I was younger (I didn't know it was suspended at the time). The hardest thing about it was having to drive to the courthouse.

Might be worth a shot. Go to the courthouse and ask the clerks what you need to do.

It should just be a couple hundred dollars at most to file a form. And in my state you get that back if successful. Missouri expanded expungement last year according to this: Missouri expands expungement in a big way | | CCRC

I expunged a driving on suspended license from when I was younger (I didn't know it was suspended at the time). The hardest thing about it was having to drive to the courthouse.

Might be worth a shot. Go to the courthouse and ask the clerks what you need to do.
That link is interesting. Not so much for gun rights but being able to do lots of things as a business owner without that over my head would be nice.

That is not true. That is only for some state crimes. Anything federal and you lose you gun rights for life, sans a pardon from the president of the United States.

People think that felons can get their gun rights back for any felony that doesn't get them life in prison. That is so not true. There are two types of felonies, state and federal. Only some state felonies can you ever see your gun rights again. NO federal felonies will every qualify for gun rights restoration.

Pretty sad for someone who is found guilty of a federal crime who was innocent and the felony was non-violent, like embezzling money or something to lose gun rights FOR LIFE. But it happens.

That link is interesting. Not so much for gun rights but being able to do lots of things as a business owner without that over my head would be nice.
At the least you can 100% get your record sealed, which means nobody will see it unless you're investigated for another crime (I think that's what it is). Though if it's been decades, expungement should be a breeze. One of my oldest friends got an expungement from being caught as a 21 year old selling ecstacy, 2c-b, and cocaine. He had a lawyer though, but I did mine entirely through just asking a clerk for the forms.

That is not true. That is only for some state crimes. Anything federal and you lose you gun rights for life, sans a pardon from the president of the United States.

People think that felons can get their gun rights back for any felony that doesn't get them life in prison. That is so not true. There are two types of felonies, state and federal. Only some state felonies can you ever see your gun rights again. NO federal felonies will every qualify for gun rights restoration.

Pretty sad for someone who is found guilty of a federal crime who was innocent and the felony was non-violent, like embezzling money or something to lose gun rights FOR LIFE. But it happens.
I was not aware of the difference in felonies.

Mine were state
Also, have you looked into a certificate of rehabilitation? You can use that for your expungement too.

This isn't a Nazi run country (yet)

If you've been a law abiding citizen for decades, you can get your rights back.
I got my voting rights back after completing parole. Some states don't even allow that. I feel lucky to an extent.

Mine were state
Also, have you looked into a certificate of rehabilitation? You can use that for your expungement too.

I got my voting rights back after completing parole. Some states don't even allow that. I feel lucky to an extent.
You shouldn't feel lucky to have rights. You've been a decent, responsible person for decades. Go take your rights back. Spend an hour at the courthouse and file a couple forms. It can't hurt.

Mine were state

You shouldn't feel lucky to have rights. You've been a decent, responsible person for decades. Go take your rights back. Spend an hour at the courthouse and file a couple forms. It can't hurt.
Bruh, I feel lucky to be alive after the bullshit I pulled. I feel lucky to be free. I feel lucky to have my kids. I feel crazy lucky to have such a fun grandson. I feel lucky to have met the people I did after I got out that helped guide me back to the right path.
I wish I could help others like me but the risk of hiring ex felons to work in high end homes while the customer is gone all day scares me to death.

Forum List

Back