Assault rifles for self defense

My previous comment still applies.

Anyways, the government keeps all the really badass weapons for themselves and don't let ordinary citizens have them. The 2nd Amendment be damned!!

The so called "badass" weapons are usually not small arms. And if they are it is just a matter of being fully automatic. That lets you spray a lot of rounds, but is not conducive to accuracy.

So your militia would have no chance against a tyrannical government which keeps all the good arms for itself. AAAHHHH! Poor you.

Assault rifles are not a good choice for home defense. Likely engagement distance makes a long gun unwieldy and easier to deflect. Pistol's best in the home. Plus the penetration power of any rifle round makes it more likely after going completely through the target, it's gonna go through the walls and into a neighbor's home.

I was thinking about this and wanted to add more.

While the rifles that most people consider "assault rifles" are not my first choice for self defense, I do like a short barreled lever action rifle for that task. The ones chambered in handgun calibers are the best, imho. A .357 or .44 lever action rifle is usually short and handy. The fact that you can load a shot shell as the first round fired makes it doubly effective.

Anyways, the government keeps all the really badass weapons for themselves and don't let ordinary citizens have them. The 2nd Amendment be damned!!

The so called "badass" weapons are usually not small arms. And if they are it is just a matter of being fully automatic. That lets you spray a lot of rounds, but is not conducive to accuracy.

So your militia would have no chance against a tyrannical government which keeps all the good arms for itself. AAAHHHH! Poor you.

My militia? Ahh, so many assumptions and so little actual knowledge.

Assault rifles are not a good choice for home defense. Likely engagement distance makes a long gun unwieldy and easier to deflect. Pistol's best in the home. Plus the penetration power of any rifle round makes it more likely after going completely through the target, it's gonna go through the walls and into a neighbor's home.

While the rifles that most people consider "assault rifles" are not my first choice for self defense, I do like a short barreled lever action rifle for that task. The ones chambered in handgun calibers are the best, imho. A .357 or .44 lever action rifle is usually short and handy. The fact that you can load a shot shell as the first round fired makes it doubly effective.

What? No stun grenades? No mounted .50 next to your bed? :eek:

What? Still no intelligent comments on the actual topic? Just snarky generalizations and stereotypes?? What a surprise.

That's not always true. A light AR round fragments when hitting sheetrock. Or flesh. A 9mm round has more penetrating power. ARs are not "long" and there's a reason SWAT type teams use them. A 30 round AR has a lot of firepower, manuverable, easy to control and is very accurate.

What? Still no intelligent comments on the actual topic? Just snarky generalizations and stereotypes?? What a surprise.

Ok, here's a real question: do you kiss your gun goodnight before you go to sleep?

Ok, here's a real question: do you kiss your gun goodnight before you go to sleep?

So let's actually discuss the topic, shall we?

Do you think there should be a ban on certain firearms based solely on the gun's appearance?

Do you think there should be a ban on certain firearms based solely on the gun's appearance?

No. But I agree with another poster here who had the idea of putting a fingerprint scanner on guns so if they're stolen, or if a kid find s it in a closet... it won't fire because it won't be armed. And I would ban anything that's above a hunting rifle grade, like military style weapons.

That's not always true. A light AR round fragments when hitting sheetrock. Or flesh. A 9mm round has more penetrating power. ARs are not "long" and there's a reason SWAT type teams use them. A 30 round AR has a lot of firepower, manuverable, easy to control and is very accurate.

I'm not a big fan of the AR based firearms. I love the ability to vary the purpose of the gun by changing the upper. The accuracy is excellent. They are, overall, very handy guns.

But I am a hunter and shooter, mainly. So I still see the .223 as a varmint round. It is illegal to hunt deer with a .223 in most places. Why would I see it as a suitable round against a person?

No. But I agree with another poster here who had the idea of putting a fingerprint scanner on guns so if they're stolen, or if a kid find s it in a closet... it won't fire because it won't be armed. And I would ban anything that's above a hunting rifle grade, like military style weapons.

The fingerprint scanner safety has not been shown to be reliable. And I am fairly certain it could be defeated. A better answer would be requiring safe storage.

You would ban anything above a hunting rifle grade? I'm not sure what you mean. In most cases, the hunting rifles are a higher grade than military style weapons.

What would you base the ban on? Ban all semi-autos? Ban rifles with pistol grips? Ban rifles with flash suppressors?

Assault rifles for self defense
Oh those government-phobic cons gonna shoot them revenuers with their AK47's. In my town, we have one of them paranoids with an M60 mounted on the back of his Willy's jeep. I think he has a tank in his front yard too, and a Bazooka. Think he'll win? Maybe Russia will sell him a MIG and a couple of nukes. Nice to know who your friends are.

But I am a hunter and shooter, mainly. So I still see the .223 as a varmint round. It is illegal to hunt deer with a .223 in most places. Why would I see it as a suitable round against a person?
Because the military and police use them?

Indeed they do. But that does not change the fact that a 55 gr bullet is not a good stopping round. It is very accurate, but lacks the punch.

I am one of those who thinks the military screwed up when they moved away from the 7.62x51mm/.308 round as a standard rifle.

We put up a bunch of quarter inch thick, steel plates, hung from bailing wire in a server rack. At 50 yards, my Mini-14 shooting .223 - not the more powerful 5.56, drills a clean hole in them every time. My Glock 17 at 25 yards puts a small divot in the plates.

Assault rifles for self defense -

Real world examples of this happening in the U.S. when the person using the weapon for self defense is -

1. Not acting as a government agent nor using a weapon issued to him/her by the government
2. Not acting as a trained private security guard.
3. Not defending a criminal enterprise.

Any?

Without a clear definition of what you consider an Assault Rifle, this is kind of pointless. There are reasons other than Self Defense or Home Defense for People owning guns. You know that, right? Do you have any respect for Private Property Right's, other than your own? Just curious.

Forum List

Back