Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Capricorn

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Aquarius

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Pisces

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
Red moon by morning: Total lunar eclipse on tax day (Blood Moon)

If you are already planning to be up early on April 15, setting the alarm for just a few hours earlier — or staying up a little later — might be worth your while in the most celestial way: A total eclipse of the moon will occur between 1:58 a.m. and 5:33 a.m., according to Skip Bird, outreach director for the Westminster Astronomical Society.

The result of the moon passing through the earth’s shadow, a total lunar eclipse is safe to view with the naked eye, unlike a solar eclipse, according to Bird, and the only pieces of equipment necessary to view a lunar eclipse are a pair of eyes, a comfortable chair and perhaps some hot chocolate.

“With a solar eclipse, you are looking at the sun, which is like a light bulb,” he said. “A lunar eclipse is the opposite. With a lunar eclipse, you are looking at the shadow, not the light bulb, so it is safe to look at.”

The eclipse will proceed in phases with the earliest, barely noticeable changes coming around 1 a.m., according to Bird, as the moon slips into the earth’s penumbral shadow, the gray, less opaque border of the shadow earth casts into space, which will dim the lunar luminosity. Just before 2 a.m. will begin the partial eclipse, when the curved, dark core of earth’s shadow — the umbral shadow — can be seen moving across the face of the moon.

“It will take it 40 to 45 minutes to go completely dark, that is, it goes from bright white, to some shade of red, or pink or orange,” Bird said. “The partial eclipse starts at 1:58 a.m. and totality begins at 3:07 a.m.”

Red moon by morning: Total lunar eclipse on tax day - The Advocate of Westminster and Finksburg: News

According to data on NASA’s eclipse webpage, this will be the first total lunar eclipse visible from North America since Dec. 5, 2010. It is also the first in a tetrad, a group of four consecutive total lunar eclipses: The next three eclipses in the tetrad will take place on Oct. 8, 2014, April 4, 2015 and Sept. 28, 2015.

Last edited:

If you are already planning to be up early on April 15, setting the alarm for just a few hours earlier — or staying up a little later — might be worth your while in the most celestial way: A total eclipse of the moon will occur between 1:58 a.m. and 5:33 a.m., according to Skip Bird, outreach director for the Westminster Astronomical Society.

The result of the moon passing through the earth’s shadow, a total lunar eclipse is safe to view with the naked eye, unlike a solar eclipse, according to Bird, and the only pieces of equipment necessary to view a lunar eclipse are a pair of eyes, a comfortable chair and perhaps some hot chocolate.

“With a solar eclipse, you are looking at the sun, which is like a light bulb,” he said. “A lunar eclipse is the opposite. With a lunar eclipse, you are looking at the shadow, not the light bulb, so it is safe to look at.”

The eclipse will proceed in phases with the earliest, barely noticeable changes coming around 1 a.m., according to Bird, as the moon slips into the earth’s penumbral shadow, the gray, less opaque border of the shadow earth casts into space, which will dim the lunar luminosity. Just before 2 a.m. will begin the partial eclipse, when the curved, dark core of earth’s shadow — the umbral shadow — can be seen moving across the face of the moon.

“It will take it 40 to 45 minutes to go completely dark, that is, it goes from bright white, to some shade of red, or pink or orange,” Bird said. “The partial eclipse starts at 1:58 a.m. and totality begins at 3:07 a.m.”

Red moon by morning: Total lunar eclipse on tax day - The Advocate of Westminster and Finksburg: News

According to data on NASA’s eclipse webpage, this will be the first total lunar eclipse visible from North America since Dec. 5, 2010. It is also the first in a tetrad, a group of four consecutive total lunar eclipses: The next three eclipses in the tetrad will take place on Oct. 8, 2014, April 4, 2015 and Sept. 28, 2015.

They really don't say where the eclipse shows up but I found a map -- it pretty much covers all of the Americas except western Alaska and eastern Brazil:

TLE2014Apr15-map1b.gif

Europe: nothing to see here, move along...

More at this site, including event times in each time zone...

Good reminder Sarah :thup:

>> For many ancient cultures, an eclipse of any sort was a terrifying event, unpredictable and full of ominous forbearing <<​

Well, it's tax day. They were right.

They really don't say where the eclipse shows up but I found a map -- it pretty much covers all of the Americas except western Alaska and eastern Brazil:

TLE2014Apr15-map1b.gif

Europe: nothing to see here, move along...

More at this site, including event times in each time zone...

Good reminder Sarah :thup:

>> For many ancient cultures, an eclipse of any sort was a terrifying event, unpredictable and full of ominous forbearing <<​

Well, it's tax day. They were right.

Thank you. Good info, Pogo.

I'm a Scorpio and my wife had an astrologer prepare my Chart and a reading as a present.

Believe it or not, in the hour I spent on the phone with the astrologer he said some amazing accurate things about me just by interpreting the chart. Specific things about relationships, business, physical ability. Far more accurate than climate scientists at predicting global warming

I think Scorpios are often the first ones out of the gate.

Typical Alpha-Male types. Yepp.

-- or so they fancy themselves ... ;)

Actually, Astrologically Aries Approximates the Alpha. Scorpio's a 'fixed' sign. Not in the sexual sense but the dynamic.

Could very well be, but I know a helluva lot of football coaches, band directors, wrestling coaches and the like who are Scorpios. Are you an Aries?

I'm a Scorpio and my wife had an astrologer prepare my Chart and a reading as a present.

Believe it or not, in the hour I spent on the phone with the astrologer he said some amazing accurate things about me just by interpreting the chart. Specific things about relationships, business, physical ability. Far more accurate than climate scientists at predicting global warming

lolz......

:lol:

Actually, Astrologically Aries Approximates the Alpha. Scorpio's a 'fixed' sign. Not in the sexual sense but the dynamic.

Could very well be, but I know a helluva lot of football coaches, band directors, wrestling coaches and the like who are Scorpios. Are you an Aries?

No, I'm an astrologer.
As I read it, the question wasn't about coaches and directors; it was about "being in first". And that indicates Aries if it indicates anything.

Scorpio tends to like the investigative arts. I think that's why I like history; I like to know the derivations of things. I'm not born under Scorpio but it looms pretty large in my natal chart.

No, I'm an astrologer.
As I read it, the question wasn't about coaches and directors; it was about "being in first". And that indicates Aries if it indicates anything.

Scorpio tends to like the investigative arts. I think that's why I like history; I like to know the derivations of things. I'm not born under Scorpio but it looms pretty large in my natal chart.

Oh, got it. Not really too much up on that stuff.

No, I'm an astrologer.

Also surgery, chemistry and things watery including drink, and anything to do with knives or death. :death:
Not committing it ... necessarily... :eusa_shifty:

No, I'm an astrologer.

Also surgery, chemistry and things watery including drink, and anything to do with knives or death. :death:
Not committing it ... necessarily... :eusa_shifty:

Whutt?!?! Knives?!?!? Death?!?!?

:D

I think Scorpios are often the first ones out of the gate.

Scorpios as a whole? It's somewhat fanciful at best.

The readings fancy the people and Scorpios are often quickly out of the gate in choices. They chose to come into this thread quickly.

Forum List

Back