Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

Pogo said:
No, it's stating the obvious. Do you believe in impultuous convanescence? No you don't, because there's no such thing. I just made it up. That doesn't make you a follower of the religion of unimpultuous noncovanescence.
Stop being obtuse.
What an absolutely ridiculous argument! You truly take the cake here.

You believe in Atheism...the practice of being an atheist.

No I do not.
I believe I know what the word "atheism" means, and that you do not. That's what I believe.
Couple of y'all seem to have a strange predilection for telling other people what they believe.

Why is that exactly?

Atheism has been shown to be a religion.

Here, Thomas! Deal with this:

No it has not. Come up with something that is not a Composition Fallacy. Which is what the rest of this post is.

And/or please to answer the several-daze-old question, "what would be the point"?

[Composition fallacy deleted]

Bullshit. You don't need a religion for your opinion to be protected by the Constitution. On religion or on anything else.

Dayam you are still a complete idiot despite me taking you to school multiple times and proving you wrong every single time. Will you ever learn? The Constitution protects you from the government. Even without it, you are free to be an atheist, but you would not be able to argue that your beliefs should be protected from government infringement.

The only way the courts will step in and protect your beliefs against a law that infringes on them is when they are important enough to you that you are able to prove that they place an undue burden upon you when you obey them. That is why the owners of Hobby Lobby won when they filed a suit against the contraception mandate, and why everyone else who holds a sincere belief will also win.

By the way, since you are one of the idiots that think atheism is not a religion, even though there are religions that do not believe in gods of any type, let me point out that words can actually have more than one meaning. The one you should concentrate on when thinking about the law is the third one below, which is why atheism is legally a religion in this country, and why it receives Constitutional protection.

Wait, you do know that words can have more than one meaning, don't you? And did you know that religion is not an exception to that little factoid? The one that is pertinent in the legal world is the third one below.

: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group
If you simply file a lawsuit, and then argue that you really don't believe the law places a burden on you because you don't have any beliefs it infringes upon, you will lose every single time.

Feel free to run off and pretend you never challenged me, just like you do every single time I prove how ignorant you are.

Windbag, you are a legend in your own mind.

I don't need the Ten Commandments to know right from wrong.

Because you are the god of your own universe. You make up what is right and wrong. And if you mess up you change the rules to suit you. And if someone bothers you then you say that is evil. Problem is, according to that thinking, there are billions of gods in the world. Whose rules do we follow? :eusa_think:

I find your response odd. We are complex social animals who have evolved morality, because we've learned that communities help us exist. We learn right from wrong from our parents, school, and human experience, and then we pass laws to keep us in check.

People like you scare me. You act like you need someone minding the store, otherwise you'll run out and start murdering people.

Last edited:
Pogo said:
No, it's stating the obvious. Do you believe in impultuous convanescence? No you don't, because there's no such thing. I just made it up. That doesn't make you a follower of the religion of unimpultuous noncovanescence.
Stop being obtuse.

No I do not.
I believe I know what the word "atheism" means, and that you do not. That's what I believe.
Couple of y'all seem to have a strange predilection for telling other people what they believe.

Why is that exactly?

No it has not. Come up with something that is not a Composition Fallacy. Which is what the rest of this post is.

And/or please to answer the several-daze-old question, "what would be the point"?

I have no idea what the point of an Atheist religion would be. Here's a glint from the article I just linked...

Among atheists and agnostics, 14 percent of said religion was "somewhat important" in their lives, while 17 percent said they took part in daily, weekly or monthly prayer.

So maybe the point is to satisfy the needs of the atheists that have such a need to be religious.

I noticed you cut out the last link and the text I printed from it. Here it is again. Refute it if you can.

Atheist Prayer Religious Activity Not Uncommon Among Nonbelievers
Atheist Prayer: Religious Activity Not Uncommon Among Nonbelievers

A Washington Post article by Michelle Boorstein spotlighted the fascinating phenomenon of a minority of atheists, agnostics and the religiously unaffiliated who take to prayer, chaplaincy and other commonly religious practices as a way to experience community with others, relax, meditate and connect to something other than the physical.

Among atheists and agnostics, 14 percent of said religion was "somewhat important" in their lives, while 17 percent said they took part in daily, weekly or monthly prayer.

Still, it's undeniable that atheists are picking up habits traditionally found among the religious. Just last week, an "atheist church" had it's first meeting in New York City.

It is NOT a religion, and if you keep saying it is, I'm going to start my own tax exempt church, and start pounding on your door at dinner time.

Seriously, it sounds ridiculous when you say it.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms:faith, belief, worship, creed; More
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Atheism IS a religion according to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.

“Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being,” the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.
Read more at Court rules atheism a religion

I rest my case. End of thread.

That's because you didn't look at the source. You might try reading some actual documents. Just saying...

Atheism IS a religion when the true believers substitute a Secular State for an omnipotent source of life.

Pogo said:
Stop being obtuse.

No I do not.

Why is that exactly?

I have no idea what the point of an Atheist religion would be. Here's a glint from the article I just linked...

So maybe the point is to satisfy the needs of the atheists that have such a need to be religious.

I noticed you cut out the last link and the text I printed from it. Here it is again. Refute it if you can.

A Washington Post article by Michelle Boorstein spotlighted the fascinating phenomenon of a minority of atheists, agnostics and the religiously unaffiliated who take to prayer, chaplaincy and other commonly religious practices as a way to experience community with others, relax, meditate and connect to something other than the physical.

Still, it's undeniable that atheists are picking up habits traditionally found among the religious. Just last week, an "atheist church" had it's first meeting in New York City.

"minority of atheists, agnostics and the religiously unaffiliated "

KAUFMAN v. McCAUGHTRY - FindLaw

US 7th Circuit said:
In keeping with this idea, the Court has adopted a broad definition of “religion” that includes non-theistic and atheistic beliefs, as well as theistic ones.   Thus, in Torcaso v. Watkins, 367 U.S. 488, 81 S.Ct. 1680, 6 L.Ed.2d 982, it said that a state cannot “pass laws or impose requirements which aid all religions as against non-believers, and neither can [it] aid those religions based on a belief in the existence of God as against those religions founded on different beliefs.”  Id. at 495, 81 S.Ct. 1680.   Indeed, Torcaso specifically included “Secular Humanism” as an example of a religion.  Id. at 495 n. 11, 81 S.Ct. 1680.

The problem with the district court's analysis is that the court failed to recognize that Kaufman was trying to start a “religious” group, in the sense we discussed earlier.   Atheism is Kaufman's religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being.   As he explained in his application, the group wanted to study freedom of thought, religious beliefs, creeds, dogmas, tenets, rituals, and practices, all presumably from an atheistic perspective.

Atheism IS a religion.

I agreed with you there. A growing minority of religious atheists have established Atheism as a religion that you are free to join.

Just another comedy show by the pseudo-intellectual Bill Maher.

...means nothing. He says nothing that hasn't already been said. He depends on jokes and ridicule to gain favor with his audience of willing idiots.

I agreed with you there. A growing minority of religious atheists have established Atheism as a religion that you are free to join.

Just another comedy show by the pseudo-intellectual Bill Maher.

...means nothing. He says nothing that hasn't already been said. He depends on jokes and ridicule to gain favor with his audience of willing idiots.

You can't have a religion that doesn't stand for anything.
That's been the challenge here since post number one.

An atheist believes (he cannot empirically or philosophically) that God does not exist.

Atheism is a faith belief then.

Tis what it is, yo

KAUFMAN v. McCAUGHTRY - FindLaw

US 7th Circuit said:
In keeping with this idea, the Court has adopted a broad definition of “religion” that includes non-theistic and atheistic beliefs, as well as theistic ones.   Thus, in Torcaso v. Watkins, 367 U.S. 488, 81 S.Ct. 1680, 6 L.Ed.2d 982, it said that a state cannot “pass laws or impose requirements which aid all religions as against non-believers, and neither can [it] aid those religions based on a belief in the existence of God as against those religions founded on different beliefs.”  Id. at 495, 81 S.Ct. 1680.   Indeed, Torcaso specifically included “Secular Humanism” as an example of a religion.  Id. at 495 n. 11, 81 S.Ct. 1680.

The problem with the district court's analysis is that the court failed to recognize that Kaufman was trying to start a “religious” group, in the sense we discussed earlier.   Atheism is Kaufman's religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being.   As he explained in his application, the group wanted to study freedom of thought, religious beliefs, creeds, dogmas, tenets, rituals, and practices, all presumably from an atheistic perspective.

Atheism IS a religion.

Perhaps for the purpose of a legal definition within this challenge (haven't had a chance to read it yet) but in terms of English language definitions --- no it is not.

Cherrypicking court summaries is like taking a preordained conclusion to the Googles to "prove" that Barack O'bama was born in Kenya as Hitler's love child. I bet I could find a court or legal artifact somewhere to say that a corporation is a person, or that another person is three-fifths of a person. Try me.

We speak not of legal definitions here, but actual real life ones.

Pogo said:
Stop being obtuse.

No I do not.

Why is that exactly?

I have no idea what the point of an Atheist religion would be.

--- Then where is your basis to conclude it's a religion?
A religion needs a raison d'être. Where is it?
I keep asking you that, you admit you don't have one. So you have no basis.

'scuse me one sec...

:banghead:

Here's a glint from the article I just linked...

Biased Sample fallacy.
This "atheist prayer" (to who? to what?) would have to apply to all atheists in order to serve your definition. It does not. You're projecting them.

Thus I run rings around you logically.

An atheist believes (he cannot empirically or philosophically) that God does not exist.

Atheism is a faith belief then.

Tis what it is, yo

That's incorrect. I don't have faith that their is no God. I have no evidence that there is a God. Atheism is not faith based. It is the opposite of faith based. Religion is faith based, and cannot stand on its own merit.

(quick snip)

Side note here -- what sort of genuine journalism doesn't know the difference between its and it's?

Dat was hilarious :eusa_clap:

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position."

"That's the great thing about atheism - it takes so little of your time."

"You don't get to put your unreason up on the same shelf with my reason."

Translation:
"I can't think of anything to refute his points so lemme just poison the well...."

It is NOT a religion, and if you keep saying it is, I'm going to start my own tax exempt church, and start pounding on your door at dinner time.

Seriously, it sounds ridiculous when you say it.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms:faith, belief, worship, creed; More
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

And you'll cut the head off of anyone who says it is on Al Jazeera!

Gaia be praised.

Forum List

Back