Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

It's just a fact that you can provide no supportable evidence for your gods.

I don't need faith to understand that. I can conclude your claims to absurdities of nature are false until proven true. Identify for us a single, verifiable supernatural event. Just one that is connected to your gods. You can't, right? I knew you couldn't.

I happen to live in a reality where your claims to supernatural entities are utterly absent substantiation.

No. I can't. I never once claimed I could. Do you see how that works? I don't make a claim so I don't have to support it. You do make a claim so you do have to support it.

My only claim made on this or any of the other threads on the subject is that Atheism is not a matter of non-belief. The claim that it is just non-belief is utter bullshit. It is false. Untrue. Pure crap.

Sorry, that's false. Untrue. Pure crap.

I don't believe in the Easter Bunny. That doesn't make not believing in the Easter Bunny a "religion".

That's all there is to it. You yourself admitted it earlier. And I quote:
Not smoking itself is not a religion, but it be treated like one. Same with Atheism. In and of itself, it is not a religion. But that does not mean there are no Atheists who don't treat it that way. Science is not a religion, but I have certainly known people who treated it as one.

And you were right. So the revisionistas can stop treating it like one.

You spend a lot of time discussing your non-belief of the Easter Bunny on message boards, do you? It's so important that you actually apply a label to yourself as an Alepidist to identify yourself as someone who has no beliefs in the Easter Bunny? Remember what I said about the value of pithy little sayings?

Atheism is not in and of itself a religion. But it sure as hell is being treated as one. Just a simple little statement of "I believe there are no gods" has been so twisted, defined and encased in doctrine that you have turned it into one. So don't blame others. You're the ones who did it.

Here you are, talking out of both sides of your mouth. If you know atheism is not a religion, why are YOU treating it as one?

Please do try to take the time to read what I say. I'm not treating it as a religion. The only people who can treat Atheism as a religion are Atheists. All I am doing is pointing out that that is happening.

Nonsense. You want all philosophy called a religion so YOUR: "I know you are but what am I" argument will hold some water.

You NEED Atheists to be "groupthink" as you and your people operate. You would like nothing more than to be able to point to some selfproclaimed AUTHORITY on Atheism and ask why I don't take it up with MY leaders. Sadly for YOU there are none.

Solly Chawlee.... wrong species. I don't roll that way. I don't have any sign on my front door that reads "Suckers..Welcome"

I don't need faith to understand that. I can conclude your claims to absurdities of nature are false until proven true. Identify for us a single, verifiable supernatural event. Just one that is connected to your gods. You can't, right? I knew you couldn't.

I happen to live in a reality where your claims to supernatural entities are utterly absent substantiation.

No. I can't. I never once claimed I could. Do you see how that works? I don't make a claim so I don't have to support it. You do make a claim so you do have to support it.

My only claim made on this or any of the other threads on the subject is that Atheism is not a matter of non-belief. The claim that it is just non-belief is utter bullshit. It is false. Untrue. Pure crap.

I don't believe in the Easter Bunny. That doesn't make not believing in the Easter Bunny a "religion".

Not smoking itself is not a religion, but it be treated like one. Same with Atheism. In and of itself, it is not a religion. But that does not mean there are no Atheists who don't treat it that way. Science is not a religion, but I have certainly known people who treated it as one.

You spend a lot of time discussing your non-belief of the Easter Bunny on message boards, do you? It's so important that you actually apply a label to yourself as an Alepidist to identify yourself as someone who has no beliefs in the Easter Bunny? Remember what I said about the value of pithy little sayings?

Atheism is not in and of itself a religion. But it sure as hell is being treated as one. Just a simple little statement of "I believe there are no gods" has been so twisted, defined and encased in doctrine that you have turned it into one. So don't blame others. You're the ones who did it.

Here you are, talking out of both sides of your mouth. If you know atheism is not a religion, why are YOU treating it as one?

Please do try to take the time to read what I say. I'm not treating it as a religion. The only people who can treat Atheism as a religion are Atheists. All I am doing is pointing out that that is happening.

I treat atheism as the exact opposite of religion, but I'm glad we both agree that atheism is not a religion. You are 100 % correct to say that atheism is not a religion.

Then you are treating Atheism as a religion. In fact, you define your position in purely religious terms. Speaking as an Agnostic, all you are saying is that your beliefs are the opposite of their beliefs. Two sides of the same coin. Your insistence that Atheism is not a religion as if that were evidence that you were not engaged in religious action is just an example of dogma. It doesn't matter what definitions you use, it only matters what you do.

I treat atheism as the exact opposite of religion, but I'm glad we both agree that atheism is not a religion. You are 100 % correct to say that atheism is not a religion.

Then you are treating Atheism as a religion. In fact, you define your position in purely religious terms. Speaking as an Agnostic, all you are saying is that your beliefs are the opposite of their beliefs. Two sides of the same coin. Your insistence that Atheism is not a religion as if that were evidence that you were not engaged in religious action is just an example of dogma. It doesn't matter what definitions you use, it only matters what you do.

Dude... You are a desperate clown. Give it up. There is no coin. There are dishonest suckers like you and there are free and honest people like Carla. We are not you..get over it.

Nonsense. You want all philosophy called a religion so YOUR: "I know you are but what am I" argument will hold some water.

You NEED Atheists to be "groupthink" as you and your people operate. You would like nothing more than to be able to point to some selfproclaimed AUTHORITY on Atheism and ask why I don't take it up with MY leaders. Sadly for YOU there are none.

Solly Chawlee.... wrong species. I don't roll that way. I don't have any sign on my front door that reads "Suckers..Welcome"

I can impose nothing on you. Only you can do that. So if what you claim is actually true, that you just don't believe and there is no doctrine or dogma to follow - why do you care? Why apply a name to it? Why do you need a definition? Why do you bother talking about it at all?

To use one of your analogies, I don't believe in unicorns. Do you know how long you could keep me in a conversation on the subject of whether or not they existed? Zero time. The best you would get from me would be a blank stare and I would quickly find an excuse to wander away.

No, I'm not buying your claim of non-belief. You are showing both faith and dogma, the trappings of religion. There is even proselytizing, courtesy of the Christian influence. Atheism is not of itself a religion, you all just turned it into one.

Dude... You are a desperate clown. Give it up. There is no coin. There are dishonest suckers like you and there are free and honest people like Carla. We are not you..get over it.

Yes, I can see you believe that very strongly.

Complete BS. I do not treat atheism as a religion, because it is not one. I spent the past 8 years referring to myself as an agnostic simply because it's not controversial. Atheism is very unpopular, hence the meaningless weasel-word "Agnostic," which is far less controversial and will seldom be challenged.

Atheism is not two sides of the same coin. We have no doctrine. Atheism is often portrayed as an all-nor-nothing position. In most cases however, it is a statement about probability or likelihood.

OK ... I'm done with Cratchet.

He's gonna have to ride his merry-go-round by his own damned self.

His talking in circles is making my eye balls spin around in their sockets.. :lol:

Been real...been fun...but not real fun.

I can impose nothing on you. Only you can do that. So if what you claim is actually true, that you just don't believe and there is no doctrine or dogma to follow - why do you care? Why apply a name to it? Why do you need a definition? Why do you bother talking about it at all?

To use one of your analogies, I don't believe in unicorns. Do you know how long you could keep me in a conversation on the subject of whether or not they existed? Zero time. The best you would get from me would be a blank stare and I would quickly find an excuse to wander away.

No, I'm not buying your claim of non-belief. You are showing both faith and dogma, the trappings of religion. There is even proselytizing, courtesy of the Christian influence. Atheism is not of itself a religion, you all just turned it into one.

You just contradicted yourself.

Is your non-belief in unicorns describable as "religion"? Obviously it is not.
Same damn thing. Exactly . Period. Waiter, check please.

Having it both ways: Priceless.

faith
fāTH/
noun
  1. 1.
    complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    "this restores one's faith in politicians"
    synonyms:trust, belief, confidence, conviction; More
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
  2. 2.
    strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
    synonyms:religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
    "she gave her life for her faith"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

faith
[feyth] IPA Syllables
noun
confidence or trust in a person or thing:
faith in another's ability.
belief that is not based on proof:
He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

Faith Define Faith at Dictionary.com

:eusa_whistle:

Complete strawman, just for starters, since I said no such thing. Why do you find the need to lie to try to build a bridge to a conclusion you can't get to anyway?

"Being treated" is weasel wording. Your side (the revisionists who for some reason need atheism to be a "religion") are the ones trying to "treat it" as such.

I'm not married to the Easter Bunny, nor was I even aware of the word Alepidist (which apparently you made up -- Google search directs right back to this thread). There again you're trying to treat lack of belief in the EB as a "religion". With your own made-up word no less.

Nobody ever answered the question as to why you Revisionistas need this redefinition to happen. What's in it for you?

We might remind you yet again that atheism is not the absence of religion; it's the absence of theism. Theism by itself isn't a religion either -- it's one flavor in some religions. As a parallel --- some religions as part of their doctrine profess, for an example, reincarnation. That doesn't make people who don't happen to accept reincarnation a "religion". It can't do that.

No, it's not and no it is not the same thing. I don't care enough to treat it as a religion. But I get I am questioning the dogma, which is blasphemy.

faith
fāTH/
noun
  1. 1.
    complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    "this restores one's faith in politicians"
    synonyms:trust, belief, confidence, conviction; More
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
  2. 2.
    strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
    synonyms:religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
    "she gave her life for her faith"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

faith
[feyth] IPA Syllables
noun
confidence or trust in a person or thing:
faith in another's ability.
belief that is not based on proof:
He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

Faith Define Faith at Dictionary.com

:eusa_whistle:

Yes, Ding Dong, and I would have faith, if I had proof... I have no proof one way or the other, therefore, I have no faith.

Complete strawman, just for starters, since I said no such thing. Why do you find the need to lie to try to build a bridge to a conclusion you can't get to anyway?

"Being treated" is weasel wording. Your side (the revisionists who for some reason need atheism to be a "religion") are the ones trying to "treat it" as such.

I'm not married to the Easter Bunny, nor was I even aware of the word Alepidist (which apparently you made up -- Google search directs right back to this thread). There again you're trying to treat lack of belief in the EB as a "religion". With your own made-up word no less.

Nobody ever answered the question as to why you Revisionistas need this redefinition to happen. What's in it for you?

We might remind you yet again that atheism is not the absence of religion; it's the absence of theism. Theism by itself isn't a religion either -- it's one flavor in some religions. As a parallel --- some religions as part of their doctrine profess, for an example, reincarnation. That doesn't make people who don't happen to accept reincarnation a "religion". It can't do that.

Of course I made the word up. Lepus is latin for rabbit. Alepidist. Someone who believes there is no bunny. And I didn't treat it as a religion. I used it as an example of why the analogy you keep bringing up is meaningless.

You want to do this with definitions. I don't care about your definitions. I do not feel constrained by them at all. I base my conclusions not on arbitrary definitions but by actions. If the definition does not conform to reality, it is the definition which is wrong.

I have never said Atheism is the absence of religion. I have said it is being treated as a religion by some Atheists. The only people who can treat Atheism as religion are Atheists.

No, it's not and no it is not the same thing. I don't care enough to treat it as a religion. But I get I am questioning the dogma, which is blasphemy.

You can't "question" nothingness. There is no "dogma" since atheism is not a thing or concept; it's simply the dearth of a concept. In the same way that dark is not a "thing" but the dearth of light and silence is not a "thing" but the dearth of sound. Second, you can't "blaspheme" something you never accepted in the first place.

Forum List

Back