Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 rational positions

1. Be open minded and willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control their own body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
  9. There is no right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.
Sounds like a good purposeful person
According to Spare Change it's "sanctimonious BS". Of course, Spare change thinks that the 10 commandments are the perfectly rational rules for living handed down directly from God to Man, so his opinion is clearly contributive.
You do not have to be religous to see that the ten commandments are likely a good set of rules to live by. If you look through out our codified law most(of the commandments) are covered as a basis of rules for society.
Actually, no they're not. Do not murder. Do not steal. Do not commit perjury are the only three that are codified into our criminal code, and all three of those are pretty much universal societal laws. It doesn't take belief in a deity to recognise that murder theft, and dishonesty are counterproductive to a healthy society. NOw, "Do not commit adultery" is included in our civil codes for divorce, but, again, it isn't exactly like the 10 Commandments was unique in its view that adultery was unhealthy. In fact the only commandments that were unique to the 10 commandments - Worshipping God, no idols, keeping the Sabbath - are conspicuously left out of our legal system. And not only is "honour your mother and father" not codified into our system of law, we, in fact, have a number of laws, contrary to the entirety of the 611 Jewish commandments, dictating how parents are allowed to treat children.

so, not only would I submit that the 10 commandments are not a "good set of rules to live by", I would submit that they are woefully lacking, and the majority of the rules that are there (only 3 codified into law) are unnecessary, and theocratic.

More sanctimonious BS from our resident egotist.
Perhaps my dear fellow, you would care to share YOUR formula, or principles, or whatever for leading a good and just life as a human being and member of society.

Profess Jesus as your savior. Romans 10:13, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Say, "Father in Heaven, I believe that Jesusdied for my sins." And God will impart eternal life to your spirit.
Does not compute

You mean you don't believe the stories or you don't know them yet? Because after I tell you all about Jesus you will believe. Or maybe I'm not telling it right. Maybe you need to go to my church and hear my preacher tell it. And if you don't believe him maybe there's something wrong with you. How can everyone in my congregation be wrong? How can so many millions of people be wrong? And who are you to question it? You must be evil. And what if you are wrong? If I'm wrong no biggy but if you're wrong you will burn in hell so just to be safe you should either fake it or shut up about your disbelief.

Also, how can you believe in evolution? The idea that humans came from creatures that once crawled out of the water. How preposterous. Instead you should believe that God poofed fully grown humans and tigers and dogs and birds and toads and snakes into existence. That's where the first land animals all came from stupid. They were POOFED into existence with the wave of God's hand. They didn't evolve into what they are now. Chicken or egg you ask? The fucking CHICKEN. God poofed chickens into existence and they laid the first eggs.

Also. You should treat us Christians with more respect. We are gods. Or we will be when we die. Yes we are going off to live in paradise forever. At least that's what my cult leader told me. Aren't you jealous?
Wow! What a rant. You had me going there for a minute . I thought that you were serious until you got to the part about "your cult leader" :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

But just in case you are serious, there are also millions of people who believe as I do.They can't all be wrong.

While I was typing it I couldn't believe that what I was writing is actually what some people truly believe. LOL.

Perhaps my dear fellow, you would care to share YOUR formula, or principles, or whatever for leading a good and just life as a human being and member of society.

Profess Jesus as your savior. Romans 10:13, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Say, "Father in Heaven, I believe that Jesusdied for my sins." And God will impart eternal life to your spirit.
Does not compute

You mean you don't believe the stories or you don't know them yet? Because after I tell you all about Jesus you will believe. Or maybe I'm not telling it right. Maybe you need to go to my church and hear my preacher tell it. And if you don't believe him maybe there's something wrong with you. How can everyone in my congregation be wrong? How can so many millions of people be wrong? And who are you to question it? You must be evil. And what if you are wrong? If I'm wrong no biggy but if you're wrong you will burn in hell so just to be safe you should either fake it or shut up about your disbelief.

Also, how can you believe in evolution? The idea that humans came from creatures that once crawled out of the water. How preposterous. Instead you should believe that God poofed fully grown humans and tigers and dogs and birds and toads and snakes into existence. That's where the first land animals all came from stupid. They were POOFED into existence with the wave of God's hand. They didn't evolve into what they are now. Chicken or egg you ask? The fucking CHICKEN. God poofed chickens into existence and they laid the first eggs.

Also. You should treat us Christians with more respect. We are gods. Or we will be when we die. Yes we are going off to live in paradise forever. At least that's what my cult leader told me. Aren't you jealous?
Wow! What a rant. You had me going there for a minute . I thought that you were serious until you got to the part about "your cult leader" :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

But just in case you are serious, there are also millions of people who believe as I do.They can't all be wrong.

While I was typing it I couldn't believe that what I was writing is actually what some people truly believe. LOL.
Very good!! I remember you now. Of course your nota member of the flat earth society!

"God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life."

Very true.

Theists have no ‘monopoly’ on morality, virtue, or values.

Indeed, those free from faith often live a more moral, values-filled life than most theists.
Frankly, it is moronic to think that man is capable of policing his own behavior. History proves otherwise.

There are only two alternatives: God or government, and given the vagaries of government (it is, after all, run by man), God would appear to be the only choice.

Well, that's easy. They would say "God".

But that's just silly. It was artificially constructed by a group of men in antiquity and is poorly translated, heavily altered and selectively interpreted. Entire sections of the text have been redacted over time.

Why there is no god
Why is it so important to you that there be no God?

Scares the hell out of you, doesn't it?

You just might be wrong .... in which case, you are .... as we say ... royally fucked!
The real question is, why is it so important to you that there is a God? If you woke up tomorrow, and discovered, with absolute certainty, that God does not exist, would anything really have changed? Would the earth spin any differently? Would the sun shine any less brightly? Would anything in the natural universe really stop running as it always has?

See, the only people who fear that they are wrong, are the theists. Because, if they have to admit that they are wrong, then they have to admit that they have denied themselves countless opportunities at pleasure, and personal experiences all in the name of living up to the standards of a God that never existed.
Aren't you just the sweetest thing?

Your failure to recognize that there is a God is steeped in arrogance. You have continually stated that since there is no God, Man is the "supreme authority" [my phrase], and, as such, is the ultimate authority.

Then, you posit that we, in fact, don't need an ultimate arbiter, that as thinking, rational human beings, we are able to determine the validity, or fallacy, of our own actions.

And, then, you acknowledge Man's relativism, that man will make decisions based on his own best interests.

And, then, you have the temerity to ask me what is there were no God? Stop and think, man.

Man's penchant for self-forgiveness, coupled with his relativist mindset, ensures that there are no rules, no laws, no covenants, no commandments. All things will be relative - relative to the personal well-being of the man making the judgement. Murder will be disallowed - unless, of course, you murder somebody who has upset the judge of those actions. What you find reprehensible, I find justified - what you believe is appropriate, I find morally repugnant. Consistency is impossible, and justice is simply a dream.

You create a moral code that is dependent on who perceives its pertinence. I note that your "suggestions" (never, ever call them a code!!) offers absolutely nothing in structure nor consequences. There is no penalty for ignoring your "suggestions" - there is no definition of propriety in your actions with others. That which I can justify in my mind is permissible, under your approach. If I kill your mother for walking on my grass, I feel justified (if I hadn't felt justified, I wouldn't have done it) - you feel anger

To suggest that society can survive without rules, without laws, without punishment, without compensation is nonsensical. It defies logic, and it defies the evolution of thought and social interaction.

THAT is your discussion ... it is just plain stupid.
You believe you are this gods chosen species in the universe. That’s arrogant

And you think you are a god who will live forever after you die. That’s arrogant ignorant and wishful thinking
I claimed to be a god who will live forever??? Are you that seriously deluded?

Please explain in detail why the list is BS. Would you rather leave the world worse off than you found it?

i have posted several times the sheer stupidity of the overall approach - attacking each one of those serves no practical purpose.

As for your second question (Would you rather leave the world worse off than you found it?), we have seen over the past 75 years the impact of moving away from God. Surely, you can't believe we are better off for forsaking our moral and ethical code.
It’s not morality ruining the world it’s global warming.

Are you saying we were better people from 0-1937?

Then why did god do the flood? All we did was repopulate the earth with new assholes.

You need a ruler, dictator, king or god
Global warming? LOL !!!!

From 0-1937, we were making progress. Since, we've been regressing.

Everybody needs a rule, dictator, king, or god. Guess that's why there's always been some around, huh?

But that's just silly. It was artificially constructed by a group of men in antiquity and is poorly translated, heavily altered and selectively interpreted. Entire sections of the text have been redacted over time.

Why there is no god

You just might be wrong .... in which case, you are .... as we say ... royally fucked!
The real question is, why is it so important to you that there is a God? If you woke up tomorrow, and discovered, with absolute certainty, that God does not exist, would anything really have changed? Would the earth spin any differently? Would the sun shine any less brightly? Would anything in the natural universe really stop running as it always has?

See, the only people who fear that they are wrong, are the theists. Because, if they have to admit that they are wrong, then they have to admit that they have denied themselves countless opportunities at pleasure, and personal experiences all in the name of living up to the standards of a God that never existed.
And he should keep in mind what I want has nothing to do with what I believe. I would love to believe there’s a heaven but as much as I want it to be true I can’t believe. Just can’t fake it.

Why would someone who truly believes they’re going to heaven do anything but pitty us? Instead they argue. But who are they trying to convince? Me or themselves.
We do not argue with you - we respond to your attacks. A world of difference.

Feel free to pick your path to eternity - and allow me to pick mine. (Oh, and pray like crazy that you're right and I'm not - cuz, if you're wrong and I'm right, you're royally fucked!)
I’m not worried. I know you are wrong
As you wish ... it is your choice, and your future. I feel pretty comfortable about mine. Why are you scared shitless?

Does not compute

See how ignorance just runs rampant in the atheist community??

Does not compute

As a matter of fact, they can ....

Does not compute

As a matter of fact, they can ....
Well...by that logic, then so can the millions of theists. In fact, since the one true commonly held belief of atheists is, "There is no God", while theists cannot not agree on a single thing about the nature of God, it is much more likely that, if the atheists are all wrong, so are a vast majority of theists. How do any of you know, with absolute certainty, that your flavour of theism is the correct one?

Why there is no god

Aren't you just the sweetest thing?

Your failure to recognize that there is a God is steeped in arrogance. You have continually stated that since there is no God, Man is the "supreme authority" [my phrase], and, as such, is the ultimate authority.

Then, you posit that we, in fact, don't need an ultimate arbiter, that as thinking, rational human beings, we are able to determine the validity, or fallacy, of our own actions.

And, then, you acknowledge Man's relativism, that man will make decisions based on his own best interests.

And, then, you have the temerity to ask me what is there were no God? Stop and think, man.

Man's penchant for self-forgiveness, coupled with his relativist mindset, ensures that there are no rules, no laws, no covenants, no commandments. All things will be relative - relative to the personal well-being of the man making the judgement. Murder will be disallowed - unless, of course, you murder somebody who has upset the judge of those actions. What you find reprehensible, I find justified - what you believe is appropriate, I find morally repugnant. Consistency is impossible, and justice is simply a dream.

You create a moral code that is dependent on who perceives its pertinence. I note that your "suggestions" (never, ever call them a code!!) offers absolutely nothing in structure nor consequences. There is no penalty for ignoring your "suggestions" - there is no definition of propriety in your actions with others. That which I can justify in my mind is permissible, under your approach. If I kill your mother for walking on my grass, I feel justified (if I hadn't felt justified, I wouldn't have done it) - you feel anger

To suggest that society can survive without rules, without laws, without punishment, without compensation is nonsensical. It defies logic, and it defies the evolution of thought and social interaction.

THAT is your discussion ... it is just plain stupid.
You believe you are this gods chosen species in the universe. That’s arrogant

And you think you are a god who will live forever after you die. That’s arrogant ignorant and wishful thinking
I claimed to be a god who will live forever??? Are you that seriously deluded?
What happens to you after you die? Do you go to a place called heaven where you live in paradise forever? Sounds like a god to me

Does not compute

Very good!! I remember you now. Of course your nota member of the flat earth society!
The very idea someone could have said what I said and be serious is insane.

Being an atheist is like being sober with a bunch of drunks but no one will let you drive. I’m glad for usmb. Let’s me know I’m not the only one.

1. Be open minded and willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control their own body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
  9. There is no right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.
Better than the ones provided by God where the first four say........You better worship me!

"God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life."

Very true.

Indeed, those free from faith often live a more moral, values-filled life than most theists.
Frankly, it is moronic to think that man is capable of policing his own behavior. History proves otherwise.

There are only two alternatives: God or government, and given the vagaries of government (it is, after all, run by man), God would appear to be the only choice.
We just need to take the money out of politics. Then companies can afford to pay taxes and good wages

We d

Very true.

But we do police ourselves. That means what you said is moronic

And he should keep in mind what I want has nothing to do with what I believe. I would love to believe there’s a heaven but as much as I want it to be true I can’t believe. Just can’t fake it.

Why would someone who truly believes they’re going to heaven do anything but pitty us? Instead they argue. But who are they trying to convince? Me or themselves.
We do not argue with you - we respond to your attacks. A world of difference.

Feel free to pick your path to eternity - and allow me to pick mine. (Oh, and pray like crazy that you're right and I'm not - cuz, if you're wrong and I'm right, you're royally fucked!)
I’m not worried. I know you are wrong
As you wish ... it is your choice, and your future. I feel pretty comfortable about mine. Why are you scared shitless?
I’m not. And I understand your reasons for believing. Better than your
. It’s why I’m incapable

In a way I’m jealous. Must be comforting thinking you’re a god

Does not compute

See how ignorance just runs rampant in the atheist community??
I’m just glad to have a community. You jump up and down at church we do it here

Forum List

Back