Average voter is unable to accurately assess politicians, new research shows

And, the answer is....what?

I hate to tell y'all this, but voters today are the most informed in our history. The availability of facts and news is far greater than ever. With the internet, there's no excuse not to be informed.

Consider back in the 19th century. Just what do you think a voter out on the frontier knew about the candidates? Next to nothing in most cases. Today, though, we know them TOO intimately!

Voters today see more propaganda than ever before, yes. That hardly constitutes beihng well informed. Most people choose a "news" outlet and take their word as gospel. That's not well informed, it's completely indoctrinated.

A shit ton of the posters on this board are highly indoctrinated with propaganda.

And what do you propose to do about that? Censorship? Government control of "news" to make sure we get the "right" thing? Mandatory study by the voters?

There isn't anything that can be done. You have over 300 million minds in this country getting dumber by the minute. This IS the zombie apocalypse. It's just not the way wee thought it would happen. A review of history would show that such societies eventually implode on themselves. That's what we'll be "doing" about it.

I hate to tell y'all this, but voters today are the most informed in our history. The availability of facts and news is far greater than ever. With the internet, there's no excuse not to be informed.

Consider back in the 19th century. Just what do you think a voter out on the frontier knew about the candidates? Next to nothing in most cases. Today, though, we know them TOO intimately!

Voters today see more propaganda than ever before, yes. That hardly constitutes beihng well informed. Most people choose a "news" outlet and take their word as gospel. That's not well informed, it's completely indoctrinated.

A shit ton of the posters on this board are highly indoctrinated with propaganda.[/QUOTE]

From what I have read of your posts, you would most likely say the posters who are indoctrinated are Dem posters. True or false?

I'd say it isn't a partisan issue and those who makes it one with such questions are most likely indoctrinated lemmings.

Where is it that you all see all this "propaganda"?

It is not progaganda that the Repub party primarilay represents the very wealthiest among us.

It is not propaganda that the Dems need to cater to the poor and middle classes to keep getting elected.

It is not propaganda that the country is extremely divided along party lines.

It is not proaganda that NOTHING positive is getting done in Congress.

It is not propagada that the economy has some life in it and could do better.

Among the extremes of both parties, believing propaganda may be the norm.

But most level headed Americans take the propaganda with a grain of salt. And call "bullshit" when they hear it.
Proof on my assertion? Obama was re elected. That was a huge rebuttal of the bullshit the repubs were selling. And the smart Americans called them on it.

A shit ton of the posters on this board are highly indoctrinated with propaganda.[/QUOTE]

From what I have read of your posts, you would most likely say the posters who are indoctrinated are Dem posters. True or false?

I'd say it isn't a partisan issue and those who makes it one with such questions are most likely indoctrinated lemmings.[/QUOTE]

Did I mention "partisan"? Or was I just curious about what you think? But fuk it. Who cares. It won't make a difference to anything. The whole idea of "message boards" having any value is crazy. It's just a way to express dislike for the "other side". And to jerk some chains. Actually quite a waste of time. But it is what it is. I do it way to much.

I do get a laugh at the number of people who have tens of thousands of posts and seem to think that they are really doing something meaningful for their beliefs. Saying the same thing over and over and over and over. If I read one more stupid abortion, gun or Obama care thread, I may hurl my Christmas cookies. Again.

315 million people in the country. I think sometimes you will see as many as 250 people logged in to the site. And most are "visitors". Laughing at us. Yes sir I can see how people think that they are "influencing" other citizens. Funny shit.

Where is it that you all see all this "propaganda"?

It is not progaganda that the Repub party primarilay represents the very wealthiest among us.

It is not propaganda that the Dems need to cater to the poor and middle classes to keep getting elected.

It is not propaganda that the country is extremely divided along party lines.

It is not proaganda that NOTHING positive is getting done in Congress.

It is not propagada that the economy has some life in it and could do better.

Among the extremes of both parties, believing propaganda may be the norm.

But most level headed Americans take the propaganda with a grain of salt. And call "bullshit" when they hear it.
Proof on my assertion? Obama was re elected.
That was a huge rebuttal of the bullshit the repubs were selling. And the smart Americans called them on it.

Case in point, Mac.

I'm not going to waste time exposing the partisan fallacy in zeke's post. You too, are obviously indoctrinated. Because Mac already points it out clearly.

Yes, they are very informed about what "freebies" they'll get with a progressive vote.

As I said...there's no excuse not to be informed. At least...better informed than THAT comment indicates.

Sure it is.

Why be informed when you can vote Democrat?

hate-thinking-vote-obama.jpg

And how does a voter assess a politician? Consider some recent examples such as the Michigan governor who thought the right to work law was too controversial? Or consider Bush II claiming he was not into nation building? Consider that Reagan raised taxes many times or Carter lowered taxes on the rich? JFK lowered taxes too. Or Obama continued lots of Homeland security policies? Or Bush condoned torture and invaded a sovereign nation? Or FDR sent American citizens to camps. My point here is how do you assess the representatives when they are managed by special interests. Now consider today that K street and corporations or think tanks manage the politicians? Look at the power Taxes have procured. The power of the NRA to protect a climate of violence. Norquist control of congressional voting. Look at the mid term elections and the idiots elected because few even vote. The blame here goes all around.

"...that constitution of our nature which makes us feel more intensely what affects us directly than what affects us indirectly through others, necessarily leads to conflict between individuals. Each, in consequence, has a greater regard for his own safety or happiness, than for the safety or happiness of others; and, where these come in opposition, is ready to sacrifice the interests of others to his own. And hence, the tendency to a universal state of conflict, between individual and individual; accompanied by the connected passions of suspicion, jealousy, anger and revenge — followed by insolence, fraud and cruelty — and, if not prevented by some controlling power, ending in a state of universal discord and confusion, destructive of the social state and the ends for which it is ordained. This controlling power, wherever vested, or by whomsoever exercised, is GOVERNMENT." Disquisition on Government John C. Calhoun John C. Calhoun: Disquisition on Government

Nice try, but most of what you said was completely ridiculous......

December 24, 2012

(Phys.org)—A new study has thrown doubt on the ability of the average voter to make an accurate judgement of the performance of their politicians, showing that voter biases appear to be deep-seated and broad.

Prior research has suggested that random events such as shark attacks or hurricanes decrease the votes received by incumbent politicians, regardless of their actual performance in office. Similarly, voters appear to give undue weight to recent economic performance and are easily swayed by rhetoric.

In a series of novel experiments, researchers Gregory A. Huber (Yale), Seth J. Hill (University of California, San Diego), and Gabriel S. Lenz (University of California, Berkeley) found that voters are susceptible to these biases even when given financial incentives to behave otherwise and when the information necessary to avoid these biases was readily available.

Most people are too stupid to vote. Fact!

No, they are not most informed......they are bought and paid for. Our media are so thorougly biased and incompetent that the general public can kiss goodbye any chance at all of media coverage like we had back in the day of Cronkite. The candidates lie, cheat, and steal in order to get their voices heard and idiot people lap it all up like dogs. Many voters are more concerned with getting laid and smoking weed than they are about real issues that affect the country. Many voters are more concerned with getting all they can get without putting in a day's work. Add these things together and anyone can see why this country is in the state of affairs that it's in. Probably 85% of the voters in this country are NOT informed of either what's really going on and/or they simply do not care......they just want to be spoon fed the info in brief tidbits on the evening news. Pure laziness.

December 24, 2012

(Phys.org)—A new study has thrown doubt on the ability of the average voter to make an accurate judgement of the performance of their politicians, showing that voter biases appear to be deep-seated and broad.

Prior research has suggested that random events such as shark attacks or hurricanes decrease the votes received by incumbent politicians, regardless of their actual performance in office. Similarly, voters appear to give undue weight to recent economic performance and are easily swayed by rhetoric.

In a series of novel experiments, researchers Gregory A. Huber (Yale), Seth J. Hill (University of California, San Diego), and Gabriel S. Lenz (University of California, Berkeley) found that voters are susceptible to these biases even when given financial incentives to behave otherwise and when the information necessary to avoid these biases was readily available.

I can't say as I've delved deeply into the link, so my comment is not directly about that. But who doesn't know that politicians are often chameleons who often profess one set of values (like family values and so-called moral values) while behaving and even voting in ways that make a mockery of their stated values. The big money has corrupted the system and the people who run it.

December 24, 2012

No, they are not most informed......they are bought and paid for. Our media are so thorougly biased and incompetent that the general public can kiss goodbye any chance at all of media coverage like we had back in the day of Cronkite. The candidates lie, cheat, and steal in order to get their voices heard and idiot people lap it all up like dogs. Many voters are more concerned with getting laid and smoking weed than they are about real issues that affect the country. Many voters are more concerned with getting all they can get without putting in a day's work. Add these things together and anyone can see why this country is in the state of affairs that it's in. Probably 85% of the voters in this country are NOT informed of either what's really going on and/or they simply do not care......they just want to be spoon fed the info in brief tidbits on the evening news. Pure laziness.

I'd like to see you prove one point of that whining rant, including the part about media coverage back during the days of Cronkite.

By they way, if voters are bought and paid for, how much did YOU get for YOUR vote and who gave it to you?

I can't say as I've delved deeply into the link, so my comment is not directly about that. But who doesn't know that politicians are often chameleons who often profess one set of values (like family values and so-called moral values) while behaving and even voting in ways that make a mockery of their stated values. The big money has corrupted the system and the people who run it.

And, what? You think that's all something new?

You just described American politics since our first election.

Yes, they are very informed about what "freebies" they'll get with a progressive vote.

As I said...there's no excuse not to be informed. At least...better informed than THAT comment indicates.

Sure it is.

Why be informed when you can vote Democrat?

As opposed to republican? How many republican voters think their party gives a shit about the deficit or the size of government?

Forum List

Back