Back people culturally appropriated the word "posse" from 3 white boys

Godboy

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2008
OMG! I did some digging and made a hilarious discovery!!!!! Do you know when the word "posse" was introduced into modern black slang? It was in 1987 and it came from the Beasty Boys song "Posse in effect". From there, Ice Cube, Dr Dre and Sir Mix Alot (among others) began using it and the word stuck. They got it from 3 white boys!

N.W.A, of course, single-handedly elevated gangsta rap into a marketable hip-hop subgenre, selling three million copies of their 1988 debut Straight Outta Compton. And while their sound might at first seem a world removed from the mainstream-friendly Beasties, MC Ren wasn’t the only fan within N.W.A. Before N.W.A, Ice Cube was in a trio called C.I.A., who were basically Beasties knockoffs. On their 1987 EP Cru’ In Action! (produced by another future N.W.A member, Dr. Dre) they copied Licensed to Ill’s rhyme patterns, used samples from the album and employed similar turns of phrase on songs like “My Posse” and “Ill-Legal.” “C.I.A. was a Beastie Boys rip-off,” said Alonzo Williams, a mentor to the group.

‘Licensed to Ill’ at 30: How Three Bratty White Kids Influenced the Creation of Gangsta Rap

Last edited:
Hey Lebron, it isnt YOUR word, its theirs, but im guessing they, unlike you, wont mind if other people use it.

2060309-beastie-boys-7-617-409.jpg

OMG! I did some digging and made a hilarious discovery!!!!! Do you know when the word "posse" was introduced into modern black slang? It was in 1987 and it came from the Beasty Boys song "Posse in effect". From there, Ice Cube, Dr Dre and Sir Mix Alot (among others) began using it and the word stuck. They got it from 3 white boys!

N.W.A, of course, single-handedly elevated gangsta rap into a marketable hip-hop subgenre, selling three million copies of their 1988 debut Straight Outta Compton. And while their sound might at first seem a world removed from the mainstream-friendly Beasties, MC Ren wasn’t the only fan within N.W.A. Before N.W.A, Ice Cube was in a trio called C.I.A., who were basically Beasties knockoffs. On their 1987 EP Cru’ In Action! (produced by another future N.W.A member, Dr. Dre) they copied Licensed to Ill’s rhyme patterns, used samples from the album and employed similar turns of phrase on songs like “My Posse” and “Ill-Legal.” “C.I.A. was a Beastie Boys rip-off,” said Alonzo Williams, a mentor to the group.

‘Licensed to Ill’ at 30: How Three Bratty White Kids Influenced the Creation of Gangsta Rap
and they got it from the Texas Rangers who organized "posse's" quite a few times back in the late 1800's....

Forum List

Back