Backfire: Memphis City Council Finds Out TN Law Says Nathanel Bedford Forrest Can't Be Removed

racists gotta protect their heroes.
Very few people would call him a hero.

I have no doubt that the guy is a piece of shit, but why remove his corpse and tombstone/statue? Leave it there if only for historical purposes.

I think religion is fucking retarded. There are temples that were responsible for great human suffering in times past (all in the name of their god), but i sure as fuck dont like it when the Taliban blows these religious sites up.

Dog_poops_on_flag.jpg

A fitting tribute...

And I'm sure it was just a coincidence that you chose a Mexican dog to put your breakfast on that trendy rectangular plate!

According to Tennessee state law:

Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 46, Chapter 4, deals with the functions of disinterment, and requires not only justification for digging up long-buried bodies, but a judge’s approval as well.

According to the law, bodies may only be moved if a burial ground is found to have been abandoned, seriously neglected or somehow rendered “inconsistent with due and proper reverence or respect for the memory of the dead.”

In addition, Tennessee law protects all war memorials, regardless of war. “No statue, monument, memorial, nameplate, or plaque … located on public property, may be relocated, removed, altered, renamed, rededicated, or otherwise disturbed.”

“No statue, monument, memorial, nameplate, plaque, historic flag display, school, street, bridge, building, park, preserve, or reserve … erected for, or named or dedicated in honor of, any historical military figure, historical military event, military organization, or military unit, and is located on public property, may be renamed or rededicated.”

We now know that Forrest's remains and monument will be protected.

Yep.. If ya know anything about Memphis, then you know that it's run by barely literate BUFFOONS! Think Maxine Waters, Sheila Jackson Lee, John Conyers, Alcee Hastings among other IMBECILES that the moon-bats sent to Congress... THEY'RE IDIOTS!

I am talking ignorant as a STONE! And it is due largely to their 'governance' that Memphis has become the geometric center, of the asshole of the Universe.

"Backfire: Memphis City Council Finds Out TN Law Says Nathanel Bedford Forrest Can't Be Removed"

That the ridiculous right continues to obsess over this irrelevant nonsense further confirms republicans are incapable of pursuing responsible governance.

Personally, I wouldn't object to him being moved to a Confederate Cemetery, and his statue towed out to sea on a leaky raft.

But, I don't live in Tennessee, so it's really none of my business.

is it any of yours?
I am, and it's mine.

There are some wonderful Confederate cemeteries all over the state, a huge one near Obion, and one just down the road in Mosheim, where some of the bridge burners are buried, they destroyed the lick creed bridge in Mohawk, and where hung from the remains of the bridge. After an industrial park went in around the cemetery around 1995 or so, they wanted to move the cemetery, but the people living in the area decided it would be a disgrace to dig up anyone. As it should be, from Hitler to Stalin, General Lee to Ronald Regan, they all had blood on their hands, and no blood is clean, but they still deserve to be left wherever they lay.

Yeah....right.....

Why don't you go look up the history and debate that went with those laws and find out for sure; rather than make shit up?
half right. it was passed in 2013 to protect confederates. so modern racists.

Not even close.

"It is effective as of April 1, 2013, and applies to any military item from the French and Indian War through the Mid-East wars, and all US wars in between, including the War Between the States."
it was introduced and passed by republicans when the memphis city council tried to change the name of parks honoring the confederacy, jefferson davis, and forrest.
that was the impetus. have to protect those heroes of the 'war between the states' as the law calls it.

And covers everything from PreRevolutionary to today.

"It is effective as of April 1, 2013, and applies to any military item from the French and Indian War through the Mid-East wars, and all US wars in between, including the War Between the States."

As usual, your BS stinks
they couldn't be too transparent in their efforts.
again, the law only exists because some republicans didn't want memphis to remove the names of traitors from city parks.
Well, to be fair, most Tennesseans consider Memphis to be the pimple on our ass. Yet we can't get another state to take the damn city.

The first paragraph in Wiki about LG Forrest.

Nathan Bedford Forrest (July 13, 1821 – October 29, 1877) was a lieutenant general in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War. He is remembered as a self-educated, brutal, and innovative cavalry leader during the war and as a leading Southern advocate in the postwar years. He was a pledged delegate from Tennessee to the New York Democratic national convention of 4 July 1868. He served as the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, but later distanced himself from the organization.[3]

Do you notice he was a Democrat?

The whole wiki page is a good read, with quotes from General Grant, General Lee, President Davis and many others, and about how this relatively little known LG displayed some amazing innovative assaults, and was truly underutilized by the heads of the Confederacy.

If unleashed, Forrest could have made Sherman's march look like a wet dream, for Forrest was almost totally ruthless and a man with little patience.

People need to never plan any vacations in the lowlife city

they want to be Ghouls and vindictive. who want to visit a place a like that

Whoa slow down there! To hell with the city council. :)

Beale Street is awesome Steph. The buggy tours (the best is at night).The duck walk at the Peabody. The Memphis Bell. The BBQ tournaments. Graceland of course. And the list is endless.

So totally over the top amazing. I love Memphis to death.

half right. it was passed in 2013 to protect confederates. so modern racists.

Not even close.

it was introduced and passed by republicans when the memphis city council tried to change the name of parks honoring the confederacy, jefferson davis, and forrest.
that was the impetus. have to protect those heroes of the 'war between the states' as the law calls it.

As usual, your BS stinks
again, the law only exists because some republicans didn't want memphis to remove the names of traitors from city parks.

They are protecting dead racist democrats.
Hmmm! Why are republicans making laws that protect dead racist democrats? Very interesting!

According to Tennessee state law:

Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 46, Chapter 4, deals with the functions of disinterment, and requires not only justification for digging up long-buried bodies, but a judge’s approval as well.

According to the law, bodies may only be moved if a burial ground is found to have been abandoned, seriously neglected or somehow rendered “inconsistent with due and proper reverence or respect for the memory of the dead.”

In addition, Tennessee law protects all war memorials, regardless of war. “No statue, monument, memorial, nameplate, or plaque … located on public property, may be relocated, removed, altered, renamed, rededicated, or otherwise disturbed.”

“No statue, monument, memorial, nameplate, plaque, historic flag display, school, street, bridge, building, park, preserve, or reserve … erected for, or named or dedicated in honor of, any historical military figure, historical military event, military organization, or military unit, and is located on public property, may be renamed or rededicated.”

We now know that Forrest's remains and monument will be protected.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not even close.

As usual, your BS stinks

Hmmm! Why are republicans making laws that protect dead racist democrats? Very interesting!

I didn't notice the law mentioning anything about racists.

As usual, your BS stinks

Did you expect racist to make laws that blatantly expose their affinity for dead racist heroes?

As usual, your BS stinks

Did you expect racist to make laws that blatantly expose their affinity for dead racist heroes?

Why do race baiting morons like you assume anything that thwarts your totalitarians schemes is motivated by racism?

Well, I guess I answered my own question.

Why do race baiting morons like you assume anything that thwarts your totalitarians schemes is motivated by racism?

Why do bigots (big guts) like you try to project the evil conservatives do, or did in the past, onto liberals or the left? You know the democrats during N.B. Forrest's time were conservative democrats and had more in common with modern republicans than modern democrats.. That is why southern republicans want to protect their fellow southern dead racist conservatives, regardless of party affiliation!

BTWm Buc90 introduced the word "racist" into the conversation when he said: "They are protecting dead racist democrats." I reserve the right to respond to that any way I choose. KMA if you don't like it!

Why do bigots (big guts) like you try to project the evil conservatives do, or did in the past, onto liberals or the left? You know the democrats during N.B. Forrest's time were conservative democrats and had more in common with modern republicans than modern democrats.. That is why southern republicans want to protect their fellow southern dead racist conservatives, regardless of party affiliation!

BTWm Buc90 introduced the word "racist" into the conversation when he said: "They are protecting dead racist democrats." I reserve the right to respond to that any way I choose. KMA if you don't like it!

Only an asshole believes anything worthy is accomplished by digging up the grave of someone who has been dead for 150 years.

This is a witch hunt, and those pursuing it are the lowest class of scumbag. History is history. Only sleazy totalitarians douches try to erase it.

Only an asshole believes anything worthy is accomplished by digging up the grave of someone who has been dead for 150 years.

This is a witch hunt, and those pursuing it are the lowest class of scumbag. History is history. Only sleazy totalitarians douches try to erase it.
Totally agree!

Forum List

Back