Background checks in Colorado stop 38 from buying guns who were convicted of ....

Background checks in Colorado stop 38 from buying guns who were convicted of homicides, 600 burglars, 1300 who committed felonious assaults, 400 had existing restraining orders were stopped, and 236 showed up to pick up their guns but were arrested because of existing warrants for violent felonies

Colorado gun law now requires background checks to buy guns - Video on NBCNews.com

Regulation is NOT gun control. Gun control is a STRICTLY NO GUN zone!
There IS a difference, and ENFORCED REGULATION *WORKS*!

so they'll get them somewhere else......

Hey genius...why are 38 people who commited homicide allowed to breathe AND be out of jail???????????

Nobody who ever stole a gun or bought one on the black market ever needed to pass a background check, asswipe.

Charmed as always, Odddork. That is not the point.

but it is the entire point, background checks will do nothing to prevent gun violence by crimnals and crazy people.

sane law abiding people do not commit mass murders
Another Middle of the road Starkey post....LOL....that guy is a joke....he doesnt understand that criminals...do NOT follow the law.....

Actually, a couple of weeks ago, I heard that between 250,000 and 400,000 guns a year are stolen with the first figure representing a number that's actually reported and the second number representing an estimate of the actual number of guns believed to be stolen with about 150,000 either not reported because the owner didn't know when the theft (alleged theft) took place or because the theft was not reported at all.

Frankly, it would not surprise me if some of the gun thefts never took place (falsely reporting a crime is a crime in and of itself) or that family members or friends simply took the guns for a wide variety of reasons, including possibly not wanting the guns in the house in the first place.

Ok, thanks for making my point, no background check laws would prevent those guns from being in the hands of criminals or crazy people.

I haven't made any point for you at all. These are examples of irresponsible gun ownership. People should be required to 'secure' their guns somewhere safe when not they're not at home since a firearm is not the equivalent of a stolen DVD player when it comes to someone being in the possession of stolen goods. People should also be required by law to report it to the police when a gun is missing. And gun insurance is also a damn good idea. None of those ideas infringe on anyone's right to own guns.

It's time to raise the standards for what constitutes responsible gun ownership.

Well men and women should "Secure" their private areas so we dont get abortions......

So what you're saying is a STOLEN firearm is not providing a background check or any way to stop criminals....ding ding ding......maybe you get it...

and PEople secure their houses....with these things called locks.......

I think this is a great thing, and for all those who are opposed to this are seriously demented. Here is why:
1) Nobody said these new regulations were going to eradicate all gun related crimes.
2) The new regulations prevented hundreds of criminals from obtaining a gun legally. (what since does it make to hand over guns to violent offenders?)
3) If you are a law abiding citizen, you can purchase a firearm.
4) Criminals were arrested on per-existing warrants when trying to pick up their gun (that's a good thing right?)
5) The government is not trying to "take your guns." I own multiple guns myself as I hunt and go shooting at the range. I have yet to receive a notice telling me to turn my guns in.
6) Maybe you can't prevent criminals from obtaining a firearm, because of the black market, but at least we can take measure to make it a little harder for them to obtain such a weapon.
7) Perhaps the prevention of hundred of gun sales legally to criminals will ease the flow of guns on the black market. Did you ever ponder that?

Nobody who ever stole a gun or bought one on the black market ever needed to pass a background check, asswipe.

but it is the entire point, background checks will do nothing to prevent gun violence by crimnals and crazy people.

And "sane law abiding" people do not have an issue obtaining a firearm. I have purchased 1 recently, as have many of my friends. No problems on our end. I mean, we are those law abiding citizens you were talking about. :eusa_whistle:

And "sane law abiding" people do not have an issue obtaining a firearm. I have purchased 1 recently, as have many of my friends. No problems on our end. I mean, we are those law abiding citizens you were talking about. :eusa_whistle:

Ok first why do YOU need a gun? Second background checks are fine...criminals shouldnt have them....but we already had that. It was passed in the Clinton administration.

But noone every tells me why these attacks happen at places that dont allow guns, but never happen at places, people KNOW will have guns?

Great, now they'll buy even more powerful guns on the black market.

Where IS that black market, pray tell? Do you know? Does anyone really know if it really exists or where it is? I assume that it wouldn't be at a stationary spot where a raid could take place. So, it probably moves, assuming it exists. Would you know how to find it? And would YOU just blindly show up in some dark alley late at night with a wad of hundred dollar bills to buy a gun? Don't you think it's likely that a person that naive is just likely to get robbed (or worse) by someone who knows you're not going to go to the police to report why you were in that dark alley in the first place?

when dealing with criminals "caveat emptor" is vital to your survival.

But to your question. I could go to a safe location in New Orleans today and buy any kind of gun that I wanted. The price would be higher than a gun shop, but they are available--and no background checks, imagine that.

I do believe that sometimes criminals can find a way to get a gun from another criminal. That sometimes someone really desperate will find a way to get a guy. But I think you are basing your idea of a 'black market' on watching TV and movies. If there is a place that you, an ordinary law-abiding citizen, knows of where you can go and buy an illegal gun, why don't you tell the police, why don't you turn these people in? And if it is so obvious and easy, why don't the police know about it? Why don't they bust these people? Because there is no 'black market,' there is no place where ordinary people know to just go and buy a gun. If it was that easy, all those people with records that the background check stopped would have gone there instead because they would know a background check would keep them from getting a legal gun.

Where IS that black market, pray tell? Do you know? Does anyone really know if it really exists or where it is? I assume that it wouldn't be at a stationary spot where a raid could take place. So, it probably moves, assuming it exists. Would you know how to find it? And would YOU just blindly show up in some dark alley late at night with a wad of hundred dollar bills to buy a gun? Don't you think it's likely that a person that naive is just likely to get robbed (or worse) by someone who knows you're not going to go to the police to report why you were in that dark alley in the first place?

But to your question. I could go to a safe location in New Orleans today and buy any kind of gun that I wanted. The price would be higher than a gun shop, but they are available--and no background checks, imagine that.

I do believe that sometimes criminals can find a way to get a gun from another criminal. That sometimes someone really desperate will find a way to get a guy. But I think you are basing your idea of a 'black market' on watching TV and movies. If there is a place that you, an ordinary law-abiding citizen, knows of where you can go and buy an illegal gun, why don't you tell the police, why don't you turn these people in? And if it is so obvious and easy, why don't the police know about it? Why don't they bust these people? Because there is no 'black market,' there is no place where ordinary people know to just go and buy a gun. If it was that easy, all those people with records that the background check stopped would have gone there instead because they would know a background check would keep them from getting a legal gun.

Uh it's not easy, but it's not that hard....it's like finding a drug dealer.....it takes a little time and patience....but you can.

The better question is why deprive people of their rights to enforce bs laws that do nothing to stop the violence they are supposed to?

Ok first why do YOU need a gun? Second background checks are fine...criminals shouldnt have them....but we already had that. It was passed in the Clinton administration.

But noone every tells me why these attacks happen at places that dont allow guns, but never happen at places, people KNOW will have guns?

First off, I don't need a gun, but I enjoy hunting, and recreational shooting, and I am a law abiding citizen, therefore I have a right to have one if I so choose. Second off, it isn't obvious to some people that background checks will prevent criminals from obtaining firearms legally, as I was replying to someone else. Thirdly, asking why the attacks happen in gun-free zones, rather where people are known to have guns, is redundant. Sadly it is not criminals who are committing these mass murders, they are usually committed by people from well-to-do families and do not have a record i.e. I fail to see how all of these new gun restrictions will prevent said atrocities.

Either we have a gun violence issue in this country, or we have a mental illness issue with young kids. But we cannot use one to try and patch the other. Either we need to address mental issues of children in the country so they do not feel like mass murder is their last resort, or we need to address the amount of guns we have in the country, that are readily available to criminals for them to commit more crimes.

First off, I don't need a gun, but I enjoy hunting, and recreational shooting, and I am a law abiding citizen, therefore I have a right to have one if I so choose. Second off, it isn't obvious to some people that background checks will prevent criminals from obtaining firearms legally, as I was replying to someone else. Thirdly, asking why the attacks happen in gun-free zones, rather where people are known to have guns, is redundant. Sadly it is not criminals who are committing these mass murders, they are usually committed by people from well-to-do families and do not have a record i.e. I fail to see how all of these new gun restrictions will prevent said atrocities.

Either we have a gun violence issue in this country, or we have a mental illness issue with young kids. But we cannot use one to try and patch the other. Either we need to address mental issues of children in the country so they do not feel like mass murder is their last resort, or we need to address the amount of guns we have in the country, that are readily available to criminals for them to commit more crimes.

I agree these laws are useless...thanks for backing me up. We need to lock the crazies up and quit making up insane diseases like ADD or claims like 1 in every 4 people is autistic......we need real numbers, not advocacy groups and get people help, but keep the truely crazy away from society.
And we need to execute people that do this stuff....How does the Aurora shooter not have had a trial yet? It's been over a year......

Uh it's not easy, but it's not that hard....it's like finding a drug dealer.....it takes a little time and patience....but you can.

The better question is why deprive people of their rights to enforce bs laws that do nothing to stop the violence they are supposed to?

You believe this. You don't know it. Have you ever done it? Bought an illegal gun on the streets? You think it's not that hard because of what you've seen on TV and in movies, that's all. Reality is different than what you see on televison and in movies.

We already have backgroud checks before buying firearms.

Criminals do not submit to background checks when they buy guns from each other, neither do they submit background checks on guns they steal from law abiding citizens.

this is a red herring.

want to stop gun violence????? lock up the mentally ill and lock up anyone who commits a crime with a gun for 75 years with no chance of parole.

How many guns are stolen from 'responsible citizens' in this country every year?
How will background checks stop that?

You believe this. You don't know it. Have you ever done it? Bought an illegal gun on the streets? You think it's not that hard because of what you've seen on TV and in movies, that's all. Reality is different than what you see on televison and in movies.

No dumbass, I know people that did, are you really naive enough to believe it's hard to get a weapon? How do people get guns in Chicago to kill hundreds each year? You know it's impossible to buy a gun in Chicago that the USSC told them to stop those laws? Places that it's hard to get a gun legally? Oakland, Memphis, Chicago, Detroit, seeing a pattern here? if you dont look at the top 10 murder rates in cities.

I agree these laws are useless...thanks for backing me up. We need to lock the crazies up and quit making up insane diseases like ADD or claims like 1 in every 4 people is autistic......we need real numbers, not advocacy groups and get people help, but keep the truely crazy away from society.
And we need to execute people that do this stuff....How does the Aurora shooter not have had a trial yet? It's been over a year......

I concur. They are two different situations and Obama is failing to see that. He thinks that a band-aid approach will work, and if we squeeze really tight on the gun laws, then the crazy shootings will stop. That is just absurd, and only fools will fall for that.

I concur. They are two different situations and Obama is failing to see that. He thinks that a band-aid approach will work, and if we squeeze really tight on the gun laws, then the crazy shootings will stop. That is just absurd, and only fools will fall for that.

I agree, it's stupid, because liberals would say after another shooting, nope we need even tighter gun laws....not realizing other factors are there...liberals live in a vaccum.

Background checks in Colorado stop 38 from buying guns who were convicted of homicides, 600 burglars, 1300 who committed felonious assaults, 400 had existing restraining orders were stopped, and 236 showed up to pick up their guns but were arrested because of existing warrants for violent felonies

Colorado gun law now requires background checks to buy guns - Video on NBCNews.com

Colorado has an estimated 2012 population of 5,187,582.

The background check stopped 38 people.

Want to do the math yourself or should I help you out?

I agree, it's stupid, because liberals would say after another shooting, nope we need even tighter gun laws....not realizing other factors are there...liberals live in a vaccum.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if another couple school shootings happened the liberals wouldn't try to ban guns all together.

No dumbass, I know people that did, are you really naive enough to believe it's hard to get a weapon? How do people get guns in Chicago to kill hundreds each year? You know it's impossible to buy a gun in Chicago that the USSC told them to stop those laws? Places that it's hard to get a gun legally? Oakland, Memphis, Chicago, Detroit, seeing a pattern here? if you dont look at the top 10 murder rates in cities.

Why do you need to call me a name? I've been respectful to you. Is that how you respond to people who are respectful to you? Using crude insults in a debate simply shows your own limitations and minimizes anything you have to say.,

In Chicago, it is the criminal element who are getting guns from each other, not ordinary citizens who are getting guns. These are gangs, killing each other, not ordinary citizens killing ordinary citizens. Those top murder rates are in cities with big ghettos and lots of gang violence. They don't have much to do with ordinary people living in the average neighborhood in the US.

The actual issue is for the police to work on getting rid of gangs, not allowing ordinary citizens to have unlimited firearms and ammunition so that no one is safe anywhere because some ordinary citizen decides to murder his/her spouse or go nuts and kill a bunch of people.

Colorado has an estimated 2012 population of 5,187,582.

The background check stopped 38 people.

Want to do the math yourself or should I help you out?

38 people convicted of homicide. And out of that 38, how many guns could b prevented from hitting the streets, 100 or so? I know it's a small number, but you have to start somewhere. Background checks are necessary, to stop violent criminals from easily obtaining guns.

Why do you need to call me a name? I've been respectful to you. Is that how you respond to people who are respectful to you? Using crude insults in a debate simply shows your own limitations and minimizes anything you have to say.,

In Chicago, it is the criminal element who are getting guns from each other, not ordinary citizens who are getting guns. These are gangs, killing each other, not ordinary citizens killing ordinary citizens. Those top murder rates are in cities with big ghettos and lots of gang violence. They don't have much to do with ordinary people living in the average neighborhood in the US.

The actual issue is for the police to work on getting rid of gangs, not allowing ordinary citizens to have unlimited firearms and ammunition so that no one is safe anywhere because some ordinary citizen decides to murder his/her spouse or go nuts and kill a bunch of people.

Ok hang on.....the criminal element? So my question is what does it matter what ordinary, law abiding citizens have? It doesnt. Criminals ALREADY get guns, and they have illegal guns, like automatic weapons and such, they're not stealing those from ordinary folks.
The reason we shouldnt limit guns is, that is our way to protect us from the government. Now most would say with tanks and F22s how could we compete, well it woudl be difficult, my question is why do the big government folks want our guns?
It's not saving lives, heck they let thse morons back on the street.

Forum List

Back