Background checks in Colorado stop 38 from buying guns who were convicted of ....

They have not been stopped from buying guns. Just stopped from legally buying guns.

Oh, so we should make everything lax for them to legally buy guns. Okay...

has anyone ever suggested that????????? anyone??

Yes... the people saying that background checks should not be done. If they're not done, criminals are going to acquire the guns legally because their background is not questioned and investigated in the purchase.

We already have backgroud checks before buying firearms.

Criminals do not submit to background checks when they buy guns from each other, neither do they submit background checks on guns they steal from law abiding citizens.

this is a red herring.

want to stop gun violence????? lock up the mentally ill and lock up anyone who commits a crime with a gun for 75 years with no chance of parole.

How many guns are stolen from 'responsible citizens' in this country every year?

I don't know, do you? are you claiming it never happens?

Actually, a couple of weeks ago, I heard that between 250,000 and 400,000 guns a year are stolen with the first figure representing a number that's actually reported and the second number representing an estimate of the actual number of guns believed to be stolen with about 150,000 either not reported because the owner didn't know when the theft (alleged theft) took place or because the theft was not reported at all.

Frankly, it would not surprise me if some of the gun thefts never took place (falsely reporting a crime is a crime in and of itself) or that family members or friends simply took the guns for a wide variety of reasons, including possibly not wanting the guns in the house in the first place.

Oh, so we should make everything lax for them to legally buy guns. Okay...

Yes... the people saying that background checks should not be done. If they're not done, criminals are going to acquire the guns legally because their background is not questioned and investigated in the purchase.
Background checks didn't stop Sandy Hook, Paducah, Columbine, Aurora, Jonesboro, or any one of the hundreds upon hundreds of gangland shootings that happen on a daily basis, you fool.

Background checks didn't stop Sandy Hook, Paducah, Columbine, Aurora, Jonesboro, or any one of the hundreds upon hundreds of gangland shootings that happen on a daily basis, you fool.

So? Why is that reason we should not have background checks?

You fucking idiot. You're willing to open the flood gates because some water gets over the dam and isn't 100% effective in every single scenario.

Fucking brilliant.

You fucking idiot. You're willing to open the flood gates because some water gets over the dam and isn't 100% effective in every single scenario.

Fucking brilliant.
The reason is that they are totally ineffective...Only a pure imbecile can claim that they aren't...Which 'splains a lot here.

If the ganglland murder rates in Chicago, Detroit, LA and NYC aren't proof of that, what would be?

How many guns are stolen from 'responsible citizens' in this country every year?

Actually, a couple of weeks ago, I heard that between 250,000 and 400,000 guns a year are stolen with the first figure representing a number that's actually reported and the second number representing an estimate of the actual number of guns believed to be stolen with about 150,000 either not reported because the owner didn't know when the theft (alleged theft) took place or because the theft was not reported at all.

Frankly, it would not surprise me if some of the gun thefts never took place (falsely reporting a crime is a crime in and of itself) or that family members or friends simply took the guns for a wide variety of reasons, including possibly not wanting the guns in the house in the first place.

Ok, thanks for making my point, no background check laws would prevent those guns from being in the hands of criminals or crazy people.

Fucking brilliant.

background check laws are already on the the books, they were on the books before any ot the murders that you listed. background checks did not stop them.

how about just enforcing the laws already on the books and lock up the mentally ill and criminals?

Fucking brilliant.

background check laws are already on the the books, they were on the books before any ot the murders that you listed. background checks did not stop them.

how about just enforcing the laws already on the books and lock up the mentally ill and criminals?
Only in the mind of the crackpot American leftist dwells the belief that the complete ineffectiveness of laws means that more of them are called for...That ineptitude, incompetence, inefficiency, waste, and plain old corruption are evidence that more power needs to be put in the hands of more leftist politicians, regulators and bureaucrats.

If they're not out-and-out kooks, they must be criminally insane.

Ok, thanks for making my point, no background check laws would prevent those guns from being in the hands of criminals or crazy people.

I haven't made any point for you at all. These are examples of irresponsible gun ownership. People should be required to 'secure' their guns somewhere safe when not they're not at home since a firearm is not the equivalent of a stolen DVD player when it comes to someone being in the possession of stolen goods. People should also be required by law to report it to the police when a gun is missing. And gun insurance is also a damn good idea. None of those ideas infringe on anyone's right to own guns.

It's time to raise the standards for what constitutes responsible gun ownership.

I haven't made any point for you at all. These are examples of irresponsible gun ownership. People should be required to 'secure' their guns somewhere safe when not they're not at home since a firearm is not the equivalent of a stolen DVD player when it comes to someone being in the possession of stolen goods. People should also be required by law to report it to the police when a gun is missing. And gun insurance is also a damn good idea. None of those ideas infringe on anyone's right to own guns.

It's time to raise the standards for what constitutes responsible gun ownership.
People who steal guns or buy them from other criminals aren't responsible gun owners, fool.

so you are proposing a federal gun safe inspection agency to go house to house inspecting whether guns are properly secured from theft by criminals ?

Can you figure out the next logical progression of that???? its a test.

so you are proposing a federal gun safe inspection agency to go house to house inspecting whether guns are properly secured from theft by criminals ?

It could easily just be an insurance requirement.

It could easily just be an insurance requirement.

insurance? so you want a rider on my policy that would deny coverage if my guns were stolen but some adjuster could say that they were not properly stored?

what next, a rider for faulty toilet flapper valves?

strawman arguments by strawman reactionaries or fringies or libertarians.
Nobody who ever stole a gun or bought one on the black market ever needed to pass a background check, asswipe.

Charmed as always, Odddork. That is not the point.

but it is the entire point, background checks will do nothing to prevent gun violence by crimnals and crazy people.

sane law abiding people do not commit mass murders

They have not been stopped from buying guns. Just stopped from legally buying guns.

2,400+ people from illegally buying any gun(s).
Of course there is the illegal market, but 2,000+ gun sales prevented and felons being with penalties for their actions is one hell of a good start. More progress needs to be made!

Forum List

Back