Bashar al-Assad is still the problem

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It's true. So much attention has been focused on ISIS that Assad and what he has done is being overlooked.

With wall-to-wall coverage of Islamic State brutality, it is all too easy to forget the Syrian president's crimes
President_Bashar_a_3453711b.jpg

Forces loyal to President Assad have a deliberate policy of targeting civilians in areas beyond government control Photo: Reuters

By Shiraz Maher and Nick Kaderbhai, King's College London

10:30AM BST 26 Sep 2015

comments.gif
414 Comments

It is easy to forget the crimes of Bashar al-Assad in the ongoing crisis blighting the Middle East. Islamic State’s ascension to the zenith of the global jihadist movement has captured the world’s attention through a series of filmic releases portraying brazen barbarism.

The images of "Jihadi John" menacingly wielding a burnished knife are now well known. There are other horrors etched in our minds too, from the burning alive of the captured Jordanian pilot Muath Kassassbeh, to themass enslavement of Yazidi women. Islamic State understands the power of propaganda and has harnessed the internet to project its message across the world.

Jihadi_John__3453712b.jpg
Jihadi John

In this regard the Syrian regime is different. It does not parade its torture victims in atmospheric videos and portrays itself as a vital actor in the war against violent jihadists. However, this is not now – nor has it ever been – the case.

Shortly after the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Syria became the primary thoroughfare for foreign fighters wanting to join al-Qaeda. Assad did not just turn a Nelsonian eye to this, but actively encouraged it.

His intelligence agencies were ordered to work closely with a Salafi cleric from Aleppo named Abu Qaqa, to ensure a steady supply of recruits were delivered into Abu Musab al-Zarqawi’s hand, the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq at the time.

Continue reading at:

Assad is not the problem.

Hussein Obama is.

Go argue with the person who wrote the article. I didn't vote for Obama, but I can still realize what Assad has done to his people and I put more reliability in people who have studied the matter than a person like you.

Hussein Obama is.

Go argue with the person who wrote the article. I didn't vote for Obama, but I can still realize what Assad has done to his people and I put more reliability in people who have studied the matter than a person like you.

ok

go start another thread then

meh :dunno:

Hussein Obama is.

ok

Meh to you. I did start a thread, and you had to drag Obama in.

Hussein Obama is.

ok

meh to me? LOL

ok Sally....better go and do what you do best

start one thread after another.....endlessly :)

Hussein Obama is.

ok

meh to me? LOL

ok Sally....better go and do what you do best

start one thread after another.....endlessly :)

Well if any forum had to depend on you to start a thread, that forum would be dead before long.

By the way, dearie, your friend Obama called and said that he knows you dream about him every night and that is why you have to drag him into posts that have nothing to do with him.

Goes to show you what crackpots are on here. Does anyone think that someone has a gun to Skye's head that she has to read any of my threads?

yes, always, so are his family and followers that rape their own country and abuse the Syrian people

The Syrian Government has simply attempted to prevent the Sunni Islamists from murdering all the non-Sunnis of Syria. The U.S. has helped the Sunnis in their attempt at eliminating the Alawites, Christians and other non Sunnis in Syria. You bozos haven't figured that out yet.

The Syrian Government has simply attempted to prevent the Sunni Islamists from murdering all the non-Sunnis of Syria. The U.S. has helped the Sunnis in their attempt at eliminating the Alawites, Christians and other non Sunnis in Syria. You bozos haven't figured that out yet.

Doesn't the Bozo realize that tyrants and dictators do not like to give up any bit of their power and will do anything to keep hold of it, even if it means killing their own civilians.

Looks like Obama is resigned to Assad stayin' in power...

US Sees Assad Staying in Syria Until March 2017
Jan 06, 2016 | WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration's best-case scenario for political transition in Syria does not foresee Bashar Assad stepping down as the country's leader before March 2017, outlasting Barack Obama's presidency by at least two months, according to a document obtained by The Associated Press.
An internal timeline prepared for U.S. officials dealing with the Syria crisis sets an unspecified date in March 2017 for Assad to "relinquish" his position as president and for his "inner circle" to depart. That would be more than five years after Obama first called for Assad to leave. The State Department said Wednesday the timeline was prepared late last year as a guide for Secretary of State John Kerry and other U.S. diplomats working on a political transition for Syria. Spokesman John Kirby described the document as a "staff-level think piece" that is "preliminary and pre-decisional" and not "an official position." He also said it is "not an accurate projection of plans by the international community to effect a political transition in Syria."

However, many of the milestones mentioned in the document comport with the basics of the U.N.-endorsed plan and other officials said they were an accurate reflection of the administration's thinking. One official, who like the others spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private document, said the goal for Assad to leave in March 2017 might slip even further. According to the timeline, Syria would hold elections for a new president and parliament in August 2017 -- some 19 months from now. In the interim, Syria would be run by a transitional governing body. Countless hurdles lie ahead for implementation of this latest blueprint for ending five years of conflict that has killed more than a quarter-million people, created the worst European refugee crisis since World War II and allowed the Islamic State group to carve out a would-be caliphate across parts of Iraq and Syria.

Not the least of those hurdles is the growing rift between Sunni-led Saudi Arabia and Shiite-ruled Iran, which back opposite sides in the Syria conflict and had to be lobbied heavily to agree to meet in Vienna to craft a way forward for the war-torn country. Saudi Arabia executed a prominent Shiite cleric and then severed diplomatic relations with Iran this week after its embassy in Tehran was stormed by a mob protesting the death. It is not yet clear what impact those developments might have on the Syria negotiations. If Saudi-Iranian tensions can be overcome, if peace talks between the Syrian government and opposition go ahead later this month as planned and if they are successful, the biggest challenge to the U.S. timeline is still that no one else has yet agreed to its specifics, particularly those related to Assad's departure.

Assad has steadfastly refused to step down while his nation's terrorist threat, as he sees it, persists. The timeline offers no explanation for exactly how Assad would leave or what his post-presidential future might hold. And his chief backers, Russia and Iran, have resisted all efforts by outside powers to determine Syria's future leadership, insisting that is a decision for the Syrian people. Russia and Iran may object to the U.S. timeline's call for Assad to leave six months before elections would be held. In addition, the Syrian opposition wants Assad out as soon as possible. The opposition along with U.S. allies like Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey could view the American concept as a betrayal.

MORE

See also:

US-led Coalition: ISIS has Lost 30 Percent of its Territory
Jan 05, 2016 | The U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group said Tuesday that the militants have lost 30 percent of the territory they once held in Iraq and Syria.
Baghdad-based spokesman Col. Steve Warren told reporters the extremists have lost 40 percent of their territory in Iraq and 20 percent in Syria, adding that they are now in a "defensive crouch." Since the U.S.-led coalition began launching airstrikes in 2014, Kurdish forces have pushed IS out of parts of northern Iraq, including the town of Sinjar, and driven the extremists out of a band of Syrian territory along the Turkish border. Further south, Iraqi forces and Shiite militias recaptured the Iraqi city of Tikrit last year. But IS has also made fresh advances, capturing the Syrian town of Palmyra -- home to famed Roman-era ruins -- and the western Iraqi city of Ramadi in May of last year.

isis-weapons-displayed-600.jpg

Iraqi security forces and allied Sunni tribal fighters display weapons used by Islamic State militants to attack their city in Haditha, 240 kilometers (150 miles) northwest of Baghdad, Iraq​

Iraqi forces backed by U.S.-led airstrikes drove Islamic State militants from Ramadi's city center last month, recapturing most of the provincial capital of the sprawling Anbar province. "All of these things add up and we believe this enemy is weaker," Warren said, adding that IS has not gained any new territory since May. "Militarily they are struggling," he added. IS has continued to launch attacks at Iraqi military positions in Anbar province. Car bomb attacks on the outskirts of the city of Haditha on Monday killed 11, just a week after IS was pushed out of Ramadi. IS still holds much of northern and western Iraq, including the country's second-largest city Mosul, and large parts of Syria. It also boasts increasingly potent affiliates in Libya, Egypt, Yemen and Afghanistan.

US-led Coalition: ISIS has Lost 30 Percent of its Territory | Military.com

Related:

Iran-Saudi Rift Complicates U.S. Campaign Against ISIS
Jan 05, 2016 | The U.S. military braced Monday for possible fallout from the Iran-Saudi Arabia rift on the campaign against the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq.
"It's not having an effect at the moment," but "it's something we're tracking closely," Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, said of the escalating dispute between the Sunni Saudi kingdom and the Shia Iranians over the execution by the Saudis of a Shia cleric. Iran has major influence over Shia militias in Iraq, and Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi made a point of keeping the Shia militias out of the recent offensive against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) that took the city center of mainly Sunni Ramadi about 70 miles east of Baghdad. The U.S. had also warned that it would withhold air support for the Ramadi offensive if the Shia militias, known as the Popular Mobilization Forces, were involved.

In Syria, Iran has backed the regime of President Bashar al-Assad while Saudi Arabia has provided financial support for Sunni rebels fighting to topple the regime. Iran and Saudi Arabia are already fighting a proxy war in Yemen, where the Saudis are backing the government that was ousted from the capital, Sanaa, by Shia Houthi rebels. The execution last week of Shia cleric Nimr al-Nimr -- one of 47 executions carried out by the Saudis on the same day -- widened the already deep Shia-Sunni sectarian rift in the region. In Tehran, protesters set fire to the Saudi embassy. In Iraq, two Sunni mosques in mostly Shia Hilla province were bombed over the weekend.

On Monday, Bahrain and Sudan joined the Saudis in severing relations with Iran. Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir told Reuters that air traffic and commercial relations with Iran were also being cut off. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) downgraded relations with Iran while not completely severing ties. Other Sunni Gulf Arab states such as Kuwait, Qatar and Oman, did not take any immediate action. Russia and China followed the U.S. in urging restraint and diplomacy on both Iran and Saudi Arabia. "We want to see tensions reduced, we want to see dialogue restored," said John Kirby, the State Department spokesman. Kirby also noted that the U.S. had expressed "concerns" to the Saudis over the executions.

In a rare statement on Mideast tensions, the foreign ministry of China, which depends heavily on oil imports from the Mideast, urged Saudi Arabia and Iran to negotiate "to properly resolve differences, and work together to safeguard the region's peace and stability." Russia's foreign ministry called on the Saudis and Iranians to "show restraint and to avoid any steps that might escalate the situation and raise tensions including interreligious ones."

Iran-Saudi Rift Complicates U.S. Campaign Against ISIS | Military.com

Last edited:
She is so confused, she is now supporting Sunni Islamists, and probably doesn't even know it. LOL

Assad and his Shiite thugs in Syria have killed hundreds of thousands of Sunni Syrians using the countries military. Shiites Islamists or Sunni Islamists, two sides of the same Islamic barbarian coin. They have been slaughtering each other for 1400 years.

Obama stood by after he drew the red line and let Assad slaughter his own people. There would not be an ISIS or Assad today if we had the right president in office.

Doesn't the Bozo realize that tyrants and dictators do not like to give up any bit of their power and will do anything to keep hold of it, even if it means killing their own civilians.

Who are you to call an elected president a tyrant and a dictator?

What do you know about Syria, mideast and islam, to judge the people and their choices?

Let me tell you something; things may seem different when you are sitting in your comfy couch in your comfy room, but they are HELL a lot different when you are living in a sectarian conflict where people are chopping each others heads from left and right...........

Forum List

Back